Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Did you think they wanted you to be clustering them in five-missile groups instead of five-damage groups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Defiance Industries posted:

Did you think they wanted you to be clustering them in five-missile groups instead of five-damage groups?

:magical:

That's like hives-inducing levels of gently caress that.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Right, same as plasma rifles vs. battle armor. I've been misreading that for ages.

So have I, until about three months ago. Previously, I thought it was single-missile hits for Standard and HE, and groups of five for ER.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Ahahahahaha

Poptarts, am I correct in thinking I won't be able to shoot at any enemies once I move into 1909? Do I just need to end my turn in the hex to accomplish the secondary, or are there other requirements?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

AJ_Impy posted:

A Gurkha has accounted for a Dire Wolf Prime and a Turkana Z. Holy poo poo, Defiance Industries!

Wonder who the other player MVP will be.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Arrow IV (Homing)
- Attacks Lower Mapsheet (Base 4 = 4): rolled 3, miss! Arrow IV explodes harmlessly!

Arrow IV (Homing)
- Attacks Lower Mapsheet (Base 4 = 4): rolled 6, hit!
- - Missile homes in on Dragoon II: rolled 2, miss! Dragoon II suffers 5 area damage to Left Torso (12/24 armor remaining)!

Obviously the Society here has a researcher in Economics who looked into old Earth history and came out one day with the revelation that they'd developed a perfect Clan-like way to handle the manufacture of arms and ammunition which the Society had to immediately put into place themselves. Lowest bid contracts.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Narsham posted:

Wonder who the other player MVP will be.

That's my point. It's still Defiance. The other MVP? That's Defiance. Well, who's the fir- That's also Defiance!.

Right, Manny's plan is a good one for killing the tiny thing behind him (mind you count your MP, there's broken terrain there). I'll kick the one to my left, and take a couple of pot shots at our primary target. Coyotes can focus on the other 'Mech around their objective.

chktshadeclaw
Feb 8, 2012
If I'm reading that right, their artillery platform has retreated. If that's the case, I'm going to try and blow the little one in front of me off the map. My big question is, should I start moving up to group up with everyone, or should I hold here and keep.the enemy's attention divided?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
So... note to self. If I ever find myself in a light 'Mech, find Defiance Industries and do whatever they tell me.

Holy poo poo, man.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

chktshadeclaw posted:

If I'm reading that right, their artillery platform has retreated. If that's the case, I'm going to try and blow the little one in front of me off the map. My big question is, should I start moving up to group up with everyone, or should I hold here and keep.the enemy's attention divided?

D'you have LoS on the guy at 2024 (sorry, they all have such stupid names, so I'm not bothering to call them by their real names)? That might be a good target for you. Or you could focus on the one at 1223, but there are two lights in the same area who are hunting it down anyway.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

So... note to self. If I ever find myself in a light 'Mech, find Defiance Industries and do whatever they tell me.

Holy poo poo, man.

An IS light KO'ing a Clan assault by ringout is the dream, and it just happened

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

chktshadeclaw posted:

You, me, and the Gurkha and Nyx should coordinate our attacks/fire on the Cephali in hexes 1021 and 1223.

Myself and one of the lights could go after the rear of the one in 1223 while you and the other light could go after the rear of the one in 1021. I say this because from your position you hit the rear of 1021 but the side of 1223 (where you hit front armor and thus the ablative armor).

As for your movement, I would suggesting Walking speed, turn one hex to face 1024 then step into 1024 (three MP total since you are going down an elevation). I *believe* that doing this allows you to chose to deny LoS to the enemy in 2022 and gets you moving in the direction of the rest of the fight.

Also I wouldnt fire everything so you dont overheat too much and make yourself even slower :v:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

We should try to park SOMETHING in 1525, it'll keep the Ceph and Sept in the southeast from linking up without spending a lot of extra MP to move through the rough terrain or woods.

I might move my Gurkha into the woods to take a potshot at the Sept-Z but I don't see any super-attractive options sticking out to me. TBH I kind of expected I'd get ripped to poo poo if I survived at all so I didn't plan for my next move like I usually do.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 26, 2018

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Defiance could just eject right now and he'd still be MVP.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

We should try to park SOMETHING in 1525, it'll keep the Ceph and Sept in the southeast from linking up without spending a lot of extra MP to move through the rough terrain or woods.
The only thing that could reach 1525 is one of the lights, and that might leave it open to attack by the Septic. Better to just kill the Cephs outright, quiaff?

