Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
the 3 binds: bologna, ham, and cream cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

HeartNotes3 posted:

So I'm level 70 but my team is getting rolled by the Dryad once those binds come off. How do I keep her all tied up and bound consistently?

Murder her before she becomes unbound!

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Jimmy Hats posted:

Murder her before she becomes unbound!

The correct solution. Violence is always the answer.

Anyway, open the fight with panic, do lots of damage, once panic ends, use chain blast or whatever binds you have and destroy her.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, the correct word is "foreverially".

Hivac posted:

the 3 binds: bologna, ham, and cream cheese

lmao

Content: Still very slowly working through V. I really do appreciate that the voices and portraits aren't gender-locked in any way.

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013
Alright, here's some more info on my team. I've never had to use Chain Blast up till this point so I'm not sure how to set that up/how to build around it.

I have a Barrage Brawler Pugilist specialized around One-Two Punch and Blood Wrath, a Deathbringer Harbinger with a fairly even point spread across all skills, a Blade Dancer Masurao mostly getting by on Haze Slash and Swallow Soar/Armor Pierce, a Flying Falcon Rover that usually uses Aerial Talons/Million Arrows/Power Shot, and a Merciful Healer Botanist with maxed Revive and Freeing Herb and a little bit in Toxic/Dark Smoke.

I also have a level 59 Dragoon and level 64 Omnimancer in reserve but they're not fully leveled just yet.

I also appreciate voices and portraits aren't gender-locked, especially since on at least one member, I picked the wrong portrait.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

HeartNotes3 posted:

Alright, here's some more info on my team. I've never had to use Chain Blast up till this point so I'm not sure how to set that up/how to build around it.

I have a Barrage Brawler Pugilist specialized around One-Two Punch and Blood Wrath, a Deathbringer Harbinger with a fairly even point spread across all skills, a Blade Dancer Masurao mostly getting by on Haze Slash and Swallow Soar/Armor Pierce, a Flying Falcon Rover that usually uses Aerial Talons/Million Arrows/Power Shot, and a Merciful Healer Botanist with maxed Revive and Freeing Herb and a little bit in Toxic/Dark Smoke.

I also have a level 59 Dragoon and level 64 Omnimancer in reserve but they're not fully leveled just yet.

I also appreciate voices and portraits aren't gender-locked, especially since on at least one member, I picked the wrong portrait.

The only one that can use chainblast is your omnimancer, since it's a celestrian union skill.

So here is my recommendation:

Make your team Barrage Pugalist, Deathbringer, Cannon bearer dragoon, Rover, and Omnimancer

Get your barrage pugalist overexertion and leading blow. And max out leading blow, corkscrew, and your three bind skills. If you don't have enough SP, just max out overexertion and level up the other skills to five, then max out the binds and leading blow.

For your death bringer max out chaos reap and frigid reap, and black blade, miasma armor and auto miasma. Also put points into the cardio race skill. Get whatever ailment skill you want if you have spare SP.

Either your pugalist or your harbinger (or your cannon dragoon) should get black mist. (Union skill)

For your dragoon put them up front and give them prep artillery and buster cannon - and that's it because that's all they will be doing.

The omnimancer should get chain blast (level 20 union skill) all INT boosting race skills, max out fire ball and quick chant + spread chant. If you have spare SP you can get reserve magic, and any physical skill. Any one will do, except windstorm. Don't use that.

You don't need to level up anyone.

Your rover is fine.

Your strategy:

Your death bringer should activate miasma armor at the start of battle automatically. Have them use chaos reap to panic dryad. Use black mist on this turn. Do not use the omnimancer in the union skill, just use the other 4.

Your pugalist should spend these turns casting overexertion on your harbinger, your dragoon, and your omnimancer. And repeat this process while panic is in effect.

Your dragoon while prep artillery + buster cannon. Nothing else mattets.

Once panic wears off, the harbinger can switch to whatever ailment you please (poison or curse or paralysis or items). Your omnimancer should use the chain blast union. Your pugalist should cast overexertion on themselves.

Then the pugalist should spam lead blow.

For your omnimancer, use spread chant fire ball and spread chant physical skill if you have reserve magic and quicl chant. And amplifier! You can cast amplifier on your harbinger, cannon dragoon and omnimancer to boost the damage.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Oh and have your rover use sky dive on turn 1. And Jenetta should use panic howl. To make sure dryad gets panicked. Then she can use target arrow or whatever you want.

