Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

E: I will say my own trophy thirst aside I have mad respect for people who can just shotgun these games forever. Now that I can reliably kill Teostra everything just feels way too easy. Sure I might cart because I'm not paying all that much attention or I get a unlock pattern but it's just kinda eh.
Game showered me in all the parts I could ever ask for so there's nothing to really craft, I've finished just about every quest and the actual game part feels pretty empty now.

On DLC monsters it's good to start with Jho but I wonder how often new guys will show up and if they're going to bother with weak junk monsters like Jaggi/Wroggi/That Other One

I feel ya. Once you're farming tempered elders the pointlessness starts to set in. I'm already killing the hardest monsters for the rarest upgrades so I can... keep killing the same couple monsters? On the other hand I practically never play a game this long, so... hopefully over time Capcom ramps up new releases with eventually as much content as XX. Can't expect a much better launch than what we got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finally fought Nergigante and I had the exact same problem as I had with Gore Magala back in 4U; during most of the fight my screen looked like this

I still feel like the hardest part of fighting big, aggressive monsters in monhun is not being able to see poo poo. They're the one case where I almost wish I had a lock-on. Or at least be able to zoom the camera out a bit further. I can't imagine how bad it is for people playing with the default or close camera setting.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I concluded that fighting kushala was extremely tedious when I was farming for its armor set. then I did the optional quest where you fight him in ancient forest and I kicked his rear end in like 3 minutes flat. dumb dragon didn't even get out of the area he was chillin in. the entire game feels like this.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's why I'm amazed at how toothless Beetle juice feels now. If anything he's a boon in larger hunts.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
160 hours in and I only just found out that you can do palico safaris from the research base and there's even a small grouping area for the three groups of palicos to choose from where you can talk to them individually. When you pick a group to go on the safari, there's a cutscene that plays and it's pretty great. I don't know how I missed that the entire time. I always did safaris from my house before.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like that there's literally no reason to *ever* go to the research base.

I never got sidequests from it. No way to eat while you're there. No way to go to a guild hall type area (though I don't do that anyway so w/e) just absolutely no point to it other then to see that goofy cat cutscene

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

just absolutely no point to it other then to see that goofy cat cutscene

worth it

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I like that there's literally no reason to *ever* go to the research base.

I never got sidequests from it. No way to eat while you're there. No way to go to a guild hall type area (though I don't do that anyway so w/e) just absolutely no point to it other then to see that goofy cat cutscene

They have a couple booze quests to do! Dunno what triggers their unlock. Also a mantle I think.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

AnonSpore posted:

I've done enough arena quests to make a weapon and three pieces of the armor and I have one pinnacle coin so I was hoping it was something other than that. Oh well.

As far as I can tell I think they come from the low rank quests specifically. I've ground out almost all of the arena weapons and armor by this point and I've only ever gotten pinnacle coins from the LR quests.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
If I recall right there is a questline from there to get the affinity booster but that's it I think.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

If I recall right there is a questline from there to get the affinity booster but that's it I think.

Yeah, you do all the booze quests then the 3rd fleet master gives you the affinity booster quest.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

So here's a set I like to call:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZFuyATj5EI&t=1316s

I'll probably replace the feather duster with a Nergi hammer once I get a Vaal gem to augment an extra slot on it. Just need one more stun jewel and I can slot full immunity to that or just have three slots for whatever.

It's not a bad-looking set, either.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

nice armor

for a clown to wear

to blizzcon

WildChyld
Dec 20, 2003
Entirely too metal for one hand: \mm/
I am HR 64 and still have not unlocked augmentation at the smithy

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does the size of a monster effect its stats beyond reach? I fought a tiny Barroth who couldn't hit me if I stood still when he was headbutting. :3:

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I'm very bad at this game. I want to learn to guard point with charge blade though. Any progression suggestions on getting good at that? I tried low rank diablos, and didn't get a single one.

Maybe I need to start with the barrel bomb in the training grounds.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, between Nergigante, Uragaan and Lavasioth I'm not having a good day. All three sucked to fight. I can't believe they made Lavasioth (even more) awful to fight, I used to like that dumb lava puppy :(

Turned out they were all crowns though, which makes me feel a bit justified in the "stop loving taking up the entire camera" complaint.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gerdalti posted:

I'm very bad at this game. I want to learn to guard point with charge blade though. Any progression suggestions on getting good at that? I tried low rank diablos, and didn't get a single one.

