Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Proteus Jones posted:

Lol, at iClown keychain. You’re clever.

I'm sure Chinese users are big fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Welp, at least they'll still claim to be secure.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Potato Salad posted:

Has icloud keychain come up itt before?

everyone has bugs, it's about how you respond to them. apple patched it promptly when a researcher disclosed it to them. lastpass has a history of balking. (also FWIW the apple flaw was way less braindead than lastpass's mistakes. "sophisticated attacker MITMs you while your device is actively communicating to the mothership" versus "anyone visiting a website while using their extension gets owned".)

keechain is all about ease of use for non-technical people which makes it weaker by default than lastpass or keepass, but aside from that it's fine. the real problem is it doesn't make sense unless you live 100% in the apple ecosystem.

edit: oh yeah, and don't use anything from apple, google, or microsoft if you live in china and are afraid of your government, because they all bend over for the PRC

waloo posted:

How does this change, if at all, for somebody using a chromebook a lot?
it looks like there's a keepass chrome plugin that works for chromebooks

Klyith fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 25, 2018

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

waloo posted:

A small notepad with your passwords written down in it, preferably attached to or stored in your wallet.

This is infinitely less likely to get your poo poo stolen than using LastPass.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Anyone who continues to use and advocate for LastPass after everything that has been said in this thread is not worth saving. They're also a liability to the organisation they work for because they'll create problems elsewhere due to their inability to see the forest from the trees.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Right now, 1Password has the edge for me. I’ve used them for years, my group at work uses it. The development team actively engages its customer base and is quick to respond and disclose bugs. Hell, as seen earlier in the day, they already rolled in an update to their subscription based client to use the secure password check API with Have I Been Pwned. They’ve also stated they will roll this into the Watchtower service for non subscription customers in a future update.

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for a recommendation.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ElCondemn posted:

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for a recommendation.
Just in case it comes up in the future, how many times does someone need to tell you something before it sticks?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

anthonypants posted:

Just in case it comes up in the future, how many times does someone need to tell you something before it sticks?

Not sure, maybe if people weren't accusing me of being an idiot for asking legitimate questions it would happen pretty quickly. But I guess that's how y'all like to interact, it's an odd strategy to treat people like idiots to prove how smart you are.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ElCondemn posted:

Not sure, maybe if people weren't accusing me of being an idiot for asking legitimate questions it would happen pretty quickly. But I guess that's how y'all like to interact, it's an odd strategy to treat people like idiots to prove how smart you are.

You’ve been a member here for 13 years, how is this news to you?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Here was your question:

ElCondemn posted:

Proteus Jones posted:

Lastpass is a garbage fire, but what's wrong with 1Password? Or Keepass?
I don’t understand the issue people have with LastPass, sure they were hacked but my understanding is that they encrypt using your “master key”. So all you’d have to do to remain secure is not share your private key. Certainly it would be good to keep your vault secret too but it’s as safe as your keepass database would be if say your Dropbox was hacked...

Here was the response to your question:

wyoak posted:

LastPass's browser integration was found to be severely broken a couple times as well. They've had a bunch of flaws (some really dumb, some not so much) for a company based around security, which makes it hard for me to trust them.

Truga posted:

Also, the problem with lastpass isn't that they got caught with bugs, it's that they got caught doing really loving stupid poo poo, repeatedly. All software has bugs, but some exploits manifest from bugs, others out of incompetence. The kind of poo poo lastpass keeps producing is the latter ones.

Maybe they've fixed their poo poo recently, but we'll only know it when there's no more extremely dumb poo poo going on in their thing for the next 3 years.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

here's an audit publicised nov 15:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Here's a rundown of an audit publicised last month: https://www.martinvigo.com/even-the-lastpass-will-be-stolen-deal-with-it/
in there is a 2fa bypass and multiple ways of obtaining the vault key. in the june 2015 breach (note that i have to specify the date...)
https://blog.lastpass.com/2015/06/lastpass-security-notice.html/

quote:

Was my master password exposed?
No, LastPass never has access to your master password.

quote:

Were passwords or other data stored in my vault exposed?
No, your data is safe. Encrypted user vaults were not compromised, so no data stored in your vault is at risk
i want you to try and tie together that statement and knowledge after the fact of how abusable their system was. sure the master password itself wasn't, but you could get the vault and key for it, which is technically different.

in response to that rough audit they had the following to say:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Especially given their response to the issues presented.
that's 2015, it's not improved since.

cheese-cube posted:

It's not just that they were breached and that serious exploits were found in their software, it's that they responded to it in an extremely poor manner. These days it's more of a "when" than an "if" for companies being breached and/or their software being exploited. This means that they need to plan for these scenarios and know how to respond. The folks behind LastPass clearly did not plan for such a situation either through lack of understanding or not giving a gently caress. Either way, their lacklustre response to the incidents and their attempts to downplay them have shown that they don't give two fucks about security.

Also what Truga said.

Edit: and Wiggly Wayne.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Stanley Pain posted:

Wasn't the latest problem with LastPass something really stupid like having an API call that just let you dump all the login credentials and it was trivial to exploit or am I thinking of something else?
yeah, and if you used the binary version there's trivial code execution: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1209

Here was your dogshit interpretation of the problem:

ElCondemn posted:

So reading through your links the only really concerning bit is the custom_js stuff. I think most browser integrated password managers would have similar client side exploits. If your goal is perfect security then using anything that isn’t self hosted and air gapped is going to fall short of that. I think the trade off is probably worth it, at least for average users.

Enabling MFA in addition to using a password manager will mitigate most security concerns.

Maybe you have those people blocked but it was only after that point when people started calling you an idiot.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

waloo posted:

If you don’t mind paying for the cloud subscription then you can still use 1Password (X).

e: I use this on my Linux machines btw. I had it running just fine in both Chrome and Chromium. The only thing that’s annoying is that the default hotkey (ctrl alt \ or whatever) doesn’t work in Linux for some reason? Not a big deal but I don’t like change :(

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 25, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Burrito_Tim/status/967639428272459776

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Klyith posted:

1password, Keepass ..... iCloud keychain

Apple will expose your passwords. Again. And again.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I just use KeePass with the Kee extension for Firefox for matching passwords against the URL field. I'm not going to be super :tinfoil: about this.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Password Safe is still fine right? I use it at home with the safe file stored on a BitLockered iSCSI LUN because I don't really care about browser integration or cloud syncing or whatever. Works for me and pretty sure it's safe.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 25, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

KeepAss my passwords, secure documents, and heirloom jewelry like your father's watch.

Nation state actor couldn't crack this crack.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

anthonypants posted:

Here was your dogshit interpretation of the problem:

Maybe you have those people blocked but it was only after that point when people started calling you an idiot.

Please tel me what I’m saying thats dogshit or where I’m defending lastpass?

Sorry that I wasn’t explicit but I was trying to determine what made 1password or other options more secure. I’ve read the articles about lastpass but I wasn’t seeing any argument or article that showed why other options were immune or better than lastpass in those scenarios.

This isn’t D&D maybe you could afford to be less of an rear end in a top hat.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Lastpass is garbage. Therefore anything which isn't Laspass is significantly less garbage.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

...which articles did you decide to read and treat as more trustworthy than the responses in this thread?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ElCondemn posted:

Sorry that I wasn’t explicit but I was trying to determine what made 1password or other options more secure. I’ve read the articles about lastpass but I wasn’t seeing any argument or article that showed why other options were immune or better than lastpass in those scenarios.

So from my point of view you asked about password managers like LastPass and if you look at anthonypants's post you'll see that people gave you reasons for why LastPass was poo poo. Then you proceeded to stick your fingers in your ears and go lalalalala and assert that it wasn't poo poo because of reasons, which prompted someone else to say to you "looks like you're already invested in LastPass and nothing we say will matter."

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

ElCondemn posted:

Sorry. It's hard to not be aggressive towards obtuse people who are dangerous to themselves and others.

Do you understand why we are telling you that LastPass is garbage? Yes or no. And explain your answer.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

This thread has LastPass PTSD

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

So from my point of view you asked about password managers like LastPass and if you look at anthonypants's post you'll see that people gave you reasons for why LastPass was poo poo. Then you proceeded to stick your fingers in your ears and go lalalalala and assert that it wasn't poo poo because of reasons, which prompted someone else to say to you "looks like you're already invested in LastPass and nothing we say will matter."

I think it’s clear that people have strong opinions about lastpass, but nothing I said was ignoring the links or comments people posted, other than the insults and accusations that I’m a lastpass fan who’s a ”danger” to people.

I still think it’s fair to say that the client side issues are probably going to be common among browser integrated password managers. The server side stuff like the custom_js issue is very concerning and I’m definitely moving away from lastpass for that (among other) reason. However the core encryption model is still solid but the implementation and their response to issues seems to be a pretty big problem.

Nothing I’ve said is controversial, unless you’re a huge rear end in a top hat who thinks they’re a genius for making GBS threads on others.

Regardless of all of that if you’re goal is to get people to move to another option feel free to point out the flaws in lastpass but then maybe describe how an alternative does it better. making GBS threads on my original choice doesn’t do anything to fix the problem.

apseudonym posted:

This thread has LastPass PTSD

Clearly

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 25, 2018

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Stop using lastass or fuckoff?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

ElCondemn posted:

I still think it’s fair to say that the client side issues are probably going to be common among browser integrated password managers.

