Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Okay, Heat Signature just moved about 10 places up my wishlist after seeing it in action. :suspense:

Also I'm going to vote for Heart & Slash because it seems...well, kinda stupid on the surface, and I want to be proven wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
pbug you are good at video games can you play hotline miami

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cherry's Fatal Attraction is a difficult weapon to use, but the idea is it teleports you onto your target (including through walls), killing them even if they have shields. It's actually pretty ideal for exactly this kind of mission - you get a bit more liberty to kill your target if you can avoid all the shield guys.
If you were really feeling plucky, you could board the ship once to see the layout, see the target was next to the wall, get back in your pod, drift over next to the wall he's standing by, then get out of the pod and stab him from space. Although in this case a Swapper would be just as effective. The guards would kick you out, of course, but your job is already done.

Also you can turn turrets off by hitting E will standing next to them. And you can just kill an unconscious target from the pause menu, but spacing them is definitely more fun.

All three of the options look like bog-standard roguelikes so I'll go with Exanima since it at least might have a nice aesthetic.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ascendant sounds cool, so lets go with that.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Judging by the trailers and some reviews we have:

Ascendant - acclaimed for being good looking and having solid combat, but has some small disappointments
Heart&Slash - maybe got polish issues but the design is charming and potentially the most fun of the three
Exanima - Diablo 1 vibes make me really want to see it in spite of the combat looking like sub-par Dark Souls style and probably having more than a little unfun jankiness (if you do not believe some jankiness can be fun you have no soul)

I really want to believe in Exanima but deep in my heart I know Heart&Slash is the better bet. Seeing plenty of other people are intrigued though has changed my vote! Exanima

e: Also I'm so glad that even though you're really good at games you still have just as much trouble successfully docking with ships as me.

Something else! You can throw weapons with T after you have used them, and then teleport them back once they've successfully connected with their target. Using this allows you to stretch two melee weapons to four or even five targets with judicious use of pausing, assuming you can get in dash range before your targets are fully alerted. I still prefer two silenced quickfire shotguns as the mission permits, of course, since unlike dashing bullets have no range limit, but it's a very viable means to quickly jump back into harder missions with a fresh character (barring guards with armor or shields, anyway).

The box that appears under some guards means they have an extra item that is not part of the kit you get briefed on in mission selection. It's usually not as special as the items you can find in crates but it never hurts to check the pause screen before leaving a ship/going to home base and for a fresh character that's at worst extra credits and at best makes a run you otherwise wouldn't bother with something you can beat.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 26, 2018

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I couldn't leave the first room in Examina, I was so confused by the controls so yeah I wanna see Examina

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Two things about the last run: First of all, your game didn't glitch out, your rechargeable items always recharge when you get to a station even if you're still technically on a mission. It definitely feels a bit cheaty to stop a mission halfway to refill but if it was actually unintended I'm sure it'd have been removed by now. Secondly, something you didn't go into (because you didn't actually take any lethal injuries, incredibly enough) is that said lethal injuries permanently reduce the amount of time you can survive getting spaced so usually fumbling around with active turrets is an awful idea if you have any interest in going on more missions with the character. After 10 of them you will immediately die upon being thrown out of a ship, although in practice 6 or 7 will probably do it. That said, there's an unlockable way to mostly mitigate this mechanic and said way comes with a bonus ability that makes it considerably easier to pull off kidnap/rescue missions.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tenebrais posted:

Also you can turn turrets off by hitting E will standing next to them.
I have beaten the stupid game without knowing this.

:negative:

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Tenebrais posted:

Also you can turn turrets off by hitting E will standing next to them. And you can just kill an unconscious target from the pause menu, but spacing them is definitely more fun.
gently caress

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Something else! You can throw weapons with T after you have used them, and then teleport them back once they've successfully connected with their target...
gently caress

Bozart posted:

pbug you are good at video games can you play hotline miami
gently caress!!!!!

the winner is Examina btw

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Exanima

How could this have happened.

The next game is going to be Ascedant because I flipped a coin and it won.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

For whatever it's worth, I'm sorry. I should have known expecting more out of the game than the trailer showed was a mistake.

Yzuped
Apr 22, 2014
Man, that sounded a lot better from the description.

Also bought Strafe on your...er..'recommendation' Good for what it is, I think.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

What if Dark Souls... was Octodad?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Octodad is fun, though. This seems more like Bad Rats level random physics fuckery.

Also, obligatory :psyduck: What the gently caress why does this even exist?!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Octodad is fun, though. This seems more like Bad Rats level random physics fuckery.