I might move my Gurkha into the woods to take a potshot at the Sept-Z but I don't see any super-attractive options sticking out to me. TBH I kind of expected I'd get ripped to poo poo if I survived at all so I didn't plan for my next move like I usually do.
Backstab the Osteon!

Do I have LoS on the Septic-Z? The Nyx and I might be able to persuade it to retreat this turn. Otherwise, I could attack the Summoner this turn, mêlée it next turn while shooting at the Septic-Z.

painedforever fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 26, 2018

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

The Society lost 4 mechs including the retreat and took additional damage in return for the Dingo and some change, and the Golems have 4 salvos left.
Fantastic coordination, this is one of the best teams yet.

Hopefully the Society keeps missing when it fires at Goonlances, and it'll be all aces once the Society is cleared off the field, despite losing the Coyote a bit before its time.

What was that about saying the dice have been kind lately would doom us? :)

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 26, 2018

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

RA Rx posted:

The Society lost 4 mechs including the retreat and took additional damage in return for the Dingo and some change, and the Golems have 4 salvos left.
Fantastic coordination, this is one of the best teams yet.

Hopefully the Society keeps missing when it fires at Goonlances, and it'll be all aces once the Society is cleared off the field, despite losing the Coyote a bit before its time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b5IpCpeb0M

Well, you know, you wanna play good, and I think we played pretty good tonight.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Holy poo poo, man.

And the really fantastic thing is he isn't even winging it, risking more than it's worth for the glory of it, he's just following the best math.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 26, 2018

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

RA Rx posted:

And the really fantastic thing is he isn't even winging it, risking more than it's worth for the glory of it, he's just following the best math.

PTN giving me two lights makes me a little more free to take calculated risks like the run at the Daishi. Not that I haven't been lucky, but if PTN rolled a few 10s on the Daishi I would have disintegrated immediately.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Defiance, I saw your entry in the goonlance spreadsheet and it was all I hoped it'd be and more. Team, don't forget to stay grouped as we are (probably) still going to have to fight the Coyote survivors? Or maybe not, if Paragon1 being on the Coyote force now means anything, but let's not take chances. I'll draw up a new map for the turn as well while I ponder options for myself.

PTN - minor thing - my orders should have me facing 1018, not 1019 - is it ok if I give orders next turn as though I am facing 1018?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Isn't the NRWR secondary objective the mech that just fell over? That's an easy target right?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Artificer posted:

Isn't the NRWR secondary objective the mech that just fell over? That's an easy target right?

It's a pretty easy target, but he did successfully get up and move. He's only pushing a +2 and ended the turn in the open, though, so he's a good target. Sair should be able to shoot him on 6s by walking into the heavy woods next to him, and I think everyone else would be firing on 7s and 8s.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Here's the next tactical map. I noticed this time that the Nova CEWS networks are listed on the enemy 'mech cards, so those are listed as well. Not sure whether they reflect this turn's networks or last turn's networks, though, so take that with a grain of salt. It absolutely looks like there are one or two good hexes in behind the Septicemia Z, our secondary target, so I continue to endorse light 'Mech shenanigans.

For myself, I'm going to push up into the smoke at 1217, and dump everything into that Cephalus (1215) the Golems were shooting at. I wish I had a better target, but most everything else looks like medium range or worse right now. Also it seems like if we kill enough in one turn we trigger some guts checks, so light targets seem to be viable for our primary objective as well. An alternative might be to stay put and shoot at the Cephalus with the iHeavy Large Laser in 1021, but I feel like that is best left to our south lights since it has weak back armour. Don't underestimate it, though, it can still do 16 damage in one hit.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Does smoke and heavy woods combine to impenetrable cover at +3?
Love firing out of smoke and forests doughnuts.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 26, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
ONE LIGHT ENTERS

TWO ASSAULTS LEAVE

WELCOME TO MECHAMANIA SOLARIS FANS

THIS IS THE LIFE

THIS IS THE DREAM

THIS IS DEFIANCE INDUSTRIES

(praise be to the dice gods, amen)

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

LeschNyhan posted:

For myself, I'm going to push up into the smoke at 1217, and dump everything into that Cephalus (1215) the Golems were shooting at. I wish I had a better target, but most everything else looks like medium range or worse right now. Also it seems like if we kill enough in one turn we trigger some guts checks, so light targets seem to be viable for our primary objective as well. An alternative might be to stay put and shoot at the Cephalus with the iHeavy Large Laser in 1021, but I feel like that is best left to our south lights since it has weak back armour. Don't underestimate it, though, it can still do 16 damage in one hit.

