Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Solitair posted:

Did anyone here see the "You're Getting Old" episode of South Park? I heard that's when the show criticizes itself for being cynical about everything, not unlike what some people ITT said about it. Is that actually true?

yea but then they instantly go back to being cynical and lazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Trey and Parker basically explained their personal philosophy pretty clearly that they "Hate conservatives, but really gently caress hate liberals" which to be fair is kind of where I'm at, but they probably group liberals as the left as a whole.

BTW I'm glad this thread hasn't had a MOS level poo poo storm about Black Panther that seemingly every other semi-comic book related movie/political commentary thread seems to have.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

By “liberal” they mean “not republicans.” They are textbook liberals, and part of that is having a high-school student’s grasp of politics and culture.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Black Panther: an African politician instigates a civil war to seize power from a leftist revolutionary.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Black Panther: an African politician instigates a civil war to seize power from a leftist revolutionary.

I thought the point was that Killmonger’s not a leftist, but someone so steeped in American imperialism that he can see no other way to interact with the world even if he recognises the injustices and pointlessness of it. You know, like one of those folks who advocated blowing up Iraq on humanitarian grounds.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I blame you for this coming up in my Recommended list, HBomb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NHGLQkxBcg

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

So you know how Black Pigeon Speaks was asking Shaun to debate him in the ring one-on-one and such because he made those nasty videos about him? Well he's now publically threatening Shaun with DMCA's and taking his channel down because it's 2018 and people STILL have no idea how the Streisand effect works. Hbomb and others have already said they'll happily host Shaun's videos about BPS if he does succeed in getting them taken down, which of course he will not.

As to how this correlates with BPS's usual stance of being SUPER ANTI CENSORSHIP and so forth, I couldn't tell you

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Justice posted:

So you know how Black Pigeon Speaks was asking Shaun to debate him in the ring one-on-one and such because he made those nasty videos about him? Well he's now publically threatening Shaun with DMCA's and taking his channel down because it's 2018 and people STILL have no idea how the Streisand effect works. Hbomb and others have already said they'll happily host Shaun's videos about BPS if he does succeed in getting them taken down, which of course he will not.

As to how this correlates with BPS's usual stance of being SUPER ANTI CENSORSHIP and so forth, I couldn't tell you

Why use the term "stance" when you really mean "ruse"?

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

MMHMMMMMMMMMmmmMMMMM

(Instant regret)

I would have gone with this frame

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why use the term "stance" when you really mean "ruse"?

Because I don't go over my posts with a fine toothcomb, that should be apparent

FoldableHuman posted:

Ooh, much better than the result of a drunken GIS. The thumb just in shot really caps it off...but can you look smug while in facepaint? I can.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Justice posted:

Because I don't go over my posts with a fine toothcomb, that should be apparent

I meant it as a rhetorical jab at BPS, sorry. :smith:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FoldableHuman posted:

Man the only way I could tell that this wasn't a Doug Walker thumbnail was the fact you aren't wearing a hat.

Kim Justice posted:

No see, anti censorship only if its against me, also japanese smut games and underaged characters being more moderately dressed.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I meant it as a rhetorical jab at BPS, sorry. :smith:

I knew that, don't worry :). You are right, of course - the man's a walking bollocks factory of piss and wind who despite living in Japan probably only eats at McDonald's.

EDIT: How dare you take issue with my view that women destroy civilizations. DEBATE ME IN THE SQUARED CIRCLE FOR THE BELT OR I WILL TAKE YOUR CHANNEL DOWN

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Leal posted:

Man the only way I could tell that this wasn't a Doug Walker thumbnail was the fact you aren't wearing a hat.

Also he isn't centered in the frame

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Does anyone have that "Why do people watch movies?" pic? Asking for a friend

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

I thought the point was that Killmonger’s not a leftist, but someone so steeped in American imperialism that he can see no other way to interact with the world even if he recognises the injustices and pointlessness of it. You know, like one of those folks who advocated blowing up Iraq on humanitarian grounds.

That requires you to pay attention to and think critically about what's going on.