Also, obligatory :psyduck: What the gently caress why does this even exist?!

Bad Rats level random physics fuckery would have way funnier takes than what we got here. This is a much more pedestrian level of bad; whoever did this has at least some idea how to code right but is clueless about how to take the one idea they had for a game and make it interesting or fun. I would have loved it if the physics had been insane and you could have thrown yourself through the floor or ceiling, but alas, it was just competent enough to be bad and boring.

On a different note, it seems like getting the zombies to fight and kill each other was probably the best and easiest way to progress. Train the zombies with gear you want against other zombies until they die, then get their killers caught up elsewhere so you can loot in peace, repeat ad infinitum. Beats the hell out of trying to hit the assholes yourself at least with the combat system as bad as it is.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Party Bug posted:

Exanima

How could this have happened.

Because! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjTfa8WeCjs

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I watched volumes 1-3 (there's more, but eh), and the jist of it seems to be "aim a bit past them, to stab them in the face". The latter half of which is coincidentally my personal motto.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tenebrais posted:

If you were really feeling plucky, you could board the ship once to see the layout, see the target was next to the wall, get back in your pod, drift over next to the wall he's standing by, then get out of the pod and stab him from space. Although in this case a Swapper would be just as effective.

Wow. That's some pretty quality thinking outside the box. Does the average ship just keep going in a straight line, so you can match heading and speed just like that?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Generally, unless they get alerted in which case they try to return to base.

Things go very badly if you're still in the ship when it lands.

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

Tenebrais posted:

Dad Souls.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Ascendant

A good thing happens in this video.

:siren: NEXT!?!? :siren:

Super Turbo Demon Busters
STDB! is a rogue-like game about hardcore mercenaries and space marines escaping from a very cozy planet filled with monsters, nuclear fire, viruses and pixelated violence.

Captain Forever Remix
Can you create the raddest spaceship? Captain Forever Remix is the spaceship builder roguelike. Voyage across the Solar System and blast apart randomly-generated enemies for spare parts. This is an officially-licensed re-imagining of the indie classic Captain Forever.

Convoy
Convoy is a tactical roguelike-like inspired by Mad Max and FTL in which you cross a wasteland in search of parts for your broken ship. Presented in pixel art and set in a future post-apocalyptic setting, Convoy is a squad based tactical combat roguelike-like in its core.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Convoy! It's a good game until you hit the FTL-style boss. I wanna see you break it in half, please~

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Captain Forever Remix sounds interesting.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
It’s gotta be Convoy.

I’m catching up on videos from this thread and I can’t really see a reason why I shouldn’t pick up Heat Signature.

Examina...looks like it did not live up to its description. If someone could make a game that is actually what the Exanima description is that would be great.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cathode Raymond posted:

I’m catching up on videos from this thread and I can’t really see a reason why I shouldn’t pick up Heat Signature.

You'll burn out on it at some point, but until then you're going to have a lot of fun, so do it!

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Convoy should be fun to watch! That Turbo Demon game looks, uh, pretty awful honestly.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Heat Signature's dope. It's probably the best game I've played for the LP so far.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Gonna go with Convoy.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Convoy postapocalypsisi

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I liked the art style in Ascendant. And the environment told a bit of a story, even if the game itself didn't. And I'm not sure if a weapon that replaces the soundtrack with heavy metal is genius or terrible, but I appreciated it because the normal soundtrack was pretty bland there.

Captain Forever looks interesting but I won't be sad if Convoy wins.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Apology vote for Convoy.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Man that was actually some Guacamelee looking gameplay tbh. Super Turbo Demon Busters is a mobile game, right?

Gonna go with Convoy

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow, I have to say that ascendant looks really fun... except for the bits where the bosses are fully shielded. It's a pity they didn't go with a more dark soulsy style where bosses can theoretically be hit at any time - just with their cycle and AI set to punish you if you time your attacks poorly.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ascendant has some really nice style to it.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Convoy is one of those games I both love and hate at the same time, and what more can you ask from a roguelike?

Also are you doing this megathread just so that roguelike games will be nice to you while you're recording? Because that's a great scheme and I wish I'd thought of it first. :allears:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
My only problem with Convoy is something that I thought roguelikes went away with ages ago, conversation instakills.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
No love for STD bustas? No?

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Convoy

Nice game.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
We gotta little 'ol Convoy! Ain't she a beautiful sight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

AltaBrown posted:

We gotta little 'ol Convoy! Ain't she a beautiful sight?
I cant even imagine what the actual plot to that must be.