Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Syrinxx posted:

:same: but 10" and FHD not 720px

Chrome-OS devices still have no specimens with OLED displays, right? I haven't kept up with them in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, but that's mostly because they've never been in a form factor that would lend themselves to making that financially feasible.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Fix android app compatibility issues and I'll say that this might actually make android tablets worthwhile again. Although I think the Chromebook form factor works better than pure touch screen.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Chrome OS remains pointless since Google should just put a full version of Chrome on Android instead of maintaining the artificially crippled releases they do now. Chrome OS does nothing that can't be done in Android itself inherently.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chrome OS locks you even more deeply into the Google system. Android is too open and versatile for their liking.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Hell, I would probably be down for a 9.7" even. ChromeOS is so good and make sense outside of the phone space. If I could make chromeOS run on my Tab S3, I would do it in a heartbeat and probably use it a bunch more.

Manufactures can't give tablets the same attention they give phones, so it makes so much sense to hand off the software experience completely to Google.

It would be nice to not have to pine over a never going to exist Nexus tablet. To be able to go to Acer or Asus and get the same first class software experience I have on my Pixelbook.

I'd loving love to have ChromeOS on the Pixel C. I mean I guess it works fine as an Android device but it was originally supposed to have ChromeOS and then they wussed out. :saddowns:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

fishmech posted:

Chrome OS remains pointless since Google should just put a full version of Chrome on Android instead of maintaining the artificially crippled releases they do now. Chrome OS does nothing that can't be done in Android itself inherently.

Ultimately, I kinda have to wonder why ChromeOS isn't effectively a custom launcher for an Android build that has a few different compile flags flipped and some features turned off. It always seemed strange that they maintained two full operating system stacks.

Then again this is Google, internal synergy is not their forte.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 27, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

fishmech posted:

Except give Google the control it feels it needs both for security, updates, and business reasons.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thermopyle posted:

Except give Google the control it feels it needs both for security, updates, and business reasons.

They can already do this on Android.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

No they can't.

Or, rather, they can in the sense you can write any program on any hardware in any Turing-complete language.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 27, 2018

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

fishmech posted:

They can already do this on Android.

They could do it with Android as the base, but they can't force everyone else making android to play along. Chrome OS locks OEMs into it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://chromeunboxed.com/news/acer-chrome-os-tablet-display/

Looks like what Acer ChromeOS tablet has a 9.7 inch LCD display at 1536×2048 (yay!) and a stowable stylus.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
The pen holder for my Pixelbook came in. It's just a teal fabric loop stitched to a faux leather ~1.5" square pad with some 3M adhesive on the back. You're supposed to stick it to the underside of the base with the loop sticking out so you can slip the pen in. The pad is gray but it doesn't match any of the other grays on the device. It's also thicker than the feet on the bottom of the laptop so if you do attach it, your Pixelbook won't sit perfectly flat anymore. The little card it came with also shows it being attached on the left side so it can get in the way of your volume and power keys.

I give Pixelbook pen holder an eight out of ten, and it kicks aaaass.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
8" s2 with lineage 15.1 is the best Android tablet.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I can tell you the worst tablet. Nvidia Shield. Decent standby time and when you use it...dies after an hour. Got it for free from a friend. I didn't believe him is was that bad. Googling turns up a thread on the official forums with people having the same issue with no fix

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Anecdotal, but my wife's been actively using a Shield for over a year, and it's been straight up flawless. Battery holds up like a champ so long as she's not playing a full 3d game. A few hours screen-on, easy.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

So what is the best ~$200 8" Android tablet? My Fire HD is super slow if I'm doing anything more than one app at a time (apps force close if I switch between them) but tablets with >2GB seem to be slim pickings unless I pay closer to $300, at which point I might as well just get an iPad echo system be damned

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WhyteRyce posted:

So what is the best ~$200 8" Android tablet?

Sorry, really doesn't exist.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I can tell you the worst tablet. Nvidia Shield. Decent standby time and when you use it...dies after an hour. Got it for free from a friend. I didn't believe him is was that bad. Googling turns up a thread on the official forums with people having the same issue with no fix

I can say with my 2 Shield tablets that they didn't get to this point until over two years of daily wear and tear on the batteries. The Shield is still the best tablet I've ever owned for the price and I wish Nvidia had made a second gen.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Sorry, really doesn't exist.

Yeah that's what I thought. The M3 Mediapad looked nice but is >$250 and I have to root it if I want 5Ghz wifi to work. No thanks. At that price I'm near Samsung territory (and then maybe looking into rooting and custom ROMs, ugh) or just sucking it up and getting an iPad. Everything else has only 2GB and a 720p screen

If the Kindle Fire I have wouldn't poo poo itself when running more than 1 app (and I'm talking just switching between Chrome and Fire Emblem Heroes) it would be fine. I guess I can try the 10" which has half a gig more RAM but that's a very lackluster option

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 26, 2018

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

WhyteRyce posted:

So what is the best ~$200 8" Android tablet? My Fire HD is super slow if I'm doing anything more than one app at a time (apps force close if I switch between them) but tablets with >2GB seem to be slim pickings unless I pay closer to $300, at which point I might as well just get an iPad echo system be damned

Find an 8" tab s2 and put lineage 15.1 on it

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

I guess I can try the 10" which has half a gig more RAM but that's a very lackluster option

I'm on a 10" right now. I can do 2 apps max, as long as one isn't a game. Even simple things like Fallout Shelter kick its rear end and require multiple attempts to open.

