Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Mr. Despair posted:

It specifically says you can't have more than one thing active. It's no different than say, the harbingers you could summon with all the harbinger items.
you can only have one ASPECT up at a time. the different sets buff the different aspects. this is not like the harbinger items at all.

Ghostlight posted:

In the sense that, yes, equipping an item that buffs your crab barriers lets you avoid having crabs better, but not in the sense that there's a checklist that goes "oh, you have two crab barrier items equipped so now you also get +15 Strength on top of the items".
so yeah it is their version of set items which is fine but its something i thought they didnt want to mess around with at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

At long last I can play a Feral Druid again.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

lurksion posted:

OK, that new jewel is really loving good for Scions if I'm not blind. Basically all the (originally kinda of poo poo) starting nodes are within range of 3x jewels + the 2x life rectangle (or 2x ES wheel)

It makes point investment into lots of those nodes really strong (3x18+27 single res, 3x6+9 proj/spell damage, 3x15+22.5 crit multi, 3x3+4.5 attack speed, 2x8+12 melee phys, 2x3+4.5 cast speed, etc)

Apparently jewel sockets are notables so it's never going to be used by anyone.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Mr. Despair posted:

The important question we should be asking is whether these items have 3d art or not.

With Abyss they seem to have fixed their 3d art pipeline, so that the league uniques have 3d art during the league, unlike poor lightning coil that finally got 3d art 3 leagues after anyone used it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

George posted:

Oops, I guess you can only put one of them by the scion life wheel then. I know there are a bunch of builds that take one of those jewel slots and not the others.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Pathfinder may be a decent league starter as you can apparently get permanent uptime on a bismuth flask with that changed node and can probably skip that whole gearing phase where you have to spend half your chaos to fix your resists after act 10.

Might do that and respec to deadeye if they put anything halfway interesting in there.

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 24, 2018

ArkhamPraetor
Sep 11, 2011

Mr. Despair posted:

It specifically says you can't have more than one thing active. It's no different than say, the harbingers you could summon with all the harbinger items. Dunno why everyone's yelling SET ITEMS now but not then. besides the fact that people like to bitch about every little change, real change or not

e. People complaining about power creep seem to forget all the broken poo poo that you used to be able to do, instant leech with poison double dipping and old vaal discipline with HOWA and whatnot. poo poo's been powerful since ascendencies got added, it's just a new flavor of the month.

There is a pretty important difference between these two crab items, namely that the boots don't actually give you crab and do nothing without the chest. You can use one of the pieces by itself, and you can just wear a couple crab items instead of all 4? of them, but you still have 3 items that just have a lot of flavor text without the first. It seems way more flexible than most set implementations, but I would definitely call it more of a set than harbinger or abyss items.

These set items are probably a fun and good thing though, as long as the items that grant the skills are the most common ones.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ArkhamPraetor posted:

There is a pretty important difference between these two crab items, namely that the boots don't actually give you crab and do nothing without the chest. You can use one of the pieces by itself, and you can just wear a couple crab items instead of all 4? of them, but you still have 3 items that just have a lot of flavor text without the first. It seems way more flexible than most set implementations, but I would definitely call it more of a set than harbinger or abyss items.

These set items are probably a fun and good thing though, as long as the items that grant the skills are the most common ones.

One of the preview items is a rare with aspect of the cat so it seems likely that all the aspects can be beastcrafted.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

MMF Freeway posted:

One of the preview items is a rare with aspect of the cat so it seems likely that all the aspects can be beastcrafted.

that is interesting. build your own set (although probably just the chest i guess?)

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

The cat chest doesn't have aspect, so I bet one unique per set does but otherwise you have to craft

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I also have a feeling they've been testing some of this for a while... I know some of the crafting options they showed were things like "give an item a white socket", and it'd explain why the abyss preview had a bunch of rares and poo poo with white sockets but no corruption. Hopefully this means the crafting poo poo will be sweet if nothing else.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

George posted:

McFrugal posted:

Oops, I guess you can only put one of them by the scion life wheel then. I know there are a bunch of builds that take one of those jewel slots and not the others.
:shrug: Eh. Random reddit speculation and the fact that it happens to be indented under notable in the player-edited wiki is not exactly a reliable source. We'll find out soon enough.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My new years resolution is that this league I'll make my own build.

I hope these new uniques aren't super rare because I want them.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Making your own build is a lot easier now than it used to be, that's for sure. There's a lot more things that are viable, and stuff is overall easier to correct.

Pick your clearing skill
Pick your single target (sometimes optional)
Pick your ascendancy
Pick your key unique items
Pick life, CI, or hybrid
Pick your notables
Fill in life or ES to taste (I do 180% life for ranged, 200% for melee)
Fill in damage

Don't build out past level 85 or 90.

J
Jun 10, 2001

And then plug it all in to path of building with an average set of gear and look at the life/dps.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

J posted:

And then plug it all in to path of building with an average set of gear and look at the life/dps.

Then click all of your flasks and "yes i have charges and all these buffs" and go into the game confident you will do 2.5 million dps

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Then click all of your flasks and "yes i have charges and all these buffs" and go into the game confident you will do 2.5 million dps

At least your not the guy who put 100ex+ gear into every slot, tagged every buff in POB, and then claimed to get 17+ million dps on shaper on a "budget" build.

It was so bad someone else put out a whole video series roasting it.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1931981

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MOTHER COMES

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/967533021824864256

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm really not digging all these aspect things. But who knows, maybe it'll be good. GGG's been on a kick lately of making uniques give those rotating buffs. Sorry GGG, I'm not going to janitor my auras.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
I don't plan to pay any attention to the durations on these things, just 'sometimes I punch harder, it'll even out' and just keep swinging.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
spiders and birds are WAY more boring than crabs and cats, dissapointing

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Vasudus posted:

I'm really not digging all these aspect things. But who knows, maybe it'll be good. GGG's been on a kick lately of making uniques give those rotating buffs. Sorry GGG, I'm not going to janitor my auras.

I think it's pretty cool that they're trying a bunch of different mechanics and seeing what sticks. I've been playing the new Diablo season and absolutely nothing has changed about the game at all and it makes you feel like the game isn't evolving in any way and there's no reason to keep coming back. I'm not as interested in this league as Abyss, but it still sounds interesting and different.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

As long as it isn't mandatory to wear a full set of items I'm fine with the new uniques. I just wouldn't want the game to go the direction diablo 3 has.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
from what we've seen so far it's not even mandatory to wear a single piece

George
Nov 27, 2004

Speaking of Diablo, let's see if they can make these intermittent buffs feel more engaging and relevant than Convention of Elements.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Newbie question:

So is the Abyss stuff now part of the main game in some way, or is it gone forever?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's going to work the same way as Breach currently does where there's a small chance they will appear on your maps. Possibly available as a Zana mod.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Here's the full rundown on how it will get integrated

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Terrific Accident posted:

I think it's pretty cool that they're trying a bunch of different mechanics and seeing what sticks. I've been playing the new Diablo season and absolutely nothing has changed about the game at all and it makes you feel like the game isn't evolving in any way and there's no reason to keep coming back. I'm not as interested in this league as Abyss, but it still sounds interesting and different.

I actually just tried D3 again, for no real reason.
It's been quite a few seasons and everything is still the same, isn't it?
I'm bored at level 54 "levelling" on hardcore seasonal and at 70 there's maybe 3 choices?

It's a drat shame, because I like the look and feel, there's just nothing behind it sadly.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Acht posted:

I actually just tried D3 again, for no real reason.
It's been quite a few seasons and everything is still the same, isn't it?
I'm bored at level 54 "levelling" on hardcore seasonal and at 70 there's maybe 3 choices?

It's a drat shame, because I like the look and feel, there's just nothing behind it sadly.
Yeah. I go back to D3 every couple of years, and I'm always surprised at how little has changed. A few new builds come and go, but it never feels as different as any two leagues of PoE.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

It's almost as if one of the two games being compared here is a F2P that has to push new content to generate interest and retain/gain playerbase.

:thunk:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I really wish that totems didn't apply EE, I would be really tempted to roll a Hierophant otherwise. I hate totem builds but the ability to have 3 or 4 with the vastly increased placement speed is really tempting. Maybe I'll do one anyway.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Infected posted:

It's almost as if one of the two games being compared here is a F2P that has to push new content to generate interest and retain/gain playerbase.

:thunk:

D3 still bothers to have seasons and it has additional content to sell. I know they’re very different games but it’s kind of crazy to me how much of a better model PoE has created in terms of maintaining a long-term player base.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

well from what I understand Diablo 3 has basically a skeleton crew on it acting as life support, while PoE has a full team dedicated to it 100%

George
Nov 27, 2004

D3 would absolutely be a contender if they wanted it to be, but they made their apologies for vanilla and closed the book.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They already got your money and they don't feel it's worthwhile to switch their development/business model. They're Blizzard, the gently caress do they care.

George
Nov 27, 2004

I totally think there's room for the classic expansion model; they just had to keep making them.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

George posted:

I totally think there's room for the classic expansion model; they just had to keep making them.

im just mad they removed any ability to mod the game, buy and forget is perfect for modding but noooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

George posted:

Of course there is, they've just deemed it not worth their effort. The level of work necessary to produce ~a Blizzard expansion pack~ is extreme. You're talking hundreds of staff for months to a year or longer, and for what, 40 bucks a head? Drop it to 20 after a year? Chances are the bean counters said gently caress it.