Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

KasioDiscoRock posted:

My husband accidentally made a huge batch of cookies with steel cut oats instead of oatmeal because he didn’t know the difference. How can I salvage these cookies so I’m not chewing undercooked oats, or do I just have to live with it now that they’re done?

Toss em in a food processor and use em as a crumb base for a pie or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
https://lilluna.com/cafe-rio-shredded-chicken/

I made this shredded chicken recipe and it turned out really tasty. But I feel like it would have been even better if I had marinated the chicken overnight first, before adding it all to the crockpot.

So I'm going to do the shredded chicken in the crockpot again. I'm looking for a low-fat, low-carb chicken marinade.

Any suggestions?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Dennis McClaren posted:

https://lilluna.com/cafe-rio-shredded-chicken/

I made this shredded chicken recipe and it turned out really tasty. But I feel like it would have been even better if I had marinated the chicken overnight first, before adding it all to the crockpot.

So I'm going to do the shredded chicken in the crockpot again. I'm looking for a low-fat, low-carb chicken marinade.

Any suggestions?

Marinades don't do much, especially not when you're braising the meat. Look to punch up the braising liquid. Use chicken or veg stock instead of water, add a couple umami ingredients, toss an chopped up onion or tomato in, something like that.

Also, that's uhhh, an interesting recipe. Italian dressing, cumin, and ranch dressing powder? :stare:

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I have very very simple tastes. It's really just one of many weightlifting meals I have to eat throughout the day.

The biggest appeal to me was actually just being able to throw all those basic ingredients in that I already had around the house. It's no show-stopper, but it does taste good.

I totally forgot I could add stock, instead of the water I used. That's brilliant, and I'm sure will improve the texture of the chicken.
Never heard of Umami ingredients before, I'll have to look into those. Thanks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you're still using boneless, skinless chicken breasts. no combination of ingredients will unfuck that bad texture you get by cooking them so long they shred like that. swap in thigh meat.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

franco posted:

A day late for yer stew (hope it was good!), but for future homely, comfort dumpling action I love this which is pretty low effort and could easily be adapted for beef beef rather than mince/ground.

perfect timing tbh, I never got around to cooking it as I ended up gorging myself on hummus and sundried tomatoes, and then made a beef curry as it was quicker.

I've had capers sitting in a jar for 6 months, unopened. Have no idea what to do with them. I'm about to head to the shops cause I'm craving a smash burger, so is there some sort of caper relish I can make with them to put on the burger? IIRC, capers taste kinda like pickles, right? I've only ever had capers in tartar sauce, so I don't know if I'm associating the pickle taste with actual pickles, or if that's how capers taste.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The way I like shredded chicken is first you cook it long and slow, doesn't matter that much. Then you shred all the meat, season it, toss it, maybe add some fat too (melted butter, olive oil, whatever) and just mix everytihng up good, then put it on a big oven pan under the broiler in an oven until it's crispy golden looking.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 26, 2018

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Imo the best thing to do with capers is chicken piccata. It's also the only thing I cook with capers. I use them up very very slowly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Regular brain: Tuna fish with celery
Big brain: Tuna fish with relish
Galaxy brain: Tuna fish with capers and green olives

Qubee
May 31, 2013

legendof posted:

Imo the best thing to do with capers is chicken piccata. It's also the only thing I cook with capers. I use them up very very slowly.

chicken piccata looks amazing and holy poo poo it seems so simple. what's a good side to have with chicken piccata, I have a feeling mashed potatoes would go fantastic, what about some basmati rice? I'll use this recipe. once I open this jar of capers, do I store them in the fridge? how long will they keep?

what did mankind do to deserve smashburgers? they're so quick to make and taste delicious. I had mine with some seared onions, edam cheese, dill pickles (I'd forgotten how much I love pickles) and tomato ketchup. just a bit sad the burgers didn't have a great Maillard reaction, cause I've only got nonstick pans. I don't think I'll make a normal burger ever again, smashburgers are just as nice and much faster to make,.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Feb 26, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Quick dumb question, folks. I attempted herbed focaccia last night. First time doing bread of any kind out of a machine.
It rose nicely. (Doubled) then I put it on an oiled baking sheet and spread the herbed oil on top. Instructions
said to let it sit in the pan for about 30 min to
rise more. It did not. Here’s the M Night Shamalan twist I’m actually a ghost. Jk. The twist is i salted the top with Maldon flake salt crumbled, not knowing it inhibits yeast growth. It did not rise much. (Like, at all.)
I cooked it and it was delicious, and a little crusty (less cooking next time) and only like half an inch think, unlike the recipe pics. Still soft in the middle, just barely any middle.

I want to try again but cannot handle two defeats in two days... do you think sprinkling a generous bit of salt on top really killed the rise?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Feenix posted:

Quick dumb question, folks. I attempted herbed focaccia last night. First time doing bread of any kind out of a machine.
It rose nicely. (Doubled) then I put it on an oiled baking sheet and spread the herbed oil on top. Instructions
said to let it sit in the pan for about 30 min to
rise more. It did not. Here’s the M Night Shamalan twist I’m actually a ghost. Jk. The twist is i salted the top with Maldon flake salt crumbled, not knowing it inhibits yeast growth. It did not rise much. (Like, at all.)
I cooked it and it was delicious, and a little crusty (less cooking next time) and only like half an inch think, unlike the recipe pics. Still soft in the middle, just barely any middle.