This is line of thinking that sets people off in this thread with LastPass. The client side issues are only common if the people building it are incompetent, and you probably don't want to run a password manager written by incompetent engineers.

LastPass is a special level of lovely and comes up often enough in this thread to cause us sadness.

I just use the built in chrome password manager/generation because lol.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i did mention them being repeatedly breached and ignoring that the attacker's had far more access and capabilities than pr said right

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

apseudonym posted:

This is line of thinking that sets people off in this thread with LastPass. The client side issues are only common if the people building it are incompetent, and you probably don't want to run a password manager written by incompetent engineers.

I don’t know about that, there are lots of common patterns in software design that turn out to be terrible. The good companies know this and update their software regularly to keep ahead of these problems. For example meltdown, heart bleed, this recent CSS issue, these things happen. It’s useful to know which companies deal with these issues properly and which don’t.

That’s not to say lastpass is following good modern design principals in the first place.

apseudonym posted:

I just use the built in chrome password manager/generation because lol.

I was using chrome previously but then everyone got a phone and wanted to share passwords with each other.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i did mention them being repeatedly breached and ignoring that the attacker's had far more access and capabilities than pr said right

Please respond to this ElCondemn

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Maybe I missed it in the articles that were linked but other than the custom_js issue they seem to have quickly resolved the server side issues (which again I said is one of the major reasons I'm moving away from them). The client side issues I believe are endemic to that security model, at the very least the client side issues didn't seem to be simple poo poo like checking the page title over the URI and required a compromised client to do things like intercept the master key. I can think of plenty of ways most other password managers could be compromised in the ways that the articles you linked have done, I haven't seen anyone post articles showing how other options are immune to these types of attacks (unless you count the run a VM to browse your email model as a valid solution).

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 25, 2018

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Unless you're being paid by Lastass things will surely get to a point where you have to take a step back and think "Wow, OK I'm sure stretching definitions and garbage to meet those pre-described sales points, is that even my responsibility anymore?"

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

ElCondemn posted:

I don’t understand the issue people have with LastPass, sure they were hacked but my understanding is that they encrypt using your “master key”. So all you’d have to do to remain secure is not share your private key. Certainly it would be good to keep your vault secret too but it’s as safe as your keepass database would be if say your Dropbox was hacked...
here's an audit publicised nov 15:
in there is a 2fa bypass and multiple ways of obtaining the vault key. in the june 2015 breach (note that i have to specify the date...)
https://blog.lastpass.com/2015/06/lastpass-security-notice.html/

quote:

Was my master password exposed?
No, LastPass never has access to your master password.

quote:

Were passwords or other data stored in my vault exposed?
No, your data is safe. Encrypted user vaults were not compromised, so no data stored in your vault is at risk
i want you to try and tie together that statement and knowledge after the fact of how abusable their system was. sure the master password itself wasn't, but you could get the vault and key for it, which is technically different.

in response to that rough audit they had the following to say:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Especially given their response to the issues presented.
that's 2015, it's not improved since.
the audit is after the breach, and the breach says that lastpass doesn't have access to the master password (technically true but read the audit the relevant key material can be obtained), and that no data stored in the vault was at risk when at the time they only encrypted parts of the vaults
you earlier acknowledged they were hacked but only seem to think that custom_js is the issue. all those statements just above that section on what lastpass could hypothetically do? those are what attackers on lastpass' infrastructure can do

ElCondemn posted:

Maybe I missed it in the articles that were linked but other than the custom_js issue they seem to have quickly resolved the server side issues (which again I said is one of the major reasons I'm moving away from them). The client side issues I believe are endemic to that security model, at the very least the client side issues didn't seem to be simple poo poo like checking the page title over the URI and required a compromised client to do things like intercept the master key. I can think of plenty of ways most other password managers could be compromised in the ways that the articles you linked have done, I haven't seen anyone post articles showing how other options are immune to these types of attacks (unless you count the run a VM to browse your email model as a valid solution).
which client side issues are endemic to the security model? you seem to enjoy convincing yourself that you're the only sane one here. once again there is no requirement for compromising the client to intercept the master key. you are completely misunderstanding what is happening and are not willing to explain your side at all. if you can "think of plenty of ways most other password managers could be compromised" then please do tell, we'd be lost without your wisdom in the matter.

can you elaborate on the requiring articles to explain why different password managers are immune to vague types of attacks? what if your concern in that area so it can be explained to you why that documentation doesn't exist, or why it does but you've just not used the correct wording to find it

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

ElCondemn posted:

I don’t know about that, there are lots of common patterns in software design that turn out to be terrible. The good companies know this and update their software regularly to keep ahead of these problems. For example meltdown, heart bleed, this recent CSS issue, these things happen. It’s useful to know which companies deal with these issues properly and which don’t.
These aren't good examples for defending poor software engineering practices, especially in their own product, it's just name dropping some bugs that got press lately. The CSS thing isn't even a bug.

Updates are a necessary but not remotely sufficient component for having a secure product. If you're product repeatedly has P0 security issues updating quickly doesn't forgive you not addressing the issues that let them happen in the first place. Doubly so if you're claiming to be a security critical product.

Repeatedly having the same class of vulns without trying to address the problem is irresponsible. You should expect your password manager to be proactively designed to be secure, which LastPass doesn't seem to be.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

you earlier acknowledged they were hacked but only seem to think that custom_js is the issue. all those statements just above that section on what lastpass could hypothetically do? those are what attackers on lastpass' infrastructure can do

I'm reading what you posted, you're just too stupid to understand what I'm saying about it. Honestly you really are an idiot who doesn't understand the difference between a client side exploit and a server side exploit.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

which client side issues are endemic to the security model? you seem to enjoy convincing yourself that you're the only sane one here. once again there is no requirement for compromising the client to intercept the master key. you are completely misunderstanding what is happening and are not willing to explain your side at all. if you can "think of plenty of ways most other password managers could be compromised" then please do tell, we'd be lost without your wisdom in the matter.

Web based authentication strategies are "secured" by the addition of SSL/TLS, it's trivial to hijack a session if you can MITM the session/cookie data. If your client is compromised you can do the same thing over a secure channel because one end is compromised. You can argue that they're doing stupid things (like keeping a local hash of a recovery key) but there are lots of companies that do this kind of thing and I'd guess some of them might be other password managers that I might use... which brings me to the next point

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

can you elaborate on the requiring articles to explain why different password managers are immune to vague types of attacks? what if your concern in that area so it can be explained to you why that documentation doesn't exist, or why it does but you've just not used the correct wording to find it

I don't require poo poo, I'm saying if you are die hard against LastPass and want people to move off it going on and on about how lovely it is isn't going to help someone make a better decision. I was hoping to find other articles explaining how an exploit that's possible through LastPass is mitigated by 1password/whoever. Because as I see it right now if nobody has spent the time to audit these other providers why should I assume they're doing the right thing? I didn't find any articles that did that kind of security comparison with my google searches.

cheese-cube posted:

Unless you're being paid by Lastass things will surely get to a point where you have to take a step back and think "Wow, OK I'm sure stretching definitions and garbage to meet those pre-described sales points, is that even my responsibility anymore?"

Good point, no reason to discuss security in a thread about security...

apseudonym posted:

These aren't good examples for defending poor software engineering practices, especially in their own product, it's just name dropping some bugs that got press lately. The CSS thing isn't even a bug.

It's not a bug, but lots of people were implementing software that didn't take into account the possibility of a CSS element modifying the DOM dynamically as a security concern. I'm also not defending poor software engineering practices, I'm just saying that poo poo comes up and often it's pointless to blame a company for not being able to predict the future.

apseudonym posted:

Updates are a necessary but not remotely sufficient component for having a secure product. If you're product repeatedly has P0 security issues updating quickly doesn't forgive you not addressing the issues that let them happen in the first place. Doubly so if you're claiming to be a security critical product.

Repeatedly having the same class of vulns without trying to address the problem is irresponsible. You should expect your password manager to be proactively designed to be secure, which LastPass doesn't seem to be.

This is just silly, look at all the CVEs that Cisco puts out, it's always the same type of poo poo and sometimes it's super critical. I'm not saying Cisco is the security standard we should aspire to, I'm just saying it happens and one way of determining whether you should jump ship or not is in how the company responds to the security concerns.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 25, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yes, everybody else is stupid and you're a genius. Just install LastPass and :toxx: on your passwords never getting exposed.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yes, everybody else is stupid and you're a genius. Just install LastPass and :toxx: on your passwords never getting exposed.

Totally what I'm saying...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

This attitude of “well I’m going to keep promoting insecure software because I demand you prove a negative first” is what makes much of this industry poo poo.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

This attitude of “well I’m going to keep promoting insecure software because I demand you prove a negative first” is what makes much of this industry poo poo.

Who's got that attitude? who's defending LastPass? I'm asking questions to make a decision about which other password managers I should be using.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ElCondemn posted:

Who's got that attitude? who's defending LastPass? I'm asking questions to make a decision about which other password managers I should be using.

“Just asking questions” and then ignoring the answers so you can smugly tell us all that no one will answer your questions correctly.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

“Just asking questions” and then ignoring the answers so you can smugly tell us all that no one will answer your questions correctly.

Really? Because I said I'm moving to 1password, not because everyone overwhelmingly agreed on it, but because maybe one or two people mentioned it and nobody went nuts over the suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You're not genuinely after a discussion, you're sealioning