Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Are there any mods for adding in diseases, pests, weeds, etc... for farming? I want to lose a fort to boll weevils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I want to lose one to boll weevil men.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
Let me tell you 'bout boll weevil, that bug is just too scary.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Farms need to be abstracted into workshop-type things so each individual tile isn't a plant. That way you could require huge fields that require a lot of work, but your dwarves would actually be able to finish planting the whole thing before half of it was ready for harvest.

Alternatively I guess you could just make it so that each seed only yields 1 plant and each plant only yields 1 or 2 seeds, and just require that your society (realistically) be mostly made up of farmers.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Building your fort entrance in the center of a volcano leads to all sorts of fun like my entire crossbow militia squad scaling their fortifications and swan diving into the lava in an attempt to kill 3 goblins or the time one farmer jumped a tile straight up in fright after getting attacked by a magma crab and latched onto one of the sidewalls. Rather then simply dropping down he decided to climb up 6-7 Z levels until he reached the top.

Also there is like the 30+ missing dwarves who disappeared into the lava depths through various reasons.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Farms should be 1 tile 1 plant but the plants shouldnt yield ridiculously unrealistic amounts of food. Seed planting should be quick and possibly automated, maybe have ploughs and stuff that work the way wheelbarrows do.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

mana should fall from the sky.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I just want Nile-style farming and seasonal flooding back... :(

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Alehkhs posted:

I just want Nile-style farming and seasonal flooding back... :(

Same. :( Getting your farms set up before the summer flood so you wouldn't starve come winter was exciting.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Telsa Cola posted:

Building your fort entrance in the center of a volcano leads to all sorts of fun like my entire crossbow militia squad scaling their fortifications and swan diving into the lava in an attempt to kill 3 goblins or the time one farmer jumped a tile straight up in fright after getting attacked by a magma crab and latched onto one of the sidewalls. Rather then simply dropping down he decided to climb up 6-7 Z levels until he reached the top.

Also there is like the 30+ missing dwarves who disappeared into the lava depths through various reasons.

They loooooooooove to trip and fall into the lava I don't know what it is. I've also seen a wagon drive straight into some lava. If anything falls in the 'lava mist' can be bad, too.

I like volcano entrances but yeah you gotta be careful about roofing off certain bits and whatnot.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Lpzie posted:

mana should fall from the sky.

The magic system is coming soon.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

The magic system is coming soon.

Will that be 2025 or 2031 :haw:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Moridin920 posted:

They loooooooooove to trip and fall into the lava I don't know what it is. I've also seen a wagon drive straight into some lava. If anything falls in the 'lava mist' can be bad, too.

I like volcano entrances but yeah you gotta be careful about roofing off certain bits and whatnot.

I somehow lost my legendary military leader with an addy sword and my legendary mace man and I can only assume they sparred out the barracks, down the hallway and then one of them charged the other into the lava.

My other area of death is the underground sea in the third cavern that 9+ people got sucked down into through various water and collapse mishaps.

Im okay with that though, my fortresses basically never lose anyone so its refreshing to have things to keep population in check.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 27, 2018

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Current new fort has a lava pool in the first cavern level and we've already had crundles get chucked into it when they harass the weavers

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I still have no idea what the hell a crundle is.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I still have no idea what the hell a crundle is.

Crundles are to kobolds what monkeys are to humans.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Leal posted:

Will that be 2025 or 2031 :haw:

Thursday.

Anyone remember when minecarts were introduced?

"Yeah, I spent the past 6 months trying to fix this weird bug that made fish grow fingernails. Oh, and last weekend I introduced minecarts to fortress mode. Here's a lot of cool things you can do with them. It comes out tomorrow."

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

After ganking enough books from the local necro tower I now have people in my fort becoming necromancers so we'll see how that goes!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nothing is going to go wrong for sure

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tars Tarkas posted:

After ganking enough books from the local necro tower I now have people in my fort becoming necromancers so we'll see how that goes!

