Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Honesty reel servicing is so in expensive that I don't even consider warranty. If the reel is a lemon out of the box then paypal/my credit card should be enough protection. For rods I care a little, but I put more stock in buying from a dealer who will take care of me (American Legacy/Tackle Trap) more then the manufacture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
One year warranties are kinda pointless, but I love sending a 2-3 year old reel and getting it back brand new for $20. Shimano hasn’t ever charged me for parts if I send the reel in. Ends up being way cheaper then doing it myself, which I still do at times for quicker turn around.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

speaking of reels, is there such a thing as a relatively cheap, reliable spincast reel? My wife refuses to use anything else, and I'm tired of having to replace hers every year or two after they rust or fall apart. Jesus, I have poorly-maintained surf reels that got salt and sand coated that lasted years longer than the average stupid Zebco spincast.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

speaking of reels, is there such a thing as a relatively cheap, reliable spincast reel? My wife refuses to use anything else, and I'm tired of having to replace hers every year or two after they rust or fall apart. Jesus, I have poorly-maintained surf reels that got salt and sand coated that lasted years longer than the average stupid Zebco spincast.

I really like Mitchell reels, but I also have this thing that I picked up cheap off amazon that's been fantastic.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

gamera009 posted:

I really like Mitchell reels, but I also have this thing that I picked up cheap off amazon that's been fantastic.

looking more for spincast than spinning. I've tried and tried repeatedly to get her to switch to spinning, but she, my father, and my sister all simply refuse for reasons I can't fathom. I have cheap spinning reels I bought 20 years ago that I still use today and they work perfectly

EDIT: LOL at the $5.46 Zebco 202 there. The old fart at my local tackle shop quit selling them because half of the people came back wanting a refund when it didn't last a single bream fishing trip.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Kind of made a random decision the other day for my freshwater endeavors this year: I am going to put up the soft plastics and jigs, and go full on squarebills/cranks, chatter, spinner, and swimbaits (only soft plastic allowed).

I had huge experience and success in the distant past with worms and jigs, and not so much in the recent past This is especially true out of my kayak. I have also been neglecting many different crank baits, namely jerk and spy, along with deeper running cranks.

This decision is partially to cut down on my decision making process in the boat, and also cut down on the gear. A full box of tackle, and 4 rods is a bit ridiculous. 2 rods would be loving sweet and way easier than sitting there and doing a running guess of decisions. I know I could potentially have some handcuffing of my "success" due to running into potential situations where I actually NEED soft plastics, but I could potentially just use a swimbait in that scenario.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

There is no such thing as a decent spincast reel. The best I’ve seen was a $60 zebco that appeared to have some metal parts. Spinners are stupid easy, if they can’t use one then Fishing just isn’t for them. What happens when it’s time to learn knots?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

tesilential posted:

There is no such thing as a decent spincast reel. The best I’ve seen was a $60 zebco that appeared to have some metal parts. Spinners are stupid easy, if they can’t use one then Fishing just isn’t for them. What happens when it’s time to learn knots?

Knots? That's apparently what I'm for. For some godawful reason none of them seem to be able to transition from reel-over-rod reeling with the right hand to reel-under-rod reeling with the left, they always try it upside down when they can be convinced to.

It's weird, there USED to be decent spincast reels. My dad had the same Zebco 404 from the early 70s until the late 90s and it kept working just dandy. I had a Zebco 33 that lasted for almost 10. Last 10 years or so though, I have yet to see one that works more than 2 seasons.

And while I'm in a complaining mood, screw you fish; even though the bream are moving back into shallow water, all they would do was stare at live bait today without touching it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I have arthritis and I am a lanky bastard and I use a Shimano spinning reel just fine. It will take her roughly 20 mins to adjust.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Beautiful day out on the water instead of working, fish were a bonus.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Is that a dhufish?

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Is that a dhufish?

The bottom one is yeah, top is a Baldchin Groper and middle is a Breaksea or Black-arse cod.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

hagie posted:

Kind of made a random decision the other day for my freshwater endeavors this year: I am going to put up the soft plastics and jigs, and go full on squarebills/cranks, chatter, spinner, and swimbaits (only soft plastic allowed).

I had huge experience and success in the distant past with worms and jigs, and not so much in the recent past This is especially true out of my kayak. I have also been neglecting many different crank baits, namely jerk and spy, along with deeper running cranks.

