Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The dichotomy of the Swedes all looking like runway models while the Americans all look like truckers is endlessly amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
An embarrassment of choices

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
How long is too long talking like this?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I feel like "we'll only be sitting 3" is a greedy statement but Christ if I know poo poo about Curling

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Teddybear posted:

I don't think I'll ever exactly understand how the curling works, even after reading explanations, but it's cool as hell and also I wanna see the made for TV movie about the first folks to think all this stuff up.

It’s all in the pebbling

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

pigz posted:

How long is too long talking like this?

The clock they show sometimes is their time for the whole game to talk. If they run out of that they just have to throw with no discussion. There is one time out, which allows the coach to come down.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
YIKES

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
oh man

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Ah, the old "slam that motherfucker" play

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
How different a game is it if the two teams speak the same language and can understand each other? Does it matter at this level?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

misdirectomy posted:

How different a game is it if the two teams speak the same language and can understand each other? Does it matter at this level?

I feel like at least 75% of the time I follow the strategy regardless the language just by pointing sticks. Like there's some times I can't see what they're doing but I imagine pros would.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

misdirectomy posted:

The pbp folks addressed this at the beginning, the answer is not really. Your strategy depends on how the rocks lie when you throw and it won't really matter if you know what the other team might do

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Oof that was bad

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Aw

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
The Shuster Special

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

gently caress

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Bluhhh that would've been cool as hell to score like four.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Dammit

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Oof, not good Shuster

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That end was looking like a hell of a steal and then....

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
It was about 20 good throws in a row for the US and then a real bad one

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Bad miss but, 4-3 going into the 6th? That's a hell of a lot better than I would have predicted.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

that guard didn't quite get there...

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hmm I would have thought about doing that on the other side, to avoid the possible double

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Like that

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm stunned every time Sweden's skip misses a takeout, I just assume he's going to hit every one of those.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Rick posted:

The clock they show sometimes is their time for the whole game to talk. If they run out of that they just have to throw with no discussion. There is one time out, which allows the coach to come down.

Unless Olympic rules are different, it actually means you can't throw any more rocks. Theoretically you could still win the game if your opponent missed some shots.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Commentators are saying that Edin's two rocks curl differently which he should have figured out by now.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Is that the King of Sweden in the stands?

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
alright boys, don't Shuster this

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Okay Shuster send it clean through for 1. Maybe take your own out.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

woo 2!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

I'm stunned every time Sweden's skip misses a takeout, I just assume he's going to hit every one of those.

Just a little ice wear really affects rocks thrown with a lot of weight which is why runbacks are usually the least desirable option

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Boosh. This is a tight match.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Sweden didn't look as unbeatable that time.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

gret posted:

Is that the King of Sweden in the stands?

He was there earlier in the week so probably

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Two points nice

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
It appears our large adult sons are NOT intimidated by the overall handsomeness of the Swedes

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The US is making Sweden make every shot so far, I am really glad to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Comcast is now updating my cable box for the second time during this.

• Locked thread