Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

oh my god i immediately regretted that joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Shoenin posted:

One day they will bring SD3 outside japan
Theatrythm had a song from it, so there IS hope.

It also had songs from loving Live-A-Live, and that game’s too obscure and weird to ever get an English release.

Fister Roboto posted:

oh my god i immediately regretted that joke

This but every post I make.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 26, 2018

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

esperterra posted:

That's depressing tbh.

It's a good version of the game but RIP.

It gets worse.

Until FFVII, the only Final Fantasy that got released in Europe was Mystic Quest.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
At this point anyone who wanted to play SD3 probably has. But I sure would love an enhanced version on the Switch.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cleretic posted:

It gets worse.

Until FFVII, the only Final Fantasy that got released in Europe was Mystic Quest.

Nah we got FFL too. As Mystic Quest. Then they put Legend on the end of MQ proper because ???

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Europe getting Xenosaga 2 but not 1 is still the most hilarious thing, considering how directly connected the games are.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

seiferguy posted:

At this point anyone who wanted to play SD3 probably has. But I sure would love an enhanced version on the Switch.

I want to play SD3 but have been too lazy to look into it. But I do kinda doubt that we'll see it in the US officially any time soon

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

seiferguy posted:

:same: and include remote play for 2nd and 3rd characters
And why not a tuned "raid mode" that allows up to six players to go through maps and bosses?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tae posted:

Europe getting Xenosaga 2 but not 1 is still the most hilarious thing, considering how directly connected the games are.

thanks for the 8 hours of badly compressed cutscenes on a video DVD, Namco EU, real helpful

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I wouldn't mind a remake that changed some stuff. Most notably changing up MP so that "buy many MP items and spare your most recent magic" stops being the ultimate strategy for most of the game. Multiplayer would also be great.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The SOM remake gives me hope that an SD3 remake might happen.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Chrono cross had the best opening of a ps1 game ever that got all of my friends to start the game and not a single person finished it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The intro was definitely the best thing about CC

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Are you sure you want that though, given how that remake turned out?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Assuming they fix the bugs the only thing worse about the remake are the graphics and those are a matter of taste.
At the very least it makes it possible to get all the weapon orbs now.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The SoM remake is perfectly competent and there was a lot of love and work put into it despite what you may think on a surface level. The only things worth complaining about are extremely subjective.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Chrono cross had the best opening of a ps1 game ever that got all of my friends to start the game and not a single person finished it

They’re smarter than we are.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I remember all the game magazines giving Chrono Cross 10/10s, which got me incredibly hyped about it. It did just feel like a letdown from CT, by making so many characters that didn't have much uniqueness and using an element system to cover for it. Twice I got to the Aisle of the Damned and couldn't keep motivated to finish.

My girlfriend was shocked that I had never beat it. She beat it twice. On the other hand, she had never played Chrono Trigger before...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CT is one of my most cherished childhood memories w/ my brother and we were both hype af for CC to drop and both cried like bitches when Kid told the story of her childhood and thus what happened to Lucca.

Such a good loving game.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Back when Adventures of Mana (the SD1 remake) came out, there was an interview with the director where he said he wanted to remake SD2 and 3 in the same style. And now here we have a remake of SD2/SoM. Unless it completely and utterly bombs, I'm sure we'll start hearing about an SD3 remake (under whatever Mana title they decide to give it) in a couple of years.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
People complaining about lack of characterization for the party members in CC makes me wonder if they played CT since they were kids cause the cast in CT are also pretty thin. The quests/time Travel bits of CT are where the writing shines and the cast is kind of not really that robust or interesting.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The characters in Chrono Trigger, although limited by the length of script that can be fit on a SNES cartridge, are closely involved with the game's storyline. Each new era you visit puts you in contact with a native of that period who helps you out and later needs your help.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The problem is that every CC character says the exact same thing about everything, just with a different silly accent.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Like, every CT character also mostly says the exact same thing about everything, but the lines are more tailored to their personalities. Ayla will say she wants to beat it up, or Robo will beep boop about power levels or some poo poo. That's a far cry better than just adding CHA to the end of every sentence.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

People complaining about lack of characterization for the party members in CC makes me wonder if they played CT since they were kids cause the cast in CT are also pretty thin. The quests/time Travel bits of CT are where the writing shines and the cast is kind of not really that robust or interesting.

While this is true, there being less characters overall still gives them more room to work-- and each character is really distinct in their look and overall personality, so it's easy to tell them apart. The game is also pretty short and sweet and to the point, so the characters not being super fleshed out doesn't matter when you're going from awesome story beat to awesome story beat. And they all have optional stuff to do before the endgame that adds a little more to them.

