Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Galick posted:

Yep! I 100%ed both, actually. I have a huge thing for these kinds of games.

Have you played Just Cause 2 or 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
AssCreed Black Flag is working great for this, thanks guys! I'll look at Far Cry and Just Cause later too. Mad Max too, definitely.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I've gotten the itch for a party based hack-and-slash like Dungeon Siege, but I'm coming up short on examples. Something real-time and fairly combat heavy with RPG elements and a loot treadmill. Co-op's a plus but it's not a dealbreaker -- I'd mainly be playing single player.

Edit: Oh, err, preferably PC, though I wouldn't say no to PS4, 3DS or Switch if it's good enough.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 25, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I've gotten the itch for a party based hack-and-slash like Dungeon Siege, but I'm coming up short on examples. Something real-time and fairly combat heavy with RPG elements and a loot treadmill. Co-op's a plus but it's not a dealbreaker -- I'd mainly be playing single player.

Edit: Oh, err, preferably PC, though I wouldn't say no to PS4, 3DS or Switch if it's good enough.

Dungeon Siege II

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I have a rather vague but at the same time probably overly specific request: Any recommendations for a non-Dark Souls game with a large number of weapons and gear to collect, where the gear/loot is more interesting than just numerical bonuses? Genre isn't relevant, ideally for PC but I also have all the previous generation consoles if anyone has some good older rec's.

The reason I mention Dark Souls specifically is because that's the kinda thing I want, where looting stuff on the map is usually something interesting or useful.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Castlevania: SotN had lots of weapons with weird effects.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Castlevania: SotN had lots of weapons with weird effects.

Hah, yeah, SotN is literally my favorite game ever. I replay it every year near my birthday. But yeah, you got the general idea. I suppose I could play some of the other Castlevanias from that era, I don't think I ever beat Portrait of Ruin.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The problem is that when you make lots of weapons that work differently from each other besides just stats, while it's really really cool, it's also a lot of "wasted" effort when you consider how many weapons barely get used in the end by most people.

And yeah, I loooove when they put the effort to do it, but I can completely understand why most games wouldn't have that.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The problem is that when you make lots of weapons that work differently from each other besides just stats, while it's really really cool, it's also a lot of "wasted" effort when you consider how many weapons barely get used in the end by most people.

And yeah, I loooove when they put the effort to do it, but I can completely understand why most games wouldn't have that.

I know it's a really rare thing, which is exactly why I decided to ask about it in this thread. Figured maybe someone would know one I missed.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dead Cells is what you're looking for, don't be worried by it being Early Access. It has a very Dark Souls / SotN vibe and the weapons are radically different and all change the way you play.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Dead Cells is what you're looking for, don't be worried by it being Early Access. It has a very Dark Souls / SotN vibe and the weapons are radically different and all change the way you play.

Oh gently caress right, I keep forgetting I should get that.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Dungeon Siege II

Yeah, I'm aware of that (and III). Looking for other games that kind of get at what the first and second games did.

I have done a bunch of looking around on my own. Hell, between my last post and now, I picked up Aarklash: Legacy thinking it'd be something in that vein. Not so much -- it's Tyranny with MOBA characters with very little customization.

To make another comparison: I'm looking for something ARPG-y like Diablo (or its sequels) or Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (and its sequel), but with a small party of folks.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I have a rather vague but at the same time probably overly specific request: Any recommendations for a non-Dark Souls game with a large number of weapons and gear to collect, where the gear/loot is more interesting than just numerical bonuses? Genre isn't relevant, ideally for PC but I also have all the previous generation consoles if anyone has some good older rec's.

The reason I mention Dark Souls specifically is because that's the kinda thing I want, where looting stuff on the map is usually something interesting or useful.

The Binding of Issac: Afterbirth might also fit the bill here

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Dead Cells is real fun. It controls really smoothly and you feel like a badass when you get into the flow of things. The devs have been pretty active on the game both from a content and polish angle, so don’t let the Early Access title scare ya off.

As you’d expect from a dark souls inspired roguevania it IS kinda hard. Prepare to die a lot. But the ongoing progression mechanics (weapon unlocks etc) make your subsequent runs pretty fresh and there are general rules of thumb regarding the dungeon layout that you’ll start to learn.

E: You mentioned Diablo. Have you played Torchlight 2? It’s very diabloesque but the classes are p original and it’s a fun looter (with co op!)

Sixto Lezcano fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 25, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

Salt and Sanctuary is basically a 2d sidescrolling Dark Souls.

Also, Monster Hunter World has 14 different weapon types, and they are have incredibly different and complex playstyles.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Salt and Sanctuary is basically a 2d sidescrolling Dark Souls.

Also, Monster Hunter World has 14 different weapon types, and they are have incredibly different and complex playstyles.

I've played and somewhat enjoyed S&S but it is pretty rough around the edges. I do want to play MHW, but like I said I only have older consoles so I'm waiting for PC and it's not quite what I'm searching for anyways.

On the other hand, Dead Cells does somewhat fit the bill, it's moved to the top of my wishlist.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Infinity Gaia posted:

I know it's a really rare thing, which is exactly why I decided to ask about it in this thread. Figured maybe someone would know one I missed.

