Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

jesus christ

quote:

Van Drew’s voting record is conservative on fronts besides gun control, as well. He was one of two Democrats in the state senate to vote against gay marriage in 2012. Van Drew has also supported restrictions on abortion, and vocally opposed the idea of making New Jersey a sanctuary city — a proposal embraced by newly elected Democratic governor Phil Murphy.

This is new jersey, not alabama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Maybe he just opposed turning New Jersey into a city. Seems like a downgrade?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

This is new jersey, not alabama.

tbf according to most people there anything past central jersey might as well be alabama

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Weird none of the usual suspects gave that guy flack about his rating.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
As a native of NJ-02 it's not that conservative down there. We went for Obama twice and van Drew is only ahead due to name recognition (he represents a more conservative part if the district). If Jim Whelan (represented a more liberal district including Atlantic City) hadn't died last year he probably could have won. Van Drew is about as old as our retiring R congressman anyway so if he wins hopefully he won't be there for 24 years like our previous two representatives.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Radish posted:

Weird none of the usual suspects gave that guy flack about his rating.

Who? That fucker from New Jersey that should be voted out and the DCCC which should be dismantled? gently caress them

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

After the shooting the usual DNC guys came out to say that Bernie should have to answer for his pro-gun voting record but neglected to call out this A+ dude (who also voted no on gay marriage apparently). You start to get the feeling they aren't arguing in good faith when they attack the left.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The DCCC is sure doing a thing this year:

quote:

Elaine Luria is one of the Democrats vying for the chance to challenge U.S. Rep. Scott Taylor, R-2nd.

She has the blessing of the party elite in Washington. One thing not on her résumé: She voted for Taylor in a Republican primary in 2016 and again in the November general election, when Taylor defeated Democrat Shaun Brown to win the seat.

“Elaine doesn’t make decisions just based on political party,” her campaign manager said by email. “Faced with the options on the ballot, she took a chance on fellow veteran Scott Taylor who promised to bring change and be something different, but he broke those promises.”

On Tuesday, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee announced that Luria was among 24 Democratic candidates to whom the DCCC would provide organizational and fundraising support through a program called “Red to Blue.”

Luria, a retired Navy commander, is among six Democrats seeking the nomination in the June primary to challenge Taylor, should he prevail over a primary opponent on the Republican side.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

i joked about it in the succ zone but apparently the dccc's red to blue program is finding republicans to run as democrats

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i joked about it in the succ zone but apparently the dccc's red to blue program is finding republicans to run as democrats

That's what they've been doing and failing at in Florida.

The Democrats are going to be really surprised and offended when their town halls start looking like the Republicans did last year and they are forced to start canceling for similar "security concerns."

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/967120834862178304

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The inability of Dems to counter this stuff or harness this enormous amount of hatred toward the rich is simply incredible.

Democratic Senators have already sided with the GOP and said they'll leave the tax cuts for the rich in place, this is fine because to get elected we need to appeal to moderate Republicans by.....agreeing that Republican policy is good and we should vote for more of it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Speaking of getting Cucked by the Zuck....

https://twitter.com/snmrrw/status/967136708058927104

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Democratic Senators have already sided with the GOP and said they'll leave the tax cuts for the rich in place, this is fine because to get elected we need to appeal to moderate Republicans by.....agreeing that Republican policy is good and we should vote for more of it.

I'm starting to think the Democrats are a bigger threat than the Republicans since the "left" party constantly rocketing to the right opposed to public opinion is half of what's resulting in the GOP going all in on their nazi base in order to make up the electoral slack. They are also setting themselves up to get blamed when the house of cards falls again and will deserve it although the rest of us will be the ones that suffer.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Radish posted:

I'm starting to think the Democrats are a bigger threat than the Republicans since the "left" party constantly rocketing to the right opposed to public opinion is half of what's resulting in the GOP going all in on their nazi base in order to make up the electoral slack. They are also setting themselves up to get blamed when the house of cards falls again and will deserve it although the rest of us will be the ones that suffer.

I hope you appreciate how hard of a sell this idea is.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Until the worthless boomers are dead there will be no change. They are a terrible generation of people - just absolute loving garbage, who largely believe stupid things - and they're going to actively preserve the status quo until they die.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Office Pig posted:

I mean yeah I have no misconceptions about that.

