Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Space Skeleton posted:

Try this: Pull the ships out of the fleet and remove that design from the fleet template. Go into the ship designer and change the design for that ship in some way, even just swapping an armor and a shield position. Update the ships in their little fleet that is just them. Select the original flight and shift+click the fleet of ships you just upgraded and merge the fleets. Don't do this while the game is paused, put it on lowest speed if you usually do this stuff paused. That should add the ships back into the fleet template.

It's a strange bug and seems to happen to a particular design for a while.

Switched out the shield capacitor for Aux fire-control. It only allows me to upgrade one group of destroyers but not the other, and still separates them even when in their own fleet.

E: After upgrading, still separated.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I suck at maths, someone help me: so, in terms of expansion, when is it worth it to expand to get a system that gives research? I figure it's always good, just less and less so as time goes on. I figure: if +1 is = to 100% of your tech prod, making a new outpost would lower it where as if you increase cost by 100% (so 200% your original cost), that would translate into that +1 being + .5 yes? So it will never reach 0, but eventually become close enough to it that it becomes a moot point. Am I right? :/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Axetrain posted:

Is there a reason I would want to cede control of which ships are built where?

Convenience? It automatically just build them from the closest shipyard i think and assigns them to that fleet, if you're running several fleets it's a lot less faff.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Axetrain posted:

Switched out the shield capacitor for Aux fire-control. It only allows me to upgrade one group of destroyers but not the other, and still separates them even when in their own fleet.

Yeah, it's not a perfect workaround but if you keep pulling them in and out of fleets and upgrading them it usually unfucks itself eventually. At least it has so far for me. :shrug:

Hopefully they fix this soon.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Axetrain posted:

E: After upgrading, still separated.

What's the fleet design template say? I had some initial weirdness when I didn't make a fleet in the fleet designer, but like manually built some stuff.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What's the fleet design template say? I had some initial weirdness when I didn't make a fleet in the fleet designer, but like manually built some stuff.

:shrug:

Thanks for trying guys but I think it's just a bug ill have to deal with for now.

OwlFancier posted:

Convenience? It automatically just build them from the closest shipyard i think and assigns them to that fleet, if you're running several fleets it's a lot less faff.

Yeah I could see if I could get my templates to work it would be convenient during peacetime. But in a war I'm going to want to queue up ships from multiple different yards.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

I've got an early space age primitive inside my borders. I know most people just exterminate and move on, but it's a 20% arctic world to me and it's got some betharian. What should I do with these dudes, as eventually left alone they will turn into an enclave right? I'm just observing right now for the sweet 8 society research. They are pacifists but also have the resilient trait so killing them would probably be a pain.

uplift them, it only takes 40 months for atomic age and early space age civs and they come auto-vassalized that way

also, you aren't a horrible monster

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Is anyone else finding ship upkeep costs to be way too high? I have 7 fully upgraded planets + stations making over 400 minerals at 2300, and 21k naval power consumes 440 minerals a month just moving around. That seems insanely expensive compared to anything I remember from before 2.0. This is with tradition perks, using robot traits very efficiently on tile outputs, edicts, and everything else I can think of.

I boxed in from this point out so expanding my military is basically my only option, and this seems prohibitively expensive.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 24, 2018

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

I was just trying around with different strategies to get around high alert upkeep. One thing that seemed to work (and was a lot of micro) was to have 2 hull types for every kind of ship: one fully outfitted with current gear, and one empty shell template for peacetime. On one hand, it kept upkeep down. On the other, it deflated my empire strength and made me look like easy prey for other empires (which can work to your advantage) and necessitated having a large stockpile of minerals on hand to upgrade my fleet for combat readiness. I'd have my fleet divided up among my shipyards and upgrade them all simultaneously, then merge them up somewhere.

Stellaris 2.0 is a whole new game. All of the growth curves and resource management is much, much different, and I haven't really run into a situation yet where I have the kind of runaway growth in minerals/energy like before 2.0. It's kinda fun/frustrating to play with, and makes the game more of a challenge, bugs/oddly tuned mechanics aside.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

So corvettes are back to being good again, just had a bunch of them kill a mostly battleship/cruiser fleet that clearly outgunned them with minimum losses. :dance:

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
The border changes are great, but man, the war system and the fleets are over-engineered messes. Completely tedious and obtuse.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Oh yeah, that's the other thing. With the rework to armor, corvette swarms kinda rule again. Especially if you can get lucky and draw the improved hull techs for them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mazz posted:

Is anyone else finding ship upkeep costs to be way too high? I have 7 fully upgraded planets + stations making over 400 minerals at 2300, and 21k naval power consumes 440 minerals a month just moving around. That seems insanely expensive compared to anything I remember from before 2.0. This is with tradition perks, using robot traits very efficiently on tile outputs, edicts, and everything else I can think of.

I boxed in from this point out so expanding my military is basically my only option, and this seems prohibitively expensive.

Way I look at it is that if it's expensive for me, it's expensive for everyone. If they made upkeep negligible it would just mean I'd have to have a much larger fleet since everyone else would have one too.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Gort posted:

Way I look at it is that if it's expensive for me, it's expensive for everyone. If they made upkeep negligible it would just mean I'd have to have a much larger fleet since everyone else would have one too.

Fleet command and/or naval capacity are already good restrictions on this. Right now I can't even max out my fleet capacity and then move those fleets without incurring penalties. I'd get it if I was life seeded, but I have 8 16-22 slot planets right now and in a very workable position other than this crazy upkeep. 450 minerals a month to move 20k in fleet power is loving crazy. I'm not outpacing my neighbors by much here, and I'm definitely not capable of attacking one of the existing FE/MEs with this fleet power.

FWIW I'm fine with high energy upkeep costs, but this is far too much upkeep in minerals to be any fun to me over the long term.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 24, 2018

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Axetrain posted:

Yeah I could see if I could get my templates to work it would be convenient during peacetime. But in a war I'm going to want to queue up ships from multiple different yards.

It does exactly this, as it happens. When you reinforce a fleet in the manager, it will use as many yards as it needs to in order to get that fleet back up to strength as quickly as possible. It's a good feature and you should be using it.

If people who are having problems with the manager are also manually building and merging fleets of different iterations of ships, suddenly a lot of these nonsensical bugs people have been reporting start making sense.

Also, actual legit complaint - I don't think unrestricted warfare shouldn't negate the liberation casus belli. Liberation wars as a specific doctrine should function as a restriction on more peaceful empires, sure, but militarists should be able to impose ideology on another empire without having to swap to specific war doctrine and piss off a faction. As it stand, unrestricted wars just means conquest or humiliation, not actually unrestricted.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 24, 2018

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Guys, I'm in a federation and the raiders have united and are pushing my poo poo in. How do I get these AI jerks to help me out? UI instructions might also be helpful because lol Paradox game.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Prosperity reduces the cost of ships, ans therefore reduces maintenance as it's a percentage of their cost. Always get prosperity.

I think defence platforms could do with lower maintenance, but ships feel reasonably balanced.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

puppets freak me out posted:

Oh yeah, that's the other thing. With the rework to armor, corvette swarms kinda rule again. Especially if you can get lucky and draw the improved hull techs for them.

Everything's come up corvettes and destroyers. They've got amazing disengage chance so you take barely any losses, the evasion is nuts, they're fairly cheap, durable because of the armor, the fleet manager makes replacing them 1 click and lets you run variants easily and the destroyers L slot has ridiculous utility (L lasers absolutely tear through outposts and tier 1 starbases in the early game). Plus the new combat computers are awesome and let you do sort of tactics in battles.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
How the gently caress do I build new ships for a fleet without going through the annoying star port menu? Do I use the fleet customizer thing?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Phiberoptik posted:

How the gently caress do I build new ships for a fleet without going through the annoying star port menu? Do I use the fleet customizer thing?

Yes, 100% of the fleet management is done in the fleet management screen now. It's actually really nice once you get used to it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Mazz posted:

Fleet command and/or naval capacity are already good restrictions on this. Right now I can't even max out my fleet capacity and then move those fleets without incurring penalties. I'd get it if I was life seeded, but I have 8 16-22 slot planets right now and in a very workable position other than this crazy upkeep. 450 minerals a month to move 20k in fleet power is loving crazy. I'm not outpacing my neighbors by much here, and I'm definitely not capable of attacking one of the existing FE/MEs with this fleet power.

FWIW I'm fine with high energy upkeep costs, but this is far too much upkeep in minerals to be any fun to me over the long term.

Naval capacity's and fleet command aren't really hard limits, though. If you made fleet upkeep negligible it would just encourage me to go way over my naval capacity until my upkeep becomes excessive. And I can always hire another admiral and move my fleets together.

Are you just building too many anchorages for your mineral production? I'm not sure why I'm not having issues with upkeep and you are.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Phiberoptik posted:

Yes.

Open the fleet manager
1. New Fleet (if a new one ofc)
2. Hit Add ships to bring up the right side bar
3. add whatever designs you wnat
4. set how many of each ship you want in the fleet
5. Hit the reinforce fleet button to tell shipyards to build ships for this fleet (they'll use whatever minerals you have stockpiled but will not queue additional ships and wait for minerals, so you'll probably have to hit it a few times).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Can you explain that for Federation fleet mechanics? I had to use the star port menu to build a federation ship before I could have a federal fleet at all - is that how it's meant to work?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Haven't been in a Federation yet, so I don't know how that works.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mazz posted:

I think the intent is to keep your military parked in drydock if you aren't using them, and deploying them in war is going to hurt your economy.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I understand all the mechanics, it seems like they boosted mineral upkeep a lot more in 2.0 vs just energy upkeep. I don't really agree with that, but I'd rather not bounce the same thing off 12 people so I'll just wait for a mod or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As a question, how do I see what a ship's disengagement chance is? I understand it's supposed to be better for corvettes (though if they get one shotted it's less likely to be so as I found out against some void clouds :v:) but I don't know where I can see absolute numbers.

E: Fun bug also; if you research a new piece of equipment it automatically "upgrades" your starbases by which I mean it refills all their hitpoints even in combat :v:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 25, 2018

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

...that's a lot of ethics my dude

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
I'm tempted to pick this up while it's on sale on Steam. Three quick questions:

1. I tend to have limited time for gaming except at the weekend. How feasible is it for me to dip for an hour or so in the evening or does this really require lengthy sessions?
2. Having skimmed the thread, it looks like a few of the numbers need some post-patch rebalancing. Based on past experience, is this something that's like to occur swiftly?
3. Any suggestions for a good guide for newbies?

Thanks

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

The admirals not staying with their fleets bug just ended my first 2.0 game. Can't really kill the great khan when his ship retreats and comes back without him. After that the others all just ran over me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Did they change the Enigmatic Fortress event?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just rolled the "blow the gently caress out of it" die roll last time.

EDIT2: gently caress, it's bugged for me too.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 25, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Wait, you can't build a Dyson Sphere around a star system where you have a station?

EDIT: Huh, I guess my Empire can't disassemble a little energy mining station without explicitly being told to do so. Good job guys,

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 25, 2018

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Why is it forcing me to take the long way around? I can't just go from one to the other.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Axetrain posted:

Why is it forcing me to take the long way around? I can't just go from one to the other.

FTL inhibitor in the system you are currently in. Means you can only leave via the same hyperlane you entered from.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Something I find myself wishing for is some kind of fleet tender ship, now that we have the manager it would be trivial to organize and I'd be more than willing to devote some fleet cap to ships that can keep my swarm of corvettes repaired between battles, as they're a bit small for me to bother putting regenerative hull plating on individually.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Axetrain posted:

There's an FTL Inhibitor on the planet. (You can tell by the magnet icon on the right).

Until you take the planet, you have to go out the way you came in.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wiz, with the new maintenance costs any thought of putting in some feature for mothballing ships?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Ah, well now I know!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Wiz, with the new maintenance costs any thought of putting in some feature for mothballing ships?

I think that's what the crew quarters are for, even if it's not a huge reduction.

I think I'm just gonna wait and restart my game when some patches come out to fix all the issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Decided to play a Pacifist game and lucked into a galaxy with a bunch of other pacifist/non-militant empires. I set up a federation with the other pacifist empires thinking it was gonna end up working as some deterrent vs the two militant empires.

Now the federation's constantly starting a galaxy-wide war with the militant empires to change their ideology, but because that wargoal's too expensive all the wars end with Status Quo. Since all members of the federation bordering the militants are pacifist, they have no claims, so the SQ is basically a white peacce, with no long-term losses for either side. And as soon as the truce is up the federation of pacifists is back at it again.