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 25, 2018

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Infinity Gaia posted:

While it's not a huge amount, Bayonetta has a bunch of weapon types that you can either fit into hands or feet slots to get different attack patterns out of.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I love XCOM and XCOM-likes. What am I missing from this list?

(also yes I know some of those XCOMs aren't XCOMlikes, but I want them organized)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cast your eye over to GOG and get Incubation, Laser Squad Nemesis and Shadow Watch. Also your list doesn't have Battle Brothers for some reason, I can only assume you forgot to categorise it. Steam Marines maybe but I couldn't really get into it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Cast your eye over to GOG and get Incubation, Laser Squad Nemesis and Shadow Watch. Also your list doesn't have Battle Brothers for some reason, I can only assume you forgot to categorise it. Steam Marines maybe but I couldn't really get into it

:doh:

It's not there because it's in the Perfection section and I forgot to give it a second category.

Also, thanks! I've never heard of any of those. (Except for Steam Marines)

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

(also yes I know some of those XCOMs aren't XCOMlikes, but I want them organized)

Valkyria chronicles?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Valkyria chronicles?

I need to actually install that one and give it a go.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Would the Shadowrun games be kind of close enough?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

AnimalChin posted:

Would the Shadowrun games be kind of close enough?

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh kind of, but they're so story-focused it's tough to put them in there. And the combat itself is so slow and janky that I don't like to count it. So.

Best case scenario I stick 'em in both the RPG and XCOM category, but it's my library so they can stay in the RPG category. Thanks for the rec, though!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's Attack of the Earthlings, where you're kind of a Zerg-anid-morph whose planet was invaded by a human mega-corporation. I only played the tutorial level which seemed neat enough, but it's way more linear than XCOM.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also, Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate, but is a pain in the rear end to make it run on windows 10.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It's not particularly difficult or long, but attack of the earthlings is hilarious.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Also, Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate, but is a pain in the rear end to make it run on windows 10.

Is that a literal X-COM clone but with Warhammer? :eyepop:

Zanzibar Ham posted:

There's Attack of the Earthlings, where you're kind of a Zerg-anid-morph whose planet was invaded by a human mega-corporation. I only played the tutorial level which seemed neat enough, but it's way more linear than XCOM.

It's on the wishlist! It came out at a bad time, as my games money was tied up in many other things. (Trails in the Sky 3rd, see)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Are there games (that's generally considered good, though if any exist I'd like to know) that's like X-COM gameplay-wise, but from the invaders' point of view? I heard the 2nd half of X-Com Apocalypse sorta does that, but I'm looking more into a game where your side doesn't even have the excuse of doing it for revenge.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is that a literal X-COM clone but with Warhammer?

The soundtrack is better than the game. It is very, very slow and clunky.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Are there games (that's generally considered good, though if any exist I'd like to know) that's like X-COM gameplay-wise, but from the invaders' point of view? I heard the 2nd half of X-Com Apocalypse sorta does that, but I'm looking more into a game where your side doesn't even have the excuse of doing it for revenge.

Jagged Alliance 2, kinda. You're the invading squad dropped on this island of defenders.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Booooooooooooooo

e: actually lemme think

Games where you're the small team of invaders busting into places: All Walls Must Fall, Doorkickers, Invisible Inc, Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm(?), Strain Tactics.

Games where you're an organization like X-COM busting into alien worlds: ..... Apocalypse is the only thing coming to mind, sorry. :(

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 25, 2018

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

It's true that is slow, the maps are huge. The UI itself is no more clunky than the 3 original X-Com games, but I agree on the camera, it's bad. Still, if you are really a fan both of 40k and X-Com, I'll give it a shot.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want a good shoot mans like Star Wars Battlefront 2, the good one, not the new one.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

I want a good shoot mans like Star Wars Battlefront 2, the good one, not the new one.

Angels Fall First is pretty good.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dang... Well, maybe that upcoming WH 40K Mechanicus thingy will be like that, and also good?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

StrixNebulosa posted:

Battle Brothers

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

There's a bunch of (relatively) recent F2P multiplayer tank games -- World of Tanks, Armoured Warfare, War Thunder, and probably one or two others I'm forgetting. The two I've played (WoT and AW) fall into the sweet spot on the sim<->arcade axis for me: the simulation is fairly detailed, taking into account shot travel time, armour slope and thickness, positional damage, crewmember injury, field repairs, ammo loading/changing time, and so forth, but the controls are pretty simplified and abstract, basically boiling down to FPS controls to move the tank and aim the gun and a few hotkeys for switching ammo types or scope magnification. And the fact that you steadily unlock new tanks (and tank-destroyers and artillery) and new variants of or equipment for existing tanks means you never get bored of any one vehicle.

So my question is: are there any singleplayer games like that? There's lots of multiplayer games featuring tanks in various roles, there's stuff like Battlezone 1&2, there's FPSes that have one-off tank levels, but are there any games that are basically WoT/AW except it's a singleplayer campaign?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Well, you've got the Mechwarrior series. They're just walking tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Well, you've got the Mechwarrior series. They're just walking tanks.

Yeah, I've played MW4 (although I should get around to playing Mercenaries one of these days) and Battlezone 1 & 2. Should have mentioned that.