Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

following this thread's glowing recommendations i'm now watching Discovery. it's good.

That's basically how I live my life re: rpg recommendations, and it's been working out pretty great.

Arivia posted:

Tipping would lead to a bigger more complicated system than Phoenix Command. Way way too much man.

Just give everyone three dollars. Four is too much, and two is too little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I'm not gonna watch an ad to read this but holy poo poo that is possibly the worst discovery take I've ever seen, including the "Michael Burnham is the first black star trek lead" take

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

For sale: RPG, never read.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You run into a basic problem with your Star Trek/Warhammer comparison, which is that I'm pretty sure you'd have just as many sex criminals in both circles, if being a Warham didn't preclude one from having sex.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

You run into a basic problem with your Star Trek/Warhammer comparison, which is that I'm pretty sure you'd have just as many sex criminals in both circles, if being a Warham didn't preclude one from having sex.

Star Trek posted:

"Hrm, what if we reverse the ion polarity to the 6th degree, thereby reducing our quantum entanglement!" "Brilliant! By doing so, we can harmonize our carbon load and pull out of this gravitational flux!"

Warhammer 40,000 posted:

Just the lyrics to Amen and Attack by Powerwolf, on an infinite loop, at max volume

:colbert:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Discovery is good because it's about the pinko pacifist federation learning that the only way to deal with space jihadis is to learn how to commit war crimes and threaten to explode their planets

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

oh I figured out your problem, you're watching Voyager instead of a good one

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

The LoGH connoisseur is an enlightened volcel who has transcended the designs of Yaldabaoth and is studying the way to join Sophia.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I watched maybe a dozen episodes of TNG and a couple of Voyager in my entire life

Plutonis posted:

The LoGH connoisseur is an enlightened volcel who has transcended the designs of Yaldabaoth and is studying the way to join Sophia.

I prefer Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Oh I also checked out Wrath of Khan because Ricardo Montalban was funny in Freakazoid :3:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Plutonis posted:

Discovery is good because it's about the pinko pacifist federation learning that the only way to deal with space jihadis is to learn how to commit war crimes and threaten to explode their planets

it's good because like every Trek show it's good in proportion to the degree that it recognizes that the Federation kind of sucks, and better than DS9 because instead of just having Quark look directly at the camera and tell you so, it demonstrates it

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Ceterum censeo Chatthreadium delendam esse

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's good because like every Trek show it's good in proportion to the degree that it recognizes that the Federation kind of sucks, and better than DS9 because instead of just having Quark look directly at the camera and tell you so, it demonstrates it

this is a very strange reading of DS9

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

lol wut.

Theres such a staggering amount of wrong there that I'd like you source your quotes.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

You should have picked a selection from that ancient Warhams book where the marine lets loose a genetically-augmented fart in the other dude's face, and it goes on for a couple of paragraphs of description.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

You should have picked a selection from that ancient Warhams book where the marine lets loose a genetically-augmented fart in the other dude's face, and it goes on for a couple of paragraphs of description.

Star Trek posted:

Commander Data: Excuse me Captain, could you spend an entire episode explaining basic human concepts that you and the audience already take for granted, like love, or fart jokes?

Warhammer 40K posted:

Commander Data, like all the abominable Men of Iron, had been purged millennia ago. No longer shall his ilk be tolerated.

:awesomelon:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The federation is the good guys, ergo they own

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

B-but Voyager is the best one

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

cheetah7071 posted:

my condolences

(realtalk it gets watchable somewhere around the halfway point)

I'm not sure I'd say it gets better. The best episode is in the second half (I think episode 13), but it's still hit and miss. The best episode comes right after a really bad one that needed bad filler to even reach a 37 minute runtime.

They double down on the grimdark poo poo after the midseason break. Literally half of the episodes in this series and nearly all of the episodes in the second half feature torture. Most episodes in the second half feature mass murder. There is even cannibalism by Starfleet crew members.

But on the other hand, the way they ended it in the season finale seems to hold out hope that they might put that behind them next season. It'll be interesting to see if they keep going for murderhobos in space while claiming to be idealistic or if they pull a bait and switch and draw people in with the ultraviolence in season 1 then follow up with utopian space adventure.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Iīll die on the hill of "Discovery is lovely."
Not because itīs bad as a Trek series, why I donīt even care about, but because its bad as a coherent story and tv series.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jimbozig posted:

I'm not sure I'd say it gets better. The best episode is in the second half (I think episode 13), but it's still hit and miss. The best episode comes right after a really bad one that needed bad filler to even reach a 37 minute runtime.

They double down on the grimdark poo poo after the midseason break. Literally half of the episodes in this series and nearly all of the episodes in the second half feature torture. Most episodes in the second half feature mass murder. There is even cannibalism by Starfleet crew members.

But on the other hand, the way they ended it in the season finale seems to hold out hope that they might put that behind them next season. It'll be interesting to see if they keep going for murderhobos in space while claiming to be idealistic or if they pull a bait and switch and draw people in with the ultraviolence in season 1 then follow up with utopian space adventure.

I mean the second half was still grimdark but like the main leads were resisting the grimdark elements instead of being active participants in it, and I cared whether they lived or died even a little bit. Ultimately, I'll stand by "the second half is where it gets watchable" but won't go any further than that.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.
I downgraded Discovery from a 7 to a 5 in the second half for killing one of the men in the first Trek gay couple. What is this, 2003? Get over killing LGBT people for shock value, please.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Discovery is a mixed bag, but not unwatchable garbage. One of the strongest first seasons of a Trek show. Probably 2nd or 3rd deoending on how you rank stand out episodes vs overall consistency.

ALSO the best eps are both before the break and are the timeloop episode and the Paviian tree people episode.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

*Rich Evans laugh*

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Discovery had Bryan Singer set it up, and then abruptly leave the show right about the time they were getting ready to start producing episodes. The season feels like the showrunners had all these ideas from him that either they didn't want to use or didn't know where he intended to go with them.

On the other hand, it wouldn't be a real trek show if the first season wasn't a bunch of ideas that take a while to catch their stride.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Moriatti posted:

Discovery is a mixed bag, but not unwatchable garbage. One of the strongest first seasons of a Trek show. Probably 2nd or 3rd deoending on how you rank stand out episodes vs overall consistency.

ALSO the best eps are both before the break and are the timeloop episode and the Paviian tree people episode.

I hate the time loop episode, and I love time travel poo poo to an unreasonable degree. I've watched every lovely time travel movie I can - even goddamn Hot Tub Time Machine (which was pretty bad). That's why retrocausality was an instant buy for me without even knowing anything about it other than "time travel!" I was sold as soon as it mentioned Bill and Ted.

There was a good episode there to be made with that time loop and I was on board for the first half of the episode, but it felt like they cut out some crucial stuff and couldn't stick the landing.

Oh, and the ending was mind-boggling - "haha, your punishment for mass murder and treason is to have to go be henpecked by your shrewish wife. The ol ball and chain, right fellas?" What decade was this show produced in??

Pavan episode was fine. I notice you picked the two that had mostly self-contained stories. In that sense they were the most like other Trek series.

I thought episode 13 did really well with what the show was trying to do, having exciting action and good pacing, and progressing the serial story without "reveals" that were obvious to everyone ages ago. It still had the characters attempting insane plans that could only work if nothing goes wrong, but I can forgive that - that's just how TV works sometimes. I am happy to judge Discovery on its own terms and if they want to make it serial instead of episodic, I'm fine with that. It's just that it's often pretty bad even on its own terms.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Jimbozig posted:

Oh, and the ending was mind-boggling - "haha, your punishment for mass murder and treason is to have to go be henpecked by your shrewish wife. The ol ball and chain, right fellas?" What decade was this show produced in??

Is Miles O'Brien in the new series?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Wait they just straight up copied Mudd's ending from his second ep in the original series? I am assuming they did it to Mudd?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Jimbozig posted:

Pavan episode was fine. I notice you picked the two that had mostly self-contained stories. In that sense they were the most like other Trek series.

I thought episode 13 did really well with what the show was trying to do, having exciting action and good pacing, and progressing the serial story without "reveals" that were obvious to everyone ages ago. It still had the characters attempting insane plans that could only work if nothing goes wrong, but I can forgive that - that's just how TV works sometimes. I am happy to judge Discovery on its own terms and if they want to make it serial instead of episodic, I'm fine with that. It's just that it's often pretty bad even on its own terms.

The ending wasn't a punishment. They found out why Mudd was running and did what they thought would rehabilitate or at least stop him.

They were wrong, but I get the thought.

I generally agree, I picked episodes that had stand alone villians, but charcter development that followed through.

Pavan ep had Saru learn to not be held back by his fears, and his experience there later helped him understand what Tyler/Voq was going through. It's a good Trek ep that informs that character for the rest of the series.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I quit watching TNG after three episodes. I just heard about the fourth episode yesterday, and drat. I'm glad I jumped off that ship early.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

There's a reason people say to skip season 1.
Honestly, with TNG, I say cherrY pick a couple eps then go right into DS9.
Though the first season of DS9 is pretty rough too tbh.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Desiden posted:

Discovery had Bryan Singer set it up, and then abruptly leave the show after being exposed as a rapist/pedophile for the nth time and it actually sticking right about the time they were getting ready to start producing episodes.

I feel it's important to point that part out.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

demota posted:

I quit watching TNG after three episodes. I just heard about the fourth episode yesterday, and drat. I'm glad I jumped off that ship early.
Start season one at episode 23. In fact, just watch the episodes with Q and the season open/endings, plus a few others that are kinda scattered in there. The one jonathan frakes directed where he's playing a crazy guy but is trapped in an asylum and can't sort reality from acting is loving phenomenal.

Season 7 gets really weird but some people love it, and All Good Things is IMO the perfect way to end the series.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I feel it's important to point that part out.

Bryan Singer is indeed a shitbag, but it was Bryan Fuller who worked on Discovery.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
oops, yeah, was mixing up my bryans.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Desiden posted:

oops, yeah, was mixing up my bryans.

I forgot he was on it too since he was on American Gods before he abruptly left that, mostly due to fighting with Neil Gaiman about how close it would adapt the novel.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

After season 1 I'd have thought that ship had sailed. Between American Gods and Hannibal, he definitely has a tendency to change things around for what feels like just the sake of it.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Forgive me if cross-posting is discouraged here, but over in the Game Writing Workshop Thread I put up a beta playtest kit for my fantasy heartbreaker RPG. That thread doesn't see much traffic these days, so I wanted to draw attention to it here in hopes of drawing some eyeballs in its direction.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Bryan Fuller made Pushing Daisies, and for this reason he is allowed to do exactly as he pleases, forever.

Sorry, this is just how ethics works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Falstaff posted:

Forgive me if cross-posting is discouraged here, but over in the Game Writing Workshop Thread I put up a beta playtest kit for my fantasy heartbreaker RPG. That thread doesn't see much traffic these days, so I wanted to draw attention to it here in hopes of drawing some eyeballs in its direction.

This looks really cool, I'll give it a read soon.