Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

My gf runs max wide range, max mushroomancer and hunting horn. I've seen her get into the 150's on tempered hunts easily.

Edit: So partbreaker gives 30% extra damage to breakable parts during the fight. If I just switch .y build back to high crit% and more attack, I can do roughly the same damage to parts with the benefit of more overall damage to the monster right?

I would say this mostly depends on the monster since the "best" way to boost your crit to reliable levels is with weakness exploit, and usually breakable parts and weak points overlap. But if you're using a melee weapon, it's definitely better to go for more raw damage, since there's usually one enemy weak point you tend to focus on (you never want to not be attacking the head with a hammer for example), and once you break that part you lose out on your damage. Lately on my Bowgun builds I've been going less for crit and more on Attack Boost, Agitator, and Peak Performance for more damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I like Bazelgeuse a lot. He’s a fun monster who just wants to fly around and see his friends, it’s not his fault he has a skin disease that hurts everyone.

The bombing run into the HAYYYYYY GUYYYYSSSSS bodyslam is my favorite attack in all of Monster Hunter. It's hilarious, terrifying, and dorkily adorable all at the same time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AttackBacon posted:

The bombing run into the HAYYYYYY GUYYYYSSSSS bodyslam is my favorite attack in all of Monster Hunter. It's hilarious, terrifying, and dorkily adorable all at the same time.

he just wants a hug

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bazel, like Jho, start off inspiring dread, but that is quickly replaced by them becoming your dorky hunting friend who wants to hang out even though you're clearly on duty right now and in their excitement they keep barreling into other monsters, the scenery, and you.

Also, in jho's case, he deffo has a serious case of the munchies.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I like bagel goose, it's just annoying how he shows up in all of my investigations that allow only 1 cart. He's too much of a liability to keep around in that situation so i gotta throw poop in his face, sorry guy :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xarbala posted:

I went from understanding Harrow's av, to really understanding Harrow's av, to having no loving clue at all in a very short period of time

Pyre is very good and Sir Gilman is a noble and extremely exuberant knight. (Pyre is secretly the best game of 2017)

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Harrow posted:

Pyre is very good and Sir Gilman is a noble and extremely exuberant knight.

I thought it was Suezo fanart

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I thought it was Suezo fanart

Y’know, I can see how you’d get there

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

This is my first MoHan, and I really love the progression in it. I got completely stonewalled on the Pink Rathian, so I spent like 12 hours just hunting Anjanath to upgrade their armor, and then killed about a dozen Tobi Kadachi to get a good thunder weapon. I went back and absolutely trashed her. Now I've killed B-Juice and I love his armor style and the skills are super good for GS, so I'm going to spend a ton of time farming him until I get the whole set. I know that I won't even use it that long, but this game is fun enough that the grind is actually good.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean i guess ill give pyre a shot

This is my first MoHan, and I really love the progression in it. I got completely stonewalled on the Pink Rathian, so I spent like 12 hours just hunting Anjanath to upgrade their armor, and then killed about a dozen Tobi Kadachi to get a good thunder weapon. I went back and absolutely trashed her. Now I've killed B-Juice and I love his armor style and the skills are super good for GS, so I'm going to spend a ton of time farming him until I get the whole set. I know that I won't even use it that long, but this game is fun enough that the grind is actually good.

This is it, this is the monster hunter appeal

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
What charm should I be using with my odogaron and nerg charge blade setup? I have attack 2, or would something like artillery be better?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

HotBobaloo posted:

What charm should I be using with my odogaron and nerg charge blade setup? I have attack 2, or would something like artillery be better?

If it's between Attack3 and Artillery3, go with Artillery. Capacity Up, the skill that gives you another phial to unload, could also be nice though, combined with Artillery thatd be a 1.45x damage modifier on your SuperAED

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I like Bazelgeuse a lot. He’s a fun monster who just wants to fly around and see his friends, it’s not his fault he has a skin disease that hurts everyone.

I like when he gets whollopped on his side and makes a falsetto WHOooOOH!?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

When legiana gets wallopped he sounds like a distressed rooster

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Bagelgeuse making high pitched Homer yelps every time he falls over sealed the concept for me. He's supposed to be hilarious!

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Harrow posted:

While I know trying to emulate speedrunners is a fool's errand, I do have a question:

How do they get so many trips on monsters, especially tempered elder dragons? Is it just that they're able to do a ton of damage in a short amount of time while I'm wasting time dodging inefficiently, or are there ways to maximize how many trips I'm causing? (For some monsters I know it's "hit it in the legs" but at least with the insect glaive I'm still not knocking them over as much as I'm seeing some people do on YouTube.)

