Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

and then suddenly a sleeptoad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Digirat posted:

and then suddenly a sleeptoad

Everybody taking a nap is the best. I had a nice nap with Legi, Pukei, and Bazel the other day. It was very relaxing.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Edit: I seem to have overwritten my earlier post, so ignore this.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 24, 2018

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This game sucks as a monster hunter game because it doesnt give you carpal tunnel trying to control the camera and it only has 4 rathians instead of 6

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's so embarrassing when that happens

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the musical sting at the beginning of bazel's theme is so good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRV48bV6T-Y&t=11s
(11 sec)

him showing up all the time would be annoying but instead I can't help but grin when I hear that DUN DUN DUN DUN and the carpet bombing starts :allears:

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

v1ld posted:

How do you play a tank HBG? I want to add a ranged weapon having started with longsword and then switched to CB. The HBG seems interesting, are there any good guides to using it or comparisons with the LBG and Bow?

The -30% affinity is 7.5% less damage overall and for my charge blade at HR 11, the Diablos weapon is significantly more powerful (>20% higher dmg) than the competition. I'd have to have 50% positive affinity to offset that on a different weapon which would mean using up a bunch of skills I would prefer to use currently.

Unless you're using other affinity based skills, I wouldn't worry about negative affinity if the actual damage is good.

Tank HBG basically is built around taking Guard +3/4/5 and putting one or more shield mods on a HBG that has good spread shot stats (probably could do it with normal shot as well but not nearly as potent). Best two guns for it are probably the Nergigante tree and the Anjanath tree. You just want 3-5 levels of Guard and all the offensive skills you can cram in there, with priority on Weakness Exploit (ranged weapons can benefit from WE 90% of the time or more). It's pretty simple and there's tons of loadouts you can run with it. Playing it is even easier, you automatically block provided you aren't actively shooting or reloading, so just block attacks and put Spread 3 and Wyvernheart into domes. I personally do it with just Guard+3 and a level 1 shield but increasing either of those will make it even easier to use, although it might increase your hunt times slightly. You take Close Range Up in the other slots for the HBG of course.

One neat synergy with the Diablos CB is that the phial explosions can't crit and are purely based on your raw attack power. So the Diablos CB has the strongest phial explosions by far and that part of the weapon is totally unaffected by the negative affinity. It pigeonholes you into a SAED-dump playstyle if you want to be "optimal" (not like you really need to though) but it's super strong.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I've got six brace jewels now because apparently those and the occasional poison coat are the the only Lv.3 decorations that ever drop.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Republicans posted:

I've got six brace jewels now because apparently those and the occasional poison coat are the the only Lv.3 decorations that ever drop.

It's all based on rarity, those are just the low rarity lvl3 gems. They do some neat things with the gem system, like give you a lot of broadly useful gems such as resists, defense, health, etc early on. Those are all actually really strong, although obviously not as glamorous as MAX DPS gems. I do wish you had some agency with the grind though, having zero control can be disheartening (something similar to the weekly gold ticket but on an even longer timeframe for instance). It doesn't bother me much since I'm happy just plodding along but it definitely turns some folks off.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

v1ld posted:

How do you play a tank HBG? I want to add a ranged weapon having started with longsword and then switched to CB. The HBG seems interesting, are there any good guides to using it or comparisons with the LBG and Bow?

Oh, tank HBG is when you stack on Guard skill, put on a Shield and two levels of Close Range Up on a gun with access to Spread 3, or a really big Spread 2 magazine. So long as you're facing the monster with your shielded HBG out and not shooting or reloading, you can basically tank any non-unblockable hit. And if you have three pieces of the Uragaan set, you can tank the "unblockable" attacks too. All you have to know is when not to shoot and you're basically an unkillable shotgunning juggernaut. And also map the craft recipe for your chosen level of shotgun shell in your radial menu, since you can craft things with your weapon out.

Note that this involves getting right up in a monster's face so it can hardly be called a "ranged" fighting style. It's closer to Lance or Gunlance though with less mobility than Lance and a little more fine control over where you land your hits. It's pretty reliable for getting Nerg horns and Vaal fangs if you're having trouble with that.

