Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
A render of the grinder I am working on in fusion 360. I have copied it as close as I could from Jeremy Schmidts design. Still a few pieces missing, such as the motor mount. He has plans for sale and a free sketchup model, but I wanted to make this using standard metric parts instead of working from imperial. No idea when I would build this, but I would like a better/bigger grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Very cool. While you're thinking about the motor: one thing that bothered me about his grinder is the motor crosses the pivot and required a big cutout on his table. If the motor was to the right, I think the bench would be simpler at the cost of a heavier flip and more footprint.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I most likely won't change that as I got a table I think the grinder will fit on nicely, and having the whole backside just hanging out over the edge will take care of it.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

On that topic!

I finally got to use a real belt grinder last week. I spent the money on some preferred abrasives belts (see their sample pack, which is what I bought, here : https://www.preferredabrasives.com/product-category/coated-abrasives/narrow-cloth-belts/knife-making-starter-kits/) and was astonished at how much faster and easier it was. Now I want one for myself.

The grinder I used was this one : http://www.grizzly.com/products/Knife-Belt-Sander-Buffer/G1015

It was plenty good enough. Only REAL downside is the lack of variable speeds. However, for $665 shipped to my door, that seems to be the best value for a working belt grinder for knifemaking.

Every other kit I've looked at, once you add in the cost of the wheels and a VFD motor with controller, you're way past $700. It seems that $1,000 to $1,2000 is the minimum investment for the next level belt grinder.

So, before I pull the trigger, am I wrong? Any better suggestions on how I could get a better tool for less money?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I need to do some calculations myself before I know what this will cost. I have no idea about some of the materials, the 40x40mm bar will probably be expensive. Probably looking at hundreds of euros in material costs I am guessing so I will be nibbling away at it slowly, a little there and so forth....

Wheels I plan to make myself using my lathe, no idea what round stock alu like that costs. Bearings probably 30-50 euros depending on quality. Motor I already got, cheapest VFD I can swing I figure will be 150€.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Could you modify it to use 20 and 25mm steel box section, they sleeve into each other? And spec it to use 608 skate bearings?

I could cast the alu wheels for you :heysexy:

I take it you’ve had a look through http://www.homemadetools.net/site/search?q=belt+sander for ideas as well?

Rapulum_Dei fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 18, 2018

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

That would defeat the purpose of this grinder, to be heavy duty af. That's why Jeremy designed it this way and I am just redoing his plans with the closest metric equivalent.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

His Divine Shadow posted:

A render of the grinder I am working on in fusion 360. I have copied it as close as I could from Jeremy Schmidts design. Still a few pieces missing, such as the motor mount. He has plans for sale and a free sketchup model, but I wanted to make this using standard metric parts instead of working from imperial. No idea when I would build this, but I would like a better/bigger grinder.

Neat! As a metric man in a metric land, would you mind sharing these as IGES or something when you're done?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Wheels I plan to make myself using my lathe, no idea what round stock alu like that costs. Bearings probably 30-50 euros depending on quality. Motor I already got, cheapest VFD I can swing I figure will be 150€.

Have you considered casting oversized wheel blanks and then turning them to size on the lathe?
seems like its pretty easy and melting aluminium doesnt take much in the way of a furnace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii_Zx0vm9ls

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

echomadman posted:

Have you considered casting oversized wheel blanks and then turning them to size on the lathe?
seems like its pretty easy and melting aluminium doesnt take much in the way of a furnace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii_Zx0vm9ls

Haven't really thought about that, but I might have to do so given some of the prices I am seeing. Unless I can find some suitable scrap for cheap.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Neat! As a metric man in a metric land, would you mind sharing these as IGES or something when you're done?

I don't know what IGES is but if it's a 3d model fusion 360 can export I suppose that would be OK. I don't want to cost Jeremy Schmidt any sales, but he's offering his model for free too, only charging for a build guide, so I figure I can do the same.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Delrin could also be another, possibly suitable material.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

We've got a couple 200mm belt width sanders that came with aluminum wheels. We have them anodized for about $50. The life goes from about 1000 hours to about 10,000 hours. Our units are sealed up pretty well and that helps some. Might be worth the extra effort.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

I don't know what IGES is but if it's a 3d model fusion 360 can export I suppose that would be OK.

Pretty sure it can. IGES is a standardised CAD format which isn't tied to any particular vendor, required by a lot of governments and such so most CAD packages support it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, it's ancient. I think the first version of the IGES spec is from the 1970s.

STEP is the new (~1995) hotness though. I've had better results with complex geometry with that format. Give them both a shot.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Oh man, IGES takes me back to my old modeling/FEA days (10 years ago). It seemed like a really old file type back then. :allears:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Is there a thickness of 304 stainless which is thin enough to be bent on a manual benchtop brake but also thick enough to be welded with 0.035" flux core?

edit: Or is it worthwhile to invest in an argon bottle so I can use 0.030 solid wire?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 22, 2018

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, it's ancient. I think the first version of the IGES spec is from the 1970s.

STEP is the new (~1995) hotness though. I've had better results with complex geometry with that format. Give them both a shot.

Yea for universal solid format I've had a LOT more success with STP than anything else.

loving Solidworks sucks, you can't open a Solidworks native file if it was made on a version just one year newer.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Do we have a CAD and/or general drafting thread around? Thought there might be some crossover with this one so y’all might know.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

+1 for step files being the most useful default.

I get a lot of iges files at work and they're a pain in the rear end to stitch together into something fusion / Autodesk likes. Anyone know of a good piece of software to make it easier?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

honda whisperer posted:

+1 for step files being the most useful default.

I get a lot of iges files at work and they're a pain in the rear end to stitch together into something fusion / Autodesk likes. Anyone know of a good piece of software to make it easier?

Something like that happens I usually go back to the customer and ask for a stp file. Have had better luck with x_t over iges also.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I would like to read/post in a thread about CAD. Is Fusion360 good?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well this model isn't done yet but here's an IGES and STEP file since I don't know when I'll actually complete it.

IGES: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aOuR6_-_6cOFfYJ74byCo9w-wBeyuDPM
STEP: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gHBdpJTzZG6FHoOU-LRKYVygGS_S06HZ

I haven't checked that these files look alright or anything, just exported from fusion.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

loving Solidworks sucks, you can't open a Solidworks native file if it was made on a version just one year newer.

It seems really dumb, but there's a valid reason for this. SolidWorks models are entirely parametric; i.e. they are comprised of a list of operations performed to build the model, not just a record of the final geometry. The model is regularly rebuilt from the ground up in the modeling process, starting with the first operation and proceeding through the history tree until the geometry is complete. That's what gives it the power to e.g. go back and change the height of the first feature and have everything else update instantly to match.

Problems occur if SolidWorks decides to change some of their modeling algorithms in the new version of the software. An extrusion is probably still an extrusion, but perhaps the loft module might have been improved in some way, for instance. So when you open the newer file in the older software, the lofts get rebuilt using the older algorithm, and the geometry ends up slightly different than you expected, and there's no way to correct or compensate for it. To avoid that situation, SolidWorks just removes all forward-compatibility.

If you just want the final geometry, you can export from the new version as STEP and re-import into the old one. You lose the parametric history but any software can read the model because at that point it literally is just a description of the shapes. That's the tradeoff you'll always have to deal with.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

DreadLlama posted:

Considering it’s free it’s very good with a couple of caveats; you need to be online to use it; it stores your work on their servers and there’s no guarantee it’ll keep being free forever. The design apps for phone and tablet are cool too.

There is a way to provide read only or shared access to individual designs or folders so you can collaborate with other fusion users. Or link to the design so you can download it in whatever format.

It can also do CAM toolpaths but I keep forgetting to record the make and model of milling machine at my local shop to configure the output script.

I had my first attempt at CAM this week. And I like it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

If you just want the final geometry, you can export from the new version as STEP and re-import into the old one. You lose the parametric history but any software can read the model because at that point it literally is just a description of the shapes. That's the tradeoff you'll always have to deal with.

Yea, I get why there is a reason for it. But being a job shop, we are 99% of the time just dealing with the final geometry. Pretty much the only reason we have solidworks is to convert faces to 2d to make cam paths, since solid have become much more ubiquitous in the past 5 years or so.

I'm just complaining because it's a pain in the rear end when engineers send sldprt files on a brand new version of SW and then I have to call and get a stp or whatever.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

DreadLlama posted:

Very good. At least as cam software. The modeling seems fine too but I use it almost exclusively for the cam side.

You can save the files locally but it's under export and kind of a pain.

It's free for hobbiests and cheap for professional use. $300 for the basic package per year, $1500 for 4/5th axis and probing. Best part was the included post processor for my machine did 4th axis perfectly without modifications.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Cool! I haven't gotten into all the settings yet. Are there any CAD programs that include beam/joist span tables? Like if I draw a 10 ft. lintel would a program be able to tell me how thick it needs to be depending on material?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

DreadLlama posted:

I would like to read/post in a thread about CAD.

If you want one, just make it and continue the discussion there. No need for a fancy OP that'll be outdated in 6 months anyway.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

I switched from Solidworks to Fusion360 and have been pleased. Turbo cad nerds call out things they don't like, but whatever, all of my assemblies are under 50 components and it meets my needs perfectly. The CAM is icing on the cake. I have no idea how well the simulation side or rendering or animation is. I have the pro version as well.

The local storage is an issue with our production stuff as technically any customer print has to be stored in our document system. So all I use it for is internal machinery and projects like that. The cloud is nice and all, but sometimes I want it on the cloud and on my server. CAM wise I've only done the basics, we don't get real crazy with it so I've no idea how it handles the wilder stuff.

My favorite feature lately is direct importing from McMaster Carr. Like holy gently caress, right in 360, find my part, drag and drop, boom-done. If I could do that with Bimba, all I'd buy is Bimba. If I could do it with Festo, boom, they get my money. I loving hate speccing it out, downloading a zip, that's not named "4 inch cylinder" but instead aaabbbdkjfkdhsg389464.zip, making a folder, unzipping it all, then going back to the modelling software, finding it, and realizing I needed the 4 1/4" cylinder and repeating the whole process.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A lot of times, companies offer enterprise grade options, including localizing cloud functionality to live within a company’s own network. If Autodesk doesn’t have that option, they’re missing out, for the very reason you just described. And some people might say, “ehhh, company just needs to update its policy” but like, if you’re working for, say, JPL and under NASA/DoD requirements for data control, lol good luck with that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Making everything cloud and database dependent is great if you’re a big company, but a huge pain if you’re a small team or working on a small project that doesn’t require subversion synchronization and hundreds of individual parts that have a whole person dedicated just to data entry. Sometimes you just want to save to a flash drive.

Looking a tiny you Zukan :argh:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
As someone who has no need to collaborate or share files with anyone, who has spotty/inconsistent access to an Internet connection where I use my mill and no Internet connection whatsoever on my dedicated Mach3 computer, The Cloud is such a goddamn pain in my rear end, and having it be a mandatory aspect of Fusion that you can only take vacations from instead of being a nice add-on if you need it is frustrating- no importing/exporting of other file formats beyond iirc simple save as .stl/.dxf options. If Autodesk's servers go down you can get hosed by it- after they had a day-long outage a year or so back they added more offline data cacheing functionality, but it's still something you have to opt in to for a given project.
And, of course, The Cloud takes ultimate control of your work away from you- even locally-cached files are automatically deleted after a period of inactivity so you can't really back up your own body of work locally without resorting to exporting it as just a boring ol geometry file.
I don't make use of any software that invokes The Almighty Cloud and requires always-on/frequent internet connectivity if I can possibly avoid it, so I'm not exactly the most objective about this, but it definitely doesn't help my pre-existing latent crankiness about a lot of Autodesk's design choices with Fusion.

(oh yeah if you wanna post about CAD/CAM stuff the hobby cnc thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558051 is prolly the best place to do it)

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 22, 2018

Mudfly
Jun 10, 2012
In my neck of the woods, this surface grinder seems cheap - Is this type any good though? I know little about them.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brendale/miscellaneous-goods/surface-grinder-industrial/1145940163
The grinding part looks like its facing down.
edit: nvm, a blanchard grinder then, which isn't as accurate as a precision one or as versatile.
Edit2: Wow, this just came up - https://www.machines4u.com.au/view/advert/SURFACE-GRINDER/417594/ - seems very cheap for Aus. I'd need it trucked about 900km to my place though.

Mudfly fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 23, 2018

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Blanchard grinders are really cool machines. They serve a different role from a surface grinder though. For making things very flat in a short amount of time there isn't a much better way.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

The export .fd3 format brings model, sketches, toolpaths etc. out with it. It is a pain to export every program that way but it does work.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Yooper posted:

Blanchard grinders are really cool machines. They serve a different role from a surface grinder though. For making things very flat in a short amount of time there isn't a much better way.

I used one in high school and it was pretty fun, but holy poo poo they had let the coolant go bad it was probably in there for like 3 years. Worst thing I've ever smelled. I now always associate blanchard grinders with really bad rotten eggs.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Did anyone mention Edge Precision back when we were talking about youtube channels?

I can't tell if he doesn't have as big of a subscriber count because he mostly works on machines none of us will ever afford, or because his video style just isn't for everyone like this old tony.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

M_Gargantua posted:

Did anyone mention Edge Precision back when we were talking about youtube channels?

I can't tell if he doesn't have as big of a subscriber count because he mostly works on machines none of us will ever afford, or because his video style just isn't for everyone like this old tony.

I've watched his stuff, it's interesting. That Integrex is crazy big

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

VFD's seem to be getting cheaper by the month, never seen such a cheap one, (68 euros) I wonder how poo poo it is.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/220V-Varia...xgAAOSwV~VaN5Pl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
Continuing my blacksmith journey I have made a thing: