Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah, that sounds... pretty silly. It should apply automatically to every die regardless of who rolls it (so that if you pick 6, you make enemy boons roll 6 as well).
You'd think, yeah. I mean, I know I'd think.

And I believe my party's wizard put that one in his Grimoire so he can cast it many, many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

dwarf74 posted:

Consistency looks like one hell of a 1st level spell.

That sounds silly strong with Rogue's Exploit Opportunity.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

Consistency looks like one hell of a 1st level spell.

Just on general game design principles of "things which increase consistency in a random-results system become increasingly degenerate," this looks busted as hell.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

Just on general game design principles of "things which increase consistency in a random-results system become increasingly degenerate," this looks busted as hell.
I agree. I think it needs some surgery, and I'll be having a conversation with my sure to be disappointed player I think.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You could keep the ability if you changed it from a flat number to a choice of d3 + 3 or 4 - d3. That's a little complicated for a single level 1 spell though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You could keep the ability if you changed it from a flat number to a choice of d3 + 3 or 4 - d3. That's a little complicated for a single level 1 spell though.
Or possibly change it from can to does so it helps/hurts allies and enemies the same.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

Or possibly change it from can to does so it helps/hurts allies and enemies the same.

Another option would be to make it so that you can change any one d6 result per round/turn/however you care to divide it instead of all of them.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

Another option would be to make it so that you can change any one d6 result per round/turn/however you care to divide it instead of all of them.
I think that's basically how the 0 level spell works...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Found this.

G+ Post on Consistency

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
On reflection, a level 1 spell shouldn't be able to maximise damage rolls the way Consistency does RAW, so I would personally houserule it as "sets the value of every single boon/bane die, friend or foe, to the chosen number."

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

On reflection, a level 1 spell shouldn't be able to maximise damage rolls the way Consistency does RAW, so I would personally houserule it as "sets the value of every single boon/bane die, friend or foe, to the chosen number."
That seems like a pretty fair way to run it.

I was considering a massive revision that turns every d6 friend or foe into a 3 or a 4.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 17, 2018

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Lemon-Lime posted:

I like this solution, its also very thematic in a "all things in balance" sort of way.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It also makes sense as an "upgraded" version of Impose Predictability, and brings it back in line with the rest of the tradition.

On a similar note, Immobility should prevent all damage, instead of making the target take half damage.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
There's an official Schwalb podcast now:

https://twitter.com/schwalb_ent/status/965960234891206656

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Anyone have any idea what combination of paths you'd take to make a Pillar of Eternity Chanter? Preferably having access to some form of AoE buffs from level 1.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Anyone have any idea what combination of paths you'd take to make a Pillar of Eternity Chanter? Preferably having access to some form of AoE buffs from level 1.

Off the top of my head you're gonna want to have access to the Song tradition. Lots of AoE buffs to be found there, and right from rank 1.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I was thinking more martial and less caster - there's Skald as a master path, but I don't know if there's anything similar for novice and expert. Any warrior-ish paths at this tiers that focus on giving boons to party members? Sadly, Soldier gives itself a boon, which is a missed opportunity.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Lemon-Lime posted:

AoE buffs are nearly entirely relegated to Song magic. So to get them from level 1 you'd need to be playing a Magician, some sort of custom Priest or Adept (Forbidden Rules). If you're okay with waiting until level 2, Rogue also works. If I had to make a full progression of a Chanter I'd probably do something like:

Novice: Either Adept or a custom Priest with Song, Spiritualism, Life.
Expert: Shaman, from DLC1, I suppose. Helps get your Song buffs where they need to be without you having to be in the thick of things yourself. Nothing really too fitting at Expert.
Master: Bard or maybe Chaplain.

Honestly though, this is only a super rough approximation, Chanter is a rather unique class so it's hard to really try and make it in a different system. Wanting it to also be martial-focused is just not gonna work out due to how much you need Song magic for the flavor. Custom Priest is definitely your best bet for being both supporty and martialy at Novice tier, but it requires your GM to be cool with letting you pick your own traditions.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 24, 2018

Robotic Folksinger
Jun 27, 2008

I guess a robot would have to be crazy to wanna be a folksinger
Couldn't you do something, by picking up Song with the Spellguard from Bred for Battle?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Thanks! Spellguard (Song) > ?? > Bard seems like the best bet, with something gish-y at Expert if that exists, taking nothing but Song magic. Shaman doesn't really seem to fit the bill, is there anything that can grant boon/banes to allies that would fit?

Definitely feels like there's room for a homebrew Chanter expert path that interacts with singing/Song magic somehow, though.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 24, 2018

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I mean there’s Witch but Guidance doesn’t seem like it would mesh well with song magic (though that’s GM dependent). Spellbinder is the go-to for gishes but isn’t really big on boosting allies, other than with spells. Uh, maybe Artificer since you can hand out buff spells to use while singing from level 6 on? The bag of guns and bombs seems pretty PoE as well.

e: also in terms of handing out AOE boons and the like, while things like Blessing/Divine Aid in Theurgy are fairly obvious I should point out that Rune's Scrimshaw of Battle (from Freeport Companion) and Lasting Rune (from For Gold and Glory) are a really good level 1/0 combo that should let you passively buff the whole party's attack/damage for most of the adventuring day

LGD fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 25, 2018

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Well, you could try giving Spiritsinger a look, it's Song-based but it also has a heavy Woad flavour, so it might not fit too well either.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, none of those seem to really fit. Thanks for the recs, though! Guess I'll go Spellbinder anyway, or else try to homebrew something.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Speaking of build requests, I've a player who wants to be a healbot. Priest of the New God for Novice Path is all fine and good, but we're kinda struggling for a good Expert Path. We didn't really have time to look so we went with Cleric to follow the New God theme, but it's kinda useless without attack spells, and the player's going all in on Life so far. Red Cloak would probably fit thematically, but he wants dat Resurrection, baby, so a no Power path is unfortunately right out. I don't think I've missed anything, but I thought I'd just check if anyone had any suggestions.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Antilles posted:

Speaking of build requests, I've a player who wants to be a healbot. Priest of the New God for Novice Path is all fine and good, but we're kinda struggling for a good Expert Path. We didn't really have time to look so we went with Cleric to follow the New God theme, but it's kinda useless without attack spells, and the player's going all in on Life so far. Red Cloak would probably fit thematically, but he wants dat Resurrection, baby, so a no Power path is unfortunately right out. I don't think I've missed anything, but I thought I'd just check if anyone had any suggestions.
Go with Wizard.

No, seriously. That Spellbook feature lets you learn even more Healing spells, and cast them willy-nilly. Reskin it to a rosary or something thematically appropriate.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Wizard for the grimoire.

e;fb

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Conspiratiorist posted:

Wizard for the grimoire.

e;fb
True Story - my party's Clockwork Magician picked up Wizard, and learned Minor Healing for one of his grimoire spells.

That immediately turned him into an insanely effective heal-bot because that spider-thing has about a billion 0-level slots.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Yeah you don't even need to discover Life if you're a Magician+Wizard.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

If you're okay with having a lower overall power, then spellguard or priest > paladin, mystic, sage, warden, fighter, or mountebank > bard.

The problem I've had with hybridization like that is the generally narrow spell lists you can compile, because your opportunities for learning spells and your power are limited.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Antilles posted:

in addition to Wizard (which is an excellent pick), I think Sorcerer would likely be a good choice, though unfortunately the player won't really see the benefit until level 6 when greater sorcery kicks in

however once it does there are a lot of potential benefits - potent spell casting makes low level heals pretty beastly (assuming you're not going to be a stickler about the misplaced "attack" restriction on spells that heal, which you shouldn't), while far spell lets him use his touch-based heals at range, and lasting/empowered also have potential applications (especially if he branches out into Theurgy buffs or another tradition)

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Sorry for the double post. Phone app hosed up

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LGD posted:

in addition to Wizard (which is an excellent pick), I think Sorcerer would likely be a good choice, though unfortunately the player won't really see the benefit until level 6 when greater sorcery kicks in

however once it does there are a lot of potential benefits - potent spell casting makes low level heals pretty beastly (assuming you're not going to be a stickler about the misplaced "attack" restriction on spells that heal, which you shouldn't), while far spell lets him use his touch-based heals at range, and lasting/empowered also have potential applications (especially if he branches out into Theurgy buffs or another tradition)
I think that might be a bad idea, what with the exploding and all?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

I mean I guess, and also its illegal and heretical, but you've got complete control over whether you risk exploding or not, and you explode at the end of the round so it should frequently be possible to work around it via the simple expedient of one or more parties moving.

At the very least it has the potential to make things exciting!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I have an SotDL Freeport game going right now, and one of the PCs' sidequests has gone sideways, but in a really good way.

Our dwarf fighter's trainer has just revealed that she wasn't a veteran soldier like she told him she was. No, she was basically a luchadore-style pit fighter who's been in hiding for a few years, and a Ferren* pirate lord (Admiral Miaow) lost a bunch of money betting on a match she was supposed to throw. He's found her, so she's handed over management of her tavern - The Swinging Cod - to the group.

This may put a dent in the whole "investigate the cult" mission they had going.

* This is from Companion 2. No poo poo, they are feline humanoids who turn into fuzzy wuzzy kitty cats.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

dwarf74 posted:

To agree with what LGD said, I have a level 7 Sorcerer in my game that has never exploded the party. What a waste.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So what should you be aiming for if you want to do a starting adventure from scratch? Like, what will challenge the party without slaughtering them all?

Serf
May 5, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

So what should you be aiming for if you want to do a starting adventure from scratch? Like, what will challenge the party without slaughtering them all?

Keep it real simple. A few fomors maybe. If you want one to be extra tough, give them a role. Bandits (?) aren't bad either. Animated corpses are also good. If you feel like spending a little money, Dark Deeds in Last Hope and The Witching Wood are both really good starting adventures that can give you an idea of how much challenge to throw at a party.

Definitely no more than 20 Difficulty of monsters, though.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
are there any particularly fun builds for vampire player characters?

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

zeal posted:

are there any particularly fun builds for vampire player characters?

Build a Paladin just to gently caress with the Gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Glukeose posted:

Build a Paladin just to gently caress with the Gods.

that was one of my first considerations tbh

maybe a paladin of the jotunn