Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Influence is such a massive bottleneck now that I'm usually sitting on huge stockpiles of energy and minerals with nothing to do with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Is it just me or has auto-explore broke a bit later on in the game?

very broke, they dont seem to acknowledge any newly opened up terrain

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

queeb posted:

how hard is the star trek mod? I've barely played the base game at all and have no idea what im doing but holy man the mod sounds great and i wanna fire it up

The mod actually lists the difficulty next to each race in the race selection screen. Borg is Easy, Federation is Average, etc. I'm a few hours into a Federation game and it's pretty awesome roleplaying the birth of the Federation. Difficulty has been a little easier than the base game so far, the four founding races are eager to form a an alliance from the get-go and pirates have been passive. Even the most troublesome races I've encountered so far--Cardassians and Romulans--are not aggressive and are keeping to themselves behind closed borders.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Influence is such a massive bottleneck now that I'm usually sitting on huge stockpiles of energy and minerals with nothing to do with them.

Yeah I'm expanding to my influence limit really, I think the game expects me to be teching up faster and have more planets to upgrade.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

OwlFancier posted:

So I'm sitting on 10k minerals before having researched destroyers in 2270. Gaia start + 2x tech cost seems to do odd things to the balance of the game. I just don't have anything else to spend money on. Expanding as fast as I can so I can find things to blow up or colonize.

2299 and I’ve researched ZPP, Battleships, Citadels, have five tradition trees cleared and just two planets. Just need to draw Mega Engineering to spend my fifth perk on Galactic Wonders.

Life Seeded works very well for a pseudo OPS but sometimes not expanding is the right call.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
This is probably just me not figuring it out, but I'm having a problem with wars and overclaiming. I'll start a conquest war, and be winning, but when I go into the make peace screen, my only option to gain territory is to demand everything I'm claiming, which, because I'm not winning by enough, means that the enemy won't accept it. Meanwhile, my war exhaustion is ticking up, and the game forces me to white peace. Is there any way to only demand some of your claims in a war?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
My machine empire is finally settling in to purge its first batch of meatbags, and my armies don't seem to lower unrest enough to profit off their delicious energy. Sigh.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Epicurius posted:

This is probably just me not figuring it out, but I'm having a problem with wars and overclaiming. I'll start a conquest war, and be winning, but when I go into the make peace screen, my only option to gain territory is to demand everything I'm claiming, which, because I'm not winning by enough, means that the enemy won't accept it. Meanwhile, my war exhaustion is ticking up, and the game forces me to white peace. Is there any way to only demand some of your claims in a war?

The middle option gives you all the claims you currently have occupied.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This is probably a dumb question but am I supposed to be pooping out outposts like crazy to grow my empire? I started next to a peaceful empire of the same strength and they grew fairly quickly while my borders stagnated. There were only two habitable worlds but I didn't want to rush and colonize them. Even when I did things still went slowly.

EDIT: Also I researched robots. If I colonize a low quality world will it stick a human pop there automatically, or can I choose to only have robots there?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

status quo gets you everything you currently got occupied

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Epicurius posted:

Status quo gives you every claim you've occupied.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Fellblade posted:

The middle option gives you all the claims you currently have occupied.

Thanks. I had assumed it worked like previous games, where it meant no exchange of territory.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Is anyone else experiencing trouble getting achievement to pop? I've explored a natural wormhole twice now in a game that says it is achievement-eligible, but the achievement didn't complete.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

ZekeNY posted:

My machine empire is finally settling in to purge its first batch of meatbags, and my armies don't seem to lower unrest enough to profit off their delicious energy. Sigh.

Nobody seems to get anything from purging at the moment because the entire mechanic is bugged.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm playing a defensive Fanatic Purifier. Fanatic Xenophobe, Spiritualist, Democratic. We like to vote on which xeno scum is the worst.

We just sit in our claimed space (which is larger than any other empire right now), on our one perfect Gaia world, happily building the biggest, baddest, most kick-rear end defensive stations you'll find anywhere. Then when someone pokes us, we wipe them out. There's no negotiation, we just bomb their homeworld into a tomb world, then work our way outwards until we calm down. We haven't built a single offensive army, but our Strong, Resilient population has heavily fortified the homeworld. We're also beautiful butterflies.

