Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Pewdiepie posted:

As I understand it the actual historical record is extremely vague at best.

afaik they sorta know the order in which qin kicked everyone else's asses, ending with qi, but any conquest is going to be stop-start and not easily won

also the chu weren't that powerful, southern china at this time was poorly developed and not that populated, while qin punched way above its weight for its landmass because it was defensible and could afford to exploit all its territory without fear of attack

and another thing they really need: mass crossbows. it's a shame that this dramatization didn't really show that off, because the qin were famous for using this as the backbone of their army

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I read Vinland Saga to just before the end of the farm arc before and dropped it because it was super slow releasing and sporadic back then. I had assumed that was the end of it but then I posted this in this thread a while back and found out it was actually still ongoing! I'm planning to read it again soon and read Thors Vs Askeladd chapters again and it's so good. IIRC no one nearly as strong as Thors ever showed up again so those chapters always stood out to me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Boy howdy you're gonna really enjoy the mood whiplash it hits when it turns into a sitcom.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Boy howdy you're gonna really enjoy the mood whiplash it hits when it turns into a sitcom.

It shifts tones a lot, but every mood carries the seeds of everything else Vinland Saga has been or will be, so it's less awkward than most.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

I read Vinland Saga to just before the end of the farm arc before and dropped it because it was super slow releasing and sporadic back then. I had assumed that was the end of it but then I posted this in this thread a while back and found out it was actually still ongoing! I'm planning to read it again soon and read Thors Vs Askeladd chapters again and it's so good. IIRC no one nearly as strong as Thors ever showed up again so those chapters always stood out to me.

Its release schedule has always been very consistent, as far as I recall. Its a monthly and has been from the beginning. There’ve been few short chapters here and there but it’s pretty unusual.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

Its release schedule has always been very consistent, as far as I recall. Its a monthly and has been from the beginning. There’ve been few short chapters here and there but it’s pretty unusual.

I remember when I was following it pretty early on in it's lifetime the scanlators were super inconsistent I meant!

I remember being like "why is Thorfinn a loving farmer now" and chapters later being insanely conflicted between wanting my lil murderer back and being happy he could fill himself up with something else.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

DamnGlitch posted:

I thought it was weekly or biweekly at one point?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I recall it being monthly for the entire run, which is not quite true. I was mostly correct:

quote:

Vinland Saga began serialization in April 2005 in Kodansha's Weekly Shōnen Magazine, where it ran until October of the same year. It then went on a two-month hiatus, resuming serialization late December 2005 in the monthly seinen magazine Afternoon, also owned by Kodansha. This switch was caused by author Makoto Yukimura, who found he could not keep up a long-term weekly production schedule.[1]

So for 12 years monthly, with 6ish months weekly when it first started.

I started reading VS as soon as it came out, when manga scanner (I think?) put out their scanlation. It was very very good (I think there were 2 or 3 chapters they released at once) so I put it down for a very long time because I didn't want to wait for releases, which is kinda ironic given it must have been weekly at that time and not long after, in japan anyway. There may have been some instances where the translation fell behind and english releases were week to week in catch up or longer gaps during busy times, but for the last several years it's been very very solid to my recollection, especially through farmland saga. Were you following it through a specific reader site that didn't get the updates timely, maybe? I've been following it through this thread for years now and the reader site changes often, including the odd 4chan sourced chapter (which I think happened more often around farmland saga)

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 5, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

I recall it being monthly for the entire run, which is not quite true. I was mostly correct:

So for 12 years monthly, with 6ish months weekly when it first started.

I started reading VS as soon as it came out, when manga scanner (I think?) put out their scanlation. It was very very good (I think there were 2 or 3 chapters they released at once) so I put it down for a very long time because I didn't want to wait for releases, which is kinda ironic given it must have been weekly at that time and not long after, in japan anyway. There may have been some instances where the translation fell behind and english releases were week to week in catch up or longer gaps during busy times, but for the last several years it's been very very solid to my recollection, especially through farmland saga. Were you following it through a specific reader site that didn't get the updates timely, maybe? I've been following it through this thread for years now and the reader site changes often, including the odd 4chan sourced chapter (which I think happened more often around farmland saga)

I may just be wrong because I fell off FMA towards the end too because I just found month long waits really annoying, I still do tbh. I can't recall what mangasite I used back then. I used OneManga until it went down and I think flitted between them after that. I'm hoping to pick up some volumes over Christmas and take it slowly catching up. How long is the farmland saga? It felt long reading it while releasing but I'm thinking it's probably not actually that long. I'm so conflicted about wanting Thorfinn to live a life like Thors with a nice loving family and wanting my cool warrior son back. I hope he clatters Canute tbh.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Farmland Saga is like, 20-30 chapters iirc

Thorfinn becomes infinitely more interesting of a character during and after Farmland Saga honestly

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Farmland Saga is like, 20-30 chapters iirc

Thorfinn becomes infinitely more interesting of a character during and after Farmland Saga honestly

Personally I think that Farmland Saga was when Vinland Saga best and most clearly demonstrated its utter moral core, which raised it head and shoulders above most other seinen series for me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

NAME REDACTED posted:

Personally I think that Farmland Saga was when Vinland Saga best and most clearly demonstrated its utter moral core, which raised it head and shoulders above most other seinen series for me.