Notable HBGs for this particular build are:
-The t8 Nergigante gun, the Destruction's Fusillade, which has tons of raw, a respectable Spread 3 magazine, and not a lot of Deviation (recoil).
-The t7 Anjanath gun, the Gnashing Flammenkannone, which has even more raw damage and an even bigger Spread 3 magazine, but suffers from -20% Affinity and high Deviation, which you would need to compensate for in your build.
-The t7 Great Jagras gun, the Gluttonous Fangcannon (whoops), which only goes as far as Spread 2 but has a very large magazine like the Anja gun, yet also has lower than average Recoil (rate of fire) and lower Deviation (actual recoil) than the Anjie for more sustained dps. There's at least one Nergigante speedrun video that uses this gun for those very reasons.

Runa fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 26, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I knocked xeno down from flying when he wasn't over playable area and he fell way down below completely out of bounds, then flew back up through the floor

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
After learning Bow and Hunting Horn I'm itching to learn another weapon and thinking about Gunlance. Anyone currently using it that can sell me on it? Also what's a good armour build for it?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Night Blade posted:

Does anyone even use the matchmaking? From what I can tell people just troll SoS and that poo poo is awful.

I troll sos by being bad and genuinely wanting to participate.

JBP fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 24, 2018

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The trick is to get your melodies activated (preferably by beating them over the head) then just focus on beating up the monster's head with simple O+O+O or △+△+△ combos. I see a lot of guys panic or waste a lot of time on positioning and trying to get their performances in just the right place at the right time. Don't overthink it. Get the melodies out first even if you can't hit the monster with them, then when your list of melodies is all activated just treat it as a normal weapon until it's time to rebuff. When you're more comfortable and familiar with both the weapon and the monster's behaviour, then you could try doing performances at will for the damage.

Get the sonorous skill if you can (it extends melody duration), you can filter for it on the forge armor page, and there is also a decoration and a charm for it.

Aha thanks, that makes a lot more sense actually. I was thinking I had to keep queuing up and activating my songs to make sure they never ran out, but it sounds like I was wrong there. That'll simplify things a lot for me now while I'm learning to be better with the Hunting Horn.

I do have a gearing question if you or anyone could advise me. I'm trying to figure out a decent gear set of skills for myself based on what I have/could easily get right now. So I was thinking this equipment:

Charm: Earplugs Charm III (Earplugs 3)
Helm: Girros Mask B (Horn Maestro)
Belt: Bazel Coil B (Earplugs 2)
Boots: Kushala Crus B (Evade Extender 2)

This gives me Earplugs 5, Horn Maestro, and Evade Extender 2 which are skills I'm happy with. However I didn't mention a chest or gloves there because I'm not too sure what else would be good for a Hunting Horn. I could always replace the boots if there's something more useful than Evade Extender in that slot, those are just my go to boots if I'm unsure of what to equip. I like Speed Sharpening but I usually put in decorations for that, so maybe Handicraft would be useful from a gear piece?

Although I think I prefer the idea of utility/defence skills for my Hunting Horn equipment if that helps at all.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

AttackBacon posted:

One neat synergy with the Diablos CB is that the phial explosions can't crit and are purely based on your raw attack power. So the Diablos CB has the strongest phial explosions by far and that part of the weapon is totally unaffected by the negative affinity. It pigeonholes you into a SAED-dump playstyle if you want to be "optimal" (not like you really need to though) but it's super strong.

I know phials can't crit but had overlooked their damage being based on raw. That's really useful to know since I use phials a lot - not just in SAED dumps, the O > O > T axe loop seems better when the monster is immobilized though I haven't seen numbers comparing the loop to an SAED dump for phial use efficiency. Regardless, bolstering phial damage is great.

I think I'm going to pass on Dragon weapons and rely on raw damage CBs possibly with poison instead (not least because a Zorah gem is gated behind the only unfun mission in the game so far).

Thanks for the HBG info.

Xarbala posted:

Note that this involves getting right up in a monster's face so it can hardly be called a "ranged" fighting style. It's closer to Lance or Gunlance though with less mobility than Lance and a little more fine control over where you land your hits.