If I remember correctly, there's no fortress allegiance for undead, so as soon as they start raising stuff the undead will either murder all the non-necromancers in your fortress, or everyone in your fortress, I forget which. I'm also not sure whether necromancers know to be afraid of undead or not (although whether this is an additional bug or perfectly sensible depends on the previous thing, naturally. :v: )

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If I remember correctly, there's no fortress allegiance for undead, so as soon as they start raising stuff the undead will either murder all the non-necromancers in your fortress, or everyone in your fortress, I forget which. I'm also not sure whether necromancers know to be afraid of undead or not (although whether this is an additional bug or perfectly sensible depends on the previous thing, naturally. :v: )

Pretty sure it all works in the worst possible ways mechanically (fort necromancers only raise undead to combat threats, those undead have no allegiances save to undeath itself, fort necromancers recognize this threat and will erroneously raise undead to combat the undead except they don't fight each other), which makes it the best possible implementation for Fun.

Supposedly necromantic undead DO ignore vampires, but I can't recall from the previous conversation about it whether anyone's confirmed whether that works for a Necrodwarf fort or if it becomes some weird edge case on hostilities. There is an order of operations on doing Necromancer Vampires, I think it's that the unlife conferred by Necromancy prevents you from becoming a vampire, but not the other way around? Something like that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think undead will ignore vampires and necromancers? Even though on the fortress map necrodwarves will flee from undead.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

So far 8/145 dwarfs are necromancers and we've had one incident where a necromancer raised a dead body (that belonged to another invadering necromancer we captured lol) and a troll head when I was killing prisoners to clear some cages. But those were quickly also killed and it is possible they stumbled across the slaughter and thought they needed to raise those bodies to help kill the other things I was killing. The necrotower is mad I took their books so I'm just going to take all of their books. The new update on cleansing sites will work great on necrotowers as they all have like 10 people or so.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

I think undead will ignore vampires and necromancers? Even though on the fortress map necrodwarves will flee from undead.

If the wiki article was accurate, undead ignore vampires entirely, but weird allegiance issues pop up when it comes to necromancers because necromantic undead from cross-aligned necromancers will fight each other. It's possible they still ignore the necromancers THEMSELVES, but I don't know. FPS issues have kind of prevented me from doing much dwarven science for a while now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tars Tarkas posted:

The new update on cleansing sites will work great on necrotowers as they all have like 10 people or so.
As I recall when you go to a necro tower in adventure mode there's generally a small number of people, but a ton of zombies. And one of the recent update noes was about non-historical figures like, say, unnamed zombies being able to help defend the site.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This all sounds like an elaborate way to test for vampires.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
A REALLY interesting scientific experiment would be trying to discern if vampirism or necromancy are taken into account for the purposes of raiding strength with the non-historical figures (ie animals and zombies). I sort of doubt it, but DF is a magical black box under the hood, so who knows, it will probably lead to raids coming back with zombie tame unicorn citizens or something.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

So at about 30 necromancers finally someone flipped out in the refuse floor and reanimated some corpses there, which immediately attacked the necromancer, who then animated more corpses. Needless to say, the chain reaction resulted in several deaths and my fps dropping to 0.

Also the Necro tower was part of some human government we were at peace with but they quickly went to war to defend their necro brethren and sent some very tiny invasions.

Zereth posted:

As I recall when you go to a necro tower in adventure mode there's generally a small number of people, but a ton of zombies. And one of the recent update noes was about non-historical figures like, say, unnamed zombies being able to help defend the site.

I wonder if the corpses factor into raids at all. There were never corpses on the raid reports but the necromancers show up occasionally either having spotted the group leaving or occasionally fighting someone in the raid group.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tars Tarkas posted:

I wonder if the corpses factor into raids at all. There were never corpses on the raid reports but the necromancers show up occasionally either having spotted the group leaving or occasionally fighting someone in the raid group.

I believe the answer is "no, but they will next version".

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I had a weird situation that can best be described as a loyalty cascade?

I had a dwarf kill a couple of people. I actually saw him and he rampaged around chasing dwarves and there was blood everywhere.

The other dwarves killed him and then two more dwarves immediately started rampaging on the other side of the fort.

After that calmed down, a few months later Goblins attacked. I activated my squads and got them to form up. All the sudden they started fighting each other. About 40 dwarves died between the infighting and the goblins.

I have no idea why though. The first rampaging dwarf revealed nothing in his thoughts. He wasn't depressed. He wasn't throwing a tantrum. I couldn't figure out what triggered it.

I did start a war with a couple of elf nations and a couple of dwarves got capture in a raid. Could that have caused it? After the goblin siege no dwarf has attacked another dwarf over the past two years.

Really interesting scenario, but baffling at the same time.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did a new LP ever get off the ground?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Don't think there's been a new community fort. It looks like the most obnoxious bugs have been squashed, so I'm going to start genning some worlds. If nobody objects in the next few hours I think I'll get started with one.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gnoman posted:

Don't think there's been a new community fort. It looks like the most obnoxious bugs have been squashed, so I'm going to start genning some worlds. If nobody objects in the next few hours I think I'll get started with one.

Sign me up as a dwarf or an overseer! I've got time for the next few months. :)

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

All right, I think I have a nice site located, but I want to get opinions before starting the thread.

The other biome in the embark area is "Little soil, deep metal, aquifer". Dealing with the aquifer won't be too difficult, since we'll have a volcano, and this was the only volcano in the world that had access to goblins. If this site isn't acceptable, I'll have to gen another world.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gnoman posted:

All right, I think I have a nice site located, but I want to get opinions before starting the thread.

The other biome in the embark area is "Little soil, deep metal, aquifer". Dealing with the aquifer won't be too difficult, since we'll have a volcano, and this was the only volcano in the world that had access to goblins. If this site isn't acceptable, I'll have to gen another world.

I think most players really dislike aquifers, and since it'll be a succession fort that probably makes this site a no-go. Plus it would not be fun at all to have like the fifth overseer be a complete newbie who accidentally drowns the entire fortress. Is there some way to turn off aquifers post-worldgen using DFhack? If so then that could make the site acceptable; otherwise, I'd vote we try again.

I think it'd also be neat to have a sense of the Legends for the world before we embark. It'd be cool to start play early enough to have megabeasts and before goblins have overrun all the other races.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Yeah, aquifers are a pain. The volcano kind of mitigates the hassle due to easy magma access and a near-guarantee of good stone to dig past it, but they are a pain. I'll gen a new one, because this world was kind of bland even if I wasn't set on a volcano. I'll certainly go over legends, and I'm going to cut the worldgen from 500 years to 250 in the next world.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eagerly awaiting your exploits!

Is this going to be a standard succession fort? Are you going to be around to run the order of succession and update the OP?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Addamere posted:

Did a new LP ever get off the ground?

I had done a lot of the prep work right around christmas but Toady's posts were indicating more bug fixes (like the raid issues) were close in the pipeline. So I was holding off until some of the bugs that break the new game features were fixed. I could start it next friday if you guys wanted.

I had negotiated down to two possible sites that were neighbors with a tower and goblins and had iron and flux, as well as a corner of terrifying biome.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Addamere posted:

Eagerly awaiting your exploits!

Is this going to be a standard succession fort? Are you going to be around to run the order of succession and update the OP?

That's the plan. I've had a few completely bland worlds come up, still genning. Unless, of course, we'd prefer to have M_Gargantua start it instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Oh and the other thing I was planning was to Hex Edit in a more abnormal starting expedition. Dwarves with master mathematician and writing, one smith worth a drat and a soldier who's good enough to train recruits in a sub decade span. Starting with some random abnormal goods to get some initial stuff of the ground faster and all.

Mostly I was just interested in the idea of a fort founded by a cadre of scholars in over their depth (and gameplay wise filling out the skills like building design that take forever to train up). It was to be a doctor, a smith, a warrior, a clothier, a chef, a scholar, and a musician. Practical skills like carpentry? Nah, but master optics engineer!