You can have her doggy heal overexertion damage.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 29, 2018

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

vOv posted:

lmao

Content: Still very slowly working through V. I really do appreciate that the voices and portraits aren't gender-locked in any way.

I seem to recall that in an interview for one of the earlier games, someone from the development team said something along the lines of "we design each class's portrait set with the idea of two of them being male and two being female, but in the end it's up to the player's interpretation", so it's consistent with a design philosophy that they've had throughout the series.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
So I finally picked up V and I'm rolling through the second stratum without too much difficulty. I get to unlock the specializations soon, right? I feel like I'm out of things to spend points on at level 20. I'm using Fencer-Pugilist-Harbinger / Hawk Rover-Shaman and everybody has their job and does it really well. We're a little fragile but now that I have Hygeia's Bowl on the Shaman, I just don't die.

The one thing I can't really figure out is where I'm supposed to be getting Ingots. What makes a weapon recyclable? I don't think I've ever clicked on Recycle and had it show me anything, even things I had upgraded previously.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
If your weapon is fully upgraded (+5), you'll be able to recycle it for ingots. FOE and boss weapons will get you more higher quality ingots.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Then am I missing another source of ingots? I've only had a couple as quest rewards, I think, and maybe the first mission?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Ingots come from three sources: rewards for certain quests, treasure chests, and as rewards for reporting certain amounts of maps/the Monstrous Codex/the Item Compendium to Ramus.

Scraps only come from recycling.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh yeah, once you get 10 scraps from recycling, they'll get converted into ingots. You'll get more scraps if the weapon recycled was from a later stratum.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

In general, it's better to save ingots for boss weapons or really hard-to-get FOE/conditional drops, and use extra copies of the materials to upgrade regular weapons instead. If you really need ingots for something right now, you can use your excess materials to make some cheap +5 weapons just to recycle them.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Thuryl posted:

In general, it's better to save ingots for boss weapons or really hard-to-get FOE/conditional drops, and use extra copies of the materials to upgrade regular weapons instead. If you really need ingots for something right now, you can use your excess materials to make some cheap +5 weapons just to recycle them.

Wait. Does that mean I don’t need an ingot to upgrade a weapon? I thought I need one plus the original materials.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

OzFactor posted:

Wait. Does that mean I don’t need an ingot to upgrade a weapon? I thought I need one plus the original materials.

No, you can either upgrade with materials or an ingot. The ingot is if you don't have the materials, so it's best spent on FOEs and bosses since they can't be farmed as easily as random encounters.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Well. I just upgraded all my weapons, that's nice. :v:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
All right, I’m at the third stratum and there are just so many options for which way to take the masteries. I have lots of questions but I think I’ll just start with this one:

I really like the idea of the phantom duelist but I’m wondering if it really works. I played around with it a bit and it seemed to work, but also seemed to be pretty TP heavy with always needing to Predict or use the aggro stab that I forget what it’s called. And I’m assuming there’s no point in even trying the no armor thing unless you put ten points into it, right? It did seem to handle itself fine just playing around (I did put ten points into no armor) but I’m sort of concerned about the ability to dodge tank against FOEs and bosses. They probably use lots of unevadable attacks, especially binds and ailments which I’m imagining would tear a phantom duelist apart.

So does anyone actually use one? Has anyone tried a different race for one, likely something with a bigger TP pool?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

OzFactor posted:

All right, I’m at the third stratum and there are just so many options for which way to take the masteries. I have lots of questions but I think I’ll just start with this one:

I really like the idea of the phantom duelist but I’m wondering if it really works. I played around with it a bit and it seemed to work, but also seemed to be pretty TP heavy with always needing to Predict or use the aggro stab that I forget what it’s called. And I’m assuming there’s no point in even trying the no armor thing unless you put ten points into it, right? It did seem to handle itself fine just playing around (I did put ten points into no armor) but I’m sort of concerned about the ability to dodge tank against FOEs and bosses. They probably use lots of unevadable attacks, especially binds and ailments which I’m imagining would tear a phantom duelist apart.

So does anyone actually use one? Has anyone tried a different race for one, likely something with a bigger TP pool?