Fister Roboto posted:

The problem is that every CC character says the exact same thing about everything, just with a different silly accent.

THIS is the biggest issue with CC, even moreso than a lack of any real development (the main characters do get a decent bit, but it almost feels drowned out amongst the useless non story characters. Serge, Kid, Glenn, Harle etc, hell even Nikki and some of the other demihumans, all have pretty distinct personalities and stories going on whether they're in your party or not-- though lbr some of these characters should not be optional). There being so many characters means we get little to no unique dialogue for when they're in your party, just the same poo poo fed through a different accent and that gets really annoying on multiple playthroughs or if you're doing NG+ to get a save that has all 44 on it.

iirc even characters like Kid and Harle get stuck with stock dialogue depending on where you are in the game, and that loving sucks.

e: ^^ also yah, having the samey dialogue be tailor made for each party makeup in CT goes a long way. they may be saying basically the same thing but it still makes a pretty substantial difference compared to 'literally the same dialogue with a different accent/vocal tic'

esperterra fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 26, 2018

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Like, every CT character also mostly says the exact same thing about everything, but the lines are more tailored to their personalities. Ayla will say she wants to beat it up, or Robo will beep boop about power levels or some poo poo. That's a far cry better than just adding CHA to the end of every sentence.

This is true, but I guess I just personally don't think the steps CT goes further with characterization is THAT much better. The CT cast doesn't really step over that threshold into being actual characters to me. So it all falls on the surrounding setting/plot writing and we're back to the earlier talks where I just find CC's chaos of ideas way cooler than CT.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Alxprit posted:

The SoM remake is perfectly competent and there was a lot of love and work put into it despite what you may think on a surface level. The only things worth complaining about are extremely subjective.

The SoM remake just has the misfortune of being a straight mechanical port of a game that kinda desperately needed a genuine remake. It needed some stuff fleshed out or added like the Lunar Palace. It needed combat tweaked a bit a lot. It needed animations to match up with hitboxes going both for the party and for enemies. It needed EXP numbers for weapons and especially spells adjusted. It got none of that and it just kinda comes of as really goddamn janky as a result.

It's a good game for people who want to play a port of Secret of Mana, but it's a bit of a failure as a $40 remake of Secret of Mana

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This is true, but I guess I just personally don't think the steps CT goes further with characterization is THAT much better. The CT cast doesn't really step over that threshold into being actual characters to me. So it all falls on the surrounding setting/plot writing and we're back to the earlier talks where I just find CC's chaos of ideas way cooler than CT.

I love that you seem to love CC as much as I do, I don't see many people who appreciate how amazing the game is despite the mess of its development and it feeling half done.

but

fwiw

that chaos of dope ideas CC has wouldn't hit nearly as hard if it didn't have the history of CT to build off of imo. There's so many little moments or even big moments where the real impact doesn't come unless you're familiar with/care about the characters of the game before it.

agree/disagree?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

esperterra posted:

I love that you seem to love CC as much as I do, I don't see many people who appreciate how amazing the game is despite the mess of its development and it feeling half done.

but

fwiw

that chaos of dope ideas CC has wouldn't hit nearly as hard if it didn't have the history of CT to build off of imo. There's so many little moments or even big moments where the real impact doesn't come unless you're familiar with/care about the characters of the game before it.

agree/disagree?

I kind of disagree, while there are parts that are improved by knowing CT, I think a lot of CC kind of stands on its own. I mean most of the setting literally didn't exist in CT, and I don't mean just the islands, but the dragons and your dwarves and fairy folk and the demi-humans (as they're used in the narrative) smashing up against the fantasy evil kingdom and Time-ruling Future Computer god all at once is something that stands on its own pretty well.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I kind of disagree, while there are parts that are improved by knowing CT, I think a lot of CC kind of stands on its own. I mean most of the setting literally didn't exist in CT, and I don't mean just the islands, but the dragons and your dwarves and fairy folk and the demi-humans (as they're used in the narrative) smashing up against the fantasy evil kingdom and Time-ruling Future Computer god all at once is something that stands on its own pretty well.

True. I wonder what I would have thought of CC if I had played it before CT. It's definitely removed enough from CT that most of the story works just fine on its own. But all the super important stuff is so tied to CT that I have a hard time imagining it hitting as well without that context. I guess they do give you a few brief primers on some stuff you may not know about the original game, so maybe it still works out p well in the end.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

esperterra posted:

True. I wonder what I would have thought of CC if I had played it before CT. It's definitely removed enough from CT that most of the story works just fine on its own. But all the super important stuff is so tied to CT that I have a hard time imagining it hitting as well without that context. I guess they do give you a few brief primers on some stuff you may not know about the original game, so maybe it still works out p well in the end.

