Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Eox posted:

I'm not too fond of Zizek either but good lord above I cannot wait to watch him publicly swirly Peterson

I have bad news about intellectuals faced with Gish gallops in public venues and how people perceive them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

ikanreed posted:

I have bad news about intellectuals faced with Gish gallops in public venues and how people perceive them

Yeah when I first heard about this my one question was "Debate about what?" Because usually when someone like Peterson asks someone to debate him he means "I talk for five minutes, then you talk for five minutes." Which always gives advantage to the one better at public speaking. Zizek will look like an aloof uncaring weirdo (Which he definitely is) and Peterson will look like a Man of The People.

However if it's a legit formal debate, with an impartial moderator, time limits on answers and questions with limited wiggle room, Zizek will swirly that clown and everyone knows it. Which is why so few of these dudes ever do formal debates.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
More about the recruitment process than the thinkers or their thoughts, but this thread is definitely of interest

https://twitter.com/MrHappyDieHappy/status/967027082537721856

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

prisoner of waffles posted:

More about the recruitment process than the thinkers or their thoughts, but this thread is definitely of interest

https://twitter.com/MrHappyDieHappy/status/967027082537721856

The way the internet can capture, magnify, and harness the misery of the mentally ill is one of the worst parts of it, yes

See: pro-ana blogs, Targeted Individuals, efilists/antinatalists, /r/incels and other portions of the alt-right...

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The way the internet can capture, magnify, and harness the misery of the mentally ill is one of the worst parts of it, yes

See: pro-ana blogs, Targeted Individuals, efilists/antinatalists, /r/incels and other portions of the alt-right...

I don't know anything about self-described antinatalists, but I've always felt that avoiding having kids was both cool and good.

Do these people promote storming maternity wards, committing wholesale atrocity or something?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Antinatalism is just nihilism with literary pretensions.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Antinatalism goes beyond "I don't want to have kids" to "Nobody should have kids."

I mean, overpopulation is a concern but I don't think crusading to lower the birth rate to 0 is the answer.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Antinatalism goes beyond "I don't want to have kids" to "Nobody should have kids."

I mean, overpopulation is a concern but I don't think crusading to lower the birth rate to 0 is the answer.

And then it generally goes beyond that to "feeling smugly superior to others for not having kids when they do" and "referring to children as 'crotchspawn' because you're so edgy"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
That's more childfree, antinatalism is more along the lines of "existence is sufficiently awful that inflicting it upon somebody without their consent is a terrible crime". Any of the stuff True Detective lifted from Tom Ligotti, for example.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Pope Guilty posted:

That's more childfree, antinatalism is more along the lines of "existence is sufficiently awful that inflicting it upon somebody without their consent is a terrible crime". Any of the stuff True Detective lifted from Tom Ligotti, for example.

Count Chocula, I think it was, on these forums is an antinatalist.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Avenging_Mikon posted:

In this thread even, I think.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Avenging_Mikon posted:

he was just mad at Frankenberry for leaving adoption brochures around

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
An obscurely specific question that nobody outside this thread will have the context to answer just popped into my head.

How do these idiots resolve the friction between loving soylent and having the kind of fans that use the word "soyboy"?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Soylent was named in reference to a dystopia that they desperately want

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
It looks like it's only recently included actual soy in the recipe, and the creator has enough of a DIY attitude that he's released the recipe and encourages people to mix their own if they want. Because buying potassium from a chemist supplier is totally the same as eating fruit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

It looks like it's only recently included actual soy in the recipe, and the creator has enough of a DIY attitude that he's released the recipe and encourages people to mix their own if they want. Because buying potassium from a chemist supplier is totally the same as eating fruit.

Don't worry, the poisonous algae and cadmium have all the missing micro-nutrients.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Eox posted:

Soylent was named in reference to a dystopia that they desperately want

Yeah. If you haven't seen the film (Soylent Green in case it wasn't clear) you really should. It's got a bit of 70s corniness (and of course the "twist" has been spoiled a million times over) but overall it holds up very well. It portrays a late-capitalist hell-hole where global warming has destroyed the environment to the point where the biggest source of food is plankton harvested from the sea and a few ounces of beef is an unimaginable luxury, and the 0.1% perpetuate a global conspiracy to retain their hold on society even if it means literally killing all life on the planet. Keep in mind this film was from the 70s! It also has one of the best-portrayed death scenes in movie history (the actor whose character was dying was himself dying IRL of cancer and Charlton Heston knew so he was barely acting).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr.Radar posted:

Yeah. If you haven't seen the film (Soylent Green in case it wasn't clear) you really should. It's got a bit of 70s corniness (and of course the "twist" has been spoiled a million times over) but overall it holds up very well. It portrays a late-capitalist hell-hole where global warming has destroyed the environment to the point where the biggest source of food is plankton harvested from the sea and a few ounces of beef is an unimaginable luxury, and the 0.1% perpetuate a global conspiracy to retain their hold on society even if it means literally killing all life on the planet. Keep in mind this film was from the 70s! It also has one of the best-portrayed death scenes in movie history (the actor whose character was dying was himself dying IRL of cancer and Charlton Heston knew so he was barely acting).

