Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Internet Kraken posted:

Does a Prawn with 4 storage modules have more or less carrying capacity than a seamoth with 4?

I'm kind of shocked that so many people have actually played this game to completion.

There are tons of duplicates. Same person saves right before right before completing. People who beat the game back to back over and over, putting in the same message to spam ... most likely to get more visible in the queue.

There are so many sea emperor, rocket, and spoiler images in these, and many are filled with garbage stuff. Like no screenshot, just asdf over and over.

It's kind of a shame.

Edit: actually as I do the math 76 million makes no sense. The game only sold what, 5 million copies? I might have to double check the data

nullEntityRNG fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Time capsules are just another less in why you never, ever give the internet the capability to do that sort of thing.

The internet ruins everything.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

What it actually needs is the ability to choose what time capsules you want to have the potential to find in your game.

Is there any way to hack out the capsule pool list and replace it with something shorter, by change?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have been on a bit of a suvival game kick recently, and I just started playing Subnautica yesterday. Previously I was playing Empryon: Galactic Survival and Ark. Compared to those two this game feel quite a bit more like a "structured" and singleplayer experience, which I am enjoying. The undersea is not your typical barren randomized survival area, its dense with interesting stuff to explore! There is a lot more focus on exploration and movement options in Subnautica, which I like. Small air tanks, flippers, advanced flippers, large air tanks, seaglide, etc. Every upgrade feels like a big accomplishment, and there are lots of them to find. I just built the Seamoth and my ability to explore has grown exponentially!

The music and atmosphere is absolutely fantastic, I love the Alterra AI (like hell I'm paying for that diamond :argh:). So far I have found lots of wrecked pods and stuff, but zero human corpses or living people. I expect I will not be seeing any at all. Corpses would ruin the atmosphere, and I don't expect I will be seeing any living NPCs. That would not fit either. Of course I found some kind of strange huge alien monolith, which I also was not expecting to see so who knows?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Does a Prawn with 4 storage modules have more or less carrying capacity than a seamoth with 4?

Well unless you are doing nothing but surface level stuff, it's going to be 3 storage mods tops because your depth module is basically mandatory otherwise.

That said, for raw storage space the Seamoth flips from competitive to beating the Prawn clean once you have three storage pods on it. 16/32/48/64. All are 4x4 grids which means any storage pod can handle extra scrap metal, grav spheres, plant samples, etc.

The Prawn starts with 24 space for free. But only gets a single row of +6 each mod. So you need to add two or four storage pods if your goal is to stuff extra scrap metal into it. Mods bringing it to 30/36/42/48

Obviously the Seamoth can't drill up materials. But I have found using the seamoth for a tour around the jellyshroom caves as I grab single bits off the ground and ignore the drill nodes to be waaaaaay faster for getting magnetite+lithium in particular. Scrap metal runs just loving leave the prawn at home, you'll have shoved 48 titanium worth of scrap into your seamoth, then even more into your pockets, in the time it takes a prawn to finish drilling up a single titanium node worth 8-16 titanium.

You'll probably want the prawn for anything more fancy than that though.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 24, 2018

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm kind of shocked that so many people have actually played this game to completion.

They haven't. If 76 million played this game, it would instantly be the most popular game of all time and every company on the planet would be racing to build Subnautica knockoffs.

Underwaterca
The Sims: Ocean Living
Water Monsters
Alien Oceans
Dark Souls V: Abyssal Darkness
Deep-Divin' with Abu Garcia
Battlefield 5: Underwater Assault
Archimedian Dynasty 2: Leviathans Return
Ariels Scary Excursions: A Little Mermaid Tale
The Incredible Machine: Watery Widgets
Subnautica Minecraft

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 24, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Section Z posted:

Well unless you are doing nothing but surface level stuff, it's going to be 3 storage mods tops because your depth module is basically mandatory otherwise.

Oh, they fixed the Seamoth so you can actually put more than 2 storage mods on it and have them count?

Used to be you only got the two lockers and that was it. So I never bothered putting more on it this time around :v:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They haven't. If 76 million played this game, it would instantly be the most popular game of all time and every company on the planet would be racing to build Subnautica knockoffs.

They should do that anyway. Having a pilotable vehicle that you can walk around in the interior of is something I never knew I wanted so much in a game. Like, how has no one made a spaceship game like that yet??

AFAIK only Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen (lol) have that as upcoming features

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Underwaterca
The Sims: Ocean Living
Water Monsters
Alien Oceans
Dark Souls V: Abyssal Darkness
Deep-Divin' with Abu Garcia
Battlefield 5: Underwater Assault
Archimedian Dynasty 2: Leviathans Return
Ariels Scary Excursions: A Little Mermaid Tale
The Incredible Machine: Watery Widgets
Subnautica Minecraft

I'm extremely down for Terror From The Deep-esque sequels

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

nullEntityRNG posted:

Edit: actually as I do the math 76 million makes no sense. The game only sold what, 5 million copies? I might have to double check the data

Uh, wouldn't 5 million be a huge success for a Kickstarted indie game? Steamspy says 2 million.

After a short hiatus I finished this today, great game.The last two achievements didn't trigger. :( Otherwise the only bugs I encountered were glitching through floosr a couple of times. I think I'll reload my save and build my base bigger, maybe colonize the Lost River.

Is it impossible to scan the Dragon Leviathan and Emperor Leviathan?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Is it impossible to scan the Dragon Leviathan and Emperor Leviathan?

No, yes.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Away all Goats posted:

They should do that anyway. Having a pilotable vehicle that you can walk around in the interior of is something I never knew I wanted so much in a game. Like, how has no one made a spaceship game like that yet??

AFAIK only Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen (lol) have that as upcoming features

Whats weird is when they added it to silent hunter it killed the franchise. Ive never really understood that or if it was the main complaint but a lot of people complained about it for sure.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DogonCrook posted:

Whats weird is when they added it to silent hunter it killed the franchise. Ive never really understood that or if it was the main complaint but a lot of people complained about it for sure.

No, what killed the franchise was them becoming increasingly bug ridden messes. I think when Silent Hunter 5 came out, most of the systems in the game didn't even work properly. Missions wouldn't start, or be completable, because things wouldn't spawn or trigger. Various stations on the subs were completely broken and didn't do anything, etc etc. Walking around the sub was fine, as it was optional and you could pop from station to station with hotkeys if you wanted.

Cold Waters is the closest you're going to get to a decent sub game these days, but it's very simplistic compared to the SH games, and the graphics are somehow worse than SH5 which is 8 years old at this point.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 25, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Away all Goats posted:

They have, its called Empyrion: Galactic Survival! :D
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849704
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFkmj3DuDgw

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Unfortunately Empyrion's vehicles are nowhere near as pretty as the Cyclops. It's the price they pay for being 100% customizable.

And by pretty I mostly mean 'the docking animation for the cyclops is neat as all heck I mean you can clearly see the bay from both the inside and the outside and when you go inside your thing is there and you can walk around it and oh man this is great' etc.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I go out exploring in my Seamoth and I get another transmission. It turns out a passing cargo ship "The Sunbeam" has heard my call, and all I need to do is meet them at the rendezvous site in 30 min. Looks like I'm getting rescued! :downs: (I know the Sunbeam is hosed, I haven't unlocked half the poo poo in this game no way its ending now). I head over there and arrive with 20 min to spare, so I explore that alien monolith thing. I find a bunch of glowing cubes inside and one orb thing that's going nuts. I scan it and the AI calls it a "Doomsday Device" that can destroy the entire solar system :magical:. I find another machine that tells me I'm infected with some alien plague, and it wont let me shut off the weapon because I am infected?!