So far the poor humans who border us to the southeast have poked us twice. Once they declared war, and once they sent us an insult. Their remnants of the species is now scraping out a meager existence on a size 12 barren, barely-habitable rock orbiting Alpha Centauri. There aren't many of them left. The polls are split between "poor things, we should put them out of their misery" and "let them suffer, there are bigger fish to fry."

Anyway my biggest bottleneck right now is energy. I'm maxxed out on influence. I find myself taking the few remaining influence edicts, even the ones I don't really need, just to have something to spend it on. But those big defensive stations just suck down energy like crazy.

That said, it's 2280ish, my fleet is superior to everyone I've found so far, and my primary defensive station on my contested frontier is TWICE the strength of my fleet. So far it's repelled the humans, their disgusting bug-people friends, and the mauraders (twice).

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Setting primitives policy to hunting doesn't appear to actually give food. It shows 6 food on the tile but it doesn't collect it.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I think I've just now gotten to this point, ~80-90 years in. I know theres some tech to boost faction influence but I don't know if its going to make enough of a difference

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

energy should never really be sitting around, at least. you can spend thousands and thousands of energy on enclave stuff like art monuments, proprietary strategic resources, etc.

art monuments seem to let you get ahead of the curve on unity generation by making planets contribute more than they penalize

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, my game I got the whole "mining drone harvesting" event and swept up several nearby fleets for several thousand E-creds, I then immediately turned around and arranged a huge deficit deal with the local enclave (who are right in the middle of the XT Exterminator's territory, lol) and used the extra influx of minerals to rapidly build up my economy and expansion.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Bedurndurn posted:

Nobody seems to get anything from purging at the moment because the entire mechanic is bugged.

Ah well. Time to wait for the next patch, then.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I must admit these colonizing/anti-expansion mechanics have me at a bit of a loss. I have tons of empty space. Should I just be expanding like mad?

My two neighbors to the north are friendly. The marauders don't bother me because I have no rivals to pay them, and when they occasionally pop up to ask for tribute I'm rich enough to not even care. Take your 500 energy and leave me alone. I'm building research-focused habitats.

Also, I feel the wormhole mechanics are a bit bugged. I have a wormhole in one of my systems, I had a scientist examine it, but they won't actually enter the wormhole because they magically know there are hostiles on the other side. And yet my military ships won't enter it because it hasn't been explored yet. So my only option is to set a science ship with a scientist into an area I know is hostile? Seems like that should play out differently.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Like other people have been saying, war is improved but still kind of a mess.

One silly situation was when I was invading a neighbor with the assistance of my sole federation ally. My empire was at the top of the enemy empire, my ally's was at the bottom. I was merrily conquering my way down, seizing starbase after starbase but the enemy and ally fleets were a bit more evenly matched so our enemy focused on my ally first. But I couldn't move to assist because the only quick hyperspace route went through the enemy capital. Not an issue on its own, but the problem arose when I tried to send my fleets through to assist. The capital system's starbase had an FTL inhibitor and despite controlling the starbase, I couldn't move my fleets out because I hadn't conquered the planet. Since my transports were lagging behind, conquering the planet was going to be pretty time-consuming while enemy fleets were tearing through my ally's territory. Even after taking the planet and opening up routes through, there was still a wall of starbases with FTL inhibitors and colonized planets that I would have to slowly push through before I could help. Meanwhile, despite not losing a battle, my War Exhaustion was already at 45%. The enemy's, despite having their capital occupied and being at 100% War Exhaustion, was still hundreds of points away from surrendering.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, every time I attempt to figure out what the hell is going on with the fleet manager and I just get more confused. It seems as though the ships I want to do stuff with in regards to upgrades and things like that no longer register in the fleet management screen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A thought occurs to me, I assume the sentry now just has infinite sensor range, but does that mean it can't see into nebulae if built outside one?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm having a really hard time playing with the "Tiny X" interface mods, specially for the outliner now that I've got 20 starbases that constantly need upgrading and new modules. We can put planets in sectors but I sure wish we could automate starbases a bit. I just want them to automatically upgrade and re-build their little mini stations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Have defensive pacts always been a terrible idea? I've just had the same enemy pull me into three wars one after the other by attacking 3 other empires I have defensive pacts with one after the other. Absolutely devastated my empire, didn't touch any of the systems of the person they were actually declaring war on.

