Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It is truly amazing that the response to a school shooting has become 'MORE GUNS IN SCHOOL!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
i was thinking of the piss tape this morning and realized that the hard push to arm teachers over the past week is actually much worse. one is a gross personal sexual fetish and the other is directly telling every parent in america: "i actually want more guns in schools, right there in your kid's classroom."

edit: to clarify - i believe in piss tape and i want piss tape. but after the school shooting it feels trite and i'm not sure how much it will ultimately matter, unless we get an mp4 loaded directly onto youtube and can see the president's micropenis or something

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

TMMadman posted:

It is truly amazing that the response to a school shooting has become 'MORE GUNS IN SCHOOL!'

:matters:

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
The zero-sum narrative about funding programs is bullshit, but also we could fund MFA for less than 80% of what individuals already pay for private insurance, to corporations with almost no obligation to cover healthcare.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Polo-Rican posted:

i was thinking of the piss tape this morning and realized that the hard push to arm teachers over the past week is actually much worse. one is a gross personal sexual fetish and the other is directly telling every parent in america: "i actually want more guns in schools, right there in your kid's classroom."

We are a sinful nation op

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I thought CHUDs hated teachers why do they want to arm Mrs. Liberal Brainwasher?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

OrangéJéllo posted:

this comes up like once a year and this short story is always recommended
https://eyeofmidas.com/scifi/Turtledove_RoadNotTaken.pdf

I'm gonna read that thanks for the linko!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

I thought CHUDs hated teachers why do they want to arm Mrs. Liberal Brainwasher?

they know it won't be her hat gets the gun

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Squizzle posted:

i get the temptation to try to win but ffs we need to not lose first

okay but you're playing the prisoners dilemma with someone who's repeatedly defected for like 8 decades

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/liluzitard/status/967074015150997505

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Elephanthead posted:

they have a very high chance of accidentally shooting themselves

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Elephanthead posted:

Only card carrying Republicans will be allowed to carry guns in school.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

edit: to clarify - i believe in piss tape and i want piss tape. but after the school shooting it feels trite and i'm not sure how much it will ultimately matter, unless we get an mp4 loaded directly onto youtube and can see the president's micropenis or something

Honestly, it's probably giving them too much credit, but the school shooting and the reaction to it are two of the best arguments I've heard for online/home schooling.

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

lmao

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Squizzle posted:

think tanks think the genie isnt already unbottled

ok heres the thing: having a decorous society that respects reasonable differing political opinion, favors justice, and prefers consistency, precedent, and incremental change to swings in all directions depending whos in power?? thats a victory. thats, like, congrats, youve won as a society for now. enjoy it, care for it

idk if pandemic the board game is super popular but its a lot of fun and one of the great bits is that its collaborative and there are a million ways to lose together, but only one win state. and sometimes you can be tempted to go for a cure or eradicate a disease a round or two more quickly, by ignoring things that are likely enough to go wrong and lose the game if not addressed. your tempted to win faster but by not putting in the work, you get all hosed up. eventually you learn that before your able to win you have to not lose—you cant rush to victory w/o shoring up everything thats gonna end poo poo first

trying to return to :decorum: and acting like theres a reasonably centrist aisle to reach across and working to improve things incrementally from a livable baseline—thats game winning poo poo, and a lot of folks are acting like we can get back to filling in our victory conditions w/o addressing the disease cubes piling up all over our social/political/legal game board

i get the temptation to try to win but ffs we need to not lose first

the problem with this is that in board games or other analogies it assumes people who are pretty aware of the rules of the game, understand the scope of their power, who are motivated, and who are just kind of torn between helping their generation or alter generations. but none of those are true

its not a matter of minor attitude adjustment whereby there are gains to be had or gains to be lost or temporary struggles to power through, its a matter of the fundamental social contract being poo poo. and the nature of that contract is mimetic - it isn't voided until billy bob yokel who doesn't know what state he lives in agrees that the contract is hosed and is open to tearing it down and starting anew

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

TMMadman posted:

Only card carrying Republicans will be allowed to carry guns in school.

What about I, a liberal?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/NYMag/status/968110966629130240

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmfao

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

a.lo posted:

What about I, a liberal?

Gas chamber

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

yeah i think im probably finding a new place to live if the only response to this whole thing ends up being a bunch of teachers having guns lol

i mean i was already leaning that way before but every day america runs headlong into some new spin-off hellworld and honestly this place and most of the people in it are such unrepentant garbage that it's hard to muster up the will to stick it out and try to fight for anything to get better

just a little doomsaying to start off the morning right

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

You might say they're uniquely koala-fied.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Why kill drug dealers when u can own them as slaves?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
https://twitter.com/nycplasticsurg/status/964682516346138624

This is lol but once goons start going for this look is when I'll really be impressed

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

no laws have passed re arming teachers

it seems to just be a distraction / scapegoat atm

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm looking at a BBC article on the Leicester explosion and the photos of the blast site are amazing. The blast blew straight up, but not out apparently. The walls of the buildings next-door are still secure and everything in between those other buildings is just gone.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

a.lo posted:

What about I, a liberal?

You'll get pistol whipped and told to get back to work.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

2DCAT posted:

This is lol but once goons start going for this look is when I'll really be impressed

dont doxx me

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

president ratfucked rot brain

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

one of he nazis in the office saw. lack panther and loved it so idk

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

no laws have passed re arming teachers

it seems to just be a distraction / scapegoat atm

Bills are being introduced to state legislatures already tho.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

yeah i think im probably finding a new place to live if the only response to this whole thing ends up being a bunch of teachers having guns lol

i mean i was already leaning that way before but every day america runs headlong into some new spin-off hellworld and honestly this place and most of the people in it are such unrepentant garbage that it's hard to muster up the will to stick it out and try to fight for anything to get better

just a little doomsaying to start off the morning right

If I weren't crippled by debt and had a more desirable skill than computer janitor, I'd have moved to Canada by now.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

2DCAT posted:

vision was a mistake

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/status/968128540339089408

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.
So how long after we arm teachers is gun taken away and teacher shot? I say 2 weeks.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I havent seen black panther yet i want to go with my black girlfriend

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

93% approval at cpac lmao

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

radical meme posted:

I'm looking at a BBC article on the Leicester explosion and the photos of the blast site are amazing. The blast blew straight up, but not out apparently. The walls of the buildings next-door are still secure and everything in between those other buildings is just gone.

:gas:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

93% of chuds who went to a chud conference approve of President Chud, wow!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

Bills are being introduced to state legislatures already tho.

in garbage hell hole states maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

lol, world's best dad for the millennial generation

• Locked thread