Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Epicmissingno posted:

Who's voting against who is decided by which doors everyone goes through, right? So what would that mean for these rounds? Everyone just picks a partner and votes, or the bracelet groups that make white count again? If it's the latter, then there's a serious flaw: if Sigma, Phi and Dio were to be in an arrangement where they would have had to all go through the same white door, then they all would have died.

Then again, with how much Akane and Zero know about what will happen across all the timelines, that eventuality probably wouldn't come up in any case.

The AB Game can be played any number of times once it passes the Star Round, by its own admission. It's just never come up before because of extraneous events every time we reach the Star Round.

Basically, everyone gets to faff around while every hour or so there's a voting round. For obvious reasons, this is not a compelling thing to show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Epicmissingno posted:

Who's voting against who is decided by which doors everyone goes through, right? So what would that mean for these rounds? Everyone just picks a partner and votes, or the bracelet groups that make white count again? If it's the latter, then there's a serious flaw: if Sigma, Phi and Dio were to be in an arrangement where they would have had to all go through the same white door, then they all would have died.

Remember, the White Doors were the last set of doors they had to go through. Once they got the Star Cards, they're just sitting around waiting to play the AB Game.

Edit: This is why I should read all new posts before responding. :argh:

DeathChicken posted:

I'm only surprised Sigma opening the door didn't result in seven people punt kicking him and laughing as they ran out without him.

It's okay. We're doing it to Dio. :v:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

Collapses I discovered this thread literally 2 days ago and finally reached the end! I'm kind of glad that I arrived at this point because I have played this game before and I don't really have to worry about spoiling.

However, there is something that I do want to bring up. When I first played the game, I had no idea it was the second in a trilogy. I had never heard of 999. So I went into this game completely blind. The story was great and I really enjoyed playing, but there were a few reveals that didn't really matter to me, such as with Tenmyoji with Akane's picture. I honestly thought it was character background, not earlier game background.

Anyways, my question is this; how many people played 999 before VLR, and do you feel that colored your playthrough more than it would have if you'd gone in blind like I did?

Also, great job with this playthrough, Fedule! Congrats on making it this far!

I did play 999 before this and it did make some things more interesting with Tenmyouji while also making the minor changes to Clover and the whole "no, Alice is actually just some random person" bit a touch annoying to me.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

We did it! Well done everyone.

(Except Dio).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Haha, I'm going to make a joke about a mummy at the end of 999."

"Hey Uchikoshi, we want a sequel."

"gently caress gently caress gently caress"

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Is this finally happening? Are we really reaching the end after almost five years? I didn't believe this day would come.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Eopia posted:

Is this finally happening? Are we really reaching the end after almost five years? I didn't believe this day would come.

You and me both pal.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I can't believe VLR and Danganronpa are both nearing the end at the same time. (Yes fine it isn't the same Danganronpa technically but)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

How many of those do you still have saved up?

Tons - I've been lazy about posting them the moment they're relevant, so I could probably delete plenty, and some just aren't quite as amusing in retrospect. I could probably do a clean-up round and just post the best of what's postable right now, but I'd hate to steal too much thunder from the ending, and there's still more information coming from the game that prevents me from highlighting many of the old posts.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

VLR OST: [Sublimity]

The dead, bleak landscape wasn't a surprise for me... I'd seen it before, in another timeline.

The others hadn't, however, and although I couldn't see their faces through the visors of their helmets, I heard more than a few gasps over the radio.

For a few long moments we just stood there, astonished.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

The...desert, I guess...?

I figured that out! I mean which one?!

I donno, but...
I think I know what day it is.

...?

Look at the moon. It's red, right?

So...?

So...

Are you suggesting we were sleeping for a week after we were abducted?

I think so...

Wherever we were must have been far away from any city... The air was clearer than I'd ever seen it.
But the most striking feature was the moon.
It was blood red and massive. Much bigger, in fact, than I remembered it being.

[Musi fades out]

Then, as I watched, a black spot began to move across its surface.

It was hard to see details, but it looked circular...

The spot continued to move across the moon, heading for the right edge.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

The Moon. Well, the Moon's shadow, actually.

The Moon's shadow?

I frowned.
That didn't make any sense.

Zero told me to stay quiet.
I think he was worried I'd spill the beans on his operation.
He said if I didn't toe the line, he wouldn't just kill me, he'd kill Quark too.
And I agreed, like an idiot, and brought Quark with me.