Manny's going to shoot and kick the Ceph at 1021. And chktshadeclaw would be shooting him. The two lights are going after the Ceph at 1223 (I think).

I'm going to use my medium laser on the Ceph at 1215, and then I'm going to kick it. Between you and me, we might be able to kill it. I'll also be shooting my Gauss at either the Summoner or the Septic-Z (still can't decide, I think I'll try to map out my LoS, I think that the Septic-Z is in partial cover from where I am).

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Now that is how you use Lights. I wish I'd had time to play this scenario, but that's life.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

painedforever posted:

Manny's going to shoot and kick the Ceph at 1021. And chktshadeclaw would be shooting him. The two lights are going after the Ceph at 1223 (I think).
I suggested earlier that chktshadeclaw shoot the Cephalus in 1021 because those will be rear shots and in close range. Our two southern lights can reposition so one fires at the Ceph in 1021 and the other at the one in 1223. This way we have two mechs firing at the rear of both, and likely have kicks flying at both, also.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Minor note for the Rampage II, the last enemy with a PPC is down so you can turn off your blue shield PFD to reduce the risk of it blowing up on a hit. (It's only 5 damage if it gets hit while active, but you do have an open armor section so!).

I think 1116 facing 1215 and shooting both gauss rifles at the Summoner is your best bet, it's way easier to hit and you'll have partial cover from it.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 26, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
DI's charging mech vs Apostate's Charger mech: coming soon from Solaris VII!

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I am suddenly reminded of a time my Fireball charged down a Gunslinger camping on the edge of a 4 story cliff. Bodychecked him clean off and dealt something around the likes of 70+ damage between the charge and the fall. Sadly didn't kill it, nor did I win the scenario, but drat if it didn't feel good to pitch that assault mech over the edge.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

You got the best story out of it!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Gwaihir posted:

Minor note for the Rampage II, the last enemy with a PPC is down so you can turn off your blue shield PFD to reduce the risk of it blowing up on a hit. (It's only 5 damage if it gets hit while active, but you do have an open armor section so!).

I think 1116 facing 1215 and shooting both gauss rifles at the Summoner is your best bet, it's way easier to hit and you'll have partial cover from it.

That's a really good idea, thank you Gwaihir! I was going to turn off the shield in any case, but that particular move sounds really good. They're scrubs anyway, so that partial cover will make it even harder for him to hit.

Alright gents! 24 hours to go! If you don't get your orders in, you don't get ta stomp on dese 'ere grots!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AJ_Impy posted:

A Gurkha has accounted for a Dire Wolf Prime and a Turkana Z. Holy poo poo, Defiance Industries!

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
Goddammit Defiance Industries. You've beaten Society itself.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I got woken up in the middle of the night, and couldn't get back to sleep. It takes me a while, see? By the time I drifted off, I was exhausted, and I was having funny dreams. I dreamt that PTN was simulating the end of the mission using MechCommander 2, the bad guys had surrendered, and that we were marching Defiance out in an Atlas to accept it.

Though that might have been an actual mission from MechCommander 2.

Oooh, I think I want to play it again.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

painedforever posted:

I got woken up in the middle of the night, and couldn't get back to sleep. It takes me a while, see? By the time I drifted off, I was exhausted, and I was having funny dreams. I dreamt that PTN was simulating the end of the mission using MechCommander 2, the bad guys had surrendered, and that we were marching Defiance out in an Atlas to accept it.

Though that might have been an actual mission from MechCommander 2.

Oooh, I think I want to play it again.

Are you thinking of the one where you go to a negotiation with the Liaos and they backstab you, and you have to book it to an abandoned firebase and try to defend it? That one was cool.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TBH I'm more of a Banshee/Hauptmann man

e; Orders are in. Probably gonna get hosed up by the Osteon but that's what happens when you don't make an escape plan.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 28, 2018

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You'll probably stab it in the head while not getting hit even once.. Instant decapitation.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

TBH I'm more of a Banshee/Hauptmann man

e; Orders are in. Probably gonna get hosed up by the Osteon but that's what happens when you don't make an escape plan.

I'm sure you've already seen and calculated them, but there are some great heavy wood hexes that still allow decent shots.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 28, 2018

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think Sair's Nyx will come out fine, but if one of us drops, we should high-tail it and link up with the Clan forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

My orders are also in; moonwalking behind the Cephalus in 1223 then shooting it with everything and kicking it.

• Locked thread