This decision is partially to cut down on my decision making process in the boat, and also cut down on the gear. A full box of tackle, and 4 rods is a bit ridiculous. 2 rods would be loving sweet and way easier than sitting there and doing a running guess of decisions. I know I could potentially have some handcuffing of my "success" due to running into potential situations where I actually NEED soft plastics, but I could potentially just use a swimbait in that scenario.

I'm not giving anything up, but I have gone full on crazy over swimbaits lately. Everything from 6 inch Hudds and another huge plastics down to tiny little 2 1/2 inch Keitechs.

I think you probably could get away with just using swimbaits as your sole plastic, so long as you kept reasonable variety of them.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I have a ton of paddle tail Keitechs (sp?) in varying colors and sizes.

I could also use a spinnerbait as a jig in a pinch.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

hagie posted:

I have a ton of paddle tail Keitechs (sp?) in varying colors and sizes.

I could also use a spinnerbait as a jig in a pinch.

I wanna say Stanley makes a spinner that is designed to helicopter down, so people use them for pitching stuff.

Do you mostly fish still or moving water? I think I could deal with no-plastics in rivers and such, but I need my rubber worms for ponds and stuff.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I have primarily been fishing decent sized lakes in a kayak.

It could be that where I am fishing they are more apt to strike non-plastics but last year, every strike I had (miss or catch) was on a squarebill. Specifically an Arashi Silent Squarebill in Parrot (Chartreuse with blue back).

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

hagie posted:

last year, every strike I had (miss or catch) was on a squarebill. Specifically an Arashi Silent Squarebill in Parrot (Chartreuse with blue back).

That would certainly simplify things!

Both of them current obsession with swimbaits, large and small, i'm trying to do a little bit of a back-to-basics thing this year. I'm going to primarily focus on jigs, trick worms, curly tail worms, and senkos.

Which is still incredibly broad category of presentations, but I'm really trying to simplify things down.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I had “ok” success on Wacky Rigged Senkos. I run more into hooking issues with that with the kayak removing some of the hook setting power...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ElZilcho posted:

Beautiful day out on the water instead of working, fish were a bonus.

Man those look just like a US pacific Black Rockfish, yelloweye rockfish and well ok the top one doesn’t have a comparison.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I thought the one on top was a red snapper tbh

I’m also color blind.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Man those look just like a US pacific Black Rockfish, yelloweye rockfish and well ok the top one doesn’t have a comparison.

I just looked those fish up and drat they are similar. Amazing how fish from such different areas retain certain similarities.

Top and bottom fish are only found here in Western Australia. Middle one is found all around our coast.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

hagie posted:

I had “ok” success on Wacky Rigged Senkos. I run more into hooking issues with that with the kayak removing some of the hook setting power...

That's weird as most people will have the opposite problem, which is not detecting the bite until the bass has swallowed it.

If your rigging a senko wacky the "traditional" way the hook should be exposed, which should result in an incredibly good hook up ratio. When you go back to them, you could try using a circle hook so you don't need a lot of force or pressure to set the hook.

I have hoolset issues of my kayak, but only with thick jig hooks and such. However, probably the best kayak fisherman I know uses jigs about 90% of the time, so it's clearly something that one can figure out.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I use the 3 0 weedless hooks with the wire that settles against the hook and X the o rings so the hook is perpendicular to the bait.

I think most of my “ok” success is hook set or size of fish in comparison to the hook. A few times may have been some smaller bluegill or something else not being able to take the hook.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I absolutely had trouble with wacky hooksets on my lovely canoe until I crimped the Barb's and switched to Trokars

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ElZilcho posted:

I just looked those fish up and drat they are similar. Amazing how fish from such different areas retain certain similarities.

Top and bottom fish are only found here in Western Australia. Middle one is found all around our coast.

Yeah that caused me some pain when I went fishing in Florida and found out groups of all sizes have some wicked sharp needle teeth where as pacific rockfish have basically sandpaper for teeth until about 18 inches.
Some little rear end in a top hat 5 inch minnow has a taste for blood out in Pensacola.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

hagie posted:

I use the 3 0 weedless hooks with the wire that settles against the hook and X the o rings so the hook is perpendicular to the bait.

I think most of my “ok” success is hook set or size of fish in comparison to the hook. A few times may have been some smaller bluegill or something else not being able to take the hook.