Just...just so I could see her... Such an idiot...

So, that being the case...
Might as well start with this.

VLR OST: [Demise]

What the hell are you saying?

Think about it.
If that's the Moon's shadow, then what's it falling on?

Yeah.

Then again, this isn't a lunar eclipse. It's a solar eclipse.
Anybody in the black spot down there is looking up at the moon covering the sun.

What...?
No! No way!
If that's the Earth, then where the hell are we?!

This is the lunar surface!
We were just inside a moonbase.

How do you expect us to believe that?!
This can't be the Moon...

Yeah.
That's pretty ridiculous.

Besides, if this was the Moon, how do you explain the gravity?
The Moon only has one sixth of the Earth's gravity.
So what's this?

See?
That looked perfectly normal.

Luna...?

[Music fades out]

I was one of the people who knew this wasn't Earth...

Well, I suppose I'm not "people," if we're being honest, but...

Excuse me, what?

Please, just listen.
Alice, you were infected with Radical-6.
Then we gave you the Axelavir, which cured you.
The Radical-6 isn't completely gone, though. Some of its symptoms stick around for a while.

What symptoms?

Um, well...

It can take a while for your brain to get back up to speed.

Every one of us has been infected.
In other words, all of our brains have been processing information at a much lower speed.
If you evaluated the root of one sixth, you'll get a number close to 0.408.
That means our brains are running at something slightly less than half speed...

VLR OST: [Clarification]

The time that it takes for an object to fall is inversely proportional to the square root of the gravitational acceleration.
Since the gravity is lower on the Moon, that means the time increases.
...I guess that's a little technical.
Let me give you an example.

Say you drop an apple from a height of 4.9 meters.
It will take approximately 1 second to hit the ground.
On the Moon, however, that time would be 1 second times root 6... Which would be approximately 2.45 seconds.
I used 4.9 meters because it matches up with the acceleration of gravity nicely, but it could be anything.
The gravity constant is, well, a constant.
You could drop something from 10 centimeters or 10 meters and it would be the same.

That being the case, what would happen if someone's brain slowed down by root one sixth?

To them, 2.45 seconds would feel like 1 second. 4.9 seconds would feel like 2.

But it's not hypothetical.
That's what's been happening to every one of us.

Wait...
You're saying that's the reason we didn't notice the weaker gravity?!

Huh?

You and Sigma and Phi said something about it in the lounge.
About how you felt weird...

I'm sort of...floating. Like that?

It seemed insane, but... What Luna said made sense.
In fact, it explained Phi's apparently superhuman strength quite well.

[Music fades out]

Look at it... I've seen photos of Earth, and it's blue, and green, and beautiful!

That thing is just...red!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Wow! What a cliffhanger! But before we worry about that, did anyone else think this little snippet of dialogue seemed kinda weird?

quote:

He said if I didn't toe the line, he wouldn't just kill me, he'd kill Quark too.

I mean, like, what? "Okay Sigma, I'm gonna tell you some stuff because Zero will murder me if I do that!"

Well, it turns out there's some dialogue (and narration) cut from this scene, for some reason. Here's the first chunk in context (cut content is in bold):

quote:

The dead, bleak landscape wasn't a surprise for me... I'd seen it before, in another timeline.

The others hadn't, however, and although I couldn't see their faces through the visors of their helmets, I heard more than a few gasps over the radio.

For a few long moments we just stood there, astonished.
Then I felt something click near my left wrist.
It only took me a second to realize it was my bracelet unlocking.

The suit was actually fairly loose, so with a little work I was able to shake the bracelet off my wrist and into my sleeve.

Oh... My bracelet...

Looks like they're coming off.

Where the hell are we?!

The...desert, I guess...?

And later on:

quote:

Anyway, our bracelets are off now.
Unless Zero's got some other trick up his sleeve, Quark and I should be safe.

I think it's time I told you the truth.
There's a lot you don't know, but...

Why was this tiny snippet of content cut so sloppily out of the script? Who the gently caress knows, man.

Anyway, here's one last hidden file I withheld:

Bracelet: 3

This one came from the Pantry. That was on the path to Dio's ending. I guess this technically qualifies as foreshadowing rather than outright spoilers, but it plays a little too fast and loose with the provision of plot information out-of-order to the player, so I sat on it. Anyway, it's never actually outright stated exactly how everyone was given Radical-6, and frankly it doesn't matter very much at this point, but, uh, I guess this is how.

