Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

priznat posted:

I recall the Rdio app being good, RIP those guys.

I miss that service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The 4th Room game is out. WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME?

http://www.fireproofgames.com/games/theroomoldsins

These games are loving fantastic. Basically Myst meets Lovecraft. I highly recommend ALL of the The Room games.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is there an app (or native way in IOS or OSX) for me to take still iphone pics and just have kind of a time lapse looping animated gif thing?

Every app I try is free but you can't do poo poo without paying before I can even tell how well it will work, etc...

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Feenix posted:

Is there an app (or native way in IOS or OSX) for me to take still iphone pics and just have kind of a time lapse looping animated gif thing?

Every app I try is free but you can't do poo poo without paying before I can even tell how well it will work, etc...

Hyperlapse?

I mean it spits out a video but does everything what you described.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Hello Spaceman posted:

Hyperlapse?

I mean it spits out a video but does everything what you described.

Unless I’m missing something, that won’t work. The pictures are already taken and in my photo album.

Thanks, though...

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Clips should do it iirc. It's essentially Apple's version of Stories.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Feenix posted:

Unless I’m missing something, that won’t work. The pictures are already taken and in my photo album.

Thanks, though...

Oh, I misunderstood.

In that case, there's nothing I've got hands-on experience with but this looks like it does what you might want and is highly rated: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imgplay-gif-maker/id989843523?mt=8

hth :shobon:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I mostly use lively to convert my live pics to animated gifs or movies. There’s also Google’s free Motion Stills, but it puts a watermark in the corner of the images.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pretty sure you can turn that off

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

My kid loves color by number apps, but they're all riddled with ads that require insanely expensive subscriptions to make usable.

Does anyone know of a color by number/pixel art app that doesn't have ads and is a one-time purchase of <= $10?

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I just switched over to iPhone from Android. On Android I used the Frost browser, which would keep a password protected vault of bookmarks and tabs and lock up the vault if you clicked out of the app. Basically a private browser with an extra vault feature. Anything along the lines out there for the iPhone?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Grifter posted:

I just switched over to iPhone from Android. On Android I used the Frost browser, which would keep a password protected vault of bookmarks and tabs and lock up the vault if you clicked out of the app. Basically a private browser with an extra vault feature. Anything along the lines out there for the iPhone?

1Password.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Dolphin, Mercury, and iCab all last I checked had a passcode protection feature, and could store passwords. One of them might work for you.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I have meetings a lot these days and I basic manage reminding myself about them by leaving alarms through Reminders set 15 minutes before.

It seems long to have reminders titled “X Meeting with Y Person @ Z PM”

Is there an app that lets me set reminders for events fifteen minutes or so before and then send maybe another reminder every five minutes up until it actually starts?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

LODGE NORTH posted:

I have meetings a lot these days and I basic manage reminding myself about them by leaving alarms through Reminders set 15 minutes before.

It seems long to have reminders titled “X Meeting with Y Person @ Z PM”

Is there an app that lets me set reminders for events fifteen minutes or so before and then send maybe another reminder every five minutes up until it actually starts?

Fantastical seems to do that without me asking (reminds me of my calendar events at 15 mins before, 10 mins and 5.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OGB posted:

Fantastical seems to do that without me asking (reminds me of my calendar events at 15 mins before, 10 mins and 5.)

It does, but only if the meeting organizer set an alarm in the invite. At least for meetings from Outlook/Exchange.

One thing I really like about Fantastical is even if you don’t RSVP it still kicks off the reminder. I’m not always working email, so it’s nice to be reminded of a meeting I really should attend if I haven’t had a chance to see the invite.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I just started using a VNC/RDP client called “Jump” and it’s great. It’s far smoother and performs better than MS default client for RDP. I don’t know about smaller size screens, but it looks great on a 12.9” iPad Pro. Controlling the mouse is easy and intuitive, and it has little hideaway bar for special keyboard keys.

It’s not free, but personally I think it’s a steal at $15.

With a combination of different apps (mostly the MS stuff), I’ve been able to move a lot of my workflow to the iPad. Which is nice since it means I don’t have to lug around the laptop everywhere.

My next step is to migrate my CPU bound stuff to a Digital Ocean or AWS instance so I can do that from the iPad if needed. There’s a few other tools that would be nice as well. Anyone have any recommendations for an app to view pcap files?

It’s exciting living in The Future

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Is there a way to convert a list from Reminders to plain text? Been using the stock app to build a list of texts for a research project and it’d be rather handy to have it available as something I can copy into an email.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

andelazo posted:

Is there a way to convert a list from Reminders to plain text? Been using the stock app to build a list of texts for a research project and it’d be rather handy to have it available as something I can copy into an email.

You can just drag them out of the reminders app on a Mac but I don’t know if there’s any way using just an iPhone. Check out ifttt?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
So say you rip an audiobook from a library. If you want to get it on your phone for listening but don’t want to:
1. Use iTunes to put it into iBooks or Audible. Or,
2. Serve it as a podcast to a podcast app.