Therians are numerically better than Earthlain for both Fencer specializations. Therians have a higher dodge score ((AGI * 2) + LUC) than Earthlain at basically all levels, and STR obviously matters more than VIT or LUC for Chain Fencers.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

OzFactor posted:

I'm on my second run with a dodge Fecner, still trying to figure the class/mastery out. In my first run with a Phantom Duelist I had a party that way not all that well build for them but it still worked out somehow until the 5th stratum boss.
However I have never used another race - there are three reasons I really like Earthlains as dodgers:

1. high LUC
Not only will you be less likely to suffer from leg binds, blind, sleep and panic (things that negate evasion altogether) you can also use Optic Thrust reliably.
If combined with Lightweight and maybe even Phantom Swords should you have the SP blindness will reduce the enemy's hit rate to almost nothing. Greatly helping not only your dodge Fencer but more importantly the rest of your party.
While it is expensive you will often only use it once. In boss fights it buys you a few turns to take a relative breather, in random encounters it will take out key enemies that can not be defeated that fast.
However you need a party able to hit hard and hit fast but I think that's what every dodge Fencer wants.

2. good defensive stats
Even a naked Earthlain has the HP and VIT to take a physical hit occasionally.
You will fail to dodge every once in a while - but with Ray of Light and the modifier it gives to the damage you take an Earthlain will only get hurt a little bit as long as you dodged a few times during this fight. Although I let it sit at 5 for a while because dodge Fencer needs so many skill points.
Also more max HP gives you some more passive aggro which seems to be somewhat strong in EOV (evidenced by people saying and showing that their low HP Impact Pugilists almost never get attacked).

3. Tri-Shield
Dodge Fencer has some real trouble in dealing with party wide stuff once blind falls off (or if it can't be inflicted in the first place). Wind Curtain and Divine Gust cost a ton of TP and the later one is still not reliable and needs 9 skill points to even start learning it.
But Tri-Shield can help. Not in every fight, not against every attack but you can throw it out occassionally if needed.
Eventually you might be able to learn Dodge Boon but again: skill points are premium in a dodge Fencer. The real boon of Tri-Shield is that it only needs three people. After the first stratum (where I make heavy use of Mana Heal for TP management) I usually save up Union "in case I need it". But since Tri-Shield leaves two party members untouched you can use it and still have a Celestrian with Chain Blast and a Brouni with Hygieia's Bowl ready should something bad happen.

I'm still by no means an expert with the class since it's pretty hard to figure out how to effectively lower your failing potential.
During exploration TP costs can be an issue since Optic Thrust 10 costs 14TP but with enough Pancakes and Honey Yogurt you can easily recover. And a boss fight should not go on for too long either way - dodging is very risky so the rest of your party needs to be able to shorten the fight.
And should you want to try a Therian Dodge Fencer with Predict, Wind Curtain and Divine Gust you would probably need to know when to use which skill. I'm not sure if it would be that fun in a first run when you don't really know what enemies are able to do.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Thanks for the suggestions! I had thought going into it that it would sort of function on its own, but like almost everything else it's really something that needs a party built around it, and when it all comes down to it, I'm not sure I want to take up a front-line spot with someone who isn't directly contributing damage. I'm not sure if it's because I'm playing on the regular/easy difficulty (which I also did with IV), but so far the game feels like it's rewarding offense a bit more than previous games. My Pugilist and my Harbinger just absolutely wreck everything, so just replacing the Fencer with a Necromancer in the back and letting some Wraiths take the few hits that get through seems to be working just fine.

Since resting everyone and heading into the third stratum, I've dropped all the field race skills like Animal Care. I think I still have Gathering Skill on one of them for the rarer gathers, but I feel like there was a lot less of those kind of random adventures and things in the second stratum compared to the first. Am I going to miss anything important by not keeping those on? Or is my feeling that there's going to be less and less of them correct?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

OzFactor posted:

Or is my feeling that there's going to be less and less of them correct?

There will be less events.
I'm not sure if Animal Care ever comes up again after you got a cow in the second stratum.
Hunting is still useful from time to time - if only for the XP since meat is rather worthless at this point in the game.
And Foraging is great to get Forest Wheat for Pancakes.

There is one event in the third stratum that plays out very, very differently if you don't have Sense Mana.

There are special ingredients in the third stratum - one from fishing, one from foraging. Having them should prompt Ramus to give you one recipe each.
Both of these recipes are important for a quest way, way later. But that quest might stump you if you never got ingredients in the third stratum.

But beyond that there should not be anything actually important to miss, just events playing out slightly differently.
Personally, I still like the stat boosting passives even if it's only one stat. They scale with level (3 points on level 1-12, 10 points on level 99 and stuff in between) so I feel they are worth it.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
All right, thanks, I'll hold off on them at least for a while as points are at a premium.

I'm still thinking about my last two spots. My Barrage Brawler and Deathbringer Harbinger are, as I said earlier, pretty potent offensive weapons by themselves, and I have a Divine Herald Shaman in the back for solid buffs and actually pretty decent healing. But I keep rotating the other two spots depending on the situation, which, I guess, is fine. Two mechanical questions:

Do Rover skills using the Hawk (Flying Falcon) use the Hawk's LUC for binds and ailments? Specifically Aerial Talons and Feather Storm. I'm wondering if a Brouni Rover is a good idea: Feather Storm to power the Deathbringer's Frigid Reap and spamming Aerial Talons on everything else. But luck would be a problem if they don't use the Hawk's LUC.

I'm a bit confused as to how the Elemancer Warlock's TP skills are supposed to work. If I use Mana Flow and Abating Chant and then one of the big spells, is the TP restore from Mana Flow based on the original TP cost or the Abating-reduced cost? That'd be quite a lot of points to build toward if it doesn't work like I want it to.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

OzFactor posted:

Do Rover skills using the Hawk (Flying Falcon) use the Hawk's LUC for binds and ailments? Specifically Aerial Talons and Feather Storm. I'm wondering if a Brouni Rover is a good idea: Feather Storm to power the Deathbringer's Frigid Reap and spamming Aerial Talons on everything else. But luck would be a problem if they don't use the Hawk's LUC.

I think they do use the Hawk's LUC stat if it's the hawk's attack hitting. Brouni Rovers are fine if you need brouni limits.

OzFactor posted:

I'm a bit confused as to how the Elemancer Warlock's TP skills are supposed to work. If I use Mana Flow and Abating Chant and then one of the big spells, is the TP restore from Mana Flow based on the original TP cost or the Abating-reduced cost? That'd be quite a lot of points to build toward if it doesn't work like I want it to.

Should be Abating Reduced cost. Do you have any other magic damage dealer on the team for an Elemancer? If not, it's usual to use an Omnimancer instead since they don't need support to proc common magic, or whatever it was called.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
What would people consider their favorite and least-favorite bosses from the series?

I've personally always had a soft spot for Narmer in EO3, as my first EO boss ever, and it still has one of the more interesting map gimmicks. Amalgolem in EO5 was also pretty solid; once I figured out the gimmick it felt busy, but not totally overwhelming like some boss fights can get.

On the flipside, I was definitely not a fan of Scylla in EO2U, mostly because of how strange the pre-fight minigame was, combined with the general pattern-heavy have-a-protector setup of 2U's bosses. I also didn't like the Cradle Guardian of EO4, despite liking the dungeon, on account of my party being 5/6ths physical damage and taking forever to finally win.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is the EO3 hack being updated?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Handgun Phonics posted:

What would people consider their favorite and least-favorite bosses from the series?

Crystal Dragon is definitely my least favorite although that could likely be because EO5 was the last one I played. I'm not generally a fan of subtle boss gimmicks that require losing repeatedly to figure out.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Tired Moritz posted:

Is the EO3 hack being updated?

Yup.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

No, but someone else is working on an EO3 hack. They released an alpha, though I don't have a link.

EDIT: Oh, never mind. Ragnar just posted it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Handgun Phonics posted:

favorite: thunder dragon from eo4, thank you for being the weakest level cap raising boss ever

least favorite: lich from eo5, i hate how it respawns adds every single time it switches phases, which it does when its adds die

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Handgun Phonics posted:

Favorite: Amalgolem in EO5 is basically EO2U's boss design done right. Add management is the name of the game here, but it's merely one strategy you can pursue instead of them bringing the fight to a screeching halt. And the way the adds interact with the actual boss means that no damage is actually lost by focusing on them. Instead, they amplify the damage you deal to part of the boss which in turn makes things easier for you. EO2U basically went "kill these guys or die horribly." And while the boss has a scripted "kill move", it's not powerful enough to always be a kill, and you can use several methods to defend against it.

Least favorite: Abyssal God and Ur-Devil. gently caress those guys. EO2U Scylla gets an honorable mention for being the pinnacle of poo poo of the main game bosses. Ridiculously bulky, summons adds constantly that waste your time, resources, and most importantly, damage. Also don't know her script? Sucks to be you!

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 25, 2018

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Favorite's probably EO2U Juggernaut, honestly. I like the Berserk Roar gimmick more than I should.

Least favorite is EO2U Ur-Child, and Ur-Devil by extension. Ugh.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My favorite boss is definitely Warped Savior because I think it's the only really good ultimate boss in the series, and the only one I was able to beat purely on my own abilities (as opposed to reading strategies) so the rush I got from beating it was the best.

Least favorite would be Abyssal God but that's kinda a cheap answer cause it's so objectively terrible, so I'll go with EOU2's Great Dragon.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah, both Warped Savoir and Heavenbringer are super fun, but EO4 is just great in general.

Least favourite is Ant Queen. I never feel like I'm all that strong facing her, the fight sucks, Duster especially, the whole ant colony thing is really annoying and it comes way too soon after Cernunos. Just an UGH boss, no matter what.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

I think I liked Fallen One a little bit more than Warped Saviour, but I'd probably feel differently if my party composition hadn't been basically perfect for dealing with FO and kinda suboptimal for dealing with WS (it was a link party with a lot of binds).

For least favourite... I might actually dislike EO3's Elder Dragon more than Abyssal God. At least an anti-Abyssal-God party can also walk all over every other FOE and boss, but Elder Dragon requires you to use a strategy that's mostly useless for the rest of the game, and in the third version of the fight two of your three NPC allies are mostly dead weight.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Is it good

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.

Crosspeice posted:

Yeah, both Warped Savoir and Heavenbringer are super fun, but EO4 is just great in general.

Least favourite is Ant Queen. I never feel like I'm all that strong facing her, the fight sucks, Duster especially, the whole ant colony thing is really annoying and it comes way too soon after Cernunos. Just an UGH boss, no matter what.

I'd have to say Heavenbringer was probably my favorite, but my opinion might be slightly skewed since EO4 is my favorite of the series and I've yet to play EO5 or challenge any of the superbosses from any of the other games besides EO2U (which I haven't even beaten yet). It probably just felt momentous to me 'cause that's pretty much the only EO final boss I beat on my own. Besides that, I also enjoyed the fight against Artelinde and Wilhelm in EO2U, it's interesting seeing better versions of your own skills used against you, plus the music is pretty dramatic when it's not being interrupted by NO MORE GAMES

Ant Queen is also my least favorite because she is an ant and I hate ants :v For a more serious answer, the Storm Emperor in EO2U made my life a living nightmare for like the 30+ times it beat me. The other dragons after it didn't give me nearly as much trouble, so I can't say why this one in particular ran me into the ground.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

I made it. Read the general changelog and see if you think it sounds good.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Might be recency bias talking, but I'd say Star Devourer is my favorite. The fight is enough of a clusterfuck to make it appropriately threatening for a superboss, but not so much that it feels completely unfair. Only borderline unfair. I like that there seem to be multiple ways of dealing with it depending on your team composition too, you might prefer cutting the adds down as they come while chipping away at the main body, or you could try to cull the limbs en masse if you have good AOE damage. The mechanics are mostly instinctive and easy to figure out too, it basically tells you how the fight works on turn 1 like Amalgolem does, and the bind type you need to apply on each limb is intuitive as well (bind arms on the swords, bind head/legs on the parts near the head/bottom. When I finally managed to get through I felt satisfied, like it was because my plan worked and not because I lucked out/avoided some bullshit, and I like that.

As for least favorite, I didn't actually bother to fight Abyssal God, and technically I can't say something I haven't experienced to be my least favorite. And I avoided the worst of Ur-Child and Ur-Devil since I pretty much just followed the pattern other people have figured out, so the process was actually kinda fun to me in a bomb-defusing kinda way. So I'll go with EO4's Chameleon King, because that poo poo has an infuriating gimmick with bulky adds and it made me wanna throw my 3ds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

blizzardvizard posted:

And I avoided the worst of Ur-Child and Ur-Devil since I pretty much just followed the pattern other people have figured out, so the process was actually kinda fun to me in a bomb-defusing kinda way.

I feel the same way about bosses like that, honestly; maybe there's something wrong with my brain for thinking so, but sometimes it's really satisfying to fight a boss that just depends on flawless execution of a plan over a gruelling length of time.