Maybe I need to start with the barrel bomb in the training grounds.

Most of the guard points are very hard to pull off intentionally due to their timing, but learn to use the R2-Triangle one (sword to axe morph) it'll carry you far! It's easily the simplest one and it's very powerful; it's instant and fairly lenient, just press it right before an attack is going to hit you. Starting by practicing on the barrel bomb isn't a dumb idea, but I would also suggest fighting Barroth or Diablos or any other monster with a fairly fast charging attack.The idea is that you stay mostly in sword mode until an opportunity presents itself, then morph into axe right right the monster's attack. The first part of the animation where you're slotting the sword into the shield in front of you is the guard point.

Really a bit of a shame they didn't include the feature from Generations where guard points showed a little particle effect. It made it so much easier to figure out when you were actually guard pointing.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

WildChyld posted:

I am HR 64 and still have not unlocked augmentation at the smithy

Keep on grinding tempered elder dragons. I got my hero stone at 77.

e: I did do a lot of non-TED grinding though, and allegedly they have a chance to drop from T2 tempered (HR30+)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 25, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I'm HR 59 and I don't know anything about augmentation, what's even the system? Is it one augment per stone thing?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I don't really buy the whole "the SOS system is for people to get carried" thing I see going around. People always pop the SOS at the beginning of the hunt. It's also a lot of times just plain outright faster to do a hunt in multiplayer if you're not running one of the really high damage-per-hit weapons that stagger enemies easily. If you're joining random SOS missions and expecting no one to cart ever, you're just sort of being unrealistic. I'm HR 57 and have been fighting Tempered Elders for a while now and I still cart sometimes, like if I'm trying out a new weapon or get caught in a corner by an enemy who won't stop targeting me. If you really cant tolerate people not playing as well as you, go join a discord or something and get a group together. SOS is for joining random investigations that have rewards you want.

In my experience SOSs are significantly harder unless you get four people immediately and even then if someone's bad you lose. Singleplayer is faster, easier, but less fun.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So this trick for getting tempered elder investigations where you have a Tempered Nergigante quest, hang out in the map for 10-15 minutes, then gather up all the tracks he leaves from pacing in his one little zone: Are you meant to do this with four people? Does having more people in the quest mean getting more investigations? Because I tried it with the Nerg I have, wandered around the map for a good 20mins before engaging him, and got maybe two investigations when he wandered off.

I have three more tries and I'd like to make the most of them.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

RBA Starblade posted:

In my experience SOSs are significantly harder unless you get four people immediately and even then if someone's bad you lose. Singleplayer is faster, easier, but less fun.

What HR are you? I rarely fail missions anymore and pretty much exclusively join SOS missions. People still cart to the really dangerous attacks like Tempered Nerg's huge aerial punch which I'll never blame anyone for dying to because gently caress that attack. The other half of the time I'll join and it's three other Asian players who are total gods and we clean sweep the hunt in five minutes. Sometimes I'll not join a quest if I see the host is below a certain HR, but for tempered elders you can generally expect a reasonable hunting party.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

What HR are you? I rarely fail missions anymore and pretty much exclusively join SOS missions. People still cart to the really dangerous attacks like Tempered Nerg's huge aerial punch which I'll never blame anyone for dying to because gently caress that attack. The other half of the time I'll join and it's three other Asian players who are total gods and we clean sweep the hunt in five minutes. Sometimes I'll not join a quest if I see the host is below a certain HR, but for tempered elders you can generally expect a reasonable hunting party.

Oh 14, I'm not against tempered stuff yet.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The stupidity factor drops off quickly in my experience. Lot of hunters still seem intent on hugging the testicle lion when he explodes though.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

The stupidity factor drops off quickly in my experience. Lot of hunters still seem intent on hugging the testicle lion when he explodes though.