I book it back to my escape pod, I'm hoping I can maybe tell the Sunbeam that this planet is hosed and don't land right now? Nope no such luck. I wait for a while but there is no option to talk to the Sunbeam. I head back to the rendezvous site in time to watch the tower thing turn into a giant gun and shoot down my rescue ship. Oh well I guess there will be more titanium salvage around for me to use now? :(

This game is amazing!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

EponymousMrYar posted:

Unfortunately Empyrion's vehicles are nowhere near as pretty as the Cyclops. It's the price they pay for being 100% customizable.

And by pretty I mostly mean 'the docking animation for the cyclops is neat as all heck I mean you can clearly see the bay from both the inside and the outside and when you go inside your thing is there and you can walk around it and oh man this is great' etc.

One time I was clearing energy suckers off of my Cyclops and after killing the one on the front window I forgot where the damage control console on the bridge said the rest were so I looked through the window to check it and holy poo poo the screen was still properly updated even though I wasn't on board at the time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do multiple prawn jump modules stack the effectiveness or fuel or anything for the jets? Debating what 4 upgrades i like.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Do multiple prawn jump modules stack the effectiveness or fuel or anything for the jets? Debating what 4 upgrades i like.

nope. upgraded jets and drill arm at least are mandatory, thermal power is nice for the endgame too

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Is that one of the on-release changes? gently caress. If there's anything that needs to be reverted for the sake of fun, its that. They def used to stack.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Jump jets absolutely do stack. I run 2x jump, 1 depth, 1 thermal power.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

my mistake :shrug:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Massive Spoilers

DUDE! Spoiler that poo poo!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People causally spoil even more than that in this thread on a regular basis. Its one of the problem with EA games. People that have played it for ages don't consider a lot of stuff to be worth hiding anymore because they've discussed it so much.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Okay so I was a complete idiot claiming 76 million time capsules. Turns out that my scraper would pull 100, record the values, pull another 100, then record the total of 200 on top of the 100 it already took... repeat until I hate myself. In fact from release till 2-11 there have been a recorded 90k time capsules done.

90k isn't as cool as 76 million though :(

Edit:
Fun facts while I crunched the data:
The thermo blade is in 17.84% of all capsules (16147 capsules)
4.61% (4172) of all capsules have no items in them.

nullEntityRNG fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 25, 2018

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Finally finished the story. Gotta agree that the last 5-10% of the game feels a little bit like a chore at the end. Though that was partially due to my own stupidity.

I took my seamoth into the Lost River and went into one of the sulphur streams or whatever they are. I managed to get stuck and disorient myself and then die before I could get out. I had left my Cyclops right at the last nice part of the lost river and the game respawned me back at my base next to my life pod. So there went 30-45 minutes rebuilding and then upgrading a new Seamoth. This was after finding out swimming to my sub was a no-go (I was about 200 yards away when I finally ran out of oxygen).

I think my two biggest gripes with the game The Alien Thermal Plant is a pain in the rear end to find and I had to look up some walkthroughs to finally figure out where it was. I get the game is pushing you to explore instead of spoon feeding you but it was the one place that felt like it was really hidden away whereas the final Alien facility I happened upon before I had even found the Degasi Grand Reef base.

Only other thing was at the end with the enzymes and the Neptune parts, it did feel a little fetch questy, but I really felt satisfied once I powered on all of the Neptunes systems.

Really hope this game gets some good DLC or something. I'd say the game is in my top five of games that I've played over the last five years or so. Well worth it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

+1 Time Capsule. Wonder if anyone'll get and appreciate the repulsion cannon, laser cutter and thermoknife. The Aurora Exploration Kit, I should have called it.

Fantastic game from start to almost-finish, the last 10% was kind of a dumb slog as echoed before in thread but it was still at least interesting to see all the things I missed as I trekked around.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

tonight's session ended with me getting trapped in fire in the Prawn Room and frantically alt-F4ing as I died. I'm too scared to go back and see how much progress I lost.

