Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I hope it features the Booster Gold/Blue Beetle/Guy Gardener Justice League. Who else was in that? Fire and Ice and Bloodstorm or whatever Martian Manhunter was calling himself in that guise.

Maxima was their big gun and to be fair she was near-Superman level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BP passed $700m worldwide and joins TFA, Avengers and Jurassic World as the only movies to make $100m in the second weekend (and had the second best second weekend ever) :eyepop:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

BP passed $700m worldwide and joins TFA, Avengers and Jurassic World as the only movies to make $100m in the second weekend (and had the second best second weekend ever) :eyepop:

But can we talk about the rhinos and spears some more.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm just saying, this movie that takes place in the same universe as the Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy is so unrealistic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

But can we talk about the rhinos and spears some more.

Rhyno's spear is called “The Gore” :eng101: but that feels like something you should know already

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

zoux posted:

I cannot believe Jurassic World made that much. That movie was poo poo.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, the profits movies make in general keep going up, so the most profitable movies ever made generally seem to be the last couple of major summer blockbuster types, no matter what they were about.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

twistedmentat posted:

It was not a good movie, but the first 45 minutes before the dinos escape is basically What-I-dreamed-of-as-a-child.txt, so I'm not at all surprised it did gangbusters.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Lobok posted:

Wakanda is an autocratic country, hiding itself and its capabilities from the outside world. A comic book movie where a whole country has a secret identity. It's also never been taken over nor has it taken over other countries (at least not since the invention of guns). Why would they produce guns? Not for export, because then their identity would be revealed.

So that leaves two options, one of which is defence of the nation. Except they obviously don't need guns for protection, and guns, because of ammunition, are inherently wasteful. The other option being to use to kill one other or rebel, which doesn't seem like a smart thing for a ruler to allow to happen but would also lead to a colossally counterproductive and wasteful internal arms race of vibranium bullets versus vibranium armour/shields.

The movie itself mentions that Shuri had to invent sonic barriers in order to allow vibranium to be transported at speed on their mag lev trains. Vibranium bullets would be too unstable, due to vibranium's property that allows it to absorb all force applied to it, i.e. how Cap can survive a blow from Mjolnir or a 20 story fall by landing on his shield. Vibranium bullets would probably shatter the gun they're in once fired.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

twistedmentat posted:

IIRC a lot of it has to do with the fact that for many countries this was the first time they were getting a Jurassic Park movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

achillesforever6 posted:

IIRC a lot of it has to do with the fact that for many countries this was the first time they were getting a Jurassic Park movie.

I thought those totals were just domestic, but that makes sense if their global totals.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

I thought those totals were just domestic, but that makes sense if their global totals.

They were domestic. Jurassic World did $208m domestic opening weekend and $106m its second weekend.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

They were domestic. Jurassic World did $208m domestic opening weekend and $106m its second weekend.

Ah, so it being the first JP movie in China didn't help it. Just people like watching dinosaurs eat people, and the worst kids in a movie for a long time didn't bother them, or any of the other cliches in it

Also looks like the Silver Sable movie is "indefinably delayed"
https://screenrant.com/silver-sable-black-cat-production-delay/

Maybe Marvel went "uh so we're going to use Black Cat in the next Spider-Man movie"

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
It’s kinda crazy how like every decision by Sony Pictures is so bad that any time you hear of their ideas being scuppered you go “That probably just saved them a whole shitload of money.”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nilbop posted:

It’s kinda crazy how like every decision by Sony Pictures is so bad that any time you hear of their ideas being scuppered you go “That probably just saved them a whole shitload of money.”
I saw the Venom trailer again in front of Black Panther, and that is seriously an awful way to introduce your movie. It tells you nothing. They don't even put the title on the screen at the end. It's just the Venom eyes/mouth which turns into a V. Nobody who is not a huge comic fan is going to get it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I saw the Venom trailer again in front of Black Panther, and that is seriously an awful way to introduce your movie. It tells you nothing. They don't even put the title on the screen at the end. It's just the Venom eyes/mouth which turns into a V. Nobody who is not a huge comic fan is going to get it.

I just get shocked that they dont even say venom in the end there. "Everyone has their own..... ..... ....demons"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

twistedmentat posted:

Look, we've been in such a severe dinosaur drought that most people will take anything.

I'd just like to get back to dinosaurs-as-animals.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We can all Agree that minus Goldblum, JP : Tragic Kingdom or whatever its called looks like crap? I imagine it now, people will say "well, the first bit is neat with them getting on the island and seeing the remains of everything, but it went to poo poo when the kids that stowed away ran off" or some other crap.

And yea, I have no idea what they're trying to do with Venom. They clearly want to sell it more "hey here's a mysterious movie starring Tom Hardy!" and not scare off the people who aren't into comic movies. But they want to also keep the comic book audiance because for some reason Venom is really popular outside of a Spider-Man villain. At least Black and Silver could of been an interesting Spy/Heist movie. I bet Marvel would have let them use AIM or Hydra as the target.

Man I want some god drat Bee Keeper AIM guys.

What's the next big thing that could get us a real Infinity War trailer? Its literally 2 months away at this point, you'd think they'd have kicked in high gear now that Black Panther is out. Maybe they're busy recutting trailers to make sure all the poo poo they love from BP is in Infinity War.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There was exactly one good Jurassic Park movie and we've been sliding down a very steep hill since.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
But maybe this one is the one that turns it around! Anyway, if I don't support dinosaur cinema, they'll stop making it.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

But maybe this one is the one that turns it around! Anyway, if I don't support dinosaur cinema, they'll stop making it.

At this point, it'd be a mercy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

twistedmentat posted:

We can all Agree that minus Goldblum, JP : Tragic Kingdom or whatever its called looks like crap? I imagine it now, people will say "well, the first bit is neat with them getting on the island and seeing the remains of everything, but it went to poo poo when the kids that stowed away ran off" or some other crap.
Yeah I have no interest in that

The first trailer was garbage, and the second one made it look like a horror movie? I have no idea what they are doing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Belatedly there's a pretty good explanation for armoured rhinos in Wakanda if you think about it - the existence of the EMP and Hijack disks seen in the film. Those clearly do work on Wakandan tech (Ross uses them on a Wakandan plane in the climax) whereas actual living animals would be immune.

The spears and swords can be explained also - the central criteria of Wakanda military tech is that it needs to not give away Wakanda's high tech status. A vibranium gun means you'd better track down every last vibranium bullet if you fire it. 'Ceremonial' weapons that conceal advanced functions, tribal cloaks that project energy shields, those are things that pass by outsiders. Observe that Ross was instantly interested in Klaue's energy gun (which is tech Wakanda has and uses within Wakanda) but he never stopped to question the spear.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 26, 2018

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Lurdiak posted:

There was exactly one good Jurassic Park movie and we've been sliding down a very steep hill since.
The Lost World was a pretty gentle slope in comparison to everything else

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you're keeping rhinos anyway might as well train them for combat.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Fangz posted:

Belatedly there's a pretty good explanation for armoured rhinos in Wakanda if you think about it - the existence of the EMP and Hijack disks seen in the film. Those clearly do work on Wakandan tech (Ross uses them on a Wakandan plane in the climax) whereas actual living animals would be immune.

The spears and swords can be explained also - the central criteria of Wakanda military tech is that it needs to not give away Wakanda's high tech status. A vibranium gun means you'd better track down every last vibranium bullet if you fire it. 'Ceremonial' weapons that conceal advanced functions, tribal cloaks that project energy shields, those are things that pass by outsiders. Observe that Ross was instantly interested in Klaue's energy gun (which is tech Wakanda has and uses within Wakanda) but he never stopped to question the spear.

Did they ever explain how Klause got his gun?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

McCloud posted:

Not specifically, but I understood it to be a modified sonic mining tool from Wakanda’s mines: they’re so advanced their power tools are super weapons to the outside world.

Some Wakandan tech seems to escape sometimes: otherwise there would be nothing for their spy networks to do.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

McCloud posted:

Yeah it's a modified mining tool.

It's a sonic(or just a kinetic force style) weapon, not a gun that shoots bullets too, which seems to fit in with how the mines are shown to work when we go there.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Klaue was working with Killmonger's dad, I guess he smuggled it out for him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Killmonger's dad died well before Klaue lost his arm, though I guess he could have modified a gun he already had.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Fangz posted:

A man wielding a vibranium shield beat the poo poo out of a dude wearing the most advanced combat armor on the planet, and it was JUST a shield, not a combination shield/sonic cannon. And it was specifically mentioned in the movie that they weave vibranium into clothing.

Gonna go out on a limb here and state that part of why they don’t need tanks is because everyone in their warrior caste could take down a tank or three with what they use to hunt antelope.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

achillesforever6 posted:

The Lost World was a pretty gentle slope in comparison to everything else

Don't make me post the kid kicking the raptor.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

Don't make me post the kid kicking the raptor.

Isn’t that the only instance of a human killing a dinosaur in the first three movies? I guess you can also count the very first raptor from the opening scene in JP1 but that’s off screen.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

That scene was awesome.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Malcolm's daughter was awesome imo

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

Psssh, if she's so awesome, why'd they cut her from the team?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Nah, all film children that stow away on dangerous trips are terrible. It's a stupid trope.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Phylodox posted:

Psssh, if she's so awesome, why'd they cut her from the team?

Michael Jordan was cut from the varsity squad in high school. Sometimes people are just blind to greatness.

[edit] The raptors in the tall grass scene in Lost World is good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Nah, all film children that stow away on dangerous trips are terrible. It's a stupid trope.

That's how X-23 ends up with Wolverine in Logan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Look if you don’t have the checks in place to make sure children aren’t accidentally sent on international trips with a ton of cargo then the fault is yours, not the kid.

• Locked thread