Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Carbs on carbs with a side of carbs and alcohol.

Want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Toe Rag posted:

I made pasta for the first time. It was fairly easy, but I quickly learned you definitely need a pasta rack.

Looks good, and you should try finishing the pasta in the sauce and some reserved cooking liquid. You'll be amazed at the difference.

I do noodles all the time, and I only use a rack if I'm drying it. Otherwise I just wrap it into a single serving size ball and leave it sit covered on the counter under a tea towel having been dusted with flour.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Last evening I made some noodles quick to go with some meat sauce I already had. I dusted with rice flour for the first time and it worked really nicely. No sticking and it seemed like it just washed off when it hit the water. I just made loose single serving piles of noodles and it turned out fine. In my past attempts, that would have been a mess of stuck together noodles.

I never noticed before, but it was really fast to make fresh noodles, something that people tend to assume is arduous -- went from eggs/flour/sauce in fridge to eating in < 30 minutes.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 21, 2018

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

emotive posted:

I enjoyed it very much. I spiced it with cumin seed, coriander and turmeric so it had a lot of falafel vibe to it. The recipe (here: https://www.bonappetit.com/story/cromlet-chickpea-omelet) describes it as kind of a cross between a crepe and an omelet, which describes it perfectly.
Thanks for the recipe!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

emotive posted:

I enjoyed it very much. I spiced it with cumin seed, coriander and turmeric so it had a lot of falafel vibe to it. The recipe (here: https://www.bonappetit.com/story/cromlet-chickpea-omelet) describes it as kind of a cross between a crepe and an omelet, which describes it perfectly.

-----

Tonight:

Tostada with refried pinto beans, jackfruit and salsa verde. Trendy avocado flower (for internet points) with malden salt and lime.

Looks great. Where'd you get those plates?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Human Tornada posted:

Looks great. Where'd you get those plates?

They look like ones I've seen at either world market or target

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

They look like ones I've seen at either world market or target

Yep -- part of the Hearth and Hand line at Target (https://www.target.com/p/stoneware-dinner-plate-hearth-hand-153-with-magnolia/-/A-52991283)

Here's the other color I bought and tonight's dinner.

Had some leftover tare from ramen night so I used it to make crispy teriyaki tofu (scallions and roasted broccoli stems), and broccoli with peanuts tossed in burnt garlic sesame oil. The bitterness from the burnt garlic oil really played well with the sweet/salty flavors of the teriyaki.

emotive fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 22, 2018

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Wow, I'm really annoyed. I was looking for something exactly like that to replace my dishes and bought something similar but not quite perfect.

I really don't want to replace my less than a year old and perfectly good dishes but I have the feeling that I'm going to cave.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
That is some fine looking pasta.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Today I had last nights dinner again, some quiche with ham and feta cheese:

Then I made some sandwiches because I didn't feel that was enough on it's own. It's a local dark, sweet bread that I fried in some butter and slathered some of this smoked salmon... stuff on. I would have preferred gravlax here since I don't like the taste of smoked salmon that much, but the bell pepper and cucumber did something so the flavours blended wonderfully, I had three of them and picky kid #2 wanted two.

Later we'll have some of these for dessert, this recipe but I halved the sugar because it seemed like a poo poo load. These ones are a bit on the sweet side even as they are. I added the cocoa flakes myself to make it less sticky on your fingers.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
-22C outside today so it felt like a good day to make "tomtegröt", or rice pudding I guess is the english word. With sugar, cinnamon and a dab of butter in the middle (we call that the "smöröga", or butter eye). Some people prefer jam instead but I definitely prefer this.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

emotive posted:

Yep -- part of the Hearth and Hand line at Target (https://www.target.com/p/stoneware-dinner-plate-hearth-hand-153-with-magnolia/-/A-52991283)

Here's the other color I bought and tonight's dinner.

Had some leftover tare from ramen night so I used it to make crispy teriyaki tofu (scallions and roasted broccoli stems), and broccoli with peanuts tossed in burnt garlic sesame oil. The bitterness from the burnt garlic oil really played well with the sweet/salty flavors of the teriyaki.

This looks SO good!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

-22C outside today so it felt like a good day to make "tomtegröt", or rice pudding I guess is the english word. With sugar, cinnamon and a dab of butter in the middle (we call that the "smöröga", or butter eye). Some people prefer jam instead but I definitely prefer this.

Looks great, what’s the country of origin? Or is it common to all Scandinavian countries with variations?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

His Divine Shadow posted:

That looks awesome!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Thanks!

VelociBacon posted:

Looks great, what’s the country of origin? Or is it common to all Scandinavian countries with variations?

I don't know really, probably Sweden I bet, but it's common in Finland too, and I guess Norway.

That was lunch, made smash burgers for dinner with some cheese sauce instead of plain cheese, only had toast for bread though,.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It really reminded me of Japanese raw egg stirred into rice.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

It's delicious. Make sure to top it with a knob of cultured, salty butter. Sooooo good. Like warm, less sweetened rice pudding.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
gently caress yeah tomtegröt!

I made carbonara and it was goddamn delicious.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Man, 'gnome's porridge' would have been good for the culturally insensitive cooking thread.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Saturday was my wife's birthday and it was the fourth record-setting high temperature in a row at about 80 degrees for February, so why not uncover the grill and make kebabs?