Thanks for the write up, this bit is particularly interesting. One reason I want to play ranged is to better learn monster patterns from a distance - I miss a lot up close and personal.

Any suggestions on a good medium to long distance weapon or build? I prefer weapons with bursty, intermittent damage where I'm positioning or waiting on an opening, or having to build up to the burst like with the CB.

Your Computer posted:

have any of you ever had a legiana corpse drop on your head in the middle of a fight?

Just realized how well this Legiana's choice of death location fits with the Rotten Vale's reason for existence and Odogaron's description as a carrion eater. The lore and world building in this game is subtle and well done with some deep consistency even if it's not in your face all the time.

Coral Highlands gives off strong Nausicaa vibes visually and seeing that flying caterpillar in the higher reaches really nailed that feeling. But then you discover its reliance on the Rotten Vale and that's strongly reminiscent of the crystallised old world slowly coming back to life in Nausicaa. Maybe I'm reaching, but the feel is strong in the Highlands.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 24, 2018

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

RoboJoe posted:

Aha thanks, that makes a lot more sense actually. I was thinking I had to keep queuing up and activating my songs to make sure they never ran out, but it sounds like I was wrong there. That'll simplify things a lot for me now while I'm learning to be better with the Hunting Horn.

I do have a gearing question if you or anyone could advise me. I'm trying to figure out a decent gear set of skills for myself based on what I have/could easily get right now. So I was thinking this equipment:

This gives me Earplugs 5, Horn Maestro, and Evade Extender 2 which are skills I'm happy with. However I didn't mention a chest or gloves there because I'm not too sure what else would be good for a Hunting Horn. I could always replace the boots if there's something more useful than Evade Extender in that slot, those are just my go to boots if I'm unsure of what to equip. I like Speed Sharpening but I usually put in decorations for that, so maybe Handicraft would be useful from a gear piece?

Although I think I prefer the idea of utility/defence skills for my Hunting Horn equipment if that helps at all.

If you're stumped and unsure of what to use, you can't go wrong with vitality, defense, divine protection decorations. Boring but makes your life much easier. HH is slow and cumbersome and you're bound to get knocked around a bit. I always roll with 3xvitality no matter what build I use - an extra 50 health out of the gate is enormous, and it stacks with canteen food as well, for a total of 200 health.

You could do KO decoration (makes monsters easier to stun) which goes well with horns. Brace (flinch-free) and footing (tremors don't make you flinch) will help you toot uninterrupted if you find your flow interrupted often.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Hypha posted:

...I just barely have 150 hours...
...it does feel strange to reach the endgame this soon for myself.

Buy a lottery ticket if this is true.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I wanna try SnS what is the best status to get on it? Should I just make a Poison one and a Para one?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
People say tempered is lazy because they don't have more health or new moves, but that is literally what G-Rank is. And they are not abandoning that cash cow. It would be nice if they had SOME extra gimmick attached to them though. But careful what you wish for, because that is how we got apex monsters *shudders*

I rather enjoy the endgame, for now. I'm liking trying all the weapons as I get decorations and build new armor sets with them.

My main complaint is the multiplayer. I miss seeing other hunters. I was pumped for 16 player room but they're useless if no one uses the gathering hall. Its annoying going up there as there is no option for the farm or a smithy and the loading time sucks transferring between there and Astera. Ithink having Astera itself be the gathering hall might fix some issues with that. Would be nice.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Holy crap, it isn't a joke that the last boss is just a giant, eventually boring HP sink. First monster I've fought where I was literally wondering when the hell it would just die. Crazy rear end design though. Dropped all the rocks on it, and was still plugging away for about twenty minutes, and that was with a helpful person also whacking away with a longsword. :psyduck:

A thought hit me too. If they're doing crossover events, how about the Devil May Cry franchise? :getin: Hunting a demonic, flaming lava spider would totally be my poo poo.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Been doing a lot of arena quests, quite surprised at how hard it is. The monsters in there are way more aggressive than anything else in the game. Was doing the double Diablos quest with a Japanese player and we both must have carted like 3 times each. It's not just the increased health, arena monsters seem a LOT more hostile and aggressive.

If I was a betting man, I'd say that it's an indication of how eventual G-rank monsters may be like.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

People say tempered is lazy because they don't have more health or new moves, but that is literally what G-Rank is. And they are not abandoning that cash cow. It would be nice if they had SOME extra gimmick attached to them though. But careful what you wish for, because that is how we got apex monsters *shudders*

That's not true though, G-rank monsters typically have one new move.

Still never been a fan of G-rank though, amping up the damage and health isn't a fun way to increase difficulty. Fights taking even longer and if you screw up once you're dead is certainly harder but it's just not fun to me.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Your Computer posted:

Still never been a fan of G-rank though, amping up the damage and health isn't a fun way to increase difficulty. Fights taking even longer and if you screw up once you're dead is certainly harder but it's just not fun to me.

No one knows how it'll work out, but presumably we'll get more areas, more mons, and more gear. Then you need to augment all your new gear, update the rest of your sets, etc. Unless they decide to go back to crap like GQs or Deviants for extra extra hard mode (and even rarer drops) then it'll follow the same curve as the current game.

The only thing I can't really work out is how they're going to implement G armor. Bows are harsh, but for the most part (with decos) you can get everything you really want plus attack4 or something on a set. Maybe they bring back OP combo skills so you can have max Attack+Agitator+Maximum Might or something silly like that.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

RoboJoe posted:

The build I have been using for Hunting Horn has been:

Bazel Helm Beta (Earplug Jewel 3, Sonorous Jewel 1)
Kirin Jacket Beta (Resistor Jewel 1)
Xeno'jiiva Claws Beta (Brace Jewel 3)
Xeno'jiiva Spine Beta (Spare Jewel Slot, Friendship Jewel 1)
Xeno'jiiva Spurs Beta (Spare Jewel Slot, Protection Jewel 1)
Earplugs Charm 2.

This gives you:

Xeno'jiiva Divinity gear bonus which halves sharpness loss
Earplugs Level 5
Blight Resistance Level 3
Divine Blessing Level 3
Flinch Free Level 3
Horn Maestro Level 1

Plus a few spare jewel slots that you can use to whatever skills suit your play style.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Your Computer posted:

That's not true though, G-rank monsters typically have one new move.

Well, if they made it more interesting ( more traps and all ) it might be better. Dropping poo poo on monsters is always fun.

Wiped out Xeno on the third try. :toot: Noticed something fun too for bow / pierce ammo users.

Xeno is so goddamn big, if you fire along his length while he's charging at someone else, you get a shitton of extra hits. He literally keeps running into / along your shots and takes a hilarious amount of extra damage. I caught him while he was doing the out-of-stamina bellyflop and just the amount of numbers that spewed up. :stare:

I guess same would happen for dual blades too, depending how it tracks?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Bow vs Nerg and Xeno are literally easy mode. Bow in general is stupidly strong.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If I'm using a bow but need some tails is there a good strategy for getting them to break off? I'm ok at breaking other parts but have trouble with tails. SnS is my main backup so right now I just swap to it which also works :v:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

limited posted:

Well, if they made it more interesting ( more traps and all ) it might be better. Dropping poo poo on monsters is always fun.

Wiped out Xeno on the third try. :toot: Noticed something fun too for bow / pierce ammo users.

Xeno is so goddamn big, if you fire along his length while he's charging at someone else, you get a shitton of extra hits. He literally keeps running into / along your shots and takes a hilarious amount of extra damage. I caught him while he was doing the out-of-stamina bellyflop and just the amount of numbers that spewed up. :stare:

I guess same would happen for dual blades too, depending how it tracks?

pierce gunning xeno is hilarious because when he's glowing and pissed off every single shot is a weakspot hit

I have +50% Weakness Exploit, +30% Max Might, three levels of Crit Eye for +10% and have augmented +10% onto my gun. Every hit's a crit.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dragon Piercer can cut tails but switching to a melee weapon is easier.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

big nipples big life posted:

Dragon Piercer can cut tails but switching to a melee weapon is easier.
:cheers:

Seems like everyone has ripped through this game so fast but I've been having a lot of fun just plodding along as slow as possible

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Digirat posted:

I am just shocked that a game which didn't copy paste three quarters of its assets from other games with 2005 graphics has less content than those games.

