Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

doverhog posted:

Consider your life, and why this kind of low level poo poo entertains you. I post because I consider it creative writing, and art. It entertains me, but it also makes the world a better place, because in this tiny sliver of reality as we see it, there was some truth. Truth presented askance, but with earnest intent.

If you're trying to tell me my life is poo poo and boring, you aren't telling me anything new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I let all of my creative energy flow into my posts, so they are like a beautiful sunset for people to enjoy

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If you're trying to tell me my life is poo poo and boring, you aren't telling me anything new.

I am telling you, it does not have to be that. As to how to change it, only you can know that for you. The first step is knowing you want the change.

veni veni veni posted:

I let all of my creative energy flow into my posts, so they are like a beautiful sunset for people to enjoy

Sunset, beautiful. The truth seen head on: blinding, painful. I seek the truth, but speak of it in passing, with irony and symbolism.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

I am telling you, it does not have to be that. As to how to change it, only you can know that for you. The first step is knowing you want the change.

I think I'll just keep making really bad posts, thanks anyway though.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I was talking about your life, you are the one who called it poo poo and boring. Change is possible.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

I was talking about your life, you are the one who called it poo poo and boring. Change is possible.

you have reached my heart and I will surely never make a bad post again thank you for inspiring me

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I wish your heart is strong, and that you have happiness in your IRL life. :angel: This sentiment is entirely genuine.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

I think I'll just keep making really bad posts, thanks anyway though.

To stop pushing people away, you must stop doing the things which push people away. I can't say for sure, but that might include making really bad posts.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Those fake documentairs the Discovery Channel made about mermaids and megalodons were loving awesome, and only the absolute worst kind of dumbass nerd got mad about them

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd personally hunt an endangered species to extinction in exchange for getting to see footage of live megalodons. Sharks are loving awesome.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Anyone who has ever unironically used the word "millennials" can safely be tuned out. Just say "young people" and admit that you're old and out of touch, even if you're 30.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Pitt the elder was the best British PM.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Alvarez IV posted:

Anyone who has ever unironically used the word "millennials" can safely be tuned out. Just say "young people" and admit that you're old and out of touch, even if you're 30.

30-year-olds are millennials anyway.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Millennial is an old person term to describe the young, who are full of life, organic food, and tinder cum. Some people get old sooner than others.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tarantula posted:

Pitt the elder was the best British PM.

Lord Palmerston!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
26 + 6 = 1

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Grandmother of Five posted:

most people become better people when they become parents

Not to people who work in retail.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

doverhog posted:

I post because I consider it creative writing, and art.

This is the saddest possible sentence.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

This is the saddest possible sentence.

What is your reason for posting? Just to "rile people up"? You also post, but apparently do it while denying any value therein. Art can be anything really, and on SA everything is published instead of going into the metaphorical drawer. I've no illusions of becoming the next Bukowski, such a thing is not possible anymore. I however can, for example, call you out for being kinda feeble, or talk about eating rear end in GBS. Maybe I will re-energize and get back to that fantasy novel I never finished, but in the mean time, consider yourself served.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I guess everyone should just not vote then!

Langosta Whiteman posted:

When you can throw an empty soda pop into a gutter without feeling like a shithead then you can say "your vote doesn't count."

Littering has a measurable effect compared to not littering. There is now one more soda can in the gutter. The outcome changes, depending on whether or not you litter. Of course, comparing the impact of your can to the impact of industrial pollution shows that your can really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things; but it does matter just a little bit.
This is not the same as voting, where the outcome is not affected by your individual vote (except in the edge case where they vote is split by one). In the case of voting, your individual vote literally does not matter.

An argument could be made that your vote affects metrics, that is to say, more people voting one way, even if it doesn't change the outcome, might affect the way that they canvass next year; but even then, the effect is tiny, your individual vote still would not present a significant change, and to be honest, I don't think people vote for the sake of the metrics for the subsequent election.

If everyone didn't vote then yes, your vote would have value, as you would be the only vote. But that is not the world we live in; millions of people do vote. In that world (the one we live in), whether you vote D or R has absolutely no bearing on the outcome, and therefore does not matter.

All of this is true for any non-graduated vote; but is especially true for FPtP 2 party America. (Never mind the electoral college negating the popular vote)

Apologies for resurrecting a sort-of derail, but I didn't want to ignore responses.

TheMaskedUgly has a new favorite as of 11:30 on Feb 26, 2018

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

doverhog posted:

You also post, but apparently do it while denying any value therein. Art can be anything really

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart
‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ - anon

TheMaskedUgly has a new favorite as of 11:24 on Feb 26, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Farts are best appreciated in IRL life, so you might wanna consider a change of medium.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
America should ban all semi-automatic guns. An gun control less than that will be ineffective.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

America should ban all semi-automatic guns. An gun control less than that will be ineffective.

The only way this would be truly effective is if they enacted the deepest fear of right-wing gun owners and actually did "come for are guns". The problem is that this would be incredibly time consuming and expensive, and possibly dangerous (not in the way of being a real threat, but some cops could get shot at) if/when the more extreme prepper types try and resist.

That's not to say they shouldn't do it, just why they probably won't, or they'll do a half measure that sounds good but doesn't actually change much.

also lol at the other guy considering their, or anyone's posts, "art".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The only way this would be truly effective is if they enacted the deepest fear of right-wing gun owners and actually did "come for are guns". The problem is that this would be incredibly time consuming and expensive, and possibly dangerous (not in the way of being a real threat, but some cops could get shot at) if/when the more extreme prepper types try and resist.

That's not to say they shouldn't do it, just why they probably won't, or they'll do a half measure that sounds good but doesn't actually change much.

also lol at the other guy considering their, or anyone's posts, "art".

Spinster makes some good art posts.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Yeah but the art is the art, not the post itself.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

doverhog posted:

What is your reason for posting? Just to "rile people up"? You also post, but apparently do it while denying any value therein. Art can be anything really, and on SA everything is published instead of going into the metaphorical drawer. I've no illusions of becoming the next Bukowski, such a thing is not possible anymore. I however can, for example, call you out for being kinda feeble, or talk about eating rear end in GBS. Maybe I will re-energize and get back to that fantasy novel I never finished, but in the mean time, consider yourself served.

Are the only two reasons for engaging other people to "rile them up" or "to produce art"?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I post because I'm bored at work a lot.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It wouldn't be dangerous because there wouldn't be any door-to-door confiscation like the gun owners fantasize about. First it would be made very illegal to buy, sell, manufacture, or import semi-automatic guns. But possession would still be fine for like a year or so. During that time there would be a buyback program, you could turn in your gun to the government and get fair value back. This would also allow time for whatever permits were needed for historical guns or what have you to be sorted out. After that, possession would be made illegal. Punished by confiscation of the gun and, I dunno, you gotta watch that video of the kids walking past their dead classmates. But there would be no reason for door-to-door searches or anything like that. There would also be some kinda amnesty thing where, after the ban comes into effect you can still turn in your gun without being convicted of a crime, they take the gun, take down your info in case it turns out the gun was used for crimes, and off you go. But you don't get the money like if you'd turned in your gun when you were supposed to.

It's a good plan, it would work, anything less wouldn't prevent shootings.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

No one would turn them in. Everyone would hold onto their guns, wait for the law to be enacted, and then sell them for ridiculous amounts of money since now there's a black market for them.

edit:
Remember how well criminalizing booze turned out?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Those folksie/"accoustic" versions of popular songs (especially pop music) are just as terrible as any given dubstep remix made by a middle schooler. Same goes for those melcholic, "lone piano player" ones.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

No one would turn them in. Everyone would hold onto their guns, wait for the law to be enacted, and then sell them for ridiculous amounts of money since now there's a black market for them.

edit:
Remember how well criminalizing booze turned out?

There's important differences between prohibition and my excellent gun ban idea. Alcohol was part of everyone's life, everyone drank. Only a minority of the population owns a gun of any kind. Alcohol is chemically habit forming, guns aren't. There wasn't any legal easy replacement for booze, there are hundreds of other hobbies gun owners could take up. Prohibition just started one day, my very good gun ban plan gives everybody a good long time to get used to the idea. Prohibition banned all alcoholic beverages, my gun ban only bans semi-automatics. So if you really like guns, you can still enjoy bolt-action rifles, revolvers, black powder cannons, and so on.

I also think people are more reasonable than you give them credit for. I think that a majority of gun owners would willingly turn in their guns, instead of waiting until they can make a profit selling them to ISIS like you would. I mean, hell, you can make a profit doing that now, but very few people do. But if you would rather your guns be in the hands of a Mexican drug cartel, I guess that's your choice.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's not a bad plan. I'm just saying it won't work because people are terrible and organized crime will latch onto it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's no way to completely remove all guns, that's a bad goal. The real goal is to drastically reduce the amount of guns floating around out there. Make guns rare, more expensive, harder to get.

It's also important to note that shutting down gun manufacturing in the US would be a massive blow to the international illegal gun trade.

Guy Goodbody has a new favorite as of 14:58 on Feb 26, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's no way to completely remove all guns, that's a bad goal. The real goal is to drastically reduce the amount of guns floating around out there. Make guns rare, more expensive, harder to get.

It's also important to note that shutting down gun manufacturing in the US would be a [i]massive[/] blow to the international illegal gun trade.

Not to mention putting tens of thousands out of work. It's all positives!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not to mention putting tens of thousands out of work. It's all positives!

By that logic we shouldn't prosecute hitmen. Hardworking hitmen, put out of a job by big nanny state government banning murder for hire. Murder for hire is an American tradition! And anyway, if you make it illegal to order an assassination, you're just gonna drive the whole industry underground!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, that's exactly the same thing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

By that logic we shouldn't prosecute hitmen. Hardworking hitmen, put out of a job by big nanny state government banning murder for hire. Murder for hire is an American tradition! And anyway, if you make it illegal to order an assassination, you're just gonna drive the whole industry underground!

But...they already do ban murder for hire, and it did drive the whole industry underground?

Come on, you can come up with a better analogy than that.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My only hesitancy against a complete gun ban is their necessity in rural setting. Ranchers and farmers 100 miles from towns don't have the luxury of calling for help. If they have a rabid or mortally wounded animal, a vet isn't always on hand. If there's an issue with coyotes, cougars or hell, even deer, the nearest animal control center may be hundreds of miles away. In addition to that is hunting, which I think I brought up earlier in this thread: Just about every hunter I know was from a poor family and relied on the meat to supplement their diet. With the added benefit of culling a deer population that terrorizes the environment when burgeoning. There are a lot of rural people who own a gun that is 100% not meant to be used on a human being. Now, in an urban setting? Yeah, I agree there's no real need for guns there.

Actually, how'd Australia handle the rural bit? They have a similar issue of sprawling wilderness pecked with civilization. Brits can't seem to quite comprehend the idea that the US is a around 40 times their size and that you can potentially cross the full length of the UK here without running into a town. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

He was only referring to semi-automatic weapons, not guns entirely I think. You can still hunt etc with a bolt-action rifle or whatever.