Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i loved the gba fire emblem games and from the 3ds on i have no loving clue what's going on with that franchise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

i loved the gba fire emblem games and from the 3ds on i have no loving clue what's going on with that franchise
its just a response to the current age of thirst that we live in

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tfw playing through an msx game using an untranslated jp guide with images

i thought dragon slayer jr wasn't that tough but it turns out the pc version is such a loving nightmare that the english patch by default comes with quicksave and quickload hotkeys utilizing sram

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

God, imagine finding out your bro’s a goon

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
It's still fire emblem, just with more anime and waifus and petting said waifus.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well, you see, you move units on the map in order to attack things, only sometimes they marry and have kids. this was a mechanic introduced in fire emblem genealogy of the holy war for the super nintendo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Endorph posted:

as someone whos way into the older FE games and thinks the newer ones kinda suck, lol @ that guy

He insists that Veronica and Celica are both terribly written characters and that people only vote for them because they are "horny idiots".

I know nothing about those characters but I'm leaning towards him being melodramatic as usual.

Endorph posted:

well, you see, you move units on the map in order to attack things, only sometimes they marry and have kids. this was a mechanic introduced in fire emblem genealogy of the holy war for the super nintendo.

I understand the appeal of the child mechanic but I really hope it isn't in the next game. They didn't even try to have it make sense in Fates.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

leaning in to the anime really lost me

it's like what happened to shining force

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fire Emblem Was Always Anime

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah, they really leaned into anime recently

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I beat Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight and it was pretty good. Really short considering how big the map wound up feeling. I don't know anything about the rest of the series but I might look into them next. It reminded me of Cave Story, but I think CS ultimately has more meat on its bones.

Did you know that if you beat a boss without taking a single hit you get a unique item with special abilities for each one?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fire emblem 3 contains a scene in which Marth gets offered a ten year old child bride and it is all very wacky, and she is yandere for him and wants to murder him in his sleep if he looks at other girls. fire emblem 4 contains a scene in which a girl flashes her boobs at the main character to prove she isnt twelve. Fire Emblem Was Always Anime.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

leaning in to the anime really lost me

it's like what happened to shining force

Ah yes, this japanese game is too japanese, I feel you, friend.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

homeless snail posted:

its just a response to the current age of thirst that we live in

The age of thirst will never end.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
FE Heroes is gatcha, you pay money in hopes of getting a devastatingly handsome anime boy on your screen

Or girl I guess but those aren’t the ones lighting Twitter on fire

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not liking kozaki's artstyle or the less grounded designs in awakening and fates is a totally fair criticism btw, but just say that instead of words that mean literally nothing

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Ah yes, this japanese game is too japanese, I feel you, friend.

yep the japanese game based on european medievalism is in fact now too japanese to me aesthetically good summary

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chumbler posted:

The age of thirst will never end.
the post apocalypse will be surprisingly unthirsty

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Yakuza because it’s so Japanese I actually learn things about Japanese life and culture from it, 0 is a brilliant historical time culture of 1980s urban Japan that I really appreciate as a work of art

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

the post apocalypse will be surprisingly unthirsty

utterly false

fuckable cockroach girls will inherit the earth

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Really Pants posted:

utterly false

And/or there won't be any water.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
American games: here’s the main character about to die just so we can introduce the sexy elf rogue love interest in a span of 3 minutes

Yakuza 0: what the gently caress you goddamn idiot. Here’s an entire 20 minute intro introducing characters with backstory and traits that exist solely to react to this entirely new playable character that is one thousand times cooler than the radical cool guy you’ve grown so attached to, and this new guy has a loving eyepatch and doesn’t hit a drunk idiot pushing himself onto an employee solely for the purpose of brutally humiliating him into paying for everyone else’s Good Time and maintaining his reputation as the Lord of the Night, all of which is entirely a loving work, by the way, so he can regain his honor and get back into the Yakuza after they sold his brother out to the cops, who goes on to become a player character in Yakuza 4, decades after the game you’re playing

It’s absolutely loving incredible, let me tell you

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
So I'm running through riften and a sabre cat jumps me so i use my new invisibility power to run past it. seconds later fraid woman comes up to say wow! Never thought I'd see another person. Skyrim is so bad it's good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

I beat Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight and it was pretty good. Really short considering how big the map wound up feeling. I don't know anything about the rest of the series but I might look into them next. It reminded me of Cave Story, but I think CS ultimately has more meat on its bones.