World lacking content is a dumb complaint. Even just comparing large monsters, which is already an unfair comparison since World does much more than just add monsters, it's hardly lacking.

First Generation

MH1 17 monsters, 0 colour variants. 17 unique, 0 new.
MH1u 31 monsters. 13 colour variants. 18 unique, 1 new.

Second Generation

MH2 45 monsters, 16 colour variants. 29 unique, 16 new.
MH2u 58 monsters, 21 colour variants. 38 unique, 10 new.

Third Generation

MH3 18 monsters, 0 colour variants. 18 unique, 15 new. (wtf?)
MH3u 52 monster, 23 colour variants. 29 unique, 10 new.

Fourth Generation

MH4 52 monster, 16 colour variants. 36 unique, 16 new.
MH4u 81 monster, 26 colour variants. 55 unique, 10 new.
MHx 73 monsters, 13 colour variants, 60 unique, 12 new
MHxx 93 monsters, 23 colour variants, 70 unique, 8 new

Fifth Generation

MHW 31 monster, 3 colour variants. 28 unique, 18 new.
MHWu 68 monsters, 25 colour variants, 43 unique, 12 new. (guesstimate)

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

limited posted:

A thought hit me too. If they're doing crossover events, how about the Devil May Cry franchise? :getin: Hunting a demonic, flaming lava spider would totally be my poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ru-IT11Fl0

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's a good all-rounder HBG for trying out the weapon for the first time?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Jagras tree is pretty solid. The final gun is cheap to make and doesn't require anything difficult to acquire, either.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Monomythian posted:

World lacking content is a dumb complaint. Even just comparing large monsters, which is already an unfair comparison since World does much more than just add monsters, it's hardly lacking.

First Generation

MH1 17 monsters, 0 colour variants. 17 unique, 0 new.
MH1u 31 monsters. 13 colour variants. 18 unique, 1 new.

Second Generation

MH2 45 monsters, 16 colour variants. 29 unique, 16 new.
MH2u 58 monsters, 21 colour variants. 38 unique, 10 new.

Third Generation

MH3 18 monsters, 0 colour variants. 18 unique, 15 new. (wtf?)
MH3u 52 monster, 23 colour variants. 29 unique, 10 new.

Fourth Generation

MH4 52 monster, 16 colour variants. 36 unique, 16 new.
MH4u 81 monster, 26 colour variants. 55 unique, 10 new.
MHx 73 monsters, 13 colour variants, 60 unique, 12 new
MHxx 93 monsters, 23 colour variants, 70 unique, 8 new

Fifth Generation

MHW 31 monster, 3 colour variants. 28 unique, 18 new.
MHWu 68 monsters, 25 colour variants, 43 unique, 12 new. (guesstimate)

It lacks the entirely separate list of guild hall quests to work through. Like I've finished every single quest in this game, something I've never done in any other mh game, and in less than half of the time I spent playing those.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yeah jagras and nerg hbg are both really solid. I like nerg with close range mods and spread shot a lot.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Is there an option to make the camera not pan to the scoutflies at the start of every mission while I'm trying to hit the canteen?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lets hang out posted:

It lacks the entirely separate list of guild hall quests to work through. Like I've finished every single quest in this game, something I've never done in any other mh game, and in less than half of the time I spent playing those.

Yeah but World has investigations which never run out, have unique settings and provide better rewards.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Armor-Piercing posted:

Is there an option to make the camera not pan to the scoutflies at the start of every mission while I'm trying to hit the canteen?

I want this too but if there is an option I can't figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

lets hang out posted:

The guild hall quests are just investigations?

edit : Also having you Hunter Rank go up during the story/caravan quests is so good. I've pretty much finished all the caravan quests in 4u and find out I have to do a bunch of tutorial tier stuff to raise my rank to get the G rank? Ughhh.

Your Moms Ahegao fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 24, 2018