Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Samsung is notably absent.

I'm gonna do a rare thing and defend Samsung here. The reason they're not on that list isn't entirely Samsung's fault, they release security updates on a timely basis, but it's carriers fault. There are no "OEM" Samsung devices anymore and you buy them from carriers, with whom Samsung signs agreements with for how many updates come out. For example, the agreement with Rogers dictates 4 security updates/year, so quarterly. Rogers gets the update from Samsung when that quarter deadline hits, they do whatever testing they need, then release it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm gonna do a rare thing and defend Samsung here. The reason they're not on that list isn't entirely Samsung's fault, they release security updates on a timely basis, but it's carriers fault. There are no "OEM" Samsung devices anymore and you buy them from carriers, with whom Samsung signs agreements with for how many updates come out. For example, the agreement with Rogers dictates 4 security updates/year, so quarterly. Rogers gets the update from Samsung when that quarter deadline hits, they do whatever testing they need, then release it.

There are unlocked OEM Samsung devices you can order from the Samsung website, but yeah the Carriers have a lock on things in the USA and I assume Canada is similar

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Samsung is large enough at this point that they could make a stand on this subject and throw their weight around Apple style, but they don't.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rastor posted:

There are unlocked OEM Samsung devices you can order from the Samsung website, but yeah the Carriers have a lock on things in the USA and I assume Canada is similar

Interesting, all the models in Canada, even the ones straight from Samsung, always will lock to the first carrier SIM inserted (as they download the carrier apps, config, etc). In my head I was recalling back to when there was a Google Play Edition Samsung phone, etc.

bull3964 posted:

Samsung is large enough at this point that they could make a stand on this subject and throw their weight around Apple style, but they don't.

Correct, that's why I said I don't "entirely" blame Samsung, but I still do a little. You're absolutely right.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

hotsauce posted:

drat I didn't realize Fleksy was back. Thought it died a while back. Neato.

Well, I wouldn't go that far, its only had the most basic of updates in a while

It still works well though

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm pretty sure this applies to the LGs, too, though.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

There are no "OEM" Samsung devices anymore and you buy them from carriers, with whom Samsung signs agreements with for how many updates come out.

This is the problem, and it's 100% Samsungs fault and they could easily change it, they just don't because they get money from carriers for these deals. It's gross and yet another reason to add to the list of why you should never buy a Samsung phone.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Trying to get used to gboard and just discovered the one hand keyboard. It works similar to the Windows Phone 10 one so I approve as windows phone keyboard was the best I've used.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Bestbuy ever carries the unlocked s8/+ in store

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Unfortunately the OEM unlocked Samsung versions don't receive updates any faster than the carrier branded versions, but it's at least nice to not have tons of carrier bloat preinstalled

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rastor posted:

Unfortunately the OEM unlocked Samsung versions don't receive updates any faster than the carrier branded versions, but it's at least nice to not have tons of carrier bloat preinstalled

In fact, I think in general they get them less frequently.

I think though the main reason why Samsung is excluded in this Google effort is they have their own enterprise initiative with Knox.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bull3964 posted:

Looks like we have a new "safe" list of devices from a security perspective.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/...otorola-others/

Devices are:

G6

Gonna be pretty funny having a phone in 2020 with the newest security update still running Android 7.0. :newlol:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

codo27 posted:

Gf got her Essential today, I was telling her to get in on the Oreo beta but you have to sideload it. Even says on their own site not to use the OEM cable cause its USB 2.0 and some people experience trouble, that kinda sucks. You guys have any experience with it?

Going back to this, apparently you can now opt in for the 8.1 beta and update OTA.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I am a unique snowflake so I decided to go for a Xiaomi Mi Max 2. It's hilariously big at 6.44". I have small hands and it's a challenge to one hand this thing. So far it's pretty great. Pretty good value at ~$265 USD including FedEx and import duties (to Canada).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

weird bug

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

That's his bitcoin wallet address

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Thats his darkweb pgp key

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

That's his launch code

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Digital Jesus posted:

That's his launch code

I don't want to send that kind of message.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

I don't want to send that kind of message.
It's okay it stopped working over a year ago

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
check out my sick new background Instagram graciously gave me when I tried to open the app

logikv9 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 23, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've had that happen before too though not with Instagram. It didn't go away until I restarted the phone I think, though I might've been able to just restart Nova.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

For a while HBO Go did that all the time (and to the stock launcher)

https://twitter.com/volumedownpower/status/802634237044203520

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yep, had that happen for the first time with an article opened from the google now feed on the left and using chrome.

Was really weird.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Not sure if this is android-specific or what, but I just got a call from a number without enough digits???
I'm not going to put the full number in in case it's something sensitive, but it was like "+199XXXX". US based. Anyone seen anything like that? I picked it up, waited a few seconds, then it hung up once I said "hello". (Some robocalls wait to start talking until they hear a sound)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

RZA Encryption posted:

Not sure if this is android-specific or what, but I just got a call from a number without enough digits???
I'm not going to put the full number in in case it's something sensitive, but it was like "+199XXXX". US based. Anyone seen anything like that? I picked it up, waited a few seconds, then it hung up once I said "hello". (Some robocalls wait to start talking until they hear a sound)

From my very brief research, it sounds like numbers can be spoofed to show whatever they want. You're probably better off sending those calls to voicemail.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Google Assistant is really handy, but I don't like that I have to unlock the phone to do any voice-based "OK Google" stuff. I really appreciate that they focused on security over usability and features, but it kinda defeats the whole purpose if I have to say "OK Google" and then pick up my phone and unlock it with my hand just to get it to do anything. I thought the whole point was supposed to be using voice at times when you either don't have your phone in your hand, or when you can't use it (say, like while driving for example)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Google Assistant is really handy, but I don't like that I have to unlock the phone to do any voice-based "OK Google" stuff. I really appreciate that they focused on security over usability and features, but it kinda defeats the whole purpose if I have to say "OK Google" and then pick up my phone and unlock it with my hand just to get it to do anything. I thought the whole point was supposed to be using voice at times when you either don't have your phone in your hand, or when you can't use it (say, like while driving for example)
You can have it unlock whenever it matches you against your saved voice model but obviously you accept something of a security hit it you turn that on.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea you just need to enable trusted voice in the settings

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
As was inevitable since the day I got my Pixel 2 back in October, I lost my USB-C to 3.5mm adapter while out and about. Living without headphones for the past 24 hours has been hell (I forgot how loud the subway was), and I'm looking to fix that ASAP.

I know Google sells a replacement adapter for $9, which isn't bad, but the shipping is an extra $8 (ugh) and will take a whole week (double ugh). Are any of the available-on-Amazon USB-C adapters trustworthy? Seeing a lot of bad reviews, which is troubling.

I thought about just getting Bluetooth ear buds, but I exclusively use ear buds that I shove in my pocket in the expectation they'll die within a few months of wear and tearing on the cable, and I'm worried about investing in anything expensive. The sub-$50 market on Amazon seems to be a literal crapshoot, with all of Wirecutter's reviews being like "this one sounded fine but it has only 3 stars on Amazon because half of customers get them broken, good luck!" It seems like the Beats X are, ironically, one of the best options in the space, but at $90 I'm a little wary, and of course they seem to have a bunch of iPhone-exclusive features. Can anyone vouch for cheap ear buds that worked well with their phone? Or something pricier with a good warranty?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Do they have to be earbuds or can they be in ear

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Blue Train posted:

Do they have to be earbuds or can they be in ear

oh, sorry; a bunch of places use the terms interchangeably - I meant in-ear, which is why I'm not considering Airpods (in addition to all the iPhone-specific stuff :v:)

for reference, I've been using the cheap Panasonic ones that used to be recommended by Wirecutter for like 4 years now (having gone through... 6 or 7 pairs?), so just looking for that level of quality https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4LGVUO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Blue Train posted:

Funny enough if you have a Samsung device, trusted voice does not work. And it never has. But it still exists as an option!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Blue Train posted:

I was fine until 8.0 and now trusted voice never works. :sigh: But yeah this is what you want if you can get it to work.

Edit: I got it working just now by turning off Google as a trusted agent, rebooting, enabling Google as a trusted agent again, deleting the voice model, then training it again.

effika fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 24, 2018

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

oh, sorry; a bunch of places use the terms interchangeably - I meant in-ear, which is why I'm not considering Airpods (in addition to all the iPhone-specific stuff :v:)

for reference, I've been using the cheap Panasonic ones that used to be recommended by Wirecutter for like 4 years now (having gone through... 6 or 7 pairs?), so just looking for that level of quality https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4LGVUO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have had these ones for a while and they are work well, they came with three or four size tips for different fits

E: I've had them since April 2015 so they've held up

https://www.amazon.com/SoundPEATS-Bluetooth-Headphones-Earphones-Sweatproof/dp/B00LP6CFEC

These ones are supposed to be good as well but I don't have them so can't comment personally

https://www.amazon.com/SoundPEATS-B...peats+qy8&psc=1

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 24, 2018

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Blue Train posted:

Cool! Didn't know this setting existed. This is why I love this thread.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
the tips about swiping on the space bar to move the cursor and swiping off the backspace button to delete multiple words have changed my life

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

strap on revenge posted:

the tips about swiping on the space bar to move the cursor and swiping off the backspace button to delete multiple words have changed my life

??? Swiping on the spacebar to the right predicts the next word in an i'm feeling lucky way, and to the left brings up huge animated emojis for me?

e: ohhhh. click then swipe ok. Okay. now it's working.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Google really fumbled in their own 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Owned, buy a Pixel 2