I loved it cause it was light on bad indie cutscenes and heavy on action with cool synergistic powerups

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh god Skyrim is so bad.

Let me say this: the idiot racist shithead that is somehow the face of KC:D is an idiot racist shithead. That being said, which I feel like does more good than pretending KCD doesn’t exist because I regularly start with pointing out what a dipshit that guy is, I feel like that game finally realizes the promise Bethesda has made with all their failures of an open world RPG time and time again.

I actually like wandering through Bohemia, and when the game introduces the alchemy mechanics to me, it’s in the back of a monastery surrounded by wounded and dying refugees from my hometown. It’s involved and overwhelming because you have to follow manual steps, but they give you a motivation in line with the character, who is written to be an actually genuine good hearted person trying to do right in the world.

That town the monastery was in? I spent like 10 minutes just walking around because it *felt* big. I really like going around and getting a feel for the areas around each town, because they feel relevant to the quests you undertake, and even better, if you somehow clear out some enemies or come across something before you get the quest, it lets you turn it in right there instead of spawning a gaggle of new enemies inside the cave you were just in ten minutes before.

I really hope developers take lessons from KCD (not the racist/sexist ones) as it does have genuine good ideas in it I’d like to see in more diverse and less controversial games. That said nobody is trying to fill that niche which triggers all sorts of weird pleasure centers in my brain with mechanics.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

homeless snail posted:

yeah, they really leaned into anime recently

im japanese k-mart

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They realized that people grew really attached to their characters and that the series was popular with a broad demographic that included many women and they put 1+2 together and made a romance system that turned the series into a megaphenomenon

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Also they made it not look mega-assy like the DS ones and advertised it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Motto posted:

Also they made it not look mega-assy like the DS ones and advertised it

then they made the gaiden remake, and...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
was Grimes super-popular with gamers before she started doing Twitch streams and tweeting about dark souls?

it's as weird as if everyone in CD suddenly started talking about how great Ringo Deathstarr are. the last time i was this perplexed by a musician having so many fans in one place was when GBS was obsessed with IWABO, but that sort of made sense.

i don't dislike Grimes at all, mind you, i just think it's weird.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The 3DS games literally saved the series so they did something right.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Art Angels was fuckin dope.

I didn't even know she gamed until someone linked a stream that she did last month, her first I think

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Art Angels is her best album, it sounds a lot like Dan Deacon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

al-azad posted:

I think aesthetics matters a lot for modern strategy games because they aren't gonna sell on gameplay alone. There aren't enough people that buy into strategy games just for the tactics because most people suck at them. Some stupid people might act like casual mode ruins Fire Emblem but a lot of people wouldn't be willing to play it without that option.

Really Pants posted:

utterly false

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i wonder how long ubisoft is gonna hold off on having an AssCreed game set in Bavaria where you meet Adam Weishaupt and join and/or fight the literal, actual Illuminati

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

al-azad posted:

that something was marketing

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Awakening rules but it isn't better than say Path of Radiance in either gameplay (where it's much worse) or non-gameplay elements (where it's about the same, or at best slightly better).

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

much like with pokemon i preferred the sprites

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

Awakening rules but it isn't better than say Path of Radiance in either gameplay (where it's much worse) or non-gameplay elements (where it's about the same, or at best slightly better).

I'd disagree with that. I think the presentation of the series improved a lot with Awakening. I bought PoR as a kid but I just got bored with it about halfway through because it wasn't grabbing me. I think the transitions between battles and enemy turn phases helps a lot with the flow of the game.

Of course if you're the kind of person that turn off animations and fast forward through everything it doesn't matter, but I don't think most people do that.

oddium posted:

much like with pokemon i preferred the sprites

I like some of the sprites more but that just comes down to the designs they've gone with rather than the 3d vs. 2d difference.

GBA druids would look cool as hell animated in 3D, but the new designs for dark mages sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

• Locked thread