Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The ignore function works pretty well, except when people quote and respond to the muted poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
nm

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

business hammocks posted:

The ignore function works pretty well, except when people quote and respond to the muted poster.

:same:

I kicked them out of Let’s Play—the entire subforum—for this behaviour three months ago, and they haven’t learned their lesson since then. They were kicked out of BSS a few months even before that. Again, for the same reason. Did they learn anything? Yes, they learned to try harder at insulting people and upped their game to posting “Kill Yourself”s and random pedo accusations at people.

Just loving threadban them already, or people who actually want to use this thread for its intended purpose are going to abandon it... in larger number than many already have.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

DoctorWhat posted:

I have a personal stake in this, obviously, but I'm pretty furious about this.

I hear you, and I understand. That's absolutely why he was banned in the first place. And why the ice he skates on will be forever thin.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We don't necessarily want him banned, just banned from this thread.

Now that this has been voiced, again, it is very much under consideration.

Re: the ignore function. I see that as a useful tool, but shouldn't be a solution to a problem. I encourage anyone who is instantly enraged at encountering BOTL (or any other poster) to use it liberally, for your own comfort. Rest assured I don't consider it a replacement for moderation.

To further why I haven't already thread-banned BOTL; if people were thread-banned for contrary hot takes, I can think of many regulars who would be gone. Like Hoarace Bummerguy, by that criteria.

I don't want to set a precedence of thread banning for that reason. It'll stifle discussion and turn the thread into a clique.

This is why I am being very upfront and public with this opinion, and posting it here, knowing full well BOTL can see and read it. A threadban is "this close" (imagine, i dunno, a single pixel there?), you've been amply warned. If you're going to discuss and contribute, fine. But keep what's been said here in mind.

edit (want to make sure everyone is heard)

nine-gear crow posted:

they learned to try harder at insulting people and upped their game to posting “Kill Yourself”s and random pedo accusations at people.

A single infraction here will be thread-banned. If any of the pedo-suicide poo poo comes down anywhere I'm modding, I'll put forward a permaban.

lornekates fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 26, 2018

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Further; I realize I didn't make it clear-- but a single infraction in the RGD subforum (not just this thread), and I'll subforum ban BOTL.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ungulateman posted:

it's very easy to come to this conclusion if you a: don't read his posts or b: don't agree with any of his premises because they aren't what you already think

No I have seen him admit to it at least once.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I for one value BotL and the snobby intellectual persona he's so carefully cultivated.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Most disagreements with hbomb were philosophical and never got cruel in a personal or reductive way, but after getting a fairer airing of his sensibility I do feel guilty about coming at him as hard as I did about his approach to Man of Steel. Sorry, hbomb.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

HBG's terrible opinions are interesting and come from a place of logic, albeit terrible moon logic, and I'm glad he is occasionally sharing them in video form, where they derail the thread less and are usually funnier.

BotL just sucks.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

business hammocks posted:

Most disagreements with hbomb were philosophical and never got cruel in a personal or reductive way, but after getting a fairer airing of his sensibility I do feel guilty about coming at him as hard as I did about his approach to Man of Steel. Sorry, hbomb.

Please come back HBomb. We miss you :(

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BigRed0427 posted:

Please come back HBomb. We miss you :(

He can't hear you from all the YouTube money he's making.

Such a shame. He can afford to get banned once in a while now.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Hbomb is incredibly cool and good

The responses on Twitter that Hbomb gets for even daring to say things like “the prequels are good” shows why internet pop culture discussion is absurdly broken; how quick people are to assume earnestly held positions are trolling is a bit jarring. Equally jarring are the responses to him that immediately fall back to flaccid fanfiction to do with authorial/designer/creator intent when he talks about movies/Games/tv/whatever

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

Hbomb is incredibly cool and good

The responses on Twitter that Hbomb gets for even daring to say things like “the prequels are good” shows why internet pop culture discussion is absurdly broken; how quick people are to assume earnestly held positions are trolling is a bit jarring. Equally jarring are the responses to him that immediately fall back to flaccid fanfiction to do with authorial/designer/creator intent when he talks about movies/Games/tv/whatever

shut the gently caress up dude jesus christ

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Lord of the Rings prequels were bad.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Augus posted:

The Lord of the Rings movies were bad.

ftfy

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Alaois posted:

shut the gently caress up dude jesus christ

Ok so yeah I guess you...disagree?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

Ok so yeah I guess you...disagree?

i disagree with you posting at all

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Alaois posted:

i disagree with you posting at all

Based on what :psyduck:

This thread is aggro as hell holy moly

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

based on me being able to loving read with my eyes and think with my brain what you've already posted in this thread you mewling crybaby

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Alaois posted:

based on me being able to loving read with my eyes and think with my brain what you've already posted in this thread you mewling crybaby

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Well, I'm not sure if it technically counts as criticism, but I've really been enjoying Mike Rugnetta's series on Crash Course about the history of theater, so maybe if I post his recent episode on Aristotle and Greek tragedy, we can talk about something other than thread drama:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGlQkaoIfBI

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Alaois posted:

Nice custom text you’ve earned yourself with this post

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Alaois posted:

You, Waffles: neither of you have been probed for being shitheads to each other in public. Not sure what this is all about, but I think you've both made your points.