I was more saying farmland saga makes Thorfinn into a genuinely good, deep character rather than the lightly-seasoned murderboy he was before, not anything bad about it

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You're agreeing with each other and I agree with both of you.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I thought that was the joke with everyone going "Farmland Saga, gently caress yeah!" That somehow this arc about farming was just as engaging, if not more, than the previous war arc.

I mean, this is same author who did space garbagemen. We should have known.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If you're a fan of unceasing bloodshed and more or less linear characters go read Kingdom. It owns and in a different way than Vinland Saga.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The real pain is waiting for new Young Bride's Story chapters.

I need to know how Pariya is doing and how the training in the Siberian wilderness is going! I need to see delicious bread and cats and hawks!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Speaking of Planetes, I recently re-read the manga, and it's incredible how much the moral system is pretty much in line with Vinland Saga. (Spoilertagging everything, just in case.)

Hachi, the main character, starts off with a "gently caress this job, I'm only doing this to get money to buy me a spaceship, once I've made enough I'm outta here" attitude, and slowly over the course of the manga develops a strong moral core of "being with other people is actually fine, good even". Midway through he leaves for Jupiter and the focus shifts to the rest of the gang for a bit, and when it goes back to him he gets asked by his captain to do the first ever broadcast from Jupiter, because he'd always been the one to smooth things over between the crew members when they got to arguing or fighting. And he does a speech that goes basically "When I was younger I thought I could live just for myself, but I realize now that's bullshit. Everyone's connected and everyone can live in peace with each other and I'm an idiot and a jerk for not realising this, when I'm back from Jupiter I'm going right back to my garbage collecting job with my friends. Peace out."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You're agreeing with each other and I agree with both of you.
Oh, I misread his post.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mikl posted:

Speaking of Planetes, I recently re-read the manga, and it's incredible how much the moral system is pretty much in line with Vinland Saga. (Spoilertagging everything, just in case.)

Hachi, the main character, starts off with a "gently caress this job, I'm only doing this to get money to buy me a spaceship, once I've made enough I'm outta here" attitude, and slowly over the course of the manga develops a strong moral core of "being with other people is actually fine, good even". Midway through he leaves for Jupiter and the focus shifts to the rest of the gang for a bit, and when it goes back to him he gets asked by his captain to do the first ever broadcast from Jupiter, because he'd always been the one to smooth things over between the crew members when they got to arguing or fighting. And he does a speech that goes basically "When I was younger I thought I could live just for myself, but I realize now that's bullshit. Everyone's connected and everyone can live in peace with each other and I'm an idiot and a jerk for not realising this, when I'm back from Jupiter I'm going right back to my garbage collecting job with my friends. Peace out."

Because I don't want to spoil myself, I've heard that the manga is pretty different from the anime, is it one of those "this is basically a different story with the same characters" things or does it just continue for longer or something?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

RabidWeasel posted:

Because I don't want to spoil myself, I've heard that the manga is pretty different from the anime, is it one of those "this is basically a different story with the same characters" things or does it just continue for longer or something?

It's pretty interesting how it's different. Overall story is the same, goes a little further in the manga but the big change is that the point of view that the story is told from is different between the two.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

planetes is mostly good but man

that space war arc blows

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I never got far in the anime, but I assume it's the manga with like 15 funny filler episodes in the middle. The few episodes I did see were genuinely funny so that's nice.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

RabidWeasel posted:

It's been a while, but from what I remember: a bunch of the major beats are the same, the show shuffles some characters around, focuses on different events occasionally, and is generally goofier. Also, I don't think the show has the part where Fee (not really a spoiler, but whatever) crashes her motorcycle and finds a dog, which was one of my favorite parts.

The show is fine, but I love the manga.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zero_Tactility posted:

It's been a while, but from what I remember: a bunch of the major beats are the same, the show shuffles some characters around, focuses on different events occasionally, and is generally goofier. Also, I don't think the show has the part where Fee (not really a spoiler, but whatever) crashes her motorcycle and finds a dog, which was one of my favorite parts.

The show is fine, but I love the manga.

It doesn't have any of her focus chapter, if memory serves. Also, a group that gets dealt with relatively early in the manga sticks around for the whole anime.