It's fine for media, and that's about it. But for the $100 it cost, it's a good deal.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Did your friend give you one with a non explosive battery? Maybe he kept his old one instead of sending it back when they shipped him the non explosive one, then gave you the old explody one after he was done with it.

Go to settings, about tablet, status. If the battery section says B01 you're ok, if it says Y01 not so ok.

See here if it says Y01 https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/support/tabletrecall/

And I concur with the others, the SHIELD has been a great tablet for me even with the recall issue.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I have a new Fire 7". How do I keep this thing charged? If I charge it, unplug it, never touch it, and try to turn it on again the next day the battery is totally drained. The screen is off.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KingKapalone posted:

I have a new Fire 7". How do I keep this thing charged? If I charge it, unplug it, never touch it, and try to turn it on again the next day the battery is totally drained. The screen is off.

Why are you unplugging it when you don't want to use it in the first place?

Anyway one of the apps you installed may be constantly running, so check the battery usage next time its charged up and you can then take it off the plug and leave it for a few hours.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Don Lapre posted:

8" s2 with lineage 15.1 is the best Android tablet.

I am running Lineage on my Tab S 8.4 and am just about ready for an upgrade. I don't really like how the S3 doesn't have the button snap cover. Was waiting for the S4 but I don't think I want a 10.5" tablet.

I may be snagging an S2 off ebay.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

fishmech posted:

Why are you unplugging it when you don't want to use it in the first place?

Anyway one of the apps you installed may be constantly running, so check the battery usage next time its charged up and you can then take it off the plug and leave it for a few hours.

I unplug it so I can charge something else. I don't think I should need to remember to plug it in before I want to use it all the time. No other devices work this way. I'll check the apps.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

Any issues with Android DRM blocking things like Netflix or is that what Magisk is for

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

I just want to say I took this advice and I'm really happy with it so far

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I've got a Galaxy Tab A 6(the 2016 one) sm-t280. I've rooted it with TWRP and SuperSU, and can't still can't figure out how to install crap to the SD card on Lollipop. Any pointers?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is there a good tablet to be had between $300-400? I used to own the original Nexus 7 and an Asus 7" one (forgot the model). They work, but they got a bit too slow for my liking even with loading comic apps.

My main priorities are speed, storage size, and battery life. Size is at least 7" but I'm looking to get an 8" one or above for better screen size. I'm just going to use it to read comics which I can't do on my phone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Schneider Heim posted:

Is there a good tablet to be had between $300-400? I used to own the original Nexus 7 and an Asus 7" one (forgot the model). They work, but they got a bit too slow for my liking even with loading comic apps.

My main priorities are speed, storage size, and battery life. Size is at least 7" but I'm looking to get an 8" one or above for better screen size. I'm just going to use it to read comics which I can't do on my phone.

galaxy tab s2 8"

Has a micro SD slot

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Google ends major OS support for Nexus phones and Pixel tablet
The two years of major OS updates is over for the Nexus 6P, 5X, and Pixel C.
The death of the Pixel C means Google currently has no supported Android tablets.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/03/google-ends-major-os-support-for-the-nexus-phones-and-pixel-tablet/

Really feels like Google is totally throwing in the towel. I know it's all been building to this, but I feel like that's a pretty quick death for the Pixel C.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
If someone has cash to spend, what is considered the premium Android tablet around these days?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hughmoris posted:

If someone has cash to spend, what is considered the premium Android tablet around these days?

Pixelbook. It may sound like I'm being glib, but I'm not.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

I'm enjoying my Pixelbook as a tablet.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there a 7in tablet that runs close to vanilla Android and gets updates these days? Trying to replace a Nexus 7.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Is there a 7in tablet that runs close to vanilla Android and gets updates these days? Trying to replace a Nexus 7.

I've been doing some research and my discovery is no, there is not. I'm guessing you're want updates for development purposes and aren't looking to actually use it which makes it difficult because as far as I can tell with the dropping of the Pixel C there are no official Google-supported tablets at all.

The ones I've been looking at (admittedly the larger ones rather than the 7" size) have severe limitations like they don't work on 5GHz networks and have capacitive buttons which suck to use rather than on screen ones. They're also all on Marshmallow or maybe Nougat if you're lucky.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Yeah nothing exists. The 8" S2 Tab someone mentioned seems like the only decent option and you're still paying ~$300 for an old tablet and I'm just trying to force myself to finally hit checkout in Amazon for it. The Zenpad 3s is around the same price and has some nice specs and reviews but the bad reviews of it's build quality have been hitting a hard pass. The Mediapad M3 sounded nice until you find out that you have to root to enable 5Ghz. The S3 Tab is at stupid expensive levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I'm in the same camp of really wanting to replace my Nexus 7 but not liking any of the available options. Galaxy Tab S2 is definitely on my list, and i would already have pulled the trigger if it looked like it had better ROM support - but I might just suck it up and deal with the samsung touchwiz junk to get a better tablet with more battery life.