Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I feel like a dumbass for having to ask this, but is there no way to change the overall font size in Safari now? There used to be a tab under the Safari system preferences where I could change font sizes by increments (i think 25% increments?). I think it was initially 125% and a pull-down menu allowed me to either raise it or lower it as I pleased... but I can't find the option now. My only choice is going to Advanced and clicking the Accessibility text box to never use font sizes smaller than whatever (9 is the default). I feel like I'm going crazy, because the option I was looking for was just there like a week or so ago.

Sometimes I flip between 1280x800 and 1440x900 on my 12-inch MacBook and I'd usually adjust the Safari text size as well.

Did you try ⌘+ ⌘- ?

It's under View.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

FYI ⌘+ (zoom in) ⌘- (zoom out) ⌘0 (pixel accurate or zoom 100%) are standard across almost any macOS app where you might want to zoom. Everyone interprets it differently i.e. browsers might want to reflow larger text but not necessarily enlarge every boundary box so it gets weird

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Mu Zeta posted:

There's been three generations of Intel NUCs since the last Mac Mini update. Apple needs to just slap an Apple log on a NUC for $700.

I'm still holding out hope that the Pro and Mini get re-designed at the same time and in a similar fashion.

Mini: i5-i7, consumer RAM, one 2.5" HD slot (please) and a gumstick SSD, integrated video, no PCI slots
Pro: Xeon, ECC RAM, couple of 2.5" HD slots + couple of gumstick SSDs, two PCI slots

Boy will my face be red when the new Mini is ARM-powered and fits in an AppleTV case and the Pro is a levitating sphere that costs $6k but a boy can dream.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

more like mini: soldered ram, soldered laptop cpu, ridiculously fast nvme drive pushing 3GB/s reads, no dgpu
pro: xeon, ecc, at normal prices but small apple tax, overpriced dgpu, 1x pcie 4x, bonded proprietary ssd like the imac pro

just try and say that's not likely.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
More like

Mini: Discontinued

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Any recommendations for USB-C hubs that have at least 3 or 4 usb-a and one HDMI? I’d like something that can sit on my desk at work so that when I get to work I can just plug it in and go.

Amazon seems flooded with brands I’ve never heard of and the reviews for them makes them seem pretty janky in terms of quality.

Edit: Ethernet port would be a bonus

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 25, 2018

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mahoning posted:

Any recommendations for USB-C hubs that have at least 3 or 4 usb-a and one HDMI? I’d like something that can sit on my desk at work so that when I get to work I can just plug it in and go.

Amazon seems flooded with brands I’ve never heard of and the reviews for them makes them seem pretty janky in terms of quality.

Edit: Ethernet port would be a bonus

This dodocool one has been working well for me.

dodocool USB-C Hub Type C Charger with Power Delivery Charging Port ( 3 USB 3.0 Ports, 4K Video HD/VGA Output Port, Gigabit Ethernet Adapter ) for MacBook/MacBook Pro/Google Chromebook Pixel https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06WWRDMKP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_WMSKAbZY1MFBV

I can’t find any extenders that actually maintain full functionality. They either preserve the display or the usb hub function of a dongle, but not both.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Housh posted:

Moisturize your face or beard dandruff will disable your keyboard

Another reason to ban beards

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

tuyop posted:

This dodocool one has been working well for me.

dodocool USB-C Hub Type C Charger with Power Delivery Charging Port ( 3 USB 3.0 Ports, 4K Video HD/VGA Output Port, Gigabit Ethernet Adapter ) for MacBook/MacBook Pro/Google Chromebook Pixel https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06WWRDMKP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_WMSKAbZY1MFBV

I can’t find any extenders that actually maintain full functionality. They either preserve the display or the usb hub function of a dongle, but not both.

AppleInsider recently reviewed a multipurpose USB-C hub from ioGear that had similar issues:

AppleInsider posted:

The IOGear USB-C Compact Docking Station with Power Delivery Pass-Thru is intended for USB 3.1 generation 1 Type-C gear like the MacBook. Given the Thunderbolt 3 spec, it can also be used on the 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro, and the 2017 iMac line.

We tested it on a 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro, a 2016 MacBook, and briefly, a 2017 20-inch 4K iMac.

There are some limitations of the USB 3.1 type C connectivity, given the limited bandwidth. During our first look, we hadn't yet felt-out how much, but we've got a pretty good idea now.

