Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Arglebargle III posted:

Pentaborane has the coveted 444.

Nohio.

Speaking of which, you can buy your own bigass 4-4-4-OX warning sign and put it on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm gonna start a petition to rename a part of the moon to New Ohio. Or Neohio.
Ohio is just New Connecticut.

M_Gargantua posted:

Feels worth it to quote nearly the whole thing:
Feynman is a great storyteller and his books are worth reading. Just brace yourself for the rampant '50s misogyny.
Oh, that's going in the OP for sure.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

damnit, edit/quote

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

M_Gargantua posted:

Feels worth it to quote nearly the whole thing:

:nfpa:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question on a friend's behalf: if you put one of these on your car, and you're not actually hauling something like that, could you get in trouble?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

iospace posted:

Question on a friend's behalf: if you put one of these on your car, and you're not actually hauling something like that, could you get in trouble?

maybe you should put it on your posting instead :owned:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

maybe you should put it on your posting instead :owned:

I could request it as a custom mod star. Would that work?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

iospace posted:

I'm no lawyer, but I could imagine it being construed as interfering with emergency services if you wound up in a situation where first responders might take it seriously.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

iospace posted:

Honestly and ironically do it

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

iospace posted:

hell yeah do it

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

iospace posted:

It's for static stuff being responded by firefighters to as opposed to DOT placards handling actual hazcom so I don't think you would be cited for improper DOT hazcom.

Where you would run into trouble is if you ever need a first response to your car and the ambulance shows up and the barely educated tech freaks out and requests the fire departments paramedic instead. I think that runs a little pricier and obviously has implications on response time in case you've like had a heart attack on the road.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Oh my... Personally, I think I'll go for the somewhat more modest, but still :magical: 404-RW!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Whats a good example of what that sign would be posted for? And what would it actually do to you

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

M_Gargantua posted:

Whats a good example of what that sign would be posted for? And what would it actually do to you

Nazifacemelt.gif

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

that ivy guy posted:

Oh my... Personally, I think I'll go for the somewhat more modest, but still :magical: 404-RW!

Why not go for 4-0-4 W OX

(or our good ol friend ClF3)

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

A combination of combustion, toxicity and explosivity. You could be lit on fire, exposed to something that would like to react with the delicate mechanisims that operate your biology, and finally exposed to a rapidly expanding gas cloud and anything it picked up between you and the source of the explosion.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

M_Gargantua posted:

tert-butyllithium and pentaborane are the only two compounds that I can find that fit 4-4-4, but even then they aren't oxidizers.

Both of those are acutely poisonous compounds that burst into flames when exposed to a wide variety of different substances, such as water or air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9VNaUY-ri4

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Oh I meant 4-0-4-W

But all of those also sound fun!

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

illectro posted:

I had an idea to make a video about the craziest stuff ever investigated as rocket fuels and I figure the regular posters here might have a few suggestions I’ve missed - my shortlist so far:

Chlorine trifluoride oxidizer
Hydrazine
Fuming nitric acid
Liquid Ozone
Lithium-fluorine-Hydrogen
‘Devils venom’ (nitric acid/hydrazine)
Dimethylmercury
Nitroglycerine

Obviously ‘Ignition’ has many great stories, but it’s 40 years old and who knows what innovation in insanity have transpired in intervening decades.

Tonka fuel.

I'll just leave this wikipedia quote here:

quote:

The use of Tonka by amateurs is not advised,[citation needed] 

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Storage containers must combine NFPA ratings of all the materials inside. You can totally mix and match your death tanks.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The Claptain posted:

I'll just leave this wikipedia quote here:

You should also have quoted *why* it isn"'t advised:

quote:

as the exact proportions of ingredients necessary for the mixture to work as desired, rather than fail catastrophically, is a function both of the ingredients' purity, and of their temperature during use.

Yes, I too want to worry about the precise temperature of my rocket components during liftoff and whether my chinese supplier is off by a few % in their label.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

iospace posted:

That's exactly what I had in mind, and I just now on second inspection noticed that that is an option (but isn't described as NFPA-approved, strangely enough), so thanks!

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

iospace posted:

Is ClF3 a 0 on the toxicity scale because ClF3 is actually not significantly toxic or because it will oxidize into substances so quickly you don't need to worry about its toxicity?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Maxwells Demon posted:

Is ClF3 a 0 on the toxicity scale because ClF3 is actually not significantly toxic or because it will oxidize into substances so quickly you don't need to worry about its toxicity?
That particular 0 refers instead to flammability. ClF3 is a ludicrous compound that will react with a lot of stuff, but it does so as an oxidizer and thus won't innately burn upon contact with heat. In that respect it's like O2 gas but far less easy to control.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Maxwells Demon posted:

How would you test the toxicity?

Experiment 1: Added ClF3 to mouse food. Result: Food caught fire.
Experiment 2 Added ClF3 to mouse's water. Result: Water caught fire.
Experiment 3: Administered ClF3 to mouse intravenously. Result: Mouse caught fire.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Lone Badger posted:

How would you test the toxicity?

Experiment 1: Added ClF3 to mouse food. Result: Food caught fire.
Experiment 2 Added ClF3 to mouse's water. Result: Water caught fire.
Experiment 3: Administered ClF3 to mouse intravenously. Result: Mouse caught fire.

It's a gas so it'd be "make mouse huff it.' Use a chamber made of a metal that readily forms a passive layer.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

It's a gas so it'd be "make mouse huff it.' Use a chamber made of a metal that readily forms a passive layer.

Result: mouse caught on fire.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Well now I want a 4-4-4-OX coffee mug.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Nazifacemelt.gif

NFPA 6-6-6

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Well now I want a 4-4-4-OX coffee mug.

not quite but close

Ornamental Dingbat has a new favorite as of 05:19 on Feb 26, 2018

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hail Satan!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Nazi's Find Precious Ark?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Despair posted:

If people are into this sorta thing I gotta recommend this book too: https://www.amazon.com/Atomic-Accidents-Meltdowns-Disasters-Mountains/dp/1605986801/

It's all about nuclear disasters in sorta the same way that Command and Control is about nuclear weapons and the way things go wrong, or how Ignition! talks about all the ways things could go wrong.

huh, turns out I bought this book like a year ago, wonder where it is.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Munin posted:

Yes, I too want to worry about the precise temperature of my rocket components during liftoff and whether my chinese supplier is off by a few % in their label.

I should have, but i was phone posting and I wanted to edit the post when i got back home, but then I immediately fell asleep.

I should have also mentioned, it was used in auxilliary rocket booster on Mirage IIIc, before being replaced by kerosene, except Kerosene is not hypergolic with nitric acid, so small amounts were still used as a starter.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Mustached Demon posted:

surely the solution is to feed it to a mouse made of a metal that readily forms a passive layer.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Munin posted:

How does a hypergol 'fail catastrophically'? Does it not explode?

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

The Lone Badger posted:

How does a hypergol 'fail catastrophically'? Does it not explode?

reverse thrust

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

It explodes at an improper rate and/or at an improper place.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Always use premium hypergolic fuel to prevent premature detonation.

The problem of premature detonation is particularly severe at low altitude.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

There's also a caffeine one, but it's just a 1-0-0-_.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

surely the solution is to feed it to a mouse made of a metal that readily forms a passive layer.

A stainless steel rat?