What are your options? I’ve tried airdropping the book to Files but it seems like only one app (bookmobile) lets you copy from Files to the app for listening.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

tuyop posted:

So say you rip an audiobook from a library. If you want to get it on your phone for listening but don’t want to:

What are your options? I’ve tried airdropping the book to Files but it seems like only one app (bookmobile) lets you copy from Files to the app for listening.

I don't do audiobooks but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them supported listening to audiobooks stored in a cloud service (dropbox, google drive, iCloud, etc). Only one lets you copy locally from a cloud service?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've used all sorts of janky poo poo for audiobooks and it's really one of those cases of biting the bullet and using iTunes.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Just change the file name extension from .m4b to .m4a and play it like a song?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

tuyop posted:

Use Libby if your library uses Overdrive.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 18, 2019

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

"Silly" isn't the word I was thinking

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

How can I get into the exclusive 0% chat room?

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 18, 2019

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

astral posted:

I don't do audiobooks but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them supported listening to audiobooks stored in a cloud service (dropbox, google drive, iCloud, etc). Only one lets you copy locally from a cloud service?

Only one I could find, yeah.

Ojjeorago posted:

Use Libby if your library uses Overdrive.

The problem is that my friend wants ones that are only on CD, she uses overdrive for the digital audiobooks all the time (and is somehow happy with it). I don’t know how to describe the series of alternatives and solutions that I’ve tried and have been found wanting. The transfer from computer to iCloud Drive to Bookmobile seems to be the best option in this case, though I think I’ll just get her hosting a podcast using Justcast and using Overcast for listening because Overcast is way better than Bookmobile and the workflow won’t eat into iCloud storage.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 16, 2018

astral
Apr 26, 2004

McFunkerson posted:

I recently launched a new app called "Battery Chattery" that I thought I'd share with you fine ladies and gentlegoons.

It seems against the spirit of it to have a room for 100%.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

McFunkerson posted:

Ahh, but you were thinking about it.

I can not confirm or deny the presence of any such exclusive rooms that one may or may not be able to get into.

I decided to download it but when it tries to put me in the charging chat room the game hard crashes. iPhone 7plus, iOS 11.2.5.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Battery Chattery chat: I can type but not actually send/enter the text. Charging room.

[Ed] nm have to pick a name.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

tuyop posted:

I use Bound. Not free but it works.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone using Outlook having authentication problems with gmail accounts recently? Mine keeps prompting to re-authenticate, which I do successfully, but then it will eventually prompt again at some point in the future.

Just trying to figure out if I'm lucky or Microsoft/Google broke something.

EDIT: Well, Outlook in-app support got back to me super quick, apparently this is a known issue that they're trying to figure out.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 19, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

McFunkerson posted:

I recently launched a new app called "Battery Chattery" that I thought I'd share with you fine ladies and gentlegoons.

The app was inspired by a conversation I had with some co-workers when we discovered the “Die With Me” app. After getting past the “Why dies this app exist” comments we had an impromptu brain storming session.
The outcome of that conversation was a battery level based chat app where there would be 101 chat rooms, one for each percentage of battery power a user could have, and an extra room for devices on a charger. Users would be placed in a room (mostly) outside of their control and would bounce from room to room as their battery power ticked down participating in a series of random conversations with strangers.

While developing the app I went ahead and took care of some of the issues I saw users of “Die with Me” complain about. Namely, chats are separated by language, abusive behavior can be reported, and the app is functional no matter what state your phone battery is in.

The app is free, so check it out if it strikes your fancy. Feedback is appreciated and encouraged, even if the feedback is “Boy what a silly idea.”

Fair warning, it's only been live a couple of days, and while I've had positive feedback so far, the chatrooms are a little slow right now. I'm working on gaining a larger user base to take care of that problem.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battery-chattery/id1338970850?mt=8

Funny little app. I like the spirit of it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone using Outlook having authentication problems with gmail accounts recently? Mine keeps prompting to re-authenticate, which I do successfully, but then it will eventually prompt again at some point in the future.

EDIT: Well, Outlook in-app support got back to me super quick, apparently this is a known issue that they're trying to figure out.
Yeah last couple of days been experiencing this issue. It seems to have cleared up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just tried it and found a bunch of deleted messages for my %age (35). Curious as to what the spammers are already doing to try ruin things.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Maneki Neko posted:

I had the exact same thing happen to me, so I removed my account and re-added it. Haven't gotten that message since.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

McFunkerson posted:

[...]

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battery-chattery/id1338970850?mt=8

German translation for the save dialog in settings is wrong. Should be “Speichern”, right now it‘s the word saving as in saving money, not saving as in files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Does anyone have experience with Jump Desktop? How does it compare to the Microsoft RDP app? I’m going to need to be connecting to my PC at home more often and RDP works fine for now but I’m not sure what else Jump may offer.