The fact that I turned off the 5-minute-save mod last night is some kind of weird prescient karma apparently.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

Finally finished the story. Gotta agree that the last 5-10% of the game feels a little bit like a chore at the end. Though that was partially due to my own stupidity.

I took my seamoth into the Lost River and went into one of the sulphur streams or whatever they are. I managed to get stuck and disorient myself and then die before I could get out. I had left my Cyclops right at the last nice part of the lost river and the game respawned me back at my base next to my life pod. So there went 30-45 minutes rebuilding and then upgrading a new Seamoth. This was after finding out swimming to my sub was a no-go (I was about 200 yards away when I finally ran out of oxygen).

I think my two biggest gripes with the game The Alien Thermal Plant is a pain in the rear end to find and I had to look up some walkthroughs to finally figure out where it was. I get the game is pushing you to explore instead of spoon feeding you but it was the one place that felt like it was really hidden away whereas the final Alien facility I happened upon before I had even found the Degasi Grand Reef base.

Only other thing was at the end with the enzymes and the Neptune parts, it did feel a little fetch questy, but I really felt satisfied once I powered on all of the Neptunes systems.

Really hope this game gets some good DLC or something. I'd say the game is in my top five of games that I've played over the last five years or so. Well worth it.

I'd say there are a few big problems with the endgame.

1. Exploring with the cyclops is less fun than exploring without it
Even ignoring that the endgame is all caves, it's a permanent movable spawn point. It's too irreplaceable for piloting it to be interesting while at the same time removing all danger from swimming outside.

2. The endgame is barren and linear
It's got pretty assets but there's only one new powerup (ion batteries) and only one two new resources (nickel and kyanite). You're just going down a linear corridor to the next plot point.

3. None of the vehicles fit the endgame
You're either playing Eurotruck no danger tunnel simulator or going in the prawn and building a base every time you want to fabricate something. The seamoth isn't even allowed.

When driving the seaglide, seamoth, or prawn, a leviathan is dangerous, which is interesting. When driving the cyclops, its inconvenient, which is less interesting than if there were no leviathan at all.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
My time capsule was all about early game Reaper mitigation. It has a cute effortpost, an ion Stasis Rifle and Seamoth sonar + zappy shield. I also tried real hard to get a very upsetting image of a reaper attack, and I think I found one

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Microcline posted:

I'd say there are a few big problems with the endgame.

1. Exploring with the cyclops is less fun than exploring without it
Even ignoring that the endgame is all caves, it's a permanent movable spawn point. It's too irreplaceable for piloting it to be interesting while at the same time removing all danger from swimming outside.

2. The endgame is barren and linear
It's got pretty assets but there's only one new powerup (ion batteries) and only one two new resources (nickel and kyanite). You're just going down a linear corridor to the next plot point.

3. None of the vehicles fit the endgame
You're either playing Eurotruck no danger tunnel simulator or going in the prawn and building a base every time you want to fabricate something. The seamoth isn't even allowed.

When driving the seaglide, seamoth, or prawn, a leviathan is dangerous, which is interesting. When driving the cyclops, its inconvenient, which is less interesting than if there were no leviathan at all.

Learning how to grapple effectively with the PRAWN alleviates a lot of these issues. It’s still tense avoiding Warpers and leviathans, but it’s a hell of a lot more fun than piloting a clunky sub around and hoping you don’t get rammed by a Ghost while you’re stuck in trees.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Double Punctuation posted:

Learning how to grapple effectively with the PRAWN alleviates a lot of these issues. It’s still tense avoiding Warpers and leviathans, but it’s a hell of a lot more fun than piloting a clunky sub around and hoping you don’t get rammed by a Ghost while you’re stuck in trees.

The problem is that the endgame expects you to be fabricating and upgrading, which means setting up new bases in addition to backtracking if you didn't read the wiki ahead of time. The solution would probably have been:

1. The cyclops has a depth limit of 200 meters but is otherwise invulnerable and can move at max speed with no penalties. It would fill a "mobile base" concept without trivializing diving and exploration. Ideally, it would also have a more bottom-facing cockpit design similar to the beluga or manta concept art (perhaps also incorporating the hatch) allowing for greater downward visibility.
2. The prawn and seamoth are now one vehicle with two modes, with the seamoth mode only safely usable above a certain depth.
3. Tablets don't need to be fabricated and don't take up inventory space.

