Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Legendary thread

https://twitter.com/bdayboysmitch/status/963196658216443904

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I want an hour and a half of Zouks just berating both of them.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

https://twitter.com/BDayBoysMitch/status/963274290509549568

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

What did UCB do to deserve Nick's sick simpsons burn?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think he likes/RTs stuff sometimes about how improvisers need be paid and that UCB/Second City etc is taking advantage of them

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yeah, there's a slowburning argument about if the theatres should pay people for both performing and teaching. The counterargument is that the theatre wouldn't be able to do as much, and no one would get the opportunity. I think an article came out recently that got everyone talking about it again.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea UCB has been having a slowly intensifying issue where they basically do the 'you get paid...in EXPERIENCE' thing and due to how cliquey and insular comedy communities are they're one of the major players, so it's kinda a bad look for one of the top dogs to be all 'no no if we paid people we couldn't stay alive and then where would people go?'

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

Yeah, there's a slowburning argument about if the theatres should pay people for both performing and teaching. The counterargument is that the theatre wouldn't be able to do as much, and no one would get the opportunity. I think an article came out recently that got everyone talking about it again.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVxdNv1UQAAAU-J.jpg:large

Far as I can tell this is what set it off. It boils down to one side thinking that just because something sucked a lot back then it has to be like that always.

The idea that suffering is the only way to become a good artist is dumb as poo poo and I hate it!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

So from context is sounds like the meeting they were talking about is a resurrection of the Doughboys food travel show that was in development at Netflix. I think the only reason it got canned was that it was the project of an ousted producer, so I guess they got another shot.

Netflix makes sense as to why Jack Black was there too, he’s had a few projects there.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Dacap posted:

So from context is sounds like the meeting they were talking about is a resurrection of the Doughboys food travel show that was in development at Netflix. I think the only reason it got canned was that it was the project of an ousted producer, so I guess they got another shot.

Netflix makes sense as to why Jack Black was there too, he’s had a few projects there.

It doesn't seem like it could be anything else given what they've said before. Hope they get it, I'd love to watch Nick be awkward on TV.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I’m sure Mitch already being on a Netflix original show is helpful as well

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
Would be cool if they finally got to do the show, despite Wiger's constant attempts at sabotage.

Anyway good ep and a lot of solid weird Wiger moments.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Which would be better, Doughboys TV being:

a) A show where they find out-of-the-way yet unpretentious places to eat ("It's just Diners Drive-Ins & Dives but with us, the Doughboys!")
b) A show where they basically do the podcast but outside the confines of LA ("We're travelling across the country to sample Amerca's favorite regional and hyper-local chains!")
c) A show where they make a big deal about travelling and then only eat at massive chains that exist everywhere ("What better place than the 'Big Apple' to check out Applebee's!")

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
B and C are probably not gonna happen considering no chain restaurant is going to approve them filming there unless they're giving five forks across the board. Meanwhile I'm not sure I can handle seeing three episodes worth of the massive food hauls they usually get (the series is cut tragically short after Mitch strangles Wiger over an argument about whether Yoda fucks)

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
I saw a Reddit post theorizing that Mitch and nick were frustrated with the podcast so much because it was successful but not what they wanted to be successful at - Mitch wants to be an actor and nick wants to work at a Costco. Laughed pretty hard at that folks.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

We all know if Mitch and Wiger get a show it will be about Starwars.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JethroMcB posted:

a) A show where they find out-of-the-way yet unpretentious places to eat ("It's just Diners Drive-Ins & Dives but with us, the Doughboys!")
b) A show where they basically do the podcast but outside the confines of LA ("We're travelling across the country to sample Amerca's favorite regional and hyper-local chains!")
c) A show where they make a big deal about travelling and then only eat at massive chains that exist everywhere ("What better place than the 'Big Apple' to check out Applebee's!")

it SHOULD be C in a just and moral world but it'll never get approval

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

The other option would be an international travel show where we just watch them be uncomfortable in foreign countries like “An Idiot Abroad”

Dacap fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 15, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Garth_Marenghi posted:

We all know if Mitch and Wiger get a show it will be about Starwars.