You'd think it was this weird radical setting that was a little full of ideas for its developer's skill at the time and was much more interesting and fun that the prequel you went and played for the first time after you replayed Cross for the first time.

At least I did!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

See the positioning and enemy phase stuff is why I can't stand replaying Chrono Trigger. So much of making combat go quickly is being able to hit enemies in groups and there's no way to actually manipulate that so you just end up waiting 3-5 seconds on every dual tech to hit as many people as possible so a big chucnk of gameplay becomes just waiting.

Waiting of enemies to become hitable, waiting on enemies to move together, waiting for the animation on a dual/triple tech you've seen hundreds and hundreds of times to finish. As neat as they were the first time they get so boring so fast becaues they're mostly what you're using in combat that's not normal attacks. Cross at least gave you like 40+ people with 3 unique spells on top of the generic elements so if you got bored there were more to see so you could just swap out Mojoy for the Turnip.

I feel like you played CT wrong somehow. The enemies rarely move out of a pretty set configuration, so you pick the optimal techs and just attack. The techs animate quickly, so sitting around "waiting" for the enemies to get into formation to make the battle go "faster", uh, doesn't make any sense.

And I'm sorry, bitching about seeing the same animations a million times applies to every RPG ever. Even in CT you'll have seem the same elements used a hundred million times by the end. I love CC, don't get me wrong, but this seems like it's really reaching to find things to complain about in CT.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As somebody who played CT and CC for the first time about...4 years ago, I would say CT is the more competently put together game but CC is an ambitious and thus intriguing mess. Now, as my favorite games ever are Metal Gear Solid 2 and Xenogears, I love ambitious messes. But while I didn't think much of the CT cast outside of Magus and Frog, Magus and Frog are probably better characters than almost anyone in Chrono Cross except for maybe Kid and Harle. (Magus was supposed to be in CC and that would have made the game a lot better but...ya know. It's a mess) But there can be no question that CC is a much more interesting game to play. I really liked the battle system.

This conversation is making me want to replay CC. There are paths I could take that I didn't last time, and maybe I could even finish the Demihuman subplot since I totally failed to do that last time. Plus I could use different characters. I rolled with Serge, Kid an Karsh when I had most everybody. There certainly is a ton of other people to choose from. Kinda wanna use Draggy, I never even recruited him in my one and only playthrough, at least i don't think I did.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

esperterra posted:

Most of the "likes cc more then ct" folks got tired of talking about it years ago tbh (or at least I did)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I also think mgs 2 is the best in the series and ffta is one of my fav gba games, Marche was right, come at me

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
MGS2 isn't bad, but I can't see how it it better than 3. 4 was a movie and 5 is what it is.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
MGS2 has gotten better now that we can look at the rambling speech GW gives at the end is more visible in today's society. It's still not as fun to play as 3 or as atmospheric as 1.

FF3 DS gets shat on a lot for having less of a difficulty curve and more of just a pendulum that swings between "Look at us four badasses" and "Get curbstomped and go grind until the difficulty goes back to the first statement" but how is FF4 DS? I loved the SNES version and have the DS version kicking around... Somewhere... But haven't really put the hours into it.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I'd put MGS2, FFTA, and Xenogears into the category of "games that are great despite their flaws".

I'd group Chrono Cross with Xenosaga and FFVIII in the category of "games that have good ideas despite being trainwrecks". They're begging for a re-imagining, like how FFV was a realization of FFIII's job system.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

mandatory lesbian posted:

I also think mgs 2 is the best in the series

MGS2 is fantastic, and I like it the most, but I can't in good faith call it the best considering 3 is phenomenally well put-together. Also 2 wasn't really finished, which doesn't help either, though that might've been to its benefit. I can't imagine whatever was planned for Shell 2 originally would've added all that much in the end. Some of the cut boss fights would've been really cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeadButDelicious posted:

MGS2 has gotten better now that we can look at the rambling speech GW gives at the end is more visible in today's society. It's still not as fun to play as 3 or as atmospheric as 1.

FF3 DS gets shat on a lot for having less of a difficulty curve and more of just a pendulum that swings between "Look at us four badasses" and "Get curbstomped and go grind until the difficulty goes back to the first statement" but how is FF4 DS? I loved the SNES version and have the DS version kicking around... Somewhere... But haven't really put the hours into it.

FF4DS is good. Much harder than the SNES or GNA version, though