Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The new translation adds some good stuff, like everyone getting drunk af at Ayla's party, and Ayla being bi. Otherwise it's just Woosley's script with a few more words added to make it a lil more verbose, from what I remember. Losing Frog's speech style sucks a lot.

I love the animu cutscenes, myself, but I loved them since the PSX port, and I love the ending one leading into CC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The DS version is the only one close to being good because you can very very easily get hundreds of speed tabs and then solo the entire game with Lucca as she casts 3-4 flares per enemy turn.

Also there's a new ending that leads to Chrono Cross, the good chrono game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Mods!?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The Virgin Crono vs. The Chad Serge

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Say what you will about Sephiroth.... he wasn't very good at acupuncture.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

lobster22221 posted:

Say what you will about Sephiroth.... he wasn't very good at acupuncture.

Counter-point

He was too good at it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Now, now. Don't be silly.

They're equally good. That's why I count them as one game whenever I make a list of my fave games.

(CT is undeniably a better made game and way more concise and polished, but I think CC makes up for being a bit sloppy and overcrowded b/c it has dope ideas, amazing music and visuals. It's just executed badly-- especially the exposition dump at the end that explains everything. Def could have been handled better!)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Chrono Cross is 66% percent of an excellent game. If they'd had time to finish the plot, actually give sidequests and dual techs to the huge cast of characters (it's possible to finish the game without even knowing those exist), and make it clear that the good ending brings Crono and pals back to life (it seems obvious to me that this was the case but it bothered a lot of people so let's fix it) you'd have a game as good as Chrono Trigger.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

esperterra posted:

They're equally good. That's why I count them as one game whenever I make a list of my fave games.

(CT is undeniably a better made game and way more concise and polished, but I think CC makes up for being a bit sloppy and overcrowded b/c it has dope ideas, amazing music and visuals. It's just executed badly-- especially the exposition dump at the end that explains everything. Def could have been handled better!)

Cross beats it out for me because the gameplay is relatively more engaging and fun and since that's how you spend at least half of these 40 hour RPGs it kind of blows Trigger out of the water.

Cross is a big mess of really interesting ideas and I way prefer that over the simple, kind of boring but extremely well made game that Trigger was.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rand Brittain posted:

Chrono Cross is 66% percent of an excellent game. If they'd had time to finish the plot, actually give sidequests and dual techs to the huge cast of characters (it's possible to finish the game without even knowing those exist), and make it clear that the good ending brings Crono and pals back to life (it seems obvious to me that this was the case but it bothered a lot of people so let's fix it) you'd have a game as good as Chrono Trigger.

Hell, just cut down the cast. It's a fun gimmick and all but having 44 characters really fucks over development for the 8 or so who are actually relevant and important to the plot.

e: ^^ I also prefer CC in a sense, myself. Especially in the combat department and it gating your experience growth to avoid letting people grind super hard or anything.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

esperterra posted:

I definitely prefer Trigger's focus. Each character having a more well defined and unique use seems better than each character having 3 unique spells(half of which are just damage spells) and maybe a gimmick if they are lucky. There are some characters that I'd guess nobody ever uses.

Still, I love the islands setting. The ps1 graphics have not aged as well as Triggers incredible spritework, but the art direction is great so it still has some parts that are pretty. Both games have incredible soundtracks too.

If Square were to make a new Chrono series entry, where would it's story even go? CT covered Time, and Cross covered Space.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

esperterra posted:

8 or so who are actually relevant and important to the plot.

and half of them are split-path decisions lol

i hope you didn't want to save kid because glenn, oh boy, glenn.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The White Dragon posted:

and half of them are split-path decisions lol

i hope you didn't want to save kid because glenn, oh boy, glenn.

gently caress I feel guilty every time I do it, and I've played the game like 20+ times by now. But lol why would I pass up the ability to use Glenn. He's so good. Esp when you dual wield Einlanzers.

e: also just as an aside, I love how much Cross focuses on Schala. She was such a good character in CT and I loved their going back to her and telling us what happened to her after the Undersea Palace, and letting us technically play as her via Kid. Schala's a baller.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 25, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Cross beats it out for me because the gameplay is relatively more engaging and fun and since that's how you spend at least half of these 40 hour RPGs it kind of blows Trigger out of the water.

Cross is a big mess of really interesting ideas and I way prefer that over the simple, kind of boring but extremely well made game that Trigger was.