Doughboys: A Star Wars Story

Do it Disney.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
I don’t really care about UCB not paying because you’ve got 200 people in there who paid 5 bucks to see 3 teams with 8 people on them... you could give performers 50% of the door and you’d be making like 20 bucks. The larger problem is nobody ever leaves UCB and they’re charging hundreds of students 1600 bucks every season for essentially zero stage spots.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Good god how is Jason Mantzoukas still alive? I knew all the jokes about his allergy but didn't know it was that serious. Imagine having to avoid anything egg-based or even egg-adjacent for the past 40+ years. Eggs, eggs everywhere!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

wiger should write a heathcliffe book

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Laterite posted:

Good god how is Jason Mantzoukas still alive? I knew all the jokes about his allergy but didn't know it was that serious. Imagine having to avoid anything egg-based or even egg-adjacent for the past 40+ years. Eggs, eggs everywhere!

He goes even more in depth about it on You Made It Weird back in 2013/2014. It’s the reason he doesn’t drink or do any drugs: because he can’t trust his inebriated self to not drunkenly order something that has eggs in t.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/doughboysmeme/status/964237371918209025

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

JethroMcB posted:

If I remember from that little clip they played before, I bet it'd be more like Jonah Ray's show, where it's fictional and going places to eat is just a setting for the comedy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ManoliIsFat posted:

If I remember from that little clip they played before, I bet it'd be more like Jonah Ray's show, where it's fictional and going places to eat is just a setting for the comedy.

Jonah's show was good so that'd be cool

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Doughlympics on the double today.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

The boys are on today's episode of Off Book and sing their little hearts out and make very good jokes. it fuckin rules

http://earwolf.com/episode/picket-line-pals-w-the-doughboys-mike-mitchell-nick-wiger/

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.

Reformed Pissboy posted:

The boys are on today's episode of Off Book and sing their little hearts out and make very good jokes. it fuckin rules

http://earwolf.com/episode/picket-line-pals-w-the-doughboys-mike-mitchell-nick-wiger/

This is rad, they did really well

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Less than two minutes after Jessica set the scene as a CVS, Mitch hosed it up and called it Ralph's. Good job, Mitchy Two Spoons.

Pedantic nitpicking aside, this was pretty enjoyable. I love Nick's angry singing voice.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Advertising execs need to look at Doughboys because after always missing it when I’m in the Bay, I now definitely wanna drive to Burbank to finally try Ike’s.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Advertising execs need to look at Doughboys because after always missing it when I’m in the Bay, I now definitely wanna drive to Burbank to finally try Ike’s.

I had my first Ike's meal a few days ago and it was delicious. I recommend the Love Triangle. It's vegetarian and tasty.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
the live pod that has this got posted https://twitter.com/CobraTalon/status/954894257696923648

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

They can look all they want but the Doughboys cannot be bought.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mr. Squishy posted:

The Doughboys can be bought.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The Ike's founder guy mentioning he worked really hard for EIGHT WHOLE MONTHS made me chuckle in how out of touch it sounded. That whole segment was a big record scratch - which isn't the worst thing in the world.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

n8r posted:

The Ike's founder guy mentioning he worked really hard for EIGHT WHOLE MONTHS made me chuckle in how out of touch it sounded. That whole segment was a big record scratch - which isn't the worst thing in the world.

Is eight months with presumably very little to no pay working on a passion project that could totally fail not a long time to you?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It was all very cliche small business rags to riches stuff but I thought overall he was fine to bring out.

I love Spencer Crittenden but I feel like the crowd was pretty muted overall and didn't really get into it as other shows have. Nick and Wiger seemed just a bit off compared too their other live episodes probably because they hadn't recorded in a few months. They also fight a bunch on stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Unmature posted:

Is eight months with presumably very little to no pay working on a passion project that could totally fail not a long time to you?

That's called work for most Americans minus passion and minus the payoff where you get to be the boss after less than a year of that and plus making another guy rich off your work, yes. Dude seemed alright but yea that's typical small business man "I paid my dues so I know what work is" bullshit.