Alaois: Maybe you can not be a cheapass... buy whatever membership gets you private messages, then you two can fight it out in PM? Or, like, anywhere but in a thread where I'm going to end up getting a mod report from and then I'll have to do actual work.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sponges posted:

Nice custom text you’ve earned yourself with this post

couldn't even bother to figure out the red-text code, for drat shame

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

lornekates posted:

You, Waffles: neither of you have been probed for being shitheads to each other in public. Not sure what this is all about, but I think you've both made your points.

like legit i haven't got a single clue what his deal is or why he's all guns blazing, i genuinely don't think we've interacted before until now

also wasn't me who bought that custom title; this thread is toxic as gently caress

I Before E posted:

Well, I'm not sure if it technically counts as criticism, but I've really been enjoying Mike Rugnetta's series on Crash Course about the history of theater, so maybe if I post his recent episode on Aristotle and Greek tragedy, we can talk about something other than thread drama:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGlQkaoIfBI

It's cool to see Crash Course is still going; the earliest world history ones got me through work lulls way back in the day. John Green really built himself a little empire

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 26, 2018

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

A thing I wanted to bring up for two minutes at the start of the Night in the Woods analysis quickly spiralled into its own big thing and I'm slowly beginning to realise that I will never finish any of the projects I had in mind for this year, they'll only spiral into exponential pre-sub-chapters. Looking forward to watching an anime at some point in 2019

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

A thing I wanted to bring up for two minutes at the start of the Night in the Woods analysis quickly spiralled into its own big thing and I'm slowly beginning to realise that I will never finish any of the projects I had in mind for this year, they'll only spiral into exponential pre-sub-chapters. Looking forward to watching an anime at some point in 2019

Speaking of Night in the Woods, this was probably posted in this thread at the time it was uploaded but it recently came back up for me, but the RegularCars video about Night in the Woods and "Rust Belt Gothic" is a very good watch. Or listen. Since there's no real visuals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llvX0Ua15uk

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hbomberguy posted:

It can't be all bad if it keeps your 2018 anime-free. :v:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

a night in the woods is the best narrative about baby boomers ruining the world for future generations that could possibly be written

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

http://oswreview.com/media/oswreview70/

OSW review for the 2018 Royal Rumble starring Maffew from Botchamania

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Haven't gotten to them yet, but Poparena's next two Nick Knacks are on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyMfhC12NZw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnQGaRAfLls

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

Hbomb will you watch an anime if I tell you to

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

financially racist posted:

a night in the woods is the best narrative about baby boomers ruining the world for future generations that could possibly be written
Yeah I do find it surreal I regularly interact with Scott and Bethany at Pittsburgh DSA meetings now, especially since we are both involved in the eco committee. Really nice people who bring Little Caesars for the pot luck.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

The Shandfication Of Hbomb

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Hbomberguy posted:

Oh c’mon. Are you some A list actor? You don’t have time? Really?!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Don't worry hbomb: all you really need to do is point out that Night in the Woods is a toothless version of stuff like Clementine, or Meg, Mog, and Owl. Both of those comics are much better dark comedies about animal people living out shiftless, bleak lives than Night in the Woods, a game whose primary mechanic is interminable twee dialogues.

e: A comparison with Hot Fuzz would be obvious but maybe fruitful.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 26, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yeah, I'm confused, because when I saw you posting, I was like, "Wait, who are you again?" I don't remember you causing a fuss about anything (at least in this thread, anyway)

I do agree with you about the thread, though. I guess it bears repeating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km3uZCVQyiY

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

financially racist posted:

poo poo, I think I want to play this game now

Hbomberguy posted:

Looking forward to watching an anime at some point in 2019

Assuming Vento Aureo is even out by then :negative:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Any complaint about Baby Boomers ruining the world should be balanced out by a link to a New York Times article about Millenials. e: Like so.

Augus posted:

Assuming Vento Aureo is even out by then :negative:

Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy is the superior Vento Aureo.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Augus posted:

poo poo, I think I want to play this game now

It's really good. I'd passively avoided it because it was getting a lot of hype and I didn't want to be disappointed, but it really is a solid merger of strong themes, characters, aesthetic, and exploration. The different threads, the mystery plot and the characters' personal journeys, end up meshing in a really impactful way.

Also they manage to do the My Neighbour Totoro thing where tiny, insubstantial BS feels like just the most overwhelming conflict in the world when you're in the thick of it.

• Locked thread