Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

My experience so far is that, in practice, it just doesn't matter.
(Unity scaling is nuts, though- I'm waiting two-three decades between each tradition now, I'm never going to get my last three ascension perks.)

Very much my experience too, I can pace on tech just fine even with minimal colonization due to being a gaia start, it's just unity that really suffers from expansion. I think it's interesting because presumably if I was more penned in, I would be able to fortify up and really push unity until I got megastructures and then build a super tall empire. Minerals would be a bugger though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, but as I said, expansion and exploitation of the resources in new systems is always desirable in almost any situation unless you have something else existentially critical to do with the up front costs. The question is how good it is which is fairly academic and can be easily substituted with "pick the systems with the biggest numbers first"

Like, you can work it out down to the last unit but there's no reason to other than curiosity.

I don't know if it's so clear-cut. Yes, I do believe it should be very possible to keep up on tech costs while expanding relentlessly. But Unity is a different story, and I suppose it depends on just how valuable unity is to you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unity is the opposite, really, because nothing in space gives you unity, if you want to pursue unity you want to expand as little as possible and max out your unity production on planets. Your limiting factor there is how many planets you can get before the +20% modifier per planet becomes more than you can generate, and that's arguably mostly dependent on whether you have access to the artisan troupe.

Space is for everything but unity, unity at this point is probably more of a gimmick for very small empires. Most people will pick up a tree or two but if you want to really fill them out you want to go small.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 26, 2018

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

:getin:

Edit: Titans are a PITA in the fleet designer. It won't recognize my current design as the titan that is actually in the fleet, no matter what. So okay, I decide to remove the design and add it back, see if that fixes it. Except I can't even add any more Titan designs to the fleet because I'm at my Titan cap. Because there's a titan in my fleet that the game doesn't recognize, except when it does to annoy you.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 26, 2018

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

So about how much fleet power should I have before tackling the crystalline asteroid system? That 36 minerals is calling my name..

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Okay so on the second run through (settings reverted to 2300/2400 for midgame and endgame) I could pretty easily sweep through the awakened empire I picked against

My jackass overlord took all but one poo poo system

you're next, fuckers

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
How do i spend the trait points on a new species? I just got the robots. Do I need to use the create template?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

This may be somewhere in the thread, but it's moving so fast I could have missed it.

I'm brand new to this game, and so far it's pretty cool, but some things don't seem to make sense to me.

I am penalized for dropping outposts on every system by 2% on all my research (and maybe the unity thing too, not sure), but if I don't drop outposts on the crappy systems, they spawn pirates for infinity and beyond, and it would force me to camp a fleet in those systems or near them as rapid response units if I don't plop down that outpost. Is there a way around this, or is that just the mechanic.. either pay the 2% research penalty or get an infinite stream of pirates forming in that system?

----

I've just started hitting my first war, and there were stom strange things happening. I'm a robot/cybernetic dude who nobody likes and they instantly seal their borders when we meet (might have something to do with my 'assimilate or get purged' life philosophy, who knows). Anyway I found one of my neighbors that was completely sealed into a pocket, so I figured he would be a good group of meatbags to experiment on. I first claimed the closest 6 of his systems, and then I declared war. My only options were a 'claim' war or to 'humiliate' him, so I chose claim.

I ripped through his fleets and stations like a chainsaw through meatbags, and then asked for a 'status quo' settlement, which they agreed to, causing 5 of the 6 systems to immediately become mine, and with new borders, but the one system where he had a colony instantly flipped back to him, even though I had a starbase and all the other infrastructure, so I'm sort of confused about how to capture a planet.

Then, while we were in enforced truce after the war, he launched a huge fleet of warships, troopships, and science ships and just started sailing through my space as if my border wasn't there, zooming right past my fleet which refused to attack him, and right through my border chokepoint which had a giant deathstar of a starbase with a warp inhibitor... wtf.. Eventually, before the truce ended, all those ships wandered right back into his space and disappeared. So strange.

----------

So truce is over, so I declare war again and this time claim all the rest of his worlds, send in a giant swarm of corvettes and completely crush every ship and station he has left, flipping every single planet over to me... but he is still sitting there on his colonies. When I set my fleet to bombard, it says it will not kill the last 4 people on the planet, so I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to be doing now. According to my racial manifesto, I should be able to somehow assimilate these people and turn them into loyal cyborg dudes, but I've got no idea how... I don't have any tech that will let me blow the planet up either.

I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to make army dudes and send them over there, but I'd rather just bomb the planet into the ice-age, which seems like it should be fairly simple to do, but it won't let me, which is sort of strange given my racial traits, I'd figure that would be the default option.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Locator posted:

This may be somewhere in the thread, but it's moving so fast I could have missed it.

I'm brand new to this game, and so far it's pretty cool, but some things don't seem to make sense to me.

I am penalized for dropping outposts on every system by 2% on all my research (and maybe the unity thing too, not sure), but if I don't drop outposts on the crappy systems, they spawn pirates for infinity and beyond, and it would force me to camp a fleet in those systems or near them as rapid response units if I don't plop down that outpost. Is there a way around this, or is that just the mechanic.. either pay the 2% research penalty or get an infinite stream of pirates forming in that system?

That's the mechanic, but the vast majority of the time the output from the system is worth it in some way as well, 2% is far cheaper than dealing with pirates in either case.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Do pirates only spawn in unoccupied systems? It may end up being far cheaper to just camp a construction ship or something in any empty system you're not prepared to defend from pirates than eat the Tech/Unity penalty.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strobe posted:

Do pirates only spawn in unoccupied systems? It may end up being far cheaper to just camp a construction ship or something in any empty system you're not prepared to defend from pirates than eat the Tech/Unity penalty.

They spawn in unclaimed systems on your borders, regardless of whether you have a ship in them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
FWIW, I've only seen pirates spawn in single isolated systems, and the pocket of two garbage systems I've left untouched in the middle of my empire for decades hasn't given so much as a peep.

That's possibly just coincidence though, you know how randomness is.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I killed some annoying marauders and got a scary message that they were coming on a suicide run for my homeworld! Nothing ever arrived though. Guessing it is broken.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jabor posted:

FWIW, I've only seen pirates spawn in single isolated systems, and the pocket of two garbage systems I've left untouched in the middle of my empire for decades hasn't given so much as a peep.

That's possibly just coincidence though, you know how randomness is.

They definitely spawn on the edge of your empire as well but I don't know if it's weighted to prefer pockets. I've had a couple pop outside my border forts, free loot honestly for the garrison.

As question, does anyone know if you can build strongholds on habitats? I would very much like to make sure no fucker can ever leave this wormhole system and I am 100% prepared to build nothing but fortresses on a habitat to ensure it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Strobe posted:

no, they'll just eat your ship

you're all thinking way too hard about how to game territorial claims. more territory is flat out better than less territory until you're too big for it to even matter, although finding the artist enclave is important if you want to expand and keep up on unity - otherwise your costs are going to outpace your generation.

The Locator posted:

----

I've just started hitting my first war, and there were stom strange things happening. I'm a robot/cybernetic dude who nobody likes and they instantly seal their borders when we meet (might have something to do with my 'assimilate or get purged' life philosophy, who knows). Anyway I found one of my neighbors that was completely sealed into a pocket, so I figured he would be a good group of meatbags to experiment on. I first claimed the closest 6 of his systems, and then I declared war. My only options were a 'claim' war or to 'humiliate' him, so I chose claim.

I ripped through his fleets and stations like a chainsaw through meatbags, and then asked for a 'status quo' settlement, which they agreed to, causing 5 of the 6 systems to immediately become mine, and with new borders, but the one system where he had a colony instantly flipped back to him, even though I had a starbase and all the other infrastructure, so I'm sort of confused about how to capture a planet.

Then, while we were in enforced truce after the war, he launched a huge fleet of warships, troopships, and science ships and just started sailing through my space as if my border wasn't there, zooming right past my fleet which refused to attack him, and right through my border chokepoint which had a giant deathstar of a starbase with a warp inhibitor... wtf.. Eventually, before the truce ended, all those ships wandered right back into his space and disappeared. So strange.

----------

So truce is over, so I declare war again and this time claim all the rest of his worlds, send in a giant swarm of corvettes and completely crush every ship and station he has left, flipping every single planet over to me... but he is still sitting there on his colonies. When I set my fleet to bombard, it says it will not kill the last 4 people on the planet, so I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to be doing now. According to my racial manifesto, I should be able to somehow assimilate these people and turn them into loyal cyborg dudes, but I've got no idea how... I don't have any tech that will let me blow the planet up either.

I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to make army dudes and send them over there, but I'd rather just bomb the planet into the ice-age, which seems like it should be fairly simple to do, but it won't let me, which is sort of strange given my racial traits, I'd figure that would be the default option.

you must take planets with armies. once you've done that, you can go into the species screen, click on "set rights" for the species you've just taken over, and set their citizenship to "assimilation", which will slowly transform them into cyborgs

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, pirate spawns haven't been nearly the problem for me they've apparently been for others. I had a three system hole in the middle of my empire for decades and was bordering another four or so empty systems that popped nothing.

When pirates did spawn and I couldn't immediately flatten them, they just sort of knocked down one starbase and then went back to their system to sulk.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

1stGear posted:

Yeah, pirate spawns haven't been nearly the problem for me they've apparently been for others. I had a three system hole in the middle of my empire for decades and was bordering another four or so empty systems that popped nothing.

When pirates did spawn and I couldn't immediately flatten them, they just sort of knocked down one starbase and then went back to their system to sulk.

That's generally what they do, specifically they will try to blow up a couple of mining bases and take the loot back to their base, you get a bigger lump back once you destroy it I think based on how many successful raids they did.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Space Skeleton posted:

It's where they go if you give them a return order and I think where they pop up after emergency FTL?

Return just says "nearest allied starbase"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Taear posted:

Return just says "nearest allied starbase"

It's labelled wrong, they always go back to base as far as I've observed. You can test this by giving a return order and then changing their base, the order will update to send them there.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So building a Colossus gives you the purifier CB.

That's... interesting

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jazerus posted:

no, they'll just eat your ship

you're all thinking way too hard about how to game territorial claims. more territory is flat out better than less territory until you're too big for it to even matter, although finding the artist enclave is important if you want to expand and keep up on unity - otherwise your costs are going to outpace your generation.

Sorry buddy, there's no way to make me want to take some podunk 2-energy-and-nothing-else backwater system unless it's actually relevant from a strategic perspective.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Jazerus posted:

you must take planets with armies. once you've done that, you can go into the species screen, click on "set rights" for the species you've just taken over, and set their citizenship to "assimilation", which will slowly transform them into cyborgs

Thanks, time to figure out how to make armies!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah and you can also claim stuff *during* a war. Sudden got declared on by two different Federations and was like, ok sure. And claimed some stuff.

Also reposting this because I'm confused:

Why is my fleet not upgrading at this station? It's their home base:

And instead going through the wormhole one jump away to this station:

They both appear to have a shipyard, which I thought is all you need for upgrades. Same thing has happened with other fleets in the same position. No one will upgrade at the first station, even though it builds starships just fine.

I'll take a stab at it and blame the lack of that one building (in the bottom section) in your station that's not doing the upgrades (the umbilical something?). It has some text about allowing the computer to connect to your ships for upgrades or something.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jabor posted:

Sorry buddy, there's no way to make me want to take some podunk 2-energy-and-nothing-else backwater system unless it's actually relevant from a strategic perspective.

It’s good admiral xp!

Also watching a galleon be lit up by ion cannons hasn’t gotten old yet.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Seems like the Expansion tradition per-colony unity cost reduction could use a buff imo.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 26, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jabor posted:

Strategically you'll get invaded constantly by pirates if you don't.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

OwlFancier posted:

Strategically you'll get invaded constantly by pirates if you don't.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jabor posted:

if it's in an area where you're going to have a fleet most of the time, go nuts. having a system like that as a honeypot for pirates can even be useful since you can pounce on them easily if you're expecting them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The year is 2264, our civilization has spread among the stars surrounding our homeworld and we have explored further into the depths of galactic space. One of our far ranging scout vessels has encountered a terrifying threat, an unimaginably advanced alien civilization, posessing the power to reshape planets at will, construct vast, system spanning habitats, and reforge their species into living demigods. Our sole salvation in the face of this incalculable potency, is that their society appears to have stagnated. Once, perhaps, this empire spanned the vast gulfs of space, now it is reduced to a mere fraction of its former glory. Upon initiating a tentative contact, our scout craft recorded the following exchange:

"Know, young ones, that we alone serve to contain the destroyer of galaxies, the greatest threat to civilized life in the universe, it resides in the unclaimed space at the center of our last vestige of power, and all our once great might is focused on ensuring it can never escape...

"What is the threat? Can we help contain it if it is a danger to all of us? Can it be destroyed for good?"

The threat... Is piracy! There is no destroying it, no besting it, we are locked in an eternal struggle with a foe which twists the minds of our citizens and sends them against us...

"Wait, pirates? Have you tried building infrastructure in that system?"

"NO!!! The system only contains 2 energy and It would add 2% to our research and unity costs, and we would rather die than abide this insult!"

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I left an empty hole in my empire on a lovely system that was directly adjacent to a Curator Enclave. Pirates really love to spawn there, fly up the the enclave and get completely destroyed by the 7.2k power starbase they have. It has worked out wonderfully.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Does using sentient ai while fighting the Contingency do anything bad? I'm robots and got rid of the Ghost Signal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OwlFancier posted:

The year is 2264, our civilization has spread among the stars surrounding our homeworld and we have explored further into the depths of galactic space. One of our far ranging scout vessels has encountered a terrifying threat, an unimaginably advanced alien civilization, posessing the power to reshape planets at will, construct vast, system spanning habitats, and reforge their species into living demigods. Our sole salvation in the face of this incalculable potency, is that their society appears to have stagnated. Once, perhaps, this empire spanned the vast gulfs of space, now it is reduced to a mere fraction of its former glory. Upon initiating a tentative contact, our scout craft recorded the following exchange:

"Know, young ones, that we alone serve to contain the destroyer of galaxies, the greatest threat to civilized life in the universe, it resides in the unclaimed space at the center of our last vestige of power, and all our once great might is focused on ensuring it can never escape...

"What is the threat? Can we help contain it if it is a danger to all of us? Can it be destroyed for good?"

The threat... Is piracy! There is no destroying it, no besting it, we are locked in an eternal struggle with a foe which twists the minds of our citizens and sends them against us...

"Wait, pirates? Have you tried building infrastructure in that system?"

"NO!!! The system only contains 2 energy and It would add 2% to our research and unity costs, and we can not abide this insult!"

This but unironically.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

"NO!!! The system only contains 2 energy and It would add 2% to our research and unity costs, and we would rather die than abide this insult!"

:same:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Does using sentient ai while fighting the Contingency do anything bad? I'm robots and got rid of the Ghost Signal.

It should make your ships shittier but if you fixed the ghost signal it should be fine.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Had a weird thing happen. As a machine assimilator I abducted a pop of the faction I was at war with. Pop lands on one of my planets and has the Migrating icon. I check, and he's migrating from my planet to that of another faction. What gives? I thought it was supposed to get wired up and join my race of machine peoples. I checked species rights, everything looked good. Set to assimilate, migration controls enabled. Only weird thing was it had alpine preference and was on a continental world. Seems like a bug?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I like the idea a few people posted of the outposts taking care of the mining/research stations in their system for you. Maybe it could even generate civillian traffic between the stations and outpost which could be raided?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Met the Curators, got the best outcome to Improbable Ceramics, and discovered a +25% Living Metal anomaly in the space of three months. Don't even loving care that I was most of the way to Cruisers, that poo poo's getting put on hold for a few years. :allears:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Man, do I wish strike craft were worth using.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Strobe posted:

Met the Curators, got the best outcome to Improbable Ceramics, and discovered a +25% Living Metal anomaly in the space of three months. Don't even loving care that I was most of the way to Cruisers, that poo poo's getting put on hold for a few years. :allears:

Wait, there’s more than one outcome to Improbable Ceramics? I’ve only ever gotten my scientists melting down over being unable to explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Soup du Jour posted:

Wait, there’s more than one outcome to Improbable Ceramics? I’ve only ever gotten my scientists melting down over being unable to explain it.

Sometimes the orbital teapot is deserving of worship.