Ending's different too.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I decided to read Farmland because I'm curious to see how that arc ends and I'm just coming near the end of it again. Thorfinn and Einar have decided to help Arnheid and Gardar escape and currently Leif is transporting Ketil and his sons back to the farm with Canute in pursuit. I really like Snake and was going to say I hope he is in the story later but actually I hope he takes Sverkel's offer to become a farmer tbh.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Otoyomegatari update: Smith and Ali's Excellent Adventure

People like to do this for competitions and stuff in real life too. Because it looks cool!

It seems like we'll be following these two for a little while, hope to learn some more about Smith. I've seen speculation that he's working for the British, keeping an eye on the Russian situation, I don't know about that but I can say that he seems to be somewhat cagey whenever his "friends" in Ankara come up, compared to his normal chatty self. On the other hand, he seems to be genuinely passionate about his research, that could very well be his sincere goal.
I've also noticed that anytime the prospect of retracing their steps is broached, he seems to withdraw for a moment. Wistful, perhaps? Between that and the foreshadowing of his pocketwatch being found in the bonus scene in the print volumes, I bet before all is said and done we'll see him and Talas meeting again.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Otoyomegatari update: Smith and Ali's Excellent Adventure

People like to do this for competitions and stuff in real life too. Because it looks cool!

It seems like we'll be following these two for a little while, hope to learn some more about Smith. I've seen speculation that he's working for the British, keeping an eye on the Russian situation, I don't know about that but I can say that he seems to be somewhat cagey whenever his "friends" in Ankara come up, compared to his normal chatty self. On the other hand, he seems to be genuinely passionate about his research, that could very well be his sincere goal.
I've also noticed that anytime the prospect of retracing their steps is broached, he seems to withdraw for a moment. Wistful, perhaps? Between that and the foreshadowing of his pocketwatch being found in the bonus scene in the print volumes, I bet before all is said and done we'll see him and Talas meeting again.

:kimchi: Otoyomegatari: Making art out of camels and bread.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Vinland Saga - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vinland-Saga/Chapter-146?id=396439

In which Sigurd continues to be the butt of the universe's joke.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Not limited to his translated style of speech suddenly changing.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Not limited to his translated style of speech suddenly changing.

That was really jarring, I'm glad his pals support him though! It kind of sucks that we're still on a monthly release schedule but only getting weekly length chapters :saddowns:

I got the first book for Christmas and it has about two and a half volumes worth I think, it ends at the death of Thors. One thing I've always loved from Thors' showdown with Askeladd is that he just walks straight forward without hesitation. Thors' doesn't charge in like Bjorn or Thorfinn he just calmly strides forward, Askeladd even comments on how confident Thors' must be in his abilities to do that.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Otoyomegatari 68: Read on Mangadex (the experimental batoto replacement, I am told) or imgur

Mr. Hawking's letter is rather vague, but to be fair anyone around this time would probably know what war he's talking about. I believe he is describing the events of the Crimean war leading up to the siege of Sevastopol, dating the current point in the series to 1853-ish. We had a pretty good idea of the timeline already but it's nice to nail it down. You can also see a reasonable facsimile of the flag of Imperial Russia.

Smith doesn't seem to have plans to head home anytime soon, but he might wind up facing some pressure from Hawking, who seems beholden to Smith Sr.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

oh poo poo Innocent Rouge just reached the Revolution.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Plutonis posted:

when i looked at the raws for this volume I was so confused, because I could tell that was lamballe's head but felt like that was a huge jump.

I have grave concerns about the impact that a steel helmet would have on a kid's physical and mental development. Marie. bad idea

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Vinland Saga - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vinland-Saga/Chapter-147?id=405160

In which the Jomsvikings break the fourth wall.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 25, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, seriously. I can't believe how slapstick the series has gotten. Not that I hate it or anything, but it's really mindboggling considering the grimness the majority of the series had(outside of Thorkell and his horse-punching powers).

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Garm just matrixed his way into the fort.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
More like Sonic the Hedgehoged his way in

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
its no weirder than thorfinn's earlier adventures

garm's just a purer version of thorfinn's old self

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Plutonis posted:

For an author that clearly knows a thing or two about the French revolution, I'm surprised the author jumped from the Tennis Court Oath straight to citizen Louis' execution. That's a four year time-skip, a full election cycle. He skipped enough time for the French to create a constitution from nothing, declare it obsolete, and then create another entirely new constitution.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

its no weirder than thorfinn's earlier adventures

garm's just a purer version of thorfinn's old self

Define purer.

Garm's having fun. Thorfinn wasn't. Garm's doing things for kicks. Thorfinn was in it for REVENGE. Thorfinn was bound by weird personal rules that he didn't even understand himself, while Garm's pretty loose in how he takes orders.

Hell, even their fighting styles are different. Garm's got a spear, while Thorfinn was always getting up in his opponent's faces to make up for his short reach.

I mean, they're both teenage killing machines with a loose grasp of ethics, but that's about where the similarities end.