Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black King Conga
Mar 30, 2011
So is DW8XL still the recommended game to buy? Seems like DW9 is more of a wait for a sequel game which sucks because it looked like fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Yeah, if you're looking for that setting, it's probably your best bet. I like Pirate Warriors 3 the best, overall, for it's gameplay, but obviously it's a very different setting. I just think it does everything really well.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
...I'm honestly finding it kind of hard to go back to DW8:XL after putting a lot of time into Pirate Warriors 3 and Samurai Warriors 4-II. I enjoyed 8XL enough the first time around, but by comparison to some of the other series the mainline game feels really... unpolished, in a lot of ways. Individually minor, but they paint a pretty damning picture with the benefit of hindsight.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Ghost of Starman posted:

...I'm honestly finding it kind of hard to go back to DW8:XL after putting a lot of time into Pirate Warriors 3 and Samurai Warriors 4-II. I enjoyed 8XL enough the first time around, but by comparison to some of the other series the mainline game feels really... unpolished, in a lot of ways. Individually minor, but they paint a pretty damning picture with the benefit of hindsight.

This was my experience as well. PW3 was such a good experience and SW4/II had such good overall gameplay that 8XL (and Orochi 3 IMO) feels kinda substandard now.

I've taken a year off of Warriors games and having come back to play DW9, I'm kind of looking forward to revisiting 7XL and 8XL now.

DW9 is more fun than some people might lead you to believe but I'm at 10 stories cleared at this point and the overall garbage quality of so many elements of the game is definitely causing it to get stale quicker than other titles.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Airspace posted:

For a small project I have brewing, I've got a question for real old-school KOEI fans.

Are there any major gameplay differences between the SNES and PSX versions of ROTK IV?

Twitch plays the unification of china

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I honestly don't get what people like about Pirate Warriors. I played through it and it felt like a chore. I feel DW8XL is far superior. In fact, I think Pirate Warriors is probably one of the weakest Warriors games I've played.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Depends if you don't care about combat and like more of the objective-style of 8XL.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The absolute best character movesets in the entire series (imho) combined with a fairly solid campaign with a couple of missteps (coughthrillerbarkcough) combined with a pretty expansive side mode means it's one of the most complete packages for a Warriors game. I'd say the only game really competing with it in all categories is Hyrule Warriors.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Combat in PW3 was definitely the best in the series.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Jack Trades posted:

Combat in PW3 was definitely the best in the series.

Probably, especially with the dash/guard break mechanic that makes fighting bosses actually interesting, though in the endgame the game definitely breaks down into just spamming kizuna specials.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Huh. I hated the combat in PW3 and feel DW8 has the best combat so far. DW9 would be the best but they introduced that annoying dodgeroll, which enemies can do infinitely, thus making them even more annoying to fight than ever before.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I wonder if I'm in the minority in thinking that Samurai Warriors combat is terrible. Hyper attack just makes every character feel like a giant broom.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

PureRok posted:

Huh. I hated the combat in PW3 and feel DW8 has the best combat so far. DW9 would be the best but they introduced that annoying dodgeroll, which enemies can do infinitely, thus making them even more annoying to fight than ever before.

DW8 feels really stiff after playing PW3/HW/FEW imo. The best characters in DW8 were the ones who favored weapons that could dash-cancel their combos, so it makes sense that they made that baseline for every game after that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tashigi is still probably my favorite character to play as, followed recently by Lyn from FE.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Can I ask, what difficulty were you experiencing most of DW8 at? Because right now I'm in a looong awkward part where Easy is too easy but Hard is still mostly HP-sponges that block way too much and a stray Musou combo can probably one-shot me.
The awkward part is that getting 4-star weapons for everybody would seem to be the answer, but those apparently don't start dropping until higher levels of Hard, or are gated behind lots of grinding in Ambition Mode, which is probably my least favorite of the series' side modes so far. :(

Tae posted:

Tashigi is still probably my favorite character to play as.

:hfive:

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 26, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's, uh, a difficulty in between Easy and Hard I'm pretty sure

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Sakurazuka posted:

There's, uh, a difficulty in between Easy and Hard I'm pretty sure

It seems like that'd be a pretty Normal thing to have, yeah.

I actually just picked up 8XLC after the trepidation over 9, and then started playing it when that got confirmed. I like it, and pretty much like the Subjugation phase of Ambition mode, but hoo boy was getting that unlocked ever unfun. It's fast enough once you realize almost all your progress is from the Barracks and Stables, with actual skirmish missions just being the 30s diversion it takes to proc another Barracks/Stable materials drop, but that doesn't make it interesting.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Tae posted:

Tashigi is still probably my favorite character to play as, followed recently by Lyn from FE.

:yeah:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Tae posted:

I still haven't dared put Astra on Lyn/Navarre

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

After a poor initial reaction, DW9 is growing on me. Now that I've got the hang of the combat system Im really starting to enjoy it, though as previously said it'd be nice if the AI dodged less, tanked damage without flinching less and was instead a lot more aggressive to make up for it.

Gotten through the Wu story with Sun Jian, Shangxiang and Zhu Ran. Now playing the legend of Dong Zhuo, doting grandfather.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I wonder if I'm in the minority in thinking that Samurai Warriors combat is terrible. Hyper attack just makes every character feel like a giant broom.

I agree. Hyper attack (and mid-battle character switching) were the two worst things added in SW4. I like DW9's compromise: you can rush toward enemies, but you still have to attack them normally.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

AzraelNewtype posted:

It seems like that'd be a pretty Normal thing to have, yeah.

:doh: Not sure what I was trying to say there, exactly. But the real problem is that Normal is just a slightly more time-consuming version of Easy; neither of them will give me the weapons I need to make a proper go at Hard. It's all moot now, because I finally hit the point in Ambition where the Barracks feeds you weapon materials that the Merchant can double into facility material while the Farms pay for it - but I'm not happy about it. :mad:

Was the Ambition mode changed from base 8? I could totally believe it was some half-baked attempt to revamp a working system that gave us what we have in this version. :geno:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I agree, hyper attacks suck. My eyes just glaze over because every single character becomes a smear of color until you happen across an officer, at which point you go "boing!" off them like a loving dolt.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Ghost of Starman posted:

:doh: Not sure what I was trying to say there, exactly. But the real problem is that Normal is just a slightly more time-consuming version of Easy; neither of them will give me the weapons I need to make a proper go at Hard. It's all moot now, because I finally hit the point in Ambition where the Barracks feeds you weapon materials that the Merchant can double into facility material while the Farms pay for it - but I'm not happy about it. :mad:

Was the Ambition mode changed from base 8? I could totally believe it was some half-baked attempt to revamp a working system that gave us what we have in this version. :geno:

It's not changed, it's extended. When you finish it, they add a second mode that's actually interesting. It's basically a series of Duel maps instead of the much more limited fights, but you fill up your side with subcaptains and lieutenants who actually leave your service if they retreat, and they added back strategic points that have effects on your army. There seems to be a hard cap on morale to be slightly less than 50% though, so bad things can and will happen as you try and subjugate the whole map. It's... not great, but it certainly beats skirmish/great battle/unconventional battle ad nauseum.

Also you should level the stables quickly too, as they give out mats when you feed the animals. Don't bother trying to min-max them, as that just adds weapon and animal rewards. Remember to absolutely put a supervisor at the farm while you're at it too, since they occasionally pick up materials too. It's random, but every little bit helps. Just don't level the merchant until last, since at 50 the exchange becomes 1:1 since you keep getting materials long after you have any use for facility materials.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Yeah, finally got the Tonk Tongquit Tongquetae Emperor Depository up and running. (Thanks for the tips, Azrael) Here's hoping these new fights add enough of a new wrinkle to keep it fresh. :shobon:

Edit: ...actually, it's pretty good! I don't know how/what I'm supposed to do to to prevent the attrition of my allies when we're fighting a two-front battle; or if I'm just supposed to eat the loss and defeat enough enemy officers to make up the difference. :raise:

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 27, 2018

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Ghost of Starman posted:

Yeah, finally got the Tonk Tongquit Tongquetae Emperor Depository up and running. (Thanks for the tips, Azrael) Here's hoping these new fights add enough of a new wrinkle to keep it fresh. :shobon:

Edit: ...actually, it's pretty good! I don't know how/what I'm supposed to do to to prevent the attrition of my allies when we're fighting a two-front battle; or if I'm just supposed to eat the loss and defeat enough enemy officers to make up the difference. :raise:

As long it's just trash characters you can basically not worry about it for a bit. They do die bullshit fast, but the captain goes down last, so you should have some warning. Having Red Hare helps. Anybody you lose can be grabbed in the old Great Battles at least, though you have to have unlocked them in subjugation mode at least once, which means playing every drat zone like 4 times. Since you can get 100% in two (hard or higher), it's sort of a drag, but if you want to cheese levels via the academy for ease of 6* weapon unlocks there's nothing else for it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Are there any other games or series' with a similar mission based structure to the Warriors ones?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
We need Sugoroku to come back from Samurai Warriors 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g9Zn3xhk64

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
this is it fellas, this is the year that the ikko ikki guy from sw1 will finally be playable

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

What's the general opinion on Fire Emblem warriors? I never got to play it but the Zelda one was one of my favourite warriors games of all time as it was so well made.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
FE Warriors plays fine. Main grievances are that there are a fair few clone movesets (the Pegasus knights all share the same moveset, as do the archers, and there's a few other clones littered here and there). Otherwise it's still good hack and slash mayhem. There are also less duds in the movesets - HW had some weapons that were actively unfun to play and the worst FEW movesets don't come close.

There's also a bit more strategy than HW as you can use the pause menu to order the units you aren't playing as to move, take bases, protect bases etc. When you're nowhere near them they are surprisingly competent. If they're within visual range they don't do poo poo.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

PureRok posted:

We need Sugoroku to come back from Samurai Warriors 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g9Zn3xhk64

"I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL..."

-rolls dice for double 1-

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Sad to see even Jim Sterling is spot on about DW9. Ugh wasted.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I've actually warmed up to it the more I play. It's not awful imo.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
DW9 feels like it requires you to play it a certain way, even though it's open world. Try to restrict the use of the hook as much as possible, otherwise every mission really does become "Go here -> Climb over wall -> Kill main dude -> repeat". Once you slow down and spend more time just fighting the grunts and letting things like battering rams and siege towers do their thing it becomes a bit more enjoyable. It also helps that they recently patched the game so the AI is more aggressive in general, in addition of a few other changes.

Edit: Also, after playing several characters of various kingdoms, it seems Shu characters get the most variation in missions per character. Surprise surprise.

It's still deeply flawed, but I don't think it's the dumpster fire a lot of kneejerk reactionists are making it out to be. I mean, I have 56 hours into it so it's clearly not completely terrible.

Also, unrelated, I did various measurements of DW9 vs. real world and found the map seems to range between 1:89-93 scale (it seems to fluctuate, but most measurements were closer to 90.). That just makes the logistics of the war appear even more insane to me considering the time period.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
A remaster of DW3 or DW5 with all the new characters would be better than my experience with DW8 and 9. DW7 was ok too, good story telling.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
7's version of the scene where Liu Bei is informed of the deaths of his oath brothers is so well done that it feels out of place in a dynasty warriors game. If we could have that level of presentation with the story mode structure of DW5 (sovereigns get long campaigns while individual officers get short, 3-6 mission musou modes hitting their highlights) it might be the perfect musou from a storytelling standpoint.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

WARRIORS OROCHI 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjOcGq-8EWA

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
using DW8 as a base. hahaha

Don't you dare gently caress this up Koei

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

WO3U is a tough one to beat, let's hope they can pull it off.