It's the hooks. Try like a #1 or a 1/0 and ditch the weedless. They are mostly awful, especially the wire ones.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Anybody experienced catching stripers? They don't live where I live so I have little experience with them, but I love surf fishing and stripers are on my bucket list.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Went for a couple of after work fishing trips this week. Wednesday evening I was out in a mates boat, between us we got 17 squid in about 2 hours which was pretty good going. Tonight we hit up a local surf beach. Conditions were perfect, offshore wind, very low swell and high tide right on sunset. No one told the fish though and we didn't get a single hit all evening.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Only got one 7" bream today and something enthusiastic on my catfish line that threw the hook halfway in.

This guy however was scrounging for crawdads below the dam, and when I went to see what he was yelling about, he told me this monstrous goddamn snapping turtle almost took his finger off instead

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Went out with my dad and brother not expecting much but just glad to be out of the house and in some nice weather. Old faithful watermelon red flake senko got 9. Had a couple over 2 lbs. that were in the slot, everything else ended up in the livewell. Between the 3 of us I think we got 20. Not a bad start to 2018.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

New personal best today at 7lbs. and some change. We caught about 30 on a combo of brush hogs and zoom double ringers. Plus a pretty big crappie.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Well, at least I didn't go home empty-handed yesterday.

Still, this constant up-down-up-down temperature game is getting annoying; bass should typically have long since started bedding by now, but the water still feels like low/mid 50s

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

D’oh! Take him home as a pet!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

D’oh! Take him home as a pet!

Since he was the only thing willing to bite (despite having 3 other lines out for catfish and some halfhearted Hula Popping and buzzbaiting), I granted him his life.

Five bucks the family across the lake caught him when I left and ate him then and there.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Public service message by some idiot on FB.

I mean tilapia is gross but no need to get weird about it.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I dunno, a boneless, skinless fish that can't be overcooked sounds awesome.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Still, this constant up-down-up-down temperature game is getting annoying; bass should typically have long since started bedding by now, but the water still feels like low/mid 50s

Spoke too soon; today saw no less than 15 in a huge clear area right at the water's edge that were completely uninterested in anything live, dead, or artificial I threw at them and instead sniffed the dirt and chased each other.

That's right, rather than being productive, I spent the afternoon watching fish gently caress.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

So on Monday I'll have 3 hours to kill in Washington, NC on the Pamlico River. Haven't fished much brackish water before, anything special I should try for stripers or should my normal saltwater strategy of "sling out two minnow rods on the bottom and one bloodworm alternative rod" suffice?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Trip Report: first two bass hits of the year today.

Hit 1: live bluegill. I see him take it; when I set the hook, bait and all pop harmlessly out of his mouth. Jerk.

Hit 2: I decide to try out a senko for the first time (not being very good with or having much luck with soft plastics for years, this thread goaded me into trying them). Wacky rig it, toss it out. On the fourth or fifth twitch of the very first cast, I am too dumbfounded by the fact that an angry bass has grabbed it and surfaced to remember to set the drat hook and he never comes back for a second grab.

Missed Opportunity: I see two nice sized (18-24 inches I would guesstimate) bass swimming by; as I quickly pull my gear in to toss bait in front of them, my line wraps around a tree that I am still fighting with when they lazily swim out of sight

I also realize that holy poo poo I'm like the last three posts here. Forgive me, I'm obsessed :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Trip Report: first two bass hits of the year today.

Hit 1: live bluegill. I see him take it; when I set the hook, bait and all pop harmlessly out of his mouth. Jerk.

Hit 2: I decide to try out a senko for the first time (not being very good with or having much luck with soft plastics for years, this thread goaded me into trying them). Wacky rig it, toss it out. On the fourth or fifth twitch of the very first cast, I am too dumbfounded by the fact that an angry bass has grabbed it and surfaced to remember to set the drat hook and he never comes back for a second grab.

Missed Opportunity: I see two nice sized (18-24 inches I would guesstimate) bass swimming by; as I quickly pull my gear in to toss bait in front of them, my line wraps around a tree that I am still fighting with when they lazily swim out of sight

I also realize that holy poo poo I'm like the last three posts here. Forgive me, I'm obsessed :(

Senkos just work. I can catch fish on the cheaper BPS stik-o's but it seems like the stupidly expensive senko's just have a higher hit rate in my COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVE OPINION. I'd say it's like 80:100