It's pretty clear that we are screwed unless something crazy happens since the DNC and DCCC seem pretty stocked they get to run people that were Republicans a few years ago against Nazis as that's the only chance they'll have at winning and they are going to fight harder against anyone that wants to stop that plan than any Republican. They would rather risk the types of people like Trump than move an inch left on anything social or economic. Like the Democrats are better than Republicans since the Republicans are going full white supremacist and kill all the poors but the Democrats are supposed to be the counter to that and it seems like they almost don't care and still committed to the gentlemanly game of politics that never really existed.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 24, 2018

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/967198322174889985

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Office Pig posted:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/05/15/u-s-voter-turnout-trails-most-developed-countries/

considering our relatively low turnout rate it's not really that hard a sell

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/967044492443422720

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The whole thing with the DCCC in Texas isn't even the worst thing they've been doing.

In the Nebraska 2nd district, the primary is between Brad Ashford and Kara Easton. Ashford brags about being the "most bipartisan member of congress," he voted for the same 2 abortion bills that made Heath Mello get disowned by the national leadership of the democratic party, and was the 2nd most conservative member of the democratic caucus in 2016. Kara Eastman worked in a non-profit and has been endorsed by a poo poo ton of local politicians, is strongly pro-choice, etc. So did the DCCC endorse either of these? Worse, they pretended that Eastman doesn't exist.

https://redtoblue.dccc.org/

They already made Ashford one of the key figures in their red to blue strategy. So what did the groups that raised a stink over Heath Mello do? Well, nothing. Emily's list declined to endorse either candidate in a race between the guy who voted with Heath Mello on the same bills that made him toxic and a pro-choice woman. As did pretty much anyone else in the national democratic establishment. The whole thing is so ridiculous that even the NRCC is making fun of democrats for it:

https://www.nrcc.org/2017/10/10/voters-decide-wins/

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
my favorite candidate profiles on the red to blue page are the ones which hype up their fundraising abilities; at least that's being honest

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

joepinetree posted:

They already made Ashford one of the key figures in their red to blue strategy. So what did the groups that raised a stink over Heath Mello do? Well, nothing. Emily's list declined to endorse either candidate in a race between the guy who voted with Heath Mello on the same bills that made him toxic and a pro-choice woman. As did pretty much anyone else in the national democratic establishment.

But don't you dare call those groups part of the establishment.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
emily's list is such a sham lol

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

joepinetree posted:

The whole thing with the DCCC in Texas isn't even the worst thing they've been doing.

In the Nebraska 2nd district, the primary is between Brad Ashford and Kara Easton. Ashford brags about being the "most bipartisan member of congress," he voted for the same 2 abortion bills that made Heath Mello get disowned by the national leadership of the democratic party, and was the 2nd most conservative member of the democratic caucus in 2016. Kara Eastman worked in a non-profit and has been endorsed by a poo poo ton of local politicians, is strongly pro-choice, etc. So did the DCCC endorse either of these? Worse, they pretended that Eastman doesn't exist.

They already made Ashford one of the key figures in their red to blue strategy. So what did the groups that raised a stink over Heath Mello do? Well, nothing. Emily's list declined to endorse either candidate in a race between the guy who voted with Heath Mello on the same bills that made him toxic and a pro-choice woman. As did pretty much anyone else in the national democratic establishment. The whole thing is so ridiculous that even the NRCC is making fun of democrats for it:

heath mello wasn't disowned cause of those bills. he was disowned cause he was bernie adjacent

the establishment is virulently anti-left to the point they freeze out people who aren't actually leftist but that a leftist said a nice thing about once

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

joepinetree posted:

I just sent her a campaign donation, and I'll send another one before the primary there. National Democrats ought to be launched into solar orbit. gently caress the DCCC.

e: I just sent Emily's List a mean email as well. Tired of this poo poo.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 24, 2018

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Red to Blue seems like such a waste of everyone's time. There's no guarantee you can get them to vote with you and less that they won't just switch parties. The only explanation I can think of is an insane :tinfoil: one where the Democratic Party expects the Republican Party to totally shatter after Trump and is swooping in to grab those voters and position themselves as the new conservative party.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

The only explanation I can think of is an insane :tinfoil: one where the Democratic Party expects the Republican Party to totally shatter after Trump and is swooping in to grab those voters and position themselves as the new conservative party.

that's pretty close but with an opposition further to their right than to their left, which in their ideal world wouldn't exist at all

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think that the democrats are sincerely underestimating how close they are to losing a bunch of voters to third parties. Democrats have had a consistent lead in generic ballot polls:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/2018_generic_congressional_vote-6185.html

But that comes at the same time that the party's favorability ratings have been in the toilet:
https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/07/politics/cnn-poll-republicans-democrats-taxes/index.html

http://news.gallup.com/poll/24655/party-images.aspx

On election day in 2006 democratic favorable ratings were t 57%, 2008 at 55%. Right now it's at 44%, which is not far from where it was in the Republican wave of 2010, at 43%.

So democrats may be having a wave year at the same time people think they suck. So if they come close but don't get a majority in November (especially if it's because some of the candidates that lose are the ones pushed by the party), or elect a bunch of people who will vote with Trump, there could be open rebellion within the base.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

joepinetree posted:

I think that the democrats are sincerely underestimating how close they are to losing a bunch of voters to third parties. Democrats have had a consistent lead in generic ballot polls:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/2018_generic_congressional_vote-6185.html

But that comes at the same time that the party's favorability ratings have been in the toilet:
https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/07/politics/cnn-poll-republicans-democrats-taxes/index.html

http://news.gallup.com/poll/24655/party-images.aspx

On election day in 2006 democratic favorable ratings were t 57%, 2008 at 55%. Right now it's at 44%, which is not far from where it was in the Republican wave of 2010, at 43%.

So democrats may be having a wave year at the same time people think they suck. So if they come close but don't get a majority in November (especially if it's because some of the candidates that lose are the ones pushed by the party), or elect a bunch of people who will vote with Trump, there could be open rebellion within the base.
I would argue there already is, they just don't realize it yet.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/966731219714170881

lmao

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/966740294556438528?s=20

Just rebroadcast everything he says and we might actually win this fight.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

RuanGacho posted:

I would argue there already is, they just don't realize it yet.

I think right now people are pissed, but are not openly rebelling. There's a reason all these stories about how much the democratic establishment sucks are about primaries: people still see the democrats as the way to change things, even if they suck. And I would add that the biggest political story no one is paying attention to right now is just how fast the left is taking over the democratic apparatus in the areas of the country that democrats have decided to ignore (virtually all the democratic candidates in the deep red Georgia house districts are in favor of medicare for all, for example). The other day I read the issues page of the candidate for the GA09 and he was substantially to the left of most democrats in blue states. Yes, they are all super long shots, but when you have 150 longshots, sometimes you hit one.

The real question is what happens if, for example, after the DCCC threw it's entire body on the scale for someone like Brad Ashford, Ashford loses. Will people like Kara Eastman even bother going through the dem primary again in 2020? And I know for a fact that there are several people in the immigrant rights community openly talking to people in the movement for a people's party. Now, I don't think I will see a viable third party in my lifetime. But there is enough anger that could seriously disrupt 2020 for the democrats if all the shenanigans being pulled in the name of electability don't pan out or worse, end up leading to a bunch of democrats just enabling Trump.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

joepinetree posted:

The real question is what happens if, for example, after the DCCC threw it's entire body on the scale for someone like Brad Ashford, Ashford loses. Will people like Kara Eastman even bother going through the dem primary again in 2020? And I know for a fact that there are several people in the immigrant rights community openly talking to people in the movement for a people's party. Now, I don't think I will see a viable third party in my lifetime. But there is enough anger that could seriously disrupt 2020 for the democrats if all the shenanigans being pulled in the name of electability don't pan out or worse, end up leading to a bunch of democrats just enabling Trump.

I think the thing most left leaning people should take to heart is what is possible is whatever you want to try for because we elected Trump, it's not like there's a bunch of polite society that will have their feathers ruffled and monocle pop out unless they happen to be old guard democrats. The GOP sure doesn't care.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It feels like every time Trump says something stupid, the Democrats get together to celebrate their (imaginary) large margin of victory for the next election and how they can shrink that margin in exchange for money and favors.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Argas posted:

It feels like every time Trump says something stupid, the Democrats get together to celebrate their (imaginary) large margin of victory for the next election and how they can shrink that margin in exchange for money and favors.
The ideal election victory for a Democrat is a 50%+1 margin with no mandate to do anything off a campaign devoid of any substance.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/967186588856995840

Woke Yglesias?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Iggy has always been willing to take whatever side of a given argument produces the hottest take

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

icantfindaname posted:

Iggy has always been willing to take whatever side of a given argument produces the hottest take

He produces good opinions and jokes at least 40% of the time on Twitter, but his bad takes are really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I like Yglasias and The Weeds crew generally but he does have a moment here and there where his technocrat-y nature really shows up.

• Locked thread