Not only was he barely acting, everyone on the set that day apparently cried because it was so real

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I cried watching it while unaware of the spoiler, and I am not ashamed to admit it. It's a good movie and entirely worth watching even with the main spoiler so thoroughly entrenched in pop culture.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

Not only was he barely acting, everyone on the set that day apparently cried because it was so real
Nope. He hid it from the production and nobody knew about it until after filming.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Hedenius posted:

Nope. He hid it from the production and nobody knew about it until after filming.
Your second sentence is probably right, but

quote:

I cried watching it while unaware of the spoiler
so I'm gonna say Myth Not Busted because it's true even if the crew was thinking "wow what a good actor, even I choked up a bit"

re: the choice of Soylent as a brand name, sometimes things are in a zone where I can't tell if they're sheer tone deafness or just an unfunny nerd joke that nobody gets, and in this case I think it's both.

Like I'm guessing his logic is "ACTUALLY, the original concept of 'soylent' as described by Harry Harrison was a generic food product made from nutrient-fortified biomass like soy and lentil that was a panacea for world hunger. HOWEVER, the rather inferior screenplay was focused on one specific variety of soylent called 'Soylent Green' which was primarily algae enriched with human flesh (unlike virtually every other variety of soylent), and the fact that people are unable to appreciate the difference is proof of their plebeian ignorance. *snort*"

Syd Midnight has a new favorite as of 15:43 on Feb 28, 2018

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
/r/slatestarcodex grapples with the question of why rationalists don't get the chicks. The responses will fail to surprise you!

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

divabot posted:

/r/slatestarcodex grapples with the question of why rationalists don't get the chicks. The responses will fail to surprise you!

:roflolmao:, do you have "very good facial aesthetics"? Otherwise you might be a secret rationalist.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

divabot posted:

One guy in there swears that the reason he doesn't have a girlfriend is because he has a suboptimal musk. :wtc:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

SolTerrasa posted:

One guy in there swears that the reason he doesn't have a girlfriend is because he has a suboptimal musk. :wtc:

He's certainly less successful than Elon.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
This isn't the best place to post this, but I didn't know where else to put it
https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/970815875635929088?s=21
I wish he would just stick to science

aware of dog has a new favorite as of 23:53 on Mar 6, 2018

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

aware of dog posted:

Preferably quiet science. Look at the moon and write down some math about it, you insufferable vest junkie.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

I think there's something sort of nice about a scientist going outside of his field of expertise and spouting harmless hippie bullshit. Usually when they go outside their field you wind up with assholes like Dawkins or Watson.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The problem is Tyson is an rear end in a top hat within his field as well, seeming to have a very "How dare people dumb-down science by making it fun!" elitist attitude.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BioEnchanted posted:

The problem is Tyson is an rear end in a top hat within his field as well, seeming to have a very "How dare people dumb-down science by making it fun!" elitist attitude.

Which, considering that he got famous by doing that kind of popularizing science stuff, is a really strange attitude to take.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

aware of dog posted:

https://twitter.com/jonnysun/status/970852351916552192

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tobermory posted:

I think there's something sort of nice about a scientist going outside of his field of expertise and spouting harmless hippie bullshit. Usually when they go outside their field you wind up with assholes like Dawkins or Watson.

Bah Gawd is that Jordan Peterson's music?!?!

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Which, considering that he got famous by doing that kind of popularizing science stuff, is a really strange attitude to take.

The world is still waiting for Carl Sagan's heir apparent as the grand poobah of science popularization & apologia. The existence of the internet makes the position all the more vital, as a limiting force on I loving LOVE science. Are we stuck between Tyson and Bill Nye right now? I'd think a more vital qualification than charisma would be a reluctance to spout off outside ones field without consulting the relevant experts to learn the actual consensus, instead of just winging it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

My impression has always been that he's not so much down on the fun as he's incapable of understanding how raw science isn't inherently fun for most people. Dude is really hype about science, and thinks that just sharing the facts is all he needs to get other people hype, and that's really, really not the case.

ETA: See also Christian evangelists who assume that all you have to do is tell people Jesus exists.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
There was a dark time a year or two ago where Tyson's pedantry got so bad, idiots would try to convince you Sam Kriss had a good piece on him

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Was he always this bad? I seem to remember him being a perfectly fine TV Science Guy a few years ago, did that just go to his head or something?

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

Was he always this bad? I seem to remember him being a perfectly fine TV Science Guy a few years ago, did that just go to his head or something?

Same here. I remember his Startalk podcast being perfectly listenable. I think I stopped listening only because they started putting out lots of clip shows instead of new stuff.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
He doesn't stay in his lane and he's not nearly erudite enough to have good opinions on anything other than astrophysics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I just liked when he was the pig on Gravity Falls :sigh: