Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

trucutru posted:

Derek, Personally I like your crazy antics but surely you must realize that not everything happens because of you? (And that even if it did it is in bad form to point to it yourself) Reddit has been throwing a shitfit over bind culling for a while now, I think that's a more logical explanation for the need to do some damage control.

While on the face of it, that may be the case, that's not how empirical evidence works.

Reddit chuckleheads have had their knickers in a twist since 2016 over this and MANY other things. I don't care about them, or the premise. The irrefutable fact is that he posted that less than 24hrs after my Twitter scoop post. And in the early AM in their time too. It's not the first time that has happened.

And it's not the first time something like this has happened. Which is how we coined the narrative that they keep reacting to me.

So it doesn't really matter whether or not he did it because of Reddit, and it's not like it's a new furor over the same thing. Clive was already in the hotspot over networking these past months. The latest being in Dec 2017, which I wrote about in this article.

To me, it is immaterial why he did it. So coincidence or not, other unknown reasons or not, the irrefutable fact remains that, once again, they responded to a key issue less than 24hrs after I said they hadn't done it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Conspiratiorist posted:

I was personally attacked by Dolvak out of the left field.

He was being a total shitlord.

Yeah, I think Dolvak didn't really think through the amount of poo poo that was going to come back at him if he threw some. I still don't know what made him do that. But either way I wish we could have held our tongues for a bit because I think Jake's a genuinely reasonable dude and I was enjoying talking with him.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

rawr im a tree posted:

you are the dumbest motherfucker i've seen on these forums. this includes the fingat guy. you are not allowed to call any one moron, you loving dumb poo poo.

This is an embarrassing post.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Letting people have slapfights about the good Warlord doesn't make Star Citizen look worse, it just makes /refunds look more like /dereksmart.

Also, it's a lot of work.

Good point. But it would only look more like /r/ds without moderation (which is a lot of work).

----------------

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Are you talking about this? Because what you posted above is inaccurate.

Backers need to face the reality now

Could it be that these avid supporters, even those who were attacking Dr Smart at every turn, have finally come to the realization that, despite people's misgivings about him, knew what he was talking about in 2015 - and that the general consensus now is that there is no way this can be ignored any longer?

I have been catching up on the latest arguments with the development, the current one being the networking issues which again Dr Smart had claimed they hadn't done, probably can't do, and why. This is what he wrote on Feb 24th, which is a recap.

He posted this scoop last night on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/967575127587262464

Earlier today, I saw this posted online that a dev had come out shortly after and confirmed yet another of his statements (about the networking).

So, is it now safe to say - irrefutably - that as he claimed years ago, having built these types of massive games, that what CIG were attempting to do - after increasing the game's scope - could not be done? After 6 years of dev and $180 million, with all the things they have either removed or not done, can this be disputed any longer? What sort of game are backers now expecting at the end of this tunnel?

From the thread, this is what Beet said about it's removal:

I don't agree with the "doesn't appear to have much of anything to do with refunds" when in fact you currently have an entire page of topics which have nothing to do with refunds. But whatever - it's not my fight.
[/quote]

It's like you just don't understand sarcastic joke development. On a dead gay comedy forum. On the internet.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah, I think Dolvak didn't really think through the amount of poo poo that was going to come back at him if he threw some. I still don't know what made him do that. But either way I wish we could have held our tongues for a bit because I think Jake's a genuinely reasonable dude and I was enjoying talking with him.

I think Sandi was brought up and it went downhill from there

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

AbstractNapper posted:

Have CIG ever even uttered the word "beta" in context with their "game" ?

As recently as September 2017, the cheeky chancers...

quote:

Chris Roberts: The term beta in terms of Star Citizen - with 3.0 the game is moving into a phase akin to Early Access. It'll build and grow from there, and then you could say 'well, it's not really Early Access anymore'. The price will probably go up a little bit and it will have much more of the features and content going on.

That whole article is hilarious. And simultaneously enraging.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Conspiratiorist posted:

I was personally attacked by Dolvak out of the left field.

He was being a total shitlord.

