Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Latinx is a gender-neutral form of Latina/Latino. Because Griffin's character is not gender neutral, he could just be saying latino, but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dolash posted:

I was unfamiliar with the term. Is Latin ambiguous? I briefly considered hispanic might be considered too nationality-specific since not everyone in central and southern America is connected to Spain, but surely that'd be even stranger for Latin?

It's an alternative to Latino/Latina since both aren't gender-neutral. It's also been in use for several years now at least.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also from talking to a lot of activists in that community there's a feeling among some that 'Latin' is a lot like 'Oriental', like you talk about 'Latin food' and all but it's a bit dehumanizing to use the same general 'other' terms with imperialist trappings to talk about humans.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
This is a genuine question from a place of ignorance: is there an established delineation between someone who would be considered Latin-American and someone who would be considered Hispanic? I've heard them used interchangeably, but the fact that Hispanic apparently isn't an accurate gender-neural alternative to Latina/Latino makes me think that's wrong.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Also an ignorant person here but I believe that Hispanic connotes a Spanish descent, which is not inclusive of the indigenous people from Central and South America.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Vargs fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 24, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Colonel Whitey posted:

Also an ignorant person here but I believe that Hispanic connotes a Spanish descent, which is not inclusive of the indigenous people from Central and South America.

It's not super well-defined, but that's about the gist.

And Latinx is for trans and non-binary people. There's Latin@ that I don't think took off, and is really shouting into the wind against centuries of Spanish lingual pride to make the word gender neutral, which I think is kind of problematic in its own way.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

It's not super well-defined, but that's about the gist.

And Latinx is for trans and non-binary people. There's Latin@ that I don't think took off, and is really shouting into the wind against centuries of Spanish lingual pride to make the word gender neutral, which I think is kind of problematic in its own way.

Latin@ is a million times worse than Latinx, verbally. That's a word crime.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
And dude there's a lot of problematic poo poo in Latino and Hispanic culture. Just because you don't hear it doesn't mean that it doesn't need to be addressed.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I’m tied of talking about race terminology, so don’t latin@ me.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Burnt through all of Amnesty while working today. MUUUUUUCH better than Commitment in setting, system, and characters. Would TOTALLY be on board for it as Season 2.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
None of it matters because race is a social construct. Being Latinx doesn’t even get you an extra feat or 60 ft dark vision or anything.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ojjeorago posted:

None of it matters because race is a social construct. Being Latinx doesn’t even get you an extra feat or 60 ft dark vision or anything.

i see you aren't familiar with some of the more horrid things to be produced in the d20 boom

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Serf posted:

i see you aren't familiar with some of the more horrid things to be produced in the d20 boom

now why'd you have to go remind a guy about d20 Modern

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just watched the first two episodes of the second half of The Tick and I just have to say it's loving ridiculous how much Griffin Newman looks and sounds like Griffin McElroy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/mbmbam/status/968137801949761537

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ojjeorago posted:

The Elder Scrolls VI: Dust

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ojjeorago posted:

Some of the best Reno 911 scenes involved Patton Oswalt's LARP group and his addressing the racial abilities Cedric and Niecy had and the looks on their faces.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Alaois posted:

now why'd you have to go remind a guy about d20 Modern

if d20 modern had assigned stat bonuses to the different human races it would have actually be bad in an interesting way and not just bad in a boring way

i own like 90% of the d20 modern line

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Some of the best Reno 911 scenes involved Patton Oswalt's LARP group and his addressing the racial abilities Cedric and Niecy had and the looks on their faces.

you can't not link that poo poo

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I really wish the gender-neutral term was Latiné. It's just better, I'm sorry. Just because you're trying to make a neutral term doesn't mean you have to throw Xes or internet symbols in there. Embrace the culture.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Latinii

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He should have just said "My character is Jimmy Smits from the West Wing" cause that's what he was going for. And I'm pretty sure Jimmy Smits is at least 1/4 werewolf.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

JT Jag posted:

I really wish the gender-neutral term was Latiné. It's just better, I'm sorry. Just because you're trying to make a neutral term doesn't mean you have to throw Xes or internet symbols in there. Embrace the culture.

it was a term decided on by the lgbt latinx community so take it up with them I guess

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

flatluigi posted:

it was a term decided on by the lgbt latinx community so take it up with them I guess
I guess it fits specifically in the context of an acronym for Latin peoples in the LGBT communities? But it's sort of been adopted, especially by the internet savvy and millennials, as the go-to gender-neutral term in general, and I don't really like it for that.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

JT Jag posted:

I guess it fits specifically in the context of an acronym for Latin peoples in the LGBT communities? But it's sort of been adopted, especially by the internet savvy and millennials, as the go-to gender-neutral term in general, and I don't really like it for that.

...no, it was picked by the LGBT Latinx community as a gender-neutral term in general and not co-opted at all. Also I don't know if you know what an acronym is.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Latinx is for non-binary, not specifically gender neutral.

Again it's just a less correct term for Griffin to use since he's clearly gendered his character; it's like if he kept using "they" interchangeably with "he".

Not incorrect, just weird.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The McElroy Thread: Let's Solve Latin America's Identity Politics

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

We’re probably thinking about this more than griffin, or many people in the latinx community. As is our birthright

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Latinx is for non-binary, not specifically gender neutral.

Again it's just a less correct term for Griffin to use since he's clearly gendered his character; it's like if he kept using "they" interchangeably with "he".

Not incorrect, just weird.

He does actually do this all the time though? And it’s hardly noticeable until you notice it, it doesn’t come across as overtly weird at all. Nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution if you’re worried about hurting people with your words.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Organza Quiz posted:

He does actually do this all the time though? And it’s hardly noticeable until you notice it, it doesn’t come across as overtly weird at all. Nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution if you’re worried about hurting people with your words.

Yo that's finna woke.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Yesss the McElroy thread is again about the horrors of wokeness and virtue signalling or whatever instead of how horrible Travis is, a welcome return to status quo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It seems like a fairly nuanced conversation about representation and diversity to me.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

barbecue at the folks posted:

Yesss the McElroy thread is again about the horrors of wokeness and virtue signalling or whatever instead of how horrible Travis is, a welcome return to status quo

Travis insists he’s woke, but if there’s a degree on his wall, I haven’t seen it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I know it's a super minor nitpick thing and you guys are probably going to give me poo poo, but I almost laughed at how silly Travis' exposition was to introduce his arc.

Yes buddy, it's a dry riverbed. There's no water. There used to be, and now there's not. It dried up. I get it.

That said I've got my hopes that this is the best arc and the exposition was something Griffin forced him to do.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And now we're back in the weird conspiracy theories part of the thread. Goody!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

West Virginia seems kind of super hosed up. Travis and Griffin were smart to get outta there. I live in Alabama so I'm not one to talk, but WV seems even worse.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I know it's a super minor nitpick thing and you guys are probably going to give me poo poo, but I almost laughed at how silly Travis' exposition was to introduce his arc.

Yes buddy, it's a dry riverbed. There's no water. There used to be, and now there's not. It dried up. I get it.

That said I've got my hopes that this is the best arc and the exposition was something Griffin forced him to do.

In your mind is Griffin like, the mystical source of bad DMing

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Raserys posted:

In your mind is Griffin like, the mystical source of bad DMing

He's a great DM but boy howdy does he like his exposition. The end of Balance really pushed him over the edge and I don't think he's returned yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Don't forget that Travis was the only person to give his character a long backstory before Balance even started. Not because Griffin told him to, or because that's what the fans wanted or something, but because that's just the type of person he is. This is how Travis was always going to GM, whether Balance happened or not.