I'd have a much easier time on Teostra if he spent as much time wriggling on the ground as he does when speedrunners fight him :v:

It's basically just a runaway feedback loop for damage, yeah. All that stuff is based on doing damage and rewards you with more time to do damage so at a certain point you get videos like a dude stunlocking nerg by just jumping off a pole for 2 minutes.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Bazelgeuse is a living embodiment of the Corncob Gunlance, and easily in the top 5 best MH designs ever.

I was pretty disappointed in World's new monsters until the ol' Geuse showed up.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So where did you guys take your switchaxe builds?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

this is the exact same poo poo as the monster counts

Anyone who was expecting anywhere remotely near the same amount of content as a literal decade of of copy pasted 2005-quality assets when it all had to be made from scratch this time by 2018 standards is outright delusional

I get that many of the weapons with unique models come from monsters with edgy designs since those are mostly clustered at the end of the game but this complaint generally comes down to "why is the number lower" which is the same reason as the monsters, and the intermediate "bits of monster stapled on" weapons still end up looking pretty unique a lot of the time, such as https://mhworld.kiranico.com/weapon/lumu-axe-i
I feel like you're taking this personally. I never said anything about "expecting" the same amount of content in World as the previous games, I just said it's a shame that they didn't make unique models for the new monsters they added. That's not an unreasonable complaint of the game, the game isn't perfect and that's fine. Weapon models (in particular for certain weapons like the HH) were clearly one of the places where they massively cut corners, which is a shame to me since I really like that aspect of the game.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Bazelgeuse is a living embodiment of the Corncob Gunlance, and easily in the top 5 best MH designs ever.
:aaa: now I can never unsee it

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Deified Data posted:

I tried a bunch of offensive setups and wound up settling into a mix of 3pc kushala and 2pc legi that gives evade window, evade extender, health boost, regen boost, some handicraft and usually (but not always) irrelevant ice attack up.

If I can give up legi 2pc I'll probably transition to the same set but with bazel pieces for earplugs 5. Or swap kush for vaal and just fully embrace the lazy defensive skills.

The sole exception is an offensive blast setup because that poo poo is loving hilarious and devastating.

Offensive skills are cool, never carting is cooler, especially when defensive skills let you play more aggro because who gives a poo poo about scary attacks when you can ignore/roll thorough/outright sponge everything.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

What are the odds of this poo poo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcWd7AY0EzY

I wasted hours farming one of these little fuckers before I even knew it would eventually become a quest, too.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

What are the odds of this poo poo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcWd7AY0EzY

I wasted hours farming one of these little fuckers before I even knew it would eventually become a quest, too.

probably a stupid question but how did you get more requests from the researcher? Ever time I meet the researchers out in the field they just repeat "thanks for helping me out with [First Request]" and I've never gotten any new requests from them, like in the forest the Endemic Life Researcher just thanks me for catching the tree-bird-lizard thing and in the wastes she just thanks me for catching ants.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Deified Data posted:

victrix posted:

I tried a bunch of offensive setups and wound up settling into a mix of 3pc kushala and 2pc legi that gives evade window, evade extender, health boost, regen boost, some handicraft and usually (but not always) irrelevant ice attack up.

If I can give up legi 2pc I'll probably transition to the same set but with bazel pieces for earplugs 5. Or swap kush for vaal and just fully embrace the lazy defensive skills.

The sole exception is an offensive blast setup because that poo poo is loving hilarious and devastating.

Offensive skills are cool, never carting is cooler, especially when defensive skills let you play more aggro because who gives a poo poo about scary attacks when you can ignore/roll thorough/outright sponge everything.

My two favorite builds for SA ended up being a Legi/Kusha mix and a Bazel/Kusha mix (proving that great minds do think alike). I also have Legi/Kirin setup that I am messing around with. I'll post the exact setups below. Keep in mind that I exclusively fashion hunt. I try to make pretty optimized sets regardless but you'll never see me wearing or posting some clownsuit with pieces from four different sets, I don't care how good the skills are. The usual result of that is that my sets will often have one or two more utility or defensive skills than somebody else's 100% offensive mixed set. I find the tradeoffs, both in form and function, completely worth it.

Legiana/Kushala Mix
-Weapon: Legia Frostreaver
-Head: Legiana Helm Beta - Slot: Frost Jewel 1 (Ice Attack)
-Chest: Legiana Mail Alpha
-Hands: Kushala Grip Alpha
-Waist: Kushala Cocoon Alpha
-Feet: Kushala Crus Alpha
-Charm: Handicraft Charm III

This set is a really good place to start. It's not too hard to make and takes absolutely nothing in terms of decorations. The frost jewel isn't required but caps out your elemental attack and it's craftable anyways so I'd recommend it. The set gives Kushala Daora Flight (Wind Res All), Legiana Favor (Good Luck), Handicraft 5, Evade Window 4, Ice Attack 3 (cap for this SA), Evade Extender 3, and Divine Blessing 3. It is extremely safe due to the strong defensive skills and outputs excellent damage against monsters that are weak to ice. Handicraft 4 (with a level 2 charm) is totally fine and even 3 can work, although you will need to sharpen more than I think is good. Evade Extender is a required skill for Switch Axe as far as I'm concerned, it is a complete game changer for the weapon. Coupling that with Evade Window is quite nice, allowing you to side hope straight through most attacks. It makes Sword mode so much more enjoyable. You can use this set with other Switch Axes but you'll be lacking in offensive punch a bit and have some wasted points of Ice Attack.

Bazel/Kushala Mix
-Weapon: Bazel Raider II - Slot: Grinder Jewel 1 (Speed Sharpening)
-Head: Bazel Helm Beta - Slot: Earplug Jewel 3 (Earplugs) - Slot: Satiated Jewel 1 (Free Meal)
-Chest: Kushala Cista Beta - Slot: Grinder Jewel 1
-Hands: Kushala Grip Beta - Slot: Jumping Jewel 2 (Evade Extender)
-Waist: Bazel Coil Alpha - Slot: Grinder Jewel 1
-Feet: Kushala Crus Beta - Slot: Sharp Jewel 2 (Protective Polish)
-Charm: Handicraft Charm III

This set is super fun but obviously has much higher decoration requirements. The rarer gems (Evade Extender and Protective Polish) aren't necessary however. You should be able to grab the rest fairly early on, they are all pretty common drops. The set has Kushala Daora Flight, Earplugs 5, Handicraft 5, Evade Extender 3, Speed Sharpening 3, Evade Window 2, Jump Master, Protective Polish, and Free Meal. It's a super fun set and works with any SA, I just like the Bazel one because it's solid and of course it matches the fashion. You don't need a slot in the weapon either, just swap out the Satiated Jewel for the third Grinder Jewel.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Your Computer posted:

probably a stupid question but how did you get more requests from the researcher? Ever time I meet the researchers out in the field they just repeat "thanks for helping me out with [First Request]" and I've never gotten any new requests from them, like in the forest the Endemic Life Researcher just thanks me for catching the tree-bird-lizard thing and in the wastes she just thanks me for catching ants.

Same thing was happening to me, I think, so I can't really say for sure. I want to say you just have to do a quest for them in each locale (maybe even more than one per locale) and eventually you get a penultimate quest from each one. I'd just check for exclamation marks on the map anytime you go on an expedition. Just in case they aren't given in a random order, the last one I had to do before this was in Rotten Vale, catching spiders (Scavantula I think?) If you haven't caught a Wiggler(s) for her in Coral Highlands yet, that's another one she has you do, but I think that covers everything.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
what's the Defense threshold for Nerg? i currently have 291 and he one shots (or very close) me with anything bigger than a light tap. doesn't help that with the SnS and being up in his business i can't see the slams coming until the faint message pops up.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Million Ghosts posted:

what's the Defense threshold for Nerg? i currently have 291 and he one shots (or very close) me with anything bigger than a light tap. doesn't help that with the SnS and being up in his business i can't see the slams coming until the faint message pops up.

That feels low to me, but it's been a while since I first killed him so I don't remember what I was at. Is everything you have fully upgraded? That's the metric I would use. If your armor is fully upgraded you should be fine defense-wise for wherever you are at. Nerg is a bit tough for SnS I would agree, his constant movement often leaves him right on top of you and then it's super hard to see what's going on. The killer is gonna be the big head slam he does, that turns his entire chest into a hitbox as well so if you are under him when he does it you are gonna get creamed. He rolls his neck and head a little bit before he does it, it's the move where he just plants his face into the ground and if his neck has spines they will fire off after. Try zooming your camera out to max distance in the options as well, that might help a little.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Sooo what's up with armorcharm and powercharm? Items that stay in your bag and give attack and defense bonuses. I saw someone mention it on a YouTube video, but I can't find them for sale anywhere...

Google says they start selling them after rank 6, but I'm rank 8 or 9 now and don't see them anywhere. Is there some merchant I don't know about?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Malaria posted:

Sooo what's up with armorcharm and powercharm? Items that stay in your bag and give attack and defense bonuses. I saw someone mention it on a YouTube video, but I can't find them for sale anywhere...