Not pictured: shrimp and sausage, and saffron rice.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I cook a lot of Indian food. This is one of my go-to recipes because it's delicious and looks great but is easy to make.

Balti tamarind chicken with grape tomatoes.

It's one of those recipes with a million ingredients but where the actual process just boils down to "combine all of those ingredients into a sauce, cook the meat in the sauce, you're done".

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Entropic posted:

I cook a lot of Indian food. This is one of my go-to recipes because it's delicious and looks great but is easy to make.

Balti tamarind chicken with grape tomatoes.

It's one of those recipes with a million ingredients but where the actual process just boils down to "combine all of those ingredients into a sauce, cook the meat in the sauce, you're done".

drat that’s colorful and amazing looking. Mind sharing the recipe?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Arrgytehpirate posted:

drat that’s colorful and amazing looking. Mind sharing the recipe?

Here's the million (ok, dozen) ingredients you combine for the sauce:

3-4 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp tamarind paste
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cayenne chilli powder (increase the amount if you want it spicier)
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp garlic-ginger paste (throw equal parts fresh, peeled garlic and ginger in a food processor / blender with just enough water to make it blend)
2 tbsp dried grated coconut
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tsp poppy seeds
1/4 cup of water

Mix all that together, and put some chicken in it.You can use large bone-in chicken pieces or sliced chicken breast or thigh, it doesn't really matter. Mix it all up so the chicken is thoroughly coated in the sauce.

Heat a bit of oil in a wok. IDK, like 4 or 5 tbsp? Enough that it's like an actual puddle of oil and not just coating the surface.

When the oil is hot, add:
a few curry or bay leaves (I'm still unconvinced bay leaves actually add a detectable taste to anything. No one's gonna notice if you leave them out)
1/2 tsp onion seeds
a couple dried red chillies
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds

Fry for about a minute, then add the chicken and sauce. Keep the heat on high at first, stirring it constantly. Once all the pieces of chicken are a bit browned you can turn the heat down.

Let it cook on low-med heat for about 15 mins until the chicken is cooked through.
Cooking time may vary depending on whether you're using small pieces of meat or whole legs / drumsticks / whatever.
I usually just use sliced chicken breast because I'm boring and don't actually like gnawing on bones, which makes it quick.

Throw in a couple handfuls of grape or cherry tomatoes, and cook for another few minutes.

Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with basmati rice.

This is like the one Indian dish I know that doesn't start with frying onions.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Roasted red pepper, broccoli rabe and smoked provolone sandwich / quick tomato soup
In hindsight I would have split the baguette completely and made it an actual sandwich instead of grinder style.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

emotive posted:

Roasted red pepper, broccoli rabe and smoked provolone sandwich / quick tomato soup
In hindsight I would have split the baguette completely and made it an actual sandwich instead of grinder style.

This looks fantastic. How did you do the broccoli rabe?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

angor posted:

This looks fantastic. How did you do the broccoli rabe?

Blanched it for a minute or so to soften it up a little then just cooked it down with garlic, chili flakes and EVOO and mixed in the peppers at the end.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Picture's a little blurry, but there was pizza on the table last night.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I made Asian fusion fish tacos with a cooked pico de Gallo with ginger and black bean garlic sauce with white fish and shaoxing wine. A+

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 5, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
No you didn't.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Homemade wheat pasta w/ marinara
Panko breaded eggplant with some smoked provolone I had leftover

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
It's pretzel time!

Simple after dinner snack. 10 Minutes in the stand mixer, 1 hour to rise, 12 minutes to bake.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I made fish tacos again and since I never have pictures I decided to take some

Last time I made them with white onion and I think that is the superior version. They stay crisp and flavorful while the green onions wilt really fast.

They look a little bit liquidy because I forgot I took the little plastic dribbler out of the mouth of the bottle and splashed too much in.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 7, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just a photo tip - try a wider aperture with either indirect light from a window etc or bounced flash if you have a speedlight so your photos don't look like you didn't pay your power bill. Food looks like it'd be good tho!

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

I made fish tacos again and since I never have pictures I decided to take some

Last time I made them with white onion and I think that is the superior version. They stay crisp and flavorful while the green onions wilt really fast.

They look a little bit liquidy because I forgot I took the little plastic dribbler out of the mouth of the bottle and splashed too much in.

If I had not read this more carefully I would have carried on believing you ate braised chicken over polenta for the rest of my life.

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011
Pasta with Brussels sprouts and cheddar. It was good.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Next time you make tacos, try toasting your tortillas. Heat up a dry nonstick pan to medium heat and toast them one or two at a time til black spots just start to form. Much better texture and flavor.

Loco
Dec 6, 2006

Why is.. Those things?

poop dood posted:

Next time you make tacos, try toasting your tortillas. Heat up a dry nonstick pan to medium heat and toast them one or two at a time til black spots just start to form. Much better texture and flavor.

Now You're Cooking With Gas Eating Teflon!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Use iron or stone or fire.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Use iron or stone or fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

poop dood posted:

When I saw those tacos I knew something looked wrong and this is it. Just tossing them in a pan will do wonders for your tortillas.