One USB 3.0 SSD in a UASP-compatible case capable of 500 megabytes per second on when connected to a 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro hit about 300 megabytes per second when connected to the dock with no other peripherals attached.

Attaching a keyboard lowered that to about 275MB per second. Connecting a 1080p display at 60Hz without the keyboard cut that to 180 megabytes per second, and tossing on a 4K display instead of the 1080p one brought that even lower to just over 100 megabytes per second. So, clearly, the GUD3C03 isn't intended for mass storage plus a bandwidth-sucking display connected at the same time.

From looking at a bunch of Amazon reviews, pretty much all the lower cost USB-C hubs have this same failing- storage transfer speeds suffer if a high resolution display is connected.

Thunderbolt hubs don't have these issues, but they're a fuckton more expensive.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 25, 2018

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Another reason to ban beards
This should come with new Macs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

AppleInsider recently reviewed a multipurpose USB-C hub from ioGear that had similar issues:

From looking at a bunch of Amazon reviews, pretty much all the lower cost USB-C hubs have this same failing- storage transfer speeds suffer if a high resolution display is connected.

They're all the same couple chipsets aren't they?

Binary Badger posted:

Thunderbolt hubs don't have these issues, but they're a fuckton more expensive.

They have their own issues.

I think the reason that Apple doesn't release it's own line of USB-C docks (and never released a loving Thunderbolt dock, either, except for the monitor), is either they couldn't get the loving thing to work right or the userland of peripherals is just too poo poo to even try fixing all the stupid cases. I mean they can't even get that piece of poo poo USB-C to HDMI adapter to work right.

You're basically making your own FW/USB/Video/LAN/sound/etc chipset at that point, aren't you?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So I guess the answer is either buy an affordable one and cross your fingers that it doesn’t burst into flames (or stop working), or buy a super expensive one and worry less that it’ll burst into flames (or stop working)?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

They're all the same couple chipsets aren't they?

Pretty sure Apple's using either TI or Intel controllers; deffo Intel for the Thunderbolt part.

quote:

I think the reason that Apple doesn't release it's own line of USB-C docks (and never released a loving Thunderbolt dock, either, except for the monitor), is either they couldn't get the loving thing to work right or the userland of peripherals is just too poo poo to even try fixing all the stupid cases. I mean they can't even get that piece of poo poo USB-C to HDMI adapter to work right.

IMHO it's more like they don't want to invest any money in supporting five zillion third party vendors having issues hooking up to a hub.

They'd rather not pay the script-readers at the Tech Support line money for trying to support something not sold by Apple.

I think it's part of the reason why they shitcanned their Thunderbolt monitors and it took popular outrage to bring them back, because they were pretty much useful hubs as well.

Part of Apple's mantra has always been "NIH?! FU!"*

* = Not Invented Here?! gently caress yoUUUU

Edit: Another part of their mantra is 'we only want to service what we sold you.' Which dovetails into why they've eliminated using slots for RAM and SSD.. they may have done some bean-counting on their service calls and found a significant amount came from people shoving third party parts into their Macs. So what to do? Fix it so you can't put anything third party in!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 26, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: Apple posted a guide for hooking up 4K / 5K displays along with Ultra HD TVs to your Mac: :siren:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206587

What's supported, which models will support 60 Hz, etc.

Clip and save, might come in handy..

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: Apple posted a guide for hooking up 4K / 5K displays along with Ultra HD TVs to your Mac: :siren:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206587

What's supported, which models will support 60 Hz, etc.

Clip and save, might come in handy..

Isn't that a couple years old?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Isn't that a couple years old?

Apple posted:

Published Date: Feb 22, 2018

It may have existed in a different form only covering 4K and Mac Pro specifically, I'd imagine.

If it's a pre-existing technote they usually put something like published thisdate, revised thatdate.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Yeah that exact guide has been around a few years. The 5K stuff is probably what was added.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

What is a fair price for a 2015 rMBP 13", 256gb/8gb/i5 with moderate wear and a good battery but with 800 cycles on it?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

What is a fair price for a 2015 rMBP 13", 256gb/8gb/i5 with moderate wear and a good battery but with 800 cycles on it?

$20, but I’ll give you $30 plus shipping because I don’t mind throwing a bone to a fellow goon.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Weedle posted:

$20, but I’ll give you $30 plus shipping because I don’t mind throwing a bone to a fellow goon.