Word. I was there with you when that happened. Dolvak decided he was going to jump into the Derek loving Smart Nest of Goons and start a slapfight. He got his rear end handed to him for that. Everyone was cool (except for Bafta. That boy ain't right in the head) until Dolvak started to get lovely. Then it was a total dogpile as is customary in Derek's Discord. Hell, that Discord could be considered a game all on its own now that I think about it.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Daztek posted:

I think it was when I posted this...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

That sounds about right. It was long enough ago that I don't remember it exactly, but I do remember Dolvak saying that was his line in the sand and crossing it had made us disgusting or something like that. IDK if it was something he brought up on his own or if it was in response to a joke made in the moment. Ultimately I suppose it doesn't matter.

e: ^^^ that might have been it lol

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

PederP posted:

CryEngine/LumberYard does have culling at the render level, but the clients and "server" (which is essentially a modified client running on their end) are getting CPU-choked from redundant entity state synchronization and physics simulation.

Their network engine doesn't support ANY KIND of culling. That's why they are talking about replacing state synchronization and remote method invocations with custom code. They're still coding the building blocks needed for actual distance-based culling / interest management. If bind culling ever arrives, nothing will improve, there will be tons of new bugs, and a new jesus network feature will take its place.

Yup.

The hilarious part is that, neither does Lumberyard because Amazon are apparently focused on achievable session based games which is why they advise NOT to develop an MMO with it or be ready to change a ton of things.

I have written about Gridmate before, but one of the Lumberyard devs wrote this book which was released back in Nov 2017. Multiplayer Programming in Amazon Lumberyard using Gridmate

quote:

GridMate is Lumberyard's networking subsystem. GridMate is designed for efficient bandwidth usage and low-latency communications. You can synchronize objects over the network with GridMate's replica framework. GridMate's session management integrates with major online console services and lets you handle peer-to-peer and client-server topologies with host migration. GridMate also supports in-game achievements, leaderboards, and cloud-based saved games through third-party social services such as Steam.

Sure, you don't have to use Gridmate, but for a multiplayer game, that's like buying a Ferrari and taking out the engine, replacing it with the engine from a BMW.

I said this right through 2017, across several articles, it doesn't matter if/when they implement all this "new" tech they're calling serialized variables, network bind culling etc - the difference won't be noticeable because they're building an MMO. Good luck with that server mesh.

----------------

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

big nipples big life posted:

Is OldSchoolCommando literally the only person that uses "Dr. Smart" unironicly?

I probably should have put quotes around OSC and person as well.

No, I use it too. For one, the guy earned it. And also because I know it grinds those spergs in his fanclub absolute batshit because of their obsession about the legitimacy of the good Dr.s Double Doctorate.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

DapperDon posted:

Should've shopped in Dolvaks head or something

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

Hell, that Discord could be considered a game all on its own now that I think about it.

The only winning move, etc. Works for online discourse AND nuclear war. One being a horrific and senseless waste of life, and the other being nuclear war.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

DapperDon posted:

the guy earned it

:lol:

ok, back to waiting for space court

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Wuxi posted:

Should've shopped in Dolvaks head or something

This is Star Citizen Canon. It cannot be altered in any way without being a cheap knockoff. It is the sum total embodiment of the battle between Backers and Derek.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Hazamuth posted:

Ben Lesnick, developer of appetite

Has anyone said Ben Lesnick, enveloper?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DapperDon posted:

Word. I was there with you when that happened. Dolvak decided he was going to jump into the Derek loving Smart Nest of Goons and start a slapfight. He got his rear end handed to him for that. Everyone was cool (except for Bafta. That boy ain't right in the head) until Dolvak started to get lovely. Then it was a total dogpile as is customary in Derek's Discord. Hell, that Discord could be considered a game all on its own now that I think about it.

He expected this but got something different?

Come to think of it, I'd play the hell out of “Derek's Discord — a 1943 reskin”. :D

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Well, until someone can show me the smoking gun that can prove it is fraudulent then I am just one of those guys that is fine with it. It's not like the man is going to be preforming open heart surgery on anyone in some back alley in Miami or something. If he wants to be a PhD or 3 of them, then that's cool with me. I just think the whole thing is funny.

DapperDon fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 26, 2018

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

TheAgent posted:

anything even remotely related to us or derek is immediately dismissed anyway

Speak for yourself. I'm the n