I want to try again but cannot handle two defeats in two days... do you think sprinkling a generous bit of salt on top really killed the rise?

Nope, the salt sprinkled on top shouldn't have affected the second rise at all. The salt would only inhibit the yeast if it was mixed into the dough from the outset. My recommendation would be to make sure it's in a warm enough spot wherever you're leaving it to rise, and that your oven temperature is on-point. Get an oven thermometer. Lack of oven spring can usually be attributed to not being hot enough in there.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Midniter posted:

Nope, the salt sprinkled on top shouldn't have affected the second rise at all. The salt would only inhibit the yeast if it was mixed into the dough from the outset. My recommendation would be to make sure it's in a warm enough spot wherever you're leaving it to rise, and that your oven temperature is on-point. Get an oven thermometer. Lack of oven spring can usually be attributed to not being hot enough in there.

Thanks. I’ll try again. I mean, my kitchen was warm enough to have the big rise in the covered bowl.

Do you think it’s ok to Saran Wrap it in the pan for that 30 minute rise? I can try to get my kitchen warmer, too.

I’ll also check the oven but I cook a lot and it tends to be ok. So we’ll see... :)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If you're set on baking the same recipe, you can always toss a cup of hot water on a tray in the bottom of the oven to force a better oven spring. I've never done it with a focaccia before, but it should help.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

if the dough dried out int eh secondary it'll form a skin and inhibit rising so you will need to cover the secondary.
the yeast could have been out of food.
you could have underfermented the primary ferment (unlikely with 2x rise)
your dough temp could have dropped during the whole process.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

if the dough dried out int eh secondary it'll form a skin and inhibit rising so you will need to cover the secondary.
the yeast could have been out of food.
you could have underfermented the primary ferment (unlikely with 2x rise)
your dough temp could have dropped during the whole process.

The dough had oil over it on 2nd rise but all those other points might be valid. Thanks!!

[edit] Trying again. First rise is easily doubled. Gonna oil in the baking pan and then saran wrap for like 30 min. Hoping to see *some* rise. Also going to add a cup of warm water to the lowest rack of my oven, assuming... in like, a casserole dish or a couple ramekins or something, is sufficient?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 26, 2018

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Help I don't know poo poo about meat

I want to make beef bourgignon but beef isn't that popular where I am and I'm not sure I can find a good cut for it. Veal seems to be much more popular and I think I'm more likely to find a variety of cuts of it, but I don't know if substituting it is a good idea since it is different in ways that I really don't know about. I googled veal bourgignon and did not find much information suggesting that people do this

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Do not use veal.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

I want to make beef bourgignon but beef isn't that popular where I am and I'm not sure I can find a good cut for it. Veal seems to be much more popular and I think I'm more likely to find a variety of cuts of it, but I don't know if substituting it is a good idea since it is different in ways that I really don't know about. I googled veal bourgignon and did not find much information suggesting that people do this

Don't use veal... try horse, ostrich, venison, etc. Most types of red meat are a possible substitute.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok so I made a second batch of the focaccia, using the same recipe as a control to see if warmer kitchen, covering the quick "pan rise" and some warm water in the oven would help with overall softness, rise, etc...

I also cooked it for a few less minutes than yesterday.

It's better. It's a bit more risen. But it's not how I recall focaccia. The crust is very hard here. And while I do not dislike it at all, it is not what I am attempting to go for.

I recall Focaccia from North beach bakeries that you could probably bend a strip of it and almost make a circle before it broke.

Like this:

https://slice.seriouseats.com/images/20110622-1582226-Liguria-Top.JPG

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/07/16/21/1893465/7/920x920.jpg

Mine is thinner, but like, you can kind of rap your knuckles on the crust. Anyone know how to alter my technique to be softer? Or a different recipe?

For reference: my recipe, if anyone cares: https://www.inspiredtaste.net/19313/easy-focaccia-bread-recipe-with-herbs/

(and for what its worth, it looks softer and more what I was going for even in the recipe I am using...)

This is how mine turned out, btw... still pretty great for a bread-noob:

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 27, 2018

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I make Kenji's focaccia all the time and it's great https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/04/easy-roasted-garlic-focaccia-no-knead-bread-recipe.html

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Ok so I made a second batch of the focaccia, using the same recipe as a control to see if warmer kitchen, covering the quick "pan rise" and some warm water in the oven would help with overall softness, rise, etc...

I also cooked it for a few less minutes than yesterday.

It's better. It's a bit more risen. But it's not how I recall focaccia. The crust is very hard here. And while I do not dislike it at all, it is not what I am attempting to go for.

I recall Focaccia from North beach bakeries that you could probably bend a strip of it and almost make a circle before it broke.

Like this:

https://slice.seriouseats.com/images/20110622-1582226-Liguria-Top.JPG

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/07/16/21/1893465/7/920x920.jpg

Mine is thinner, but like, you can kind of rap your knuckles on the crust. Anyone know how to alter my technique to be softer? Or a different recipe?

For reference: my recipe, if anyone cares: https://www.inspiredtaste.net/19313/easy-focaccia-bread-recipe-with-herbs/

(and for what its worth, it looks softer and more what I was going for even in the recipe I am using...)

This is how mine turned out, btw... still pretty great for a bread-noob:

That looks underproofed to me. Are you letting it rise til it almost doubles or are you just timing your rises?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kofta kefta? I've seen all three spellings, is there a difference? But yeah this is the answer.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Paperhouse posted:

The reason that veal isn't good here is that it does not have a strong enough depth of flavor to stand up in a bourgignon. Ideally you want tougher cuts from older animals that will add a richness to the dish over the long cook. If I couldn't get good beef for this dish, my next go to would be mutton, which is better in this application anyway.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That looks underproofed to me. Are you letting it rise til it almost doubles or are you just timing your rises?

It goes into the bowl about the size of a softball, and about an hour later (I let it go longer today...) when I moved it to the baking sheet it was the size of a half a basketball. (Like if you cut it on the hemisphere...)

Maybe it could proof longer? But most places say double-in-size is sufficient.

I’ll check that Kenji recipe. :)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
My cookie icy tasted perfumy and soapy and I wondered what the hell I did wrong, then I tasted my powdered sugar and found it was the source, then I bought a new bag and it was fine. The weird one was off-brand and the fine one was on-brand. Is this a common thing?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
You got sold baby powder, mannnn!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

It goes into the bowl about the size of a softball, and about an hour later (I let it go longer today...) when I moved it to the baking sheet it was the size of a half a basketball. (Like if you cut it on the hemisphere...)

Maybe it could proof longer? But most places say double-in-size is sufficient.

I’ll check that Kenji recipe. :)

No, that sounds right for the first rise. What about the second rise after you shape it?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it looks fine to me tbh. Use bread flour or a bit more water if you want a more open crumb.

Your first "like this" pic looks like a lot more dough and the second has the large pockets due to large things mixed in.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Jeb! Repetition posted:

My cookie icy tasted perfumy and soapy and I wondered what the hell I did wrong, then I tasted my powdered sugar and found it was the source, then I bought a new bag and it was fine. The weird one was off-brand and the fine one was on-brand. Is this a common thing?
#1 culprit of soapy tastes ime is silicone utensils. Any chance you made the first icing batch with a silicone/rubber spatula and the second batch with something else?

Alternatively, was the open bag stored somewhere with anything perfumed or soapy? It can be kind of absorbent like baking soda.

I haven't had any issues with store-brand powdered sugar fwiw.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

#1 culprit of soapy tastes to me is silicone utensils.

Wait what

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't know any of the science and I haven't done double-blind testing, but especially if you put silicone utensils through a dishwasher, it seems to not get all the residue off. It doesn't always bug other people (MY MOM) but it's very obvious to me. Go lick your soft silicone spatulas, turners, etc. -- if you're happy with that, you're fine. If you realize it tastes soapy, the food made with it will be, too.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

No, that sounds right for the first rise. What about the second rise after you shape it?

The first attempt did nothing.
The second attempt it rose from thin to touching the saran wrap, but following some instructions I read, I spread it out further and let it sit more. It didn't rise much again. Maybe that's what made it thin and I should have just stuck with a not-so-big (like, coverage area-wise) Focaccia.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Anne Whateley posted:

#1 culprit of soapy tastes ime is silicone utensils. Any chance you made the first icing batch with a silicone/rubber spatula and the second batch with something else?

Alternatively, was the open bag stored somewhere with anything perfumed or soapy? It can be kind of absorbent like baking soda.

I haven't had any issues with store-brand powdered sugar fwiw.

No, I washed my hand, poured it directly out of the bag into my hand, and licked it off and it had the same taste so strong that I didn't want to swallow it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Deep-fried some pork a little while back and now I have all of this leftover oil that I need to dispose of. Pouring it down the sink seems like a bad idea, and I've used this oil for a few rounds of frying already so I'm not interested in "reclaiming it" or storing it for continued use. What should I do in order to properly get rid of this stuff?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The best thing is if you're in a city that recycles oil or at least has a facility that takes in household chemicals and motor oil. Otherwise, seal in a sturdy container and toss it in the garbage. Pouring it down the pipes is the dumbest thing you could do.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Casu Marzu posted:

The best thing is if you're in a city that recycles oil or at least has a facility that takes in household chemicals and motor oil. Otherwise, seal in a sturdy container and toss it in the garbage. Pouring it down the pipes is the dumbest thing you could do.

For instance, O'Reilly Auto Parts will let you dump old oil.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Try your best to take it to a recycling centre. Pouring it into a plastic container and binning it makes me sad.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I just throw all my batteries into the fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Get a few coffee filters and an old Mercedes diesel from the 80's and enjoy your free fuel.