Presumably Akane immunised herself.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Why cut those lines? I mean, you could still infer that they escaped from the game and Tenmyouji feels confident nothing will happen now that they're out of the nine door, but it still seems like a pointless omission. :psyduck:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Fedule posted:

This one came from the Pantry. That was on the path to Dio's ending. I guess this technically qualifies as foreshadowing rather than outright spoilers, but it plays a little too fast and loose with the provision of plot information out-of-order to the player, so I sat on it. Anyway, it's never actually outright stated exactly how everyone was given Radical-6, and frankly it doesn't matter very much at this point, but, uh, I guess this is how.

Presumably Akane immunised herself.

So how'd she infect Dio with it? Maybe her own bracelet was set not to trigger when she put it on so the virus on it would stay live for Dio (or maybe it just stabbed him with the bloody needle and he got it anyway, who knows). And on that note, what's the incubation time for Radical-6, anyway? Is it realistic that Dio would have almost immediately been overtaken by the same symptoms? Wouldn't he have noticed something? I guess he could have been keeping his cards close to his chest on this point too, but you'd think he'd actually try to get the Axelavir for himself in that case (unless he was planning to die anyway).

Also the obvious question of "how the gently caress did Dio get on the moon", assuming we can believe literally any of what we're being told.

What a very silly game.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh hey this section conveniently brought up that snippit from the Lounge I mentioned earlier about Phi feeling like her body is off. :v:

As I believe the saying goes: "Strap in kids, it's about to get loving weird."

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why cut those lines? I mean, you could still infer that they escaped from the game and Tenmyouji feels confident nothing will happen now that they're out of the nine door, but it still seems like a pointless omission. :psyduck:

come now, you wouldn't want this script to get bloated would you

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

theshim posted:

So how'd she infect Dio with it? Maybe her own bracelet was set not to trigger when she put it on so the virus on it would stay live for Dio (or maybe it just stabbed him with the bloody needle and he got it anyway, who knows). And on that note, what's the incubation time for Radical-6, anyway? Is it realistic that Dio would have almost immediately been overtaken by the same symptoms? Wouldn't he have noticed something? I guess he could have been keeping his cards close to his chest on this point too, but you'd think he'd actually try to get the Axelavir for himself in that case (unless he was planning to die anyway).

Also the obvious question of "how the gently caress did Dio get on the moon", assuming we can believe literally any of what we're being told.

What a very silly game.

Sigma and Phi had their bracelets on at the time as well. That leaves two options I can think of:
1. Radical 6 takes time to make someone experience slowed down time, and Sigma, Phi, and Akane we infected, but not at that stage yet.
2. Dio had Radical 6 before trying to kill Akane. Akane might have put a needle with the virus somewhere she knew that Dio would touch, so that could explain how.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Dio's brain just naturally runs at 0.408x speed

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Oh hey this section conveniently brought up that snippit from the Lounge I mentioned earlier about Phi feeling like her body is off. :v:

As I believe the saying goes: "Strap in kids, it's about to get loving weird."

This is your last chance to obey the Fasten Seat Belts sign.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gruckles posted:

Dio's brain just naturally runs at 0.408x speed
Dammit, beat me to it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I cannot remember how they're going to deal with everyone having Radical-6 when they gave the only two vials of medicine to Quark and Alice.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

PMush Perfect posted:

Dammit, beat me to it.

You’ve been beaten to the punch on a couple of jokes lately, sure you aren’t shitposting from the moon? :tinfoil:

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I cannot remember how they're going to deal with everyone having Radical-6 when they gave the only two vials of medicine to Quark and Alice.

I guess the only possible solution would be...

...seriously, dawg?

TheObserver fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 27, 2018

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

BlazeEmblem posted:

Sigma and Phi had their bracelets on at the time as well. That leaves two options I can think of:
1. Radical 6 takes time to make someone experience slowed down time, and Sigma, Phi, and Akane we infected, but not at that stage yet.
2. Dio had Radical 6 before trying to kill Akane. Akane might have put a needle with the virus somewhere she knew that Dio would touch, so that could explain how.

There's also the fact that Radical 6 is apparently contagious. An epidemic of that size wouldn't occur unless it was contagious in some form. Maybe all they needed to do was infect one person and the rest all caught it later on? It would explain why only 2 people out of 8 and a Gaulem showed any real symptoms.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 27, 2018

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
the real question is can they avoid the quad laser

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Fellis posted:

You’ve been beaten to the punch on a couple of jokes lately, sure you aren’t shitposting from the moon? :tinfoil:

You were beaten to this joke, too:

Ramengank posted:

I misread it as 380000km and thought you were posting this from the moon.

There was a lot of speculation early on about this possibly taking place on the Moon.

Kay Kessler posted:

Someone early in the thread speculated that since in Japan the rabbit is usually thematic for the moon, that we're in fact currently on the moon. That's... certainly a theory. :psyduck:

Umbilical Lotus posted:

... this isn't happening on Earth, rather on Mars or the Moon. This explains the ridiculous anime jumps. There is an explanation for the ridiculous anime jumps.

GilliamYaeger posted:

...Well thats interesting, since the people who were affected didn't seem to be talking at 4/10th speed.

Maybe everyone is infected, and are seeing things at a fraction of the speed they're actually happening at? :tinfoil:

A WHOLE lot of speculation...

Onmi posted:

It... explains Phi's jumping? But I mean how could you not notice the shift in gravity. And how would we even GET to the moon, I know the Zero Escape series is a little further into the future but launching a god drat rocket is still a task that requires a dedicated facility. It's not like there are just commercial space ship flights to the loving moon.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yes, while the idea "they're on the moon" did cross my mind a little while ago, I can't imagine that even Sigma would fail to notice the reduced gravity.

Alberenza posted:

If this were taking place somewhere off of earth, then there would be noticeable differences in gravity, crazy jumps aside. (There must be a different reason for those)
While moon bases may be possible, anti-gravity machines probably wouldn't be possible in 2028.

ProfessorProf posted:

I'm going to be so mad if the big twist of this game was that we all somehow walked around this facility for hours without anyone realizing that we were in one-sixth Earth gravity.

Oh no...

ProfessorProf posted:

I still refuse to entertain the notion that nobody noticed for the past 20 hours that we're in one-sixth Earth's gravity, and if that turns out to be the twist with no further explanation, I am going to lose all suspension of disbelief.

Ah, well, there was an explanation, so I guess it's all okay.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
So I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that, based on Junpei and Akane’s obviously advanced age, it definitely isn’t 2028 out there. The question would then become, “how did Alice and Clover not get old?” and the answer would have to be that they were in stasis.

It then follows that the purpose of the AB Game would be to transfer consciousness *way* back to before Radical-6 was a thing, which is perhaps facilitated by the freezing process - fewer decisions were made, so there’s less of a list of alternative universes? Dunno. By avoiding Radical-6, presumably this timeline gets eliminated and Akane and Junpei get to go on and live happily ever after, I guess.

Am I following along right?

E: hold on, if we’re seeing the earth from the moon and the moon is casting a shadow, shouldn’t it be lunar night?

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 27, 2018

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
...?

the loving moon?

:respek: Did not actually expect that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 27, 2018

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Maybe it's like 999 and it's not the real Moon, just like how it wasn't the real Titanic :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think you're just gonna have to suck it up and suspend your disbelief that this science fiction story about morphogenetic fields does not have the most accurate science.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I mean if we're going to go down that road the very idea of Radical-6 having that kind of effect is absurd, and that's been part of the story for ages. It's just the kind of thing you have to accept that it does work that way and messes up their perception enough to not notice the different gravity.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Y'know, the sequel to the game where one of the main characters died 9 years ago and was trying to prevent themselves from dying and also was explicitly not a ghost of any kind.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

BlackPersona posted:

Maybe it's like 999 and it's not the real Moon, just like how it wasn't the real Titanic :v:

I think you may be on to something, what we're missing is the other scenario of intense yadda yadda that they're transferring the information to...

As well as who the gently caress Phi is

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Who's to say Radical-6 didn't fundamentally alter the way gravity works? Across all of space like some kind of messed up Ice-9? There's your raised stakes, Sigma's got to go back in time to re-correct natural laws!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 27, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, in this case, not really? Most people aren't going to be preoccupied with how a fictional disease would REALLY affect one's perception of lowered gravity.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
so you are just anti-fun, got it

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

:lol: it never occurred to me that people could actually get angry at this plot twist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

My apologies. Apparently it is expressly forbidden and wrong to say anything even remotely negative about the writing of this game.

drat dude chill you ain't gotta flip out and delete your posts

• Locked thread