Now I know how the AI feels when the player manipulates mechanics to bypass truces :(

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm having a stellaris problem and the problem is every time i load up the game i want to try out a new empire instead of continuing where i last left off

i'm never gonna see the megaweapons at this rate

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm having a stellaris problem and the problem is every time i load up the game i want to try out a new empire instead of continuing where i last left off

Same but with map slider settings.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Brother Entropy posted:

My problem is I play straight Stellaris once or twice with every big change to see the new stuff then go back to New Horizons.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

Seriously, every time I attempt to figure out what the hell is going on with the fleet manager and I just get more confused. It seems as though the ships I want to do stuff with in regards to upgrades and things like that no longer register in the fleet management screen.

Speaking of fleet manager, apparently I can assign negative amounts of ships to a fleet.

As far as I can tell this design doesn't actually exist.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I don't want to alarm you, but I suggest you prepare for war and annihilate your eastern neighbors immediately. They are creepy ghosts coming to get you.

Brother Entropy posted:

I admit, I'm half tempted to start a new game myself. I almost wonder if I blobbed too much as the Ixal and screwed up my research/unity gains. Also being Xenophone and having no friends is lonely.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't want to alarm you, but I suggest you prepare for war and annihilate your eastern neighbors immediately. They are creepy ghosts coming to get you.

I didn't even notice that. It is somewhat alarming.

I don't want to wipe out the UNE though. They've been super friendly to me and even shifted ethics towards materialist to be more like me!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Holy poo poo that's the first time I've had to give up in a while, Contingency popped with like 500k in each system and nobody was even close :psylon:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I admit, I'm half tempted to start a new game myself. I almost wonder if I blobbed too much as the Ixal and screwed up my research/unity gains. Also being Xenophone and having no friends is lonely.

i'm having a similar loneliness problem in my current game, i didn't realize despoilers civic came with an opinion penalty(obvious in hindsight, i know) so i put it and repugnant on at the same time and now everyone hates me the second they meet me

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Splicer posted:

I've always felt the actual death animations could be a bit more explodey.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=692492543

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

By the way, is there an easy way to upgrade weapon platforms, or do I have to go to each outpost/starbase and click the button to upgrade their platforms?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is awesome, I've always found it odd how ships just sort of sank and faded out rather than exploded in an obvious way to signal "you just killed a ship". The warp-out escape flash is nice and obvious though.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
First time playing since launch, so coming with a relatively fresh perspective.

I've been playing a fast expanding game, at least as fast as I could manage with the influence bottleneck. It was off to a promising start, Mankind crushing some robots neighbours thanks to a quick buy of cruisers from galatic nomads and spreading to the stars. But by 2280, it went downhill, struggling to provide food for an ever-rising population, military spending to maintain a rising fleet and starbases tanking the economy. People took to the streets and spiritualism was on the rise in the colonies. I'll say government collapsed and civil war broke out but I threw the towel before that when a demoralized navy was beat up by pirates. Don't know how to recover from the downturn spiral

The difference I remember from the first games I played was that I no longer spent 1 hour fine tuning my ships and that colonization efforts were few and far between. Might be the game settings though.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
So, why the heck was the decision made to not make the tutorial/VI advisor for hive minds and machine collectives? Just getting back into this game after like a year, getting the DLCs, was very excited to play as one of the synthetic races after reading up on them... but I'm just clunking around because everything is new and I've got no idea what to do anymore. Things are a lot different since the last time I played, but it seems like the only way to get a handle on it is to play as a race I don't really want to right now just to figure it out, and even then it'll be a race that doesn't work like the gestalt intelligence ones do? Maybe I'm dumb and I'm missing something but I don't get the decision to remove the tutorials completely from a whole group of newer mechanic races, especially when a new DLC gets released that'll be bringing some people back that haven't played in awhile. Is the best way to get back into this game if you want to play as machines just to gut through it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

do I have to worry about namelists becoming incompatible with a patch?