Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im not sure how many have run into oom problem, sans me, but that's another question. some of the new hires will be doing the same thing where i did oom on a 16gb lappy as their main duties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
every 32gb laptop is a big clunker because intel literally doesn't make mobile chipsets that support that much memory. they've been promising to do it for years and repeatedly failing. so a laptop with 32gb is running with a desktop chipset and trying its best to make do

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rjmccall posted:

every 32gb laptop is a big clunker because intel literally doesn't make mobile chipsets that support that much memory. they've been promising to do it for years and repeatedly failing. so a laptop with 32gb is running with a desktop chipset and trying its best to make do

oh. well, that explains quite a lot, sadly

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

well that sucks but it is the law there

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

poty posted:

well that sucks but it is the law there

yeah but have they moved information on russian customers to physical hardware in russia? kazakhstanian customers' to kazakhstan?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

oh. well, that explains quite a lot, sadly

yeah. all the skylake mobile processors only support 16gb max, and only lpddr3 or ddr3l. kaby lake... well, "kaby lake" covers a lot of different chips with a lot of different capabilities, but the newer ones finally support 32gb and sometimes 64gb, generally of either lpddr3, ddr3l, or sometimes ddr4. none of them support lpddr4 yet, which is a shame because the power drop is pretty big. anyway the earliest of those chips started shipping at the start of last year, so most laptops are still based on older chips, so they generally don't go up to 32gb unless they're actually based around a desktop chip

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i see. i wonder if we can expect 32gb mbps then in the future, at least when lddpr4 comes around

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

rjmccall posted:

They're just using them as desktops so it doesn't matter how big and clunky they are.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fiedler posted:

They're just using them as desktops so it doesn't matter how big and clunky they are.

we are not.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if you need 32 gigs of ram in a laptop you are doing something wrong

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

if you need 32 gigs of ram in a laptop you are doing something wrong

im doing actual work, manager

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

then get powerful backend hardware to do the processor and memory intensive work and just use the laptops as thin clients

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The_Franz posted:

then get powerful backend hardware to do the processor and memory intensive work and just use the laptops as thin clients

i wouldn't be bringing this topic at all if this option was on the table of things that are feasible for the foreseeable future, yes

pram
Jun 10, 2001

:grin:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I used to be like you.

Now I have a cloud budget.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
he's in one of those countries

you know the ones

the ones that no one sells services to

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 24, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

I used to be like you.

Now I have a cloud budget.

actually i have some managerial duties, the phrase just went nicely with their username :shobon: i wish we could have cloud budget, but there are number of difficult challenges. chiefly, i would need to train every other potential user; the users would still unlikely make use of it (im estimating about 20% "conversion" rate); and we dont have "sysops" nowhere near the needed to pull off a computational microcluster that we are legally allowed to use for (most of the job is tightly regulated in one way or another; none of big 3 cloud providers are compliant)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

he's in one of those countries

you know the ones

the one's that no one sells services to

hey, latvia is not that bad. with microsoft specifically we even are first class citizens (there's full support for anything and everything, strong local mircorosft presence etc - basically remember what i told that accenture for many latvian it professionals is the dream employer, after that you go straight to fatcat consultancy gigs). the problems is that we operate in bunch of those countries, including two labelled as "threats to democracy" by the u.s., afaict

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
use of the cloud is forbidden by the edict of DOOM!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my laptop has a xeon in it, it weighs more than most babies even american ones

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

gently caress yes

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

had a colleague who spent three months shopping for his new laptop. got a boat anchor precision and spent another two months trying to get Linux stable on it and ended up running windows and a VMware workstation Linux vm lol

now you choose from a t series or a MacBook Pro

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
your colleague is an idiot, hth

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

unless this was like a decade ago, in which case they're still an idiot, but yeah it was possible to get a bunch of randomly unsupported hardware an any given dell build

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

use of the cloud is forbidden by the edict of DOOM!
:nsacloud: :doom:

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 25, 2018

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

am I too late to the Dell pity party? please to consider buying Latitude 7490 laptops with 32GB DDR

I am deeply sorry to post this in the HomePod thread

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 25, 2018

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

must not quote :negative:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

infernal machines posted:

your colleague is an idiot, hth

yeah, he spent a lot of time playing gently caress-gently caress games with the onboard vid and nvidia and external video or something. I didn’t pay attention.

not the best use of his time.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

64 gigs ought to be enough for anybody

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rjmccall posted:

"chipsets" don't exist in the sense they used to. memory is connected directly to the cpu

it's true that there is no easy way to configure lpddr w/ 32 gb, but that is only a problem for apple. other vendors just eat the 5W or whatever to use desktop RAM hooked up to a mobile cpu

your laptop with 64 gb will eat more power because it can't use lpddr, but not like, a ton more power

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

PCjr sidecar posted:

had a colleague who spent three months shopping for his new laptop. got a boat anchor precision and spent another two months trying to get Linux stable on it and ended up running windows and a VMware workstation Linux vm lol

now you choose from a t series or a MacBook Pro

is the t4x0p any good? it's literally the only sub-15" laptop i've heard of with a quad core and discrete graphics

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

carry on then posted:

is the t4x0p any good? it's literally the only sub-15" laptop i've heard of with a quad core and discrete graphics

no

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

carry on then posted:

they went without updates for a long time, and have consequently been dropped, *however*, the new non-p t480 has quad-core processors and a mx150, so that is probably what you want (not much of a dgpu, but you're looking at a gaming laptop if you want anything hotter)

for the usual requirements, however,

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the question now is tho what laptops to buy, since ill have to order two for our office this month

x1c

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 25, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

scrolling through their page and lol

"iphone x is the maseratti of smartphones" -telephone

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
honestly the x1 carbon is not bad ( for a pc. ) trackpad is kind of bad but aren't they all

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maximum Leader posted:

honestly the x1 carbon is not bad ( for a pc. ) trackpad is kind of bad but aren't they all

im not saying they are bad, i just find "-LAPTOP" funny. my honest gripes against thinpads, fro what they are, are the recent lenovo recall and that bunch of lenovo-bundled malware scandals of a few years ago

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

drat they even have webcam shutter

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im not saying they are bad, i just find "-LAPTOP" funny. my honest gripes against thinpads, fro what they are, are the recent lenovo recall and that bunch of lenovo-bundled malware scandals of a few years ago

the recall was a bad one (loose screw in some 5th gen x1c's, which could rattle its way over to short the battery), the malware falls under the banner of "all non-thinkpad lenovos are always bad" though, they weren't good on software either, and it never effected thinkpads

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

scrolling through their page and lol

an overpriced toy useless for anything productive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the recall was a bad one (loose screw in some 5th gen x1c's, which could rattle its way over to short the battery), the malware falls under the banner of "all non-thinkpad lenovos are always bad" though, they weren't good on software either, and it never effected thinkpads

fair enough