Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Davinci posted:

If bogoodski made his own thread just to give updates on his progress and thoughts and reviews on the different shows he's watching I'd be totally down for following that thread.

I second this, I'd follow that thread too. Feels like it'd be a better place to give anime reviews than this thread too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Hot Take: Mob Psycho 100 is a bad introduction anime.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
because everything after is a letdown

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018
I might take up that thought about starting a new thread to provide some reviews from an anime neophyte.

This hasn't been the week, though, because I have a big interview tomorrow. Among studying for that, being addicted to the D&D Trump thread and generally agitating about the state of guns in America, I haven't had the time to dedicate to it.

Though, I have watched three episodes of Cowboy Bebop. While walking my doggo now, I'll tell you in summary that I've so far really enjoyed the show. I didn't think I had expectations but I must've because my general feeling is that anime or, well, the Cowboy Bebop version of it, wasn't what I thought.

I'm really enjoying it. I naturally tend toward hyperbole so I'm trying to be measured here. For each episode being so brief, I manage to buy in to the characters. During the first episode, I found the dialogue smart but just a little forced. It has been smoother, I think, in subsequent episodes. In summary, I'd say that I haven't been blown away yet but I feel like I'm being set up for that to happen.

Here's the thing. I know NOTHING about this show other than a lot of people have recommended it. I have no preconceived expectations and am totally free from my opinion being shaped by bias. So I hope that context makes my reviews at least a little unique. I really appreciate the interest.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's really interesting to hear that cowboy bebop wasn't what you expected out of anime

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

bogoodski posted:

being addicted to the D&D Trump thread and generally agitating about the state of guns in America

Oof, been there. Godspeed new goon.

Also keep posting your reviews as you watch classic things, I enjoy reading them. Maybe better to put in the chat thread, though some of the people there can sometimes be best described as Triumph the Insult Comic Dog: Text Edition. Don't let that dissuade you.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Cowboy Bebop is very different from most anime, fwiw. Beyond it's deliberate nods to Western/American culture (Cowboys, Jazz, Blues), it's a lot more deliberate and subdued in both tone and subject matter than a lot of popular anime.' It also doesn't have the 'problem' a lot of genre anime have that they expect their viewers to be familiar with aspects of their genre that the show will then play straight or subvert. EG, One Punch Man is a parody of the genre of superhero / battle anime that My Hero Academia is in. Both of these make it more accessible to Western audiences.

That's part of what makes Bebop such a good 'first anime'. The other parts are it's great dub and the fact that it is just straight up fantastic.

Please continue to post your thoughts; a new thread or the anime chat thread are both good choices.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Also Bepop is pretty old at this point. Especially if you watch the dub (you totally should) it may feel a bit rough around the edges.

A lot of the times I don't think I would have loved Cowboy Bepop and a lot of more older/rough anime (like the OG Gundam stuff) if it wasn't for seeing them as a kid before I knew anything about anime. They fill that precious spot in my tastes.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I just rewatched bebop last year and uh, yeah it's still that good.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm so torn between watching the dub or sub of the Ghost in the Shell movie. On the one hand the purists point out differences in the script between the two, and they at least seem somewhat important to the subtext of the film if you watch the sub. On the other hand I'm really attached to the dub actors from the TV series, and I'm one of those people who prefer something spoken in a language I can understand. Since I can read more out of a characters vocal performance and I'm not distracted by subtitles the entire time.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Bebop still has the best music of... any show, animated or otherwise. Also movies.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Champloo was better

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

EmmyOk posted:

Champloo was better

Champloo had a great soundtrack, yeah. Apples and oranges though. Bebop has a huge soundtrack in terms of tracks, and a lot of them are duds, but the good overwhelmingly exceed the bad. Also, Bebop has variety over Champloo’s one single genre of music.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They're both good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like all this would be more suited to the chat thread.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Would Midoriya like Bebop or Champloo more?

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like all this would be more suited to the chat thread.

I'll take my part of "this", the reviews and context, over there this weekend. Now that I have more time available.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't read the chat thread, but I am interested in this. If it got its own thread that would be super cool imo

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
I'm fairly new to anime, too, and am watching new season stuff alongside catch-ups of older series. I'd love a thread to discuss that kind of journey.

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018

superLINUS posted:

I'm fairly new to anime, too, and am watching new season stuff alongside catch-ups of older series. I'd love a thread to discuss that kind of journey.

Cool. I'll get on it. Probably today. Appreciate the interest.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

bogoodski posted:

Cool. I'll get on it. Probably today. Appreciate the interest.

You could call it My Anime Academia

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

PMush Perfect posted:

He wouldn't be able to commit and would talk, in depth, about the merits of each and their production.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Eela6 posted:

You could call it My* Anime Academia

*boku no

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My Boku No Little Anime Academia

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

PMush Perfect posted:

Turns out he's a huge Space Dandy fan.