Maybe also add a warpgate in the Disease Research Facility for easier access to the Lost River

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Microcline posted:

The problem is that the endgame expects you to be fabricating and upgrading, which means setting up new bases in addition to backtracking if you didn't read the wiki ahead of time. The solution would probably have been:

1. The cyclops has a depth limit of 200 meters but is otherwise invulnerable and can move at max speed with no penalties. It would fill a "mobile base" concept without trivializing diving and exploration. Ideally, it would also have a more bottom-facing cockpit design similar to the beluga or manta concept art (perhaps also incorporating the hatch) allowing for greater downward visibility.
2. The prawn and seamoth are now one vehicle with two modes, with the seamoth mode only safely usable above a certain depth.
3. Tablets don't need to be fabricated and don't take up inventory space.

What would this even accomplish apart from making the Cyclops even more unnecessary and removing all challenge from the game once you get your Seamoth/Prawn supervehicle?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I've found two Time Capsules so far, one had a few tools that were really loving handy to me (heatblade, laser cutter, some batteries) and the other had one major ingredient for the hatching enzymes

Also, I've just built my Cyclops and it's fun, feels very atmospheric having to use the cameras to look around.

Still looking for my last grappling arm fragment though. :(

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

As someone that had to turn on cheat codes in order to zip through the tombraider 2 water level (on like a 22'' 1990's tv screen) I think i spent about 8 hours before even leaving the safe shallows.

Stalkers freaked the hell out of me, though now i dont even consider them aggressive.

My first OHHH poo poo moment came from the radio message about the life pod that landed mid stern. Floating device activated but a big fish in the water.

I thought it landed on the other side of the Aurora. So i just casually swam my way around the back of the ship. Water is all murky and brown so i cant really see anything, so i pop my head up every now and then to make sure im still going the right way.
All of a sudden i see the tail of something passing infront of me. 'Thats just a stalker' i though. But it just kept on going, like this would have to be the biggest stalker.

I stop and instinctively back up a bit just as the head finally starts coming towards me and reaper leviathan name appears.

Wife told my to stop swearing as the neighbours can hear it.

I swam backwards all the way to my life pod where i finally paid my last respects to whoever was in pod i was going to.

My next one was a bit later. I had taken the Cyclops over to the dunes where a wreck was so i could get a part of the drill arm. Im running on slow with F1 open counting down to where i think i am close enough to search while being far enough away from the leviathan. I shut everything down and triple check all the cameras making sure everything. I head down the ladder and exit the cyclops and before i even start to make my way to the wreck i see a leviathan in the distance. So i got back in the boat. ><

As for time capsules, i think ive found about 4 or 5. I now have double of most basic equipment, though someone put 2 cuddle fish eggs in. I need to get my alien containment and see what these things are.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Meskhenet posted:

As someone that had to turn on cheat codes in order to zip through the tombraider 2 water level (on like a 22'' 1990's tv screen) I think i spent about 8 hours before even leaving the safe shallows.

I had to cheat when I was looting The Aurora. Twice in that place I ended up clipping through the terrain and falling into the "void world". Thank god for the console command that spawn you right outside of the Aurora entrance :v:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bhodi posted:

Jump jets absolutely do stack. I run 2x jump, 1 depth, 1 thermal power.

I tested it.

I don't see any improvement in jump height with two jump jets?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You (used to?) have twice the energy bar so you can boost for longer, is this something else they patched out for 1.0? It was super noticeable.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

lol why would my alien thermal plant visit cheevo not trigger? because i got my blue tablet from a time capsule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
If you guys are doing mods can we get one where the grappling hook works like it did in Just Cause?