I’ll give you $100 plus shipping

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

If anyone is selling those new slim MacBooks, I'll take one off your hands for 0.005802 btc.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

Go to eBay, search those specs and look at sold listings

Take 10%ish off if selling in person

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

$550?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Man I didn’t think about it but we’re about to sell the iMac I’m currently using and I’m so glad I don’t have to worry about what kind of shape the battery is in.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My favourite use of the Touch Bar is pressing approve or deny in Little Snitch.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/27/apple-to-allow-repairs-of-vintage-mid-2011-imac/

Rather unusual for Apple to extend the 'life' of any hardware, and this is a first for any iMac model.

This was the last of the 'thick' aluminum iMacs, the next model, the Late 2012, chopped off eight-nine pounds of weight and was the first of the now thinner iMac models of today.

Also notable for being one of the iMacs that can enter Target Display Mode (iMac has to be booted into macOS and logged in, though.)

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

Also notable for being one of the iMacs that can enter Target Display Mode (iMac has to be booted into macOS and logged in, though.)
I still use my 2010 27" iMac as a display for my Windows gaming computer and Plex server. Works great.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Thunderbolt only though, not DisplayPort.

Housh posted:

I still use my 2010 27" iMac as a display for my Windows gaming computer and Plex server. Works great.
Yeah this was the best model since it was just a normal DisplayPort input. I even had that Kanex adapter so I could plug in HDMI devices.

DawntoDust
Dec 11, 2006

Glory is Fleeting,
Obscurity is Forever
So a drink got knocked over onto my mid-2011 15" MBP that has trucked along before the accident like a champ. It refuses to start so I'm assuming the logic board is probably toast. My question is if it's worth it to pay for a board replacement because I'm pretty sure that 2011s are pretty close to getting dumped into the non-supported cycle.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The 2011s are already "vintage". Even if they weren't, I wouldn't pay for a replacement logic board because Apple never resolved the GPU issue, so your new board could still be a ticking time bomb.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Is there a thread recommendation for a wireless keyboard?

I would be using it on just one mac computer, at work (shared office so no mechanical keyboard). A numberpad would be really nice, as would the mac function keys (but I have most mapped on my mouse so that's not a big issue). And USB powered, I don't want to muck around with rechargeable batteries.

Obviously the Apple magic keyboard with number pad comes to mind, but it's very expensive at 150 US$. The logitech K780 ticks most boxes and is about half that price, but the keys are round (weird) and it's got this device switching gimmick that I would never use. Any other options? Does anyone have experience with these boards?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

LPG Giant posted:

I would be using it on just one mac computer, at work (shared office so no mechanical keyboard). A numberpad would be really nice, as would the mac function keys (but I have most mapped on my mouse so that's not a big issue). And USB powered, I don't want to muck around with rechargeable batteries.

Obviously the Apple magic keyboard with number pad comes to mind, but it's very expensive at 150 US$. The logitech K780 ticks most boxes and is about half that price, but the keys are round (weird) and it's got this device switching gimmick that I would never use. Any other options? Does anyone have experience with these boards?

http://matias.ca/aluminum/wireless/

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

LPG Giant posted:

Why not go with the Logitech K750? I’ve had mine for 3 years or so and it’s been great.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LPG Giant posted:

Buy a used Apple wireless keyboard for like $35?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

My brother just sold his on Craigslist for like $50 so I’m sure you can find used out there too.

DawntoDust
Dec 11, 2006

Glory is Fleeting,
Obscurity is Forever

Splinter posted:

The 2011s are already "vintage". Even if they weren't, I wouldn't pay for a replacement logic board because Apple never resolved the GPU issue, so your new board could still be a ticking time bomb.

What I figured. Thanks though, looks like it’s refurb hunting with my tax return right now wish me luck!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Splinter posted:

The 2011s are already "vintage".
It's a 7 year old computer.

DawntoDust
Dec 11, 2006

Glory is Fleeting,
Obscurity is Forever

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's a 7 year old computer.

Yea I know old laptops that actually still work until some rear end knocks over a drink die hard. I’ll miss the beast. It was a good one only 1 battery replacement and no other bs otherwise.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

DawntoDust posted:

Yea I know old laptops that actually still work until some rear end knocks over a drink die hard. I’ll miss the beast. It was a good one only 1 battery replacement and no other bs otherwise.

Do you have renter's insurance or homeowner's insurance? Mine covered liquid damage to my MacBook Pro. Then again you stand to lose your no-claim benefit, which isn't a huge deal for renter's insurance but could be significant for homeowner's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll go with this one. A second-hand keyboard just feels a bit nasty. It's something you touch so often and is hard to clean.