Which a lot of people apparently don't do, judging from the amount of misinterpretations all over.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

apparently I was in the bathroom during the part when the good guy tried to negotiate with the bad guy so maybe that colored my opinion a bit, idk

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Puppy Time posted:

That requires you to pay attention to and think critically about what's going on.

Which a lot of people apparently don't do, judging from the amount of misinterpretations all over.

The appeals to context like this more or less ignore the idea of rhetoric. Yes, in the context of the movie the black revolutionary is an imperialist, but such an equivalency is in itself rhetoric. Once you strip away the paraphernalia of that argument, you get a movie where a deposed monarchist instigates a civil war in order to oust a leftist revolutionary from power. Why exactly is it necessary to denounce global black revolution in 2018, if not for it apparently being simply too radical?

Oddly enough, just last December there was a movie called The Last Jedi about heroes trying to spread violent insurrection, and nobody denounced that movie for glorifying revolution. Yet we see basically the same crowd praise Black Panther, a movie that demonizes revolution.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 24, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

Does anyone have that "Why do people watch movies?" pic? Asking for a friend

Always:

https://imgur.com/gallery/YFsOt

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I blame you for this coming up in my Recommended list, HBomb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NHGLQkxBcg

Who's this snowflake? He takes about Anita as if she's just kicked down his door, hosed his wife and pissed on his dog.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

bessantj posted:

Who's this snowflake? He takes about Anita as if she's just kicked down his door, hosed his wife and pissed on his dog.

I lost interest in this video after maybe a minute, long enough to hear that this is about Sarkeesian daring to get an invite to a game studio and have a good experience talking to those working there? And this apparently lead to an online shitstorm that this is the first I'm hearing about? :shrug: His voice is really obnoxious, I wasn't going to suffer through any more of it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I lost interest in this video after maybe a minute, long enough to hear that this is about Sarkeesian daring to get an invite to a game studio and have a good experience talking to those working there? And this apparently lead to an online shitstorm that this is the first I'm hearing about? :shrug: His voice is really obnoxious, I wasn't going to suffer through any more of it.

It was a whole video of "I don't like Anita and other people don't like her and this non white guy had opinions about white privilege :qq: :qq: it shouldn't be allowed. IT SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED!" Get this guy a safe space stat.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Manveer Heir. Yeah. How dare he talk about white privilege! He's racist towards white people!!!!

Speaking of which, he was on Waypoint a while back talking about Mass Effect Andromedia woes, and the culture surrounding the development of that game.

It's telling that when he brought up the idea of colonialism most of the higher-ups, which he said were all white men, they kinda didn't know what the gently caress.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The appeals to context like this more or less ignore the idea of rhetoric. Yes, in the context of the movie the black revolutionary is an imperialist, but such an equivalency is in itself rhetoric. Once you strip away the paraphernalia of that argument, you get a movie where a deposed monarchist instigates a civil war in order to oust a leftist revolutionary from power. Why exactly is it necessary to denounce global black revolution in 2018, if not for it apparently being simply too radical?

Oddly enough, just last December there was a movie called The Last Jedi about heroes trying to spread violent insurrection, and nobody denounced that movie for glorifying revolution. Yet we see basically the same crowd praise Black Panther, a movie that demonizes revolution.

gently caress off you worthless twat.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Could it be that the project of making children’s power fantasies suitably grown-up by slathering on a heaping helping of realpolitik is probably doomed because the idea of an escapist power fantasy is fundamentally incompatible with the kind of “dark” seriousness that they keep grafting onto it?

I feel like the one thing nobody ever took away from Watchmen or Swamp Thing was that taking characters like that completely seriously hangs a lantern on how loving ridiculous and juvenile the idea of a superhero is. They’re better off being period pieces or earnest cornball indulgences like the Donner Superman. There’s no shame in cornball indulgence. God knows it might give kids some optimism for once instead of teaching them that gravitas is Captain America weeping as he beats his best friend bloody and begs him to give up his mad political agenda.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Watchmen, the super serious comic where a dwarf crime boss is drowned in a toilet.