That's kinda how I feel about Legend of Mana, except I think its gameplay is terrible but love everything else so much that I don't loving care.

Though I couldn't connect to Cross's gameplay at all. CT is pretty basic and simple as far as jRPGs go, but the positioning stuff was kinda neat, and even if it's not the first to do Dual/Triple Techs, I like the effort they put into them. As for CC, while I do like the idea of having certain abilities being limited per battle, the element system just falls flat for me and I couldn't really engage with it. The variety of characters is great at first glance, but the novelty wears off quickly once you realize plot-wise there's no difference between the space alien and Ayla's 6-year-old mom and the skeleton clown and the guy who turned into a mushroom. If they removed boring characters like Glenn, Not-Magus, and every piece of poo poo whose name ends with "CHA" and instead developed the weirdo characters more it would've been significantly better.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also, Radical Dreamers is dope as hell and anyone who hasn't played it should play it b/c it's super neat.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You give me a voodoo doll, a luchador, a sentient flower person, a baby dragon, a cyborg, a sentient turnip person, and multiple drunks, and tell me I can only use two of them?

What the gently caress, Chrono Cross.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Agreed, I liked Radical Dreamers the one night I played it long long ago.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Mega64 posted:

You give me a voodoo doll, a luchador, a sentient flower person, a baby dragon, a cyborg, a sentient turnip person, and multiple drunks, and tell me I can only use two of them?

What the gently caress, Chrono Cross.

3 on ng+ isn't it?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lobster22221 posted:

3 on ng+ isn't it?

Yeah, NG+ lets you substitute Serge out for someone else during battle.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

esperterra posted:

Also, Radical Dreamers is dope as hell and anyone who hasn't played it should play it b/c it's super neat.

And way more fun than playing Chrono Cross.

esperterra posted:

The new translation adds some good stuff, like everyone getting drunk af at Ayla's party, and Ayla being bi.

Weren’t those in the Japanese script, then removed to be appropriate for a Nintendo release? (“appropriate” meaning “ducking as many censors as possible”)

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 25, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

and every piece of poo poo whose name ends with "CHA" and instead developed the weirdo characters more it would've been significantly better.

they were included because the devs wanted to make a series of characters who are puns about tea that is completely lost in every country that isn't japan

no, i'm not kidding

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

esperterra posted:

Hell, just cut down the cast. It's a fun gimmick and all but having 44 characters really fucks over development for the 8 or so who are actually relevant and important to the plot.

Yeah, that's the grown-up decision but since we're already doing pie-in-the-sky here, why not go whole hog?

Speaking of bad decisions, why the hell is there not a decent remake of the Mana games for Switch with local multiplayer? Or a spiritual sequel with the same general combat system? It would have been even more fitting for the DS, but it's still good here!

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hello from Europe, where the DS version of Chrono Trigger was the first version to see an official release here.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Hello from Europe, where the DS version of Chrono Trigger was the first version to see an official release here.

That's depressing tbh.

It's a good version of the game but RIP.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Speaking of bad decisions, why the hell is there not a decent remake of the Mana games for Switch with local multiplayer? Or a spiritual sequel with the same general combat system? It would have been even more fitting for the DS, but it's still good here!

They made a collection of the first three Mana games then made them Japan-only :negative:

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

That's depressing tbh.

It's a good version of the game but RIP.

We're still waiting on Chrono Cross

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

We're still waiting on Chrono Cross

Cross you could at least get away with playing on PS3, no? Pretty sure it being region free extends to the PS1 compatibility, but I may be wrong.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Please play Radical Dreamers.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

^^^^^^^^

e:
Kid is a thief, of course.
Not even seventeen years old, already she's widely renowned as a top
professional. To make matters worse, she's cute, devilishly stylish, and has a
sparkling personality. And boy, can she cook... if you ask her, that is.
Well, to be completely honest, she has her share of problems as well. She likes
to think of herself as a kind of Robin Hood, stealing from the rich and giving
to the poor, but that's just not the case.
At times her sharp tongue can get the best of her, viciously lashing out at
anyone who stands in her way. She exaggerates every other word, and sometimes
lies outright... and as for listening to other people, well, forget it.
When it comes to money, well, I've never met anyone greedier in my life. Her
relentless pursuit of wealth is ironic, considering she's a nomad, like me...
I don't know, maybe I'm being too hard on her. She has her good points, too.
She can really shine sometimes, when she wants to...

"Not bad, Serge... not bad at all," Kid says, catching my eye.
A few moments pass, and... she's still staring at me, smiling. Oh man, what do
I do? Should I say something?
"...Uhh, heh..."
I look away after a nervous moment, but full of glee. I can never handle this
kind of thing -- those baby blues of hers get me every time...

k-kawaii ....

esperterra fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 25, 2018

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mega64 posted:

That's kinda how I feel about Legend of Mana, except I think its gameplay is terrible but love everything else so much that I don't loving care.

Though I couldn't connect to Cross's gameplay at all. CT is pretty basic and simple as far as jRPGs go, but the positioning stuff was kinda neat, and even if it's not the first to do Dual/Triple Techs, I like the effort they put into them. As for CC, while I do like the idea of having certain abilities being limited per battle, the element system just falls flat for me and I couldn't really engage with it. The variety of characters is great at first glance, but the novelty wears off quickly once you realize plot-wise there's no difference between the space alien and Ayla's 6-year-old mom and the skeleton clown and the guy who turned into a mushroom. If they removed boring characters like Glenn, Not-Magus, and every piece of poo poo whose name ends with "CHA" and instead developed the weirdo characters more it would've been significantly better.

See the positioning and enemy phase stuff is why I can't stand replaying Chrono Trigger. So much of making combat go quickly is being able to hit enemies in groups and there's no way to actually manipulate that so you just end up waiting 3-5 seconds on every dual tech to hit as many people as possible so a big chucnk of gameplay becomes just waiting.

Waiting of enemies to become hitable, waiting on enemies to move together, waiting for the animation on a dual/triple tech you've seen hundreds and hundreds of times to finish. As neat as they were the first time they get so boring so fast becaues they're mostly what you're using in combat that's not normal attacks. Cross at least gave you like 40+ people with 3 unique spells on top of the generic elements so if you got bored there were more to see so you could just swap out Mojoy for the Turnip.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I always liked the bit where Kid and Serge are hiding under a table or something and Serge totally forgets to stop hiding because he's just staring at her lips. What a doofus.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I'm glad we all agree that Cross is a masterpiece even with (and dare I say, because of?) its flaws.

Now let's move on to our next discussion: Hoe much the Xeno____ games all such especially Gears.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Radical Dreamers is honestly a great primer to play before CC, imo. Serge is a great character and I think it suits his portrayal to lift some of that characterization from RD into CC. His being a silent protagonist is kind of a given as a CT sequel but I wish they'd done away with that so we could have more of the silly doofus he is in RD.

ngl CC focusing so much more on the love story than CT did is a big part of why I hold it in such high regard. Kid and Serge are A+.

e: also CC has Harle who is loving amazing and should be in every video game

e2: tho thinking about it more, RD would spoil some of the best bits of CC, like the Lucca stuff (goddamn dat flashback is heartwrenching, and when you get to play through it later) or the Kid reveal

esperterra fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 26, 2018

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Please play Radical Dreamers.

radical dreamers secretly the best 'chrono' game

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Is this where I can ask a question about FFXV?

Just picked the game back up after not having played it since it first came out, I’m really enjoying the changes, namely the monster truck.

Question is though I seem to have missed the Assassins Creed crossover event. Is there any info of it coming back anytime soon or am I too late? I googled around some and couldn’t find a definitive answer.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

There's no news on whether it'll come back. The Choco-Mog Festival did come back once after its initial run (but it was time-limited again), so the AC one coming back isn't totally out of the realm of possibility. You just have to wait and see but until then the answer is no, it's done and gone.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Got it, thanks.

Any other big changes I should be aware of? I’m playing through NG+ and just got to the Chocobo farm. Biggest things I’ve noticed so far is the new car obviously and also the ability to have more than one hunt going on at a time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

they were included because the devs wanted to make a series of characters who are puns about tea that is completely lost in every country that isn't japan

no, i'm not kidding

Well China would have gotten it... but no, not really.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
1) daryl's sprite looks kind of like celes who, presumably, looks like maria--she's his type
2) the bird that flies to maranda after you get the airship is one of the homing pigeons for the carrier service that used to run there

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Mega64 posted:

They made a collection of the first three Mana games then made them Japan-only :negative:
One day they will bring SD3 outside japan
Theatrythm had a song from it, so there IS hope.