Google says they start selling them after rank 6, but I'm rank 8 or 9 now and don't see them anywhere. Is there some merchant I don't know about?

You get them from the main item vendor after you get to High Rank (HR 11-14 I think).

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The guy is up a ramp on a bunch of boxes across from the bounty guys. I missed him for ages myself.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Malaria posted:

When Google says "Rank 6" it means your quest progress in star rating. Low Rank quests have 1-5 blue stars describing their difficulty while High Rank quests have 6-9 orange stars. You'll know you're in High Rank when your Assigned Quests have orange stars. That's when the Provisions guy starts selling the passive charms.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Do various monster types have different chances of dropping different gems, or are they all just in one big loot pool?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Million Ghosts posted:

Vitality decorations are very strong, use those if you can. Extra health is essential at later stages in the game.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I beat teostra first try. It was a very close thing though. I made him run 4x and no damage taken to speak of. Then suddenly I am taking damage from him and it's not immediately apparent why. After the first death I buffed myself every way except cold drink and got killed saying please hold off i just need to drink this glass of refreshing milk just don't hit me three times in a row whoops okay you did.

I went into his boss arena 100% sure I was gonna biff it on the last life but wow I somehow pulled it out. Nerg horn is very strong.

I am completely out of: potions, hi potions, bitter bugs, honey, other things?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Been messing around with a Heroics set since I was trying to figure out a good fashion hunting setup for the Diablos CB. It's pretty amusing, when Heroics triggers I've got around 1400 attack and over 500 defense. I've augmented the weapon with defense so I'm getting another 25 there, plus the divine protection effect. I haven't died yet despite purposely playing stupidly aggressive, I just kill poo poo too fast once heroics activates, and the set is pretty strong even without it. Here's what I'm running right now:

Diablos/Nerg Mixed Heroics
-Weapon: Diablos Tyrannis II - Augment: Defense (Haven't decided on the second one yet)
-Head: Nergigante Helm Alpha - Slot: Attack Jewel 1
-Chest: Diablos Mail Beta - Slot: Elementless Jewel 2
-Hands: Diablos Vambraces Beta - Slot: Potential Jewel 2
-Waist: Nergigante Coil Beta - Slot: Potential Jewel 2
-Feet: Nergigante Coil Beta - Slot: Potential Jewel 2
-Charm: Ironside Charm III

Set looks pretty good, which is always my first criteria. Has Nergigante Hunger (Hasten Recovery), Diablos Mastery 2 (Bludgeoner), Heroics 5, Attack Boost 4, Guard 3, Maximum Might 3, Slugger 2, and Non-Elemental Boost. It's really fun to play because I just ignore all the normal mechanics of a hunt. I never use potions and never sharpen. My damage stays completely neutral from blue to green sharpness due to Bludgeoner (regular damage is slightly lower, phial damage slightly higher due to the increased attack). My health doesn't drop too fast since I have so much defense even before heroics, plus the divine blessing effect from the defense augment, plus it's a Guard 3 charge blade so I rarely get hit anyways. If I ever do drop low, Heroics activates and makes me totally crazy and I'll eventually heal back up with Nergigante Hunger. It's a blast being able to just ignore all the usual maintenance of a hunt.

Not something I'd bring on tempered elder's but even on tier 2 tempered monsters I wasn't having an issue. It's a fun style of play if you ever want to switch it up.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
It seems that every time I fight either of the Rath duo (usually in Ancient Forest because Wildspire Waste just has Rathians), the other one always shows up and I have to use my Dung Pods to drive it away. So I tried out the Azure Rathalos hunt from Elder's Recess because I thought it would be easy since there won't be any Rathians interrupting me but it turns out that I forgot that the place is rather small and I ended up having to deal with not only Azure Rathalos but Uragaan and Dodogama.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just had a 30 minute Beetle juice run, not because my damage is poor but because I forgot to pack dung bombs and he insisted on picking fights with everything.

He's like an anti-escort quest.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How do you get pinnacle coins?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Arena quests. The monsters have the 2.6x their usual HP though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I've done enough arena quests to make a weapon and three pieces of the armor and I have one pinnacle coin so I was hoping it was something other than that. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of arena quests, it seems they don't unlock all at once after all. I just went up there and checked, and I could only do the ones up to Dodo.

Embarassingly, the one that gave me the most trouble was the Barroth and his dumb infinite homing mud :cripes: Every single time he did his little wet dog shake I lined up the perfect SAED only to have a piece of mud fly straight into my face, no matter where I was standing. They're all damage sponges though and definitely tuned for co-op.