Also people don't react well to actual cornball indulgence, like stained glass Jesus.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the actual black panther comics have a supervillain whose plan is to use market forces to institute libertarian capitalism in wakanda and also he has a giant death machine in case it doesnt work

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

No need to thank me :)

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Thaaaanksss

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 25, 2018

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Is this one of those "self-owns" that all the kids are talking about?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

FoldableHuman posted:

This is shitpoosting in order to combat a potential BOTL/Black Panther-related Extinction Level Event

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

This is shitpoosting in order to combat a potential BOTL/Black Panther-related Extinction Level Event

A worthy cause if ever there were one.

So the first fifty Shades video isn't going to be done for the end of the month. I totally understand how game developers feel when they're at the point where it's like "okay, I *could* technically get this out the door on time, but it would be, at best, three quarters of an rear end, and I really want to release a whole-rear end tier product."

So for those of you who are anxious, give it a few more weeks (I'm losing next week to an out of town job).

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

FoldableHuman posted:

don't do that you'll go blind and get hair on you palms and also you're just wasting your Alpha Man Essence away into a tissue.

#vocel

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s a Fifty Shades video game? I know I just got that wrong, but I’m imagining like a 90s fmv scenario or one of those cdi point-and-click interactive movies where there’s a boob sometimes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FoldableHuman posted:

A worthy cause if ever there were one.

So the first fifty Shades video isn't going to be done for the end of the month. I totally understand how game developers feel when they're at the point where it's like "okay, I *could* technically get this out the door on time, but it would be, at best, three quarters of an rear end, and I really want to release a whole-rear end tier product."

So for those of you who are anxious, give it a few more weeks (I'm losing next week to an out of town job).

Jenny Nicholson's got you covered until then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILZ7Oy3gM5U

business hammocks posted:

There’s a Fifty Shades video game? I know I just got that wrong, but I’m imagining like a 90s fmv scenario or one of those cdi point-and-click interactive movies where there’s a boob sometimes.

It'd be like Night Trap, but actually scary. Love it.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

fine toothcomb

Tooth-BRUSH!!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

A tooth comb, also called floss

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A tooth comb, also known as a shrimp.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

RevolverDivider posted:

gently caress off you worthless twat.

Nah, I think he's right. The unchallenged prevalence of the CIA in the narrative is a huge political "yikes", IMO. It's an ideologically...challenging movie, especially in light of how capital I important it is from a representation standpoint. Someone posted this in CD but I agree with Kimberle Crenshaw's take

quote:

Like remembering a drunken night thru a hangover haze, I kept wondering how I’d come to dance on the table for the CIA? The ones that helped destroy the dream of African liberation, that had a hand in the assassination of Lumumba, staged a coup against Nkrumah, tipped off the arrest that imprisoned Mandela, installed the vicious, nation-destroying Mobutu? Why not throw in the FBI and COINTELPRO as kindly white characters? Was this meant to be ironic? What meaning do we assign the fact that the possibility of a real life Wakanda in the resource-rich Congo and Ghana, and the promise of a Pan African quest for collective self-determination were precisely the threats that the CIA worked to suppress? The consequences of Meddling and proxy wars continue to this day, with millions of lives lost. Whether intentional or not, the West’s justification for neutralizing these threats was resurrected and written all over the character of Killmonger, updated of course with the urban swag of the rabid Black American whose tragic abandonment could only be resolved by being put down. Black power has always been framed by its critics as dangerous, irrational, bloodthirsty revenge. Today’s identity extremists were yesterday’s Panthers and Pan Africanists. How did that libelous trope come to be the central tension in this celebration of Black superheroes?

I guess the conundrum for me is coming to terms with how it is that in a fantasy world where anything is possible it was not possible to paint from outside the neo-colonial gaze. And yes, it’s Disney, and it’s capitalism and it’s entertainment but is the price to be paid for big budget representation of black bodies the vilification of black liberation politics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I feel like too many people see Killmonger and just stop at "He's a black guy who points out that there are oppressed people and it is bad to ignore that" rather than noticing the rest of the story, which is "He is also trained by the CIA and has decided that if he uses their methods, it'll be fine because his is a Righteous Cause," and also "He'll just murder anyone if he feels like it because he's actually a terrible human being."

ETA:

Kim Justice posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to derails.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 25, 2018

• Locked thread