Explodes??? You mean gets hit with a flashbang and flails on the ground while being pounded after losing all his fire

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

victrix posted:

Explodes??? You mean gets hit with a flashbang and flails on the ground while being pounded after losing all his fire

This. Flashpods are my life and melee attacking LBG mines placed next to the head of a monster crying on the ground is my blood

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Your Computer posted:

probably a stupid question but how did you get more requests from the researcher? Ever time I meet the researchers out in the field they just repeat "thanks for helping me out with [First Request]" and I've never gotten any new requests from them, like in the forest the Endemic Life Researcher just thanks me for catching the tree-bird-lizard thing and in the wastes she just thanks me for catching ants.

I found that every time I went to a researcher ( Piscine/Endemic ) when they are in an area I haven't done their quest for, they will give me a new quest. There is 1 quest per area, so 10 total. Then once you have completed ALL of those quests for BOTH researchers, they will then give you the final quest for the fossil fish, and phantom bird. I got the fish done pretty quickly, but the loving bird(s) will not spawn. I haven't seen any of the 3 god drat birds. The quest one in Ancient Forest, the one on the Apnoth in Wildspire Waste, or the bird on the Gastodon's in Elder Recess. :sigh:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Grinding PinkRat+Lev tempered last night there were too many people getting frosted, too many I had to panic-life powder to save because they were too retarded to heal, too many who never had traps and tranqs, too many who never bothered dodging, too many throwing flashpods when the target was clearly being ridden, too many putting bombs in the middle of active melee combat throwing everybody around, and a partridge in a pear tree.

When there are useful players around it's all perfect. Feels like the higher the HR the more likely to get somebody useful, I think I haven't had any problem HR85 and up with somebody but stunlocks and bad luck is unavoidable so deaths can happen to anyone.

Everybody were on the ball about flash pods at least

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 25, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This. Flashpods are my life and melee attacking LBG mines placed next to the head of a monster crying on the ground is my blood

Putting six to eight bombs and three mines down next to Kushala's head's a really easy way to make him go away forever. :v:

Also exhaust ammo/paralyze seems a bit poo poo since no one ever actually gets exhausted or paralyzed but sleep ammo is pretty handy.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I wanted to play last night but I ended up staring at the armor list trying to make a good bow build. Any tips?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

hiddenriverninja posted:

I wanted to play last night but I ended up staring at the armor list trying to make a good bow build. Any tips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z53lt5ns5os

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I have one lance augment and I’m thinking the odogaron one would be a good candidate. Get to augment twice, already have white sharpness and a ton of affinity. I’m just not sure what augments to go for. More damage or affinity?

I also haven’t augmented any armor piece because I change them up so often I don’t want to sink a ton of my non-existent money on a couple of pieces. God I need money so badly.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

hiddenriverninja posted:

Good, in order of usefulness to bows:
Constitution
Attack Power (stop at +4 for the affinity bonus)
Stamina Surge
Weakness Exploit
Elementless (only for Diablos bow, really)
Normal Shots, Special Shots
Nergigante 3-piece set bonus
That Legiana set bonus gem if you won the lottery

Not bad:
Agitator
Quick Sheath
Evasion Window (but ONLY LIKE ONE OR TWO POINTS what are you a sissy)

Bad:
Earplugs (wasteful for a bow user, you're usually not in much danger at ranged if roared)
Handicraft (no sharpness for bows)
Evade Extender (don't be a baby)

My current bow build that rules but I'm guessing because my roommate is hogging MHW right now: Constitution Charm 3 (this is a bitch to craft/upgrade,) Dragonking Eyepatch (maybe beta?), Nergigante chest/gloves/waist, Diablos legs beta. Gemmed to get Weakness Exploit 3 and an appropriate bow coating for the monster I'm fighting (but Sleepcoat is always a great choice because you can feed it some bombs.)

Good bows: Diablos (only with Weakness Exploit 3 to offset the negative affinity,) Nergigante (good all-arounder with high Elderseal,) Anjanath bow (very high Fire elemental damage against Fire-susceptible monsters,) Tobi-Kadachi bow (lower damage but high Thunder for Thunder-susceptible monsters, also causes paralysis against monsters that are 3 stars against Thunder.) Just realized they call it "thunder" in this game. Thunder is the sound that lightning makes. Lightning is the part that hurts you.

This seems like something fun to play with, but the utility is way low, considering getting off high quality Dragon Piercer shots like that tend to only happen an average of once or twice per fight. I wouldn't recommend it as a first-time bow build.

enojy fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 25, 2018

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

enojy posted:

This seems like something fun to play with, but the utility is way low, considering getting off high quality Dragon Piercer shots like that tend to only happen an average of once or twice per fight. I wouldn't recommend it as a first-time bow build.

Your positioning needs a lot of work then.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I found that every time I went to a researcher ( Piscine/Endemic ) when they are in an area I haven't done their quest for, they will give me a new quest. There is 1 quest per area, so 10 total. Then once you have completed ALL of those quests for BOTH researchers, they will then give you the final quest for the fossil fish, and phantom bird. I got the fish done pretty quickly, but the loving bird(s) will not spawn. I haven't seen any of the 3 god drat birds. The quest one in Ancient Forest, the one on the Apnoth in Wildspire Waste, or the bird on the Gastodon's in Elder Recess. :sigh:

According to Gajin hunter the only way the birds spawn is if you have your back to the apnoth while wearing the sneaky mantle. If you hear chirping then turn around and a catch one. I haven't tested this though.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Man, loving Vaal Hazak is stingy old bastard with his fangs isn't he? Beaten him at least 10 times over the past few day, smashed his stupid face in every time and until an hour ago I only had 1 fang that had dropped and I think that was from the story fight. Was using tickets whenever I had them as well and on this last attempt I finally got not one, not two but three.... and every weapon I want to make needs 5. I have a feeling that last one is going to be a real bastard.

Shwqa posted:

According to Gajin hunter the only way the birds spawn is if you have your back to the apnoth while wearing the sneaky mantle. If you hear chirping then turn around and a catch one. I haven't tested this though.

Yeah that's one way, I don't think that's the only way they spawn though, Arrektz did a video where he just loaded into the forest, ran into the open area in the south west (while wearing the ghillie mantle) and they were already spawned on the back of one of the herbivore guys so he could just grab them. I didn't have any luck with either method so there's still a fair bit of luck involved. The fish is the only one of the rare animals I've managed to catch so far.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 25, 2018

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Astroniomix posted:

Your positioning needs a lot of work then.

No it doesn't, I'm just saying most fights are over in 10 minutes or less and the opportunity to go prone and line up a perfect shot like that doesn't present itself very often. I'm of the mindset that Dragon Piercer should only be used in prime moments such as a downed, stunned, or sleeping monster. Otherwise, it's usually too much of a risk, both in vulnerability (if the monster decides to charge me) or damage loss (if the monster decides to rotate 90 degrees towards someone else and I get a whopping 3 hits out of it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

Depends on your play style. I prefer dashing charges so Constitution is a must.

Helmet: Kadachi aplha (2 Constitution)
Armor: Nergigante aplha (2 Stamina Surge, 1 Agitator) or Beta if you want to drop 1 Agitator for a gem slot
Arms: Kaiser Alpha (2 weakness exploit)
Waist: Nergigante aplha (2 Attack, 1 Stamina Surge)
Legs: Lavasioth beta (Spread/powershots)
Charm: Fitness Charm III

Gives: 5 Constitution, 3 Stamina Surge, 2 Weakness Exploit, 2 Attack, Spead/Powershots, 1 Agiatator
This is a great all around set that let's you dash and shoot all day without the need of dash juice.

If you are using dash juice, you can drop Constitution to 3 in lieu of stacking crit skills since constitution and juice only stacks to a certain extent. Here's a set Phemto (who is a God with Bow) used in this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfoTfZYetdg

Helmet: Rath Soul Beta (1 Crit Boost)
Armor: Rath Beta (2 Weakness exploit)
Arms: Kaiser Beta (1 Weakness exploit)
Waist: Odogaron beta (2 Crit Eye)
Legs: Lavasioth beta (Spread/powershots)
Charm: Fitness Charm III

3 Constitution, 3 Weakness Exploit, 2 Crit Eye, 1 Crit Boost, Spread Powershots, and Rath Mastery 2 set bonus which increases elemental crit damage. And a whoooole lotta slots

Bananasaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 25, 2018