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018

PMush Perfect posted:

My Boku No Little Anime Academia

If the state of the world today hadn't ground me down to a woeful base state of cynicism, I'd run with these thread titles. But given that I have zero clue what any of them mean, I just assume that they're embarrassing 😂

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

bogoodski posted:

If the state of the world today hadn't ground me down to a woeful base state of cynicism, I'd run with these thread titles. But given that I have zero clue what any of them mean, I just assume that they're embarrassing 😂
My Boku Neon Genesis Hero Cowboy Academia Ball Super: The Second Raid

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

PMush Perfect posted:

My Boku Neon Genesis Hero Cowboy Academia Ball Super: The Second Raid

My Boku Neon Genesis Hero Cowboy Academia Ball Super: The Second Raid 2.22: you can (not) rewatch

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 24, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Speaking of older anime, I'm a little more than halfway through watching Yu Yu Hakusho for the first time and it's good.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Speaking of older anime, I'm a little more than halfway through watching Yu Yu Hakusho for the first time and it's good.

YYH is top tier until the final arc and a bit before it

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kild posted:

YYH is top tier until the final arc and a bit before it

The second to last arc is the fallen spirit detective one, right? Cause that one is probably the bet arc in a pretty solid show. The last arc is unfortunately really boring.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

fool_of_sound posted:

The second to last arc is the fallen spirit detective one, right? Cause that one is probably the bet arc in a pretty solid show. The last arc is unfortunately really boring.

Yea that arcs good until Sensui and Yusuke fight

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018
The thread's coming. For tonight, I'll just say that they first four episodes of Cowboy Bebop, cool in their own right, didn't prepare me the awesomeness of Ballad of Fallen Angels.

Totally hooked.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Kild posted:

Yea that arcs good until Sensui and Yusuke fight

I'd say the first half of that is good too. Its really just the conclusion that fails the (excellent) build-up.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I recently introduced this show to my wife, who has never watched any Anime before, and she really enjoys it, so it has sparked an interest in anime in general. We binged through Shokugeki no Soma after we finished all the episodes of this anime and are currently in the middle of FMA: Brotherhood.

I'm mainly posting because upon his first appearance, she gave Tomura Shigaraki the nickname "Eczema" because he is always scratching himself, and I found that to be a funny name for a supervillain, so I can't stop calling him that anymore either.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ihatepants posted:

I recently introduced this show to my wife, who has never watched any Anime before, and she really enjoys it, so it has sparked an interest in anime in general. We binged through Shokugeki no Soma after we finished all the episodes of this anime and are currently in the middle of FMA: Brotherhood.

I'm mainly posting because upon his first appearance, she gave Tomura Shigaraki the nickname "Eczema" because he is always scratching himself, and I found that to be a funny name for a supervillain, so I can't stop calling him that anymore either.
I immediately dubbed one of the class 1-B students "Admin" the moment I saw his dumb skull face.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

bogoodski posted:

Hey folks,

I've never watched a second of anime. Nor had I ever thought to try to discover the source of its appeal.

That said, in another discussion, anime was mentioned in the context of a future where "technology saves us" and that seems a great diversion from the madness of our current reality. So, I figure I may give it a spin.

I solicited recommendations in that thread and was directed here (along with some suggestions, and a handy beginners' chart). I would love for more recommendations if any of you have suggestions of anime that you like to suggest to total noobs to the scene.

My real intent, if interested (or not; I'm gonna do it anyway!), is to provide some quick reviews as I watch. I figure it might be fun for some of you to hear the perspective of someone who has absolutely no significant preconceived bias as he approaches the genre. Maybe a different take on discussions and reviews you have all had no doubt countless times.

Thanks!

As someone who has really only liked 3 anime shows (early Pokémon as a kid, then Food Wars and My Hero Academia in the last couple of years) and is generally not very interested in anime in general, I would recommend watching My Hero Academia. It feel a touch more western, a bit like the 90s cartoons at times, but with the Japanese high-school theme as a twist, so I think it's actually easier to get into if you ever watched western cartoons like X-men or such. It's also well animated and mostly makes sense for what it is.

While people who have watched a lot more anime than me might think of it as good but not doing anything new or different, that should be a non-issue for anyone who, like you or me, doesn't have this other stuff to compare it with. All Might is also like a more comedic version of Captain America or Superman and the main character is a lot less annoying than the main character in some of the other anime shows that I tried but could not stick with.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fowl posted:

He wouldn't be able to commit and would talkmumble, in depth, about the merits of each and their production.

FTFY

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
This show is amazing and I don't agree with the ADRTW grousing about it being a 'normie' show. In a year less jam-packed with instant classics than 2017 I think it could have won AOTY easy.

I think it ended up being underrepresented in ADRTW's AOTY because

1. we tend to put an emphasis on shows that mean the most to us personally

2. ADRTW's audience is older, gayer, and leftier than most Western anime fans.

E.G, It was narrowly chased off my top 5 by Demi-Chan, which is a much more uneven show that means more to me on a personal level.

MHA also has probably the best overall character design of any anime I've ever seen. The mangaka has a talent.

TLDR: Show is great, I can't wait for season 3.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I feel that the votes were thrown off by the kind of people who like Eromanga Sensei

• Locked thread