Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

It's real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
My hot take after listening: album of the year? Hard to say since I won't be listening to it for another eight months at the minimum.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I'm sick of people declaring album of the year just anytime they hear something cool

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Why?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

I'm sick of people declaring album of the year just anytime they hear something cool

You should see the rap thread

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

You should see the rap thread

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Everyone should see the rap thread for research purposes

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

OpaqueEcho posted:

Stolen from the metal thread:

Jesus Murphy, that's a hell of a line up.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

you've heard the drat thing once and you already want to put it on like a big list, its perverse

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

you've heard the drat thing once and you already want to put it on like a big list, its perverse

I put everything I listen to on big lists and adjust them on future listens. Some of us just like lists.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Gamify everything

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i know it's the first album i've liked this year but i feel comfortable to say that it's also the best so far

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Dyna Soar posted:

i know it's the first album i've liked this year but i feel comfortable to say that it's also the best so far

But that's you assuming it's the first album they've liked this year?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

nerve posted:

But that's you assuming it's the first album they've liked this year?

we're barely two months in

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Somehow I missed this

quote:

Sad news for some, but totally necessary. Truckfighters is on a long, long hiatus. Might come back stronger than ever (that's the only way) or not at all! We've been releasing many albums that we're very proud of and the key is that we've always played because of the pure fun out of it. That's the only thing that counts and in the end made us do what we did so good for so many years... We're not that kind of band continuing doing something just because we make money out of it ;)

A big THANK YOU to all the amazing fans and people we've meet over the years, some more amazing that others but you all deserve a big hug.

Fuzz n' out!

welp :rip:

glad I at least saw them in San Antonio a few years back

always a good excuse to post Manhattan Project though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SELHPx-ZvOc

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

They were just being hyperbolic in their excitement ndb. :shrug:

That Sumac+Keiji Haino is good (finally listened to all of it).

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Good soup! posted:

Somehow I missed this

welp :rip:

glad I at least saw them in San Antonio a few years back

always a good excuse to post Manhattan Project though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SELHPx-ZvOc

Was just about to post this. I'm sad to hear about the hiatus, but it's not surprising considering how hard those dudes work. I wonder if they'll do a different band, or concentrate more on their label.

"Manhattan Project" is so great. That tune was my introduction to Truckfighters on the old Stonerrock.com Jukebox.

I've been digging Mania a lot recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XCxTyMKz30

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

A human heart posted:

Well my remark was more a statement on the work's abrasive nature rather than its quality. But you seen to take offense to enthusiasm, feigned or otherwise so I'm a little bemused.

Shame about Truckfighters. I feel cursed. They're one of those workman like bands that never wowed me on initial listens, but I absolutely dig what they're after. So go figure I do a deep dive on V and this happens. Bummer.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 26, 2018

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
So... every online version of the lyrics to "Claude" by the Melvins doesn't have "hey Claude" in them despite that obviously being the main hook for the song. Whats up with that?

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Are you mishearing "and claw" as "hey claude"? Because they don't say hey claude in the song.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Anyone going to the Big Business show tonight in Ybor? If so and you see some bald idiot in a Cream Abdul Babar shirt with Neil Diamond on it then congratulations, you found me.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
corrupted has a new 12'' out:

http://coldspring.co.uk/2018/01/corrupted-felicific-algorithim/

This record isn’t your standard doom fare. The title-less tracks are to be played at either standard vinyl speed. Therefore (and at the band’s request), no samples or download code.

lol, i'm naturally buying it but it could be poo poo.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

Was just about to post this. I'm sad to hear about the hiatus, but it's not surprising considering how hard those dudes work. I wonder if they'll do a different band, or concentrate more on their label.

"Manhattan Project" is so great. That tune was my introduction to Truckfighters on the old Stonerrock.com Jukebox.

I've been digging Mania a lot recently:

That's a good choice because Mania is drat good, but I was a bit disappointed by Universe and how light it was on tracks but Mastodont, god drat, :eyepop:

V was decent but I guess I accepted we weren't going to get quite like Gravity X again

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Shakenbaker posted:

Anyone going to the Big Business show tonight in Ybor? If so and you see some bald idiot in a Cream Abdul Babar shirt with Neil Diamond on it then congratulations, you found me.

saw the show in Miami last night and it was great. I was adamant to go (Monday and all that) but it was worth the time.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

corrupted has a new 12'' out:

http://coldspring.co.uk/2018/01/corrupted-felicific-algorithim/

This record isn’t your standard doom fare. The title-less tracks are to be played at either standard vinyl speed. Therefore (and at the band’s request), no samples or download code.

lol, i'm naturally buying it but it could be poo poo.

I thought it was supposed to be ambient with no doom at all

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Weaponized Cum posted:

saw the show in Miami last night and it was great. I was adamant to go (Monday and all that) but it was worth the time.

You guys had Holly Hunt as an opener, yeah? Kinda jealous about that line up, not going to lie.

I hear you on Monday shows :corsair: I'm on a death march this week though. Going to try and make it to Orlando for 1000 Mods and Telekenetic Yeti tomorrow if nothing goes awry, and on Friday is Cave of Swimmers and Yogurt Smoothness.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

A human heart posted:

I thought it was supposed to be ambient with no doom at all

sure, maybe? no samples so hard to say, but i guess the line between doom and ambient is really thin with bands like corrupted or sunn o))). maybe it's just one slow rear end riff that takes 20 minutes to play through? heh

speaking of, have you heard the guilty connector / chew of corrupted collab project begottened? it's, well, noise or dark ambient with chu drumming. really good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8dqXyAjZvs

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 28, 2018

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Shakenbaker posted:

You guys had Holly Hunt as an opener, yeah? Kinda jealous about that line up, not going to lie.

I hear you on Monday shows :corsair: I'm on a death march this week though. Going to try and make it to Orlando for 1000 Mods and Telekenetic Yeti tomorrow if nothing goes awry, and on Friday is Cave of Swimmers and Yogurt Smoothness.

Yeah, and Other Body (whom are really cool if u like later KEN Mode and similar). Holly Hunt are great. I liked Buildings on record but they were lacking something live.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Other Body are pretty cool, I think last time I caught them was with Junior Bruce and Holly Hunt back in December? Yeeaah, it was the day before Florida is Loud because my flu woke back up after all the phlegm in my lungs being stirred up by Gavin's amps. Good times.

Our locals were Horsewhip and Meatwound who are both very Florida sludge to me. I thought Buildings were pretty solid but Big Business are next level good. Watching Coady go at his kit was just good poo poo.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Shakenbaker posted:

1000 mods was rad, I was local support for them last night. I missed most of Telekenitc Yeti, but I'm playing Firebreather fest with them in Indy, so I'm not too upset. What I heard was rad, the sound guy had them blasting.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I knew it was in the works but, this is the best news I've heard in months...

Meanwhile, I've been a little late to the game hearing the new R.I.P. album, Street Reaper. It's just filthy and fun sabbath worship but, I didn't expect it to be such a leap from the previous album. The entire album is solid! Certainly one of the biggest overlooked albums of 2017 for me.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
What are some good funeral doom bands for when I want to sit in a dark room and act depressed and brood?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

flirty dental hygienist posted:

What are some good funeral doom bands for when I want to sit in a dark room and act depressed and brood?

Esoteric, Ahab, and Nortt (if you like your funeral doom blackened) are some good places to start.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

flirty dental hygienist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwoOAK3GKOg

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
scepticism, thergothton, asunder, corrupted

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

thergothton,

Seconding Thergothon, those dudes are incredible.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Seconding Esoteric and Thergothon.

Bell Witch.

Wormphlegm if you prefer brooding like an evil wizard to brooding like a sad sack.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
not funeral but warning could fit that mood real well

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Thanks! Esoteric, Thergothon, Worship, Wormphlegm are perfect. I'm gonna check out the others later.

I already knew Bell Witch, that's why I was asking. I wanted more bands similar to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Esoteric is very good, maybe Evoken in a somewhat similar vein. Pantheist if you don't mind your funeral more gothic.