Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Killed By Death posted:

Outer was, inner was not. Here's red vision a second before that clip

I didn't really mean to make much in the way of a balance statement/complaint, I just thought the clip was funny :v:

digging the team comp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Alright thread, I've been wanting to expand my mid/top repertoire. I don't care about helping my team or contributing to strong team compositions, I just want to try to kill my lane opponent with unmetered aggression as early as possible, as often as possible. I've been playing a lot of Pantheon. Suggestions?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

have you seen my baby posted:

Alright thread, I've been wanting to expand my mid/top repertoire. I don't care about helping my team or contributing to strong team compositions, I just want to try to kill my lane opponent with unmetered aggression as early as possible, as often as possible. I've been playing a lot of Pantheon. Suggestions?

fizz and riven

Orv
May 4, 2011

Volibear before he gets put back in the grave for another two years before he gets reworked.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Quoting myself to give context:

Enigma89 posted:

I'm new to league but a hard core DotA player. Just curious what you guys think of my stats, builds and rune on Draven. I ran aery for a while but using klepto now.

Have about a 50% win rate which I think is pretty solid for never playing League before. I have a bet with a friend that if I rank into Bronze 2 he quits league and comes to DotA.

http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=Enigma89

Any tips would be recommended. I have been noticing that I have been queuing up with gold, plat and silver players so I feel like hitting Bronze 2 should be fairly easy but just doing a gut check with this post.

Enigma89 posted:

Not that anyone cares but I ended up placing Silver IV (went 4-6 in placements) and now am up to Silver 3. I hit promos for Silver 2 pretty fast but lost those games so still grinding away.

My friend who tilts like crazy and has been playing for league placed Bronze 3 lol.

So I did lose my Silver 2 promos, and went all the way back down to silver 4. I kept grinding away and went on a pretty massive win streak, I have won 20 out of my last 24 games. http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=Enigma89 says my MMR is at 1,507 which apparently is gold 5. Sitting at 69 LP at Silver 2. I was hoping that I would start getting a lot more LP per match but I have only been getting +17 per game. I have heard if you start winning a lot you will go up higher in divisions but I haven't seen it yet. Does anyone know about this?

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 24, 2018

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Enigma89 posted:

So I did lose my Silver 2 promos, and went all the way back down to silver 4. I kept grinding away and went on a pretty massive win streak, I have won 20 out of my last 24 games. http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=Enigma89 says my MMR is at 1,507 which apparently is gold 5. Sitting at 69 LP at Silver 2. I was hoping that I would start getting a lot more LP per match but I have only been getting +17 per game. I have heard if you start winning a lot you will go up higher in divisions but I haven't seen it yet. Does anyone know about this?

The system has a confidence algorithm that attempts to determine whether you're in the correct division for your skill level or if you just got lucky/unlucky. If you started at Silver 2 and tanked all the way to Silver 4, especially in your first season ever, the confidence algorithm will have adjusted downwards to assume that you're around a Silver 4/Silver 3 level, and that an MMR above that is probably from a lucky streak. Therefore, your LP gains will still be low. You might, in truth, be above a Silver 4/Silver 3 level of skill, but the system usually requires dozens and dozens of games with a high win rate before it starts adjusting LP gains upwards.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Play Yorick, kill your laner, push to tower, 1v3 after getting Steraks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

renekton

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

He’s harder to learn and a bit of a weirdo but Urgot fulfills these requirements

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
Oh also obviously Illaoi.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Vermain posted:

The system has a confidence algorithm that attempts to determine whether you're in the correct division for your skill level or if you just got lucky/unlucky. If you started at Silver 2 and tanked all the way to Silver 4, especially in your first season ever, the confidence algorithm will have adjusted downwards to assume that you're around a Silver 4/Silver 3 level, and that an MMR above that is probably from a lucky streak. Therefore, your LP gains will still be low. You might, in truth, be above a Silver 4/Silver 3 level of skill, but the system usually requires dozens and dozens of games with a high win rate before it starts adjusting LP gains upwards.

I started Silver 4 and went to Silver 3 and into Silver 2 promos and then down to Silver 4 but I see what you are saying. Basically, I shouldn't look into the MMR too deeply.

Just a general question what rank do people generally shoot for? I know it all depends on the hardcore players and the people who just play a lot but what is generally accepted as a decent rank? Gold, gold 1?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

I started Silver 4 and went to Silver 3 and into Silver 2 promos and then down to Silver 4 but I see what you are saying. Basically, I shouldn't look into the MMR too deeply.

Just a general question what rank do people generally shoot for? I know it all depends on the hardcore players and the people who just play a lot but what is generally accepted as a decent rank? Gold, gold 1?

genuinely diamond 4 is the cutoff for good in my eyes but really it does not matter at all in any respect, diamond players will see anything sub plat as unacceptable but bronze players see gold players as invincible demigods. just play and have fun while getting better at the game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bronze is below average, silver is average, gold is slightly above average, so on.

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

Gold gets you a free skin at the end of the season, so there's always that.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Is even a single goon that made a sheen joke higher elo than me

I mean I know that I throw rocks in my glass house on cooldown but lol

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Enigma89 posted:

Shoot for whatever rank you feel comfortable going for. Too many players treat climbing the ladder like its a job and get pissy when they're not as high as they think they should be. It sounds trite but this is a game, when you stop having fun, chill out in some normals or play something else/whatever.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

its curtains for Kevin posted:

its a really easy thing to roast you over, like making fun of gowbys fiddlesticks engages, or how cool and cutting edge i am, really easy low hanging fruit like that

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Always shoot for #1 but be accepting of the possibility you'll end up last.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

pog boyfriend posted:

its a really easy thing to roast you over, like making fun of gowbys fiddlesticks engages, or how cool and cutting edge i am, really easy low hanging fruit like that

Yeah well it doesn’t spawn until 5 minutes now so easy with the chronoracism, armor bear

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

The exact second I see a pro player build double Sheen I will stop roasting you for it but until then stop building double Sheen you loving animal

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Today I saw a pro player build Manamune on Taric.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Double Sheen does sound tremendously stupid

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
I never made fun of sheens even once cause everyone was like well he's high elo guess theres something to it... Till you showed up on bjergs stream and fed relentlessly the entire game & got carried.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

Weird that a guy who barely knows how the game works & rose to the top of the pile on mechanical skill thinks champs that let you bypass all of the actual game and teleport backwards six times when you gently caress up repeatedly are good.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

njsykora posted:

Today I saw a pro player build Manamune on Taric.

Since his Q is spammable on towers giving you crazy attack speed Manamune is fine if you want a lot of tower pressure.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Matt Lindland posted:

I never made fun of sheens even once cause everyone was like well he's high elo guess theres something to it... Till you showed up on bjergs stream and fed relentlessly the entire game & got carried.

I still remember when qtpie popped off after I stole baron in his game lmao

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

Folks... I don’t want to say I’m old and washed up but the last time I was in a streamers game it was owned.tv

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I pop up occasionally on plays.tv as the person getting owned...it’s nice to see good players make good plays :)

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah well it doesn’t spawn until 5 minutes now so easy with the chronoracism, armor bear

bond with all due respect here what in the god drat hell are you talking about

Orv
May 4, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

bond with all due respect here what in the god drat hell are you talking about

Really easy low hanging fruit

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Orv posted:

Really easy low hanging fruit

Why am i volibear

Orv
May 4, 2011
Why not

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

el dingo posted:

Shoot for whatever rank you feel comfortable going for. Too many players treat climbing the ladder like its a job and get pissy when they're not as high as they think they should be. It sounds trite but this is a game, when you stop having fun, chill out in some normals or play something else/whatever.

That's how I am with dota. I started to play league when I am too tired to play dota and Don't feel like climbing the ladder but I am catching myself get caught in this ladder as well.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Tilting down to a super average elo (mid silver) is going to be devastating to your MMR because it shows that you couldn't hang at a non-average MMR at all and had to be put down again.

You might only just have balanced your MMR out now from the tilt streak where you dropped down to silver 4. You'll know your MMR is fixed on your start gaining more than you lose, which should happen eventually, but you'll need to basically have another 20/24 win/loss streak to not have it gain as much as you lose. You're going to be struggling against the system recognizing your performance supposedly isn't any better than the largest swath of league players.

On skipping divisions, FWIW I haven't played a lot on my main account this season, only 28 games so far, but I have a 68% win rate and I skipped from gold 4 to gold 2 based on winrate alone. Skipping divisions is really, really hard in League and you have to set it up right so that you get into a series with 95+LP. I was getting 26LP per win and -15 per loss, and when I had 85LP I intentionally dodged a game to lose 3LP so that if I won the next game, I'd be around 98LP, and if I won the next three games to move up a division, I'd already be at an effective gold 3 ~75LP MMR in the next division when I started, and the system just moved me to gold 2. If you wanna skip, you really need to get as close to 99LP as possible and then win 3 games in a row.

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.
Is Teemo still cancerous?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Spam Musubi posted:

Well we haven't blown ourselves up yet, so draw your own conclusions.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Spam Musubi posted:

He's annoying as poo poo to play against but he isn't very good. There are a lot of ways to nullify his ability to control the game at the moment and a good number of toplaners (such as Pantheon or Vladimir) have advantageous matchups against him.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Teikanmi posted:

If you wanna skip, you really need to get as close to 99LP as possible and then win 3 games in a row.

This definitely might be true, but I've skipped divisions through gold the last 3 seasons with a similar win rate and didn't bother with getting close to 99 lp. It probably can't hurt though, guess I'll try it. I think generally if your mmr on op.gg is at least 2-3 divisions higher than your current one you'll be ok (i.e., plat 4 mmr lets you skip Gold 2, and so on and so forth). It's definitely a lot harder if you're climbing because you're getting better versus climbing because you're placed a bit low.

Definitely seconding though that a big losing streak can really gently caress up your mmr for a while.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
In my experience when you get streaky and climb real fast you don't get LP faster, you just skip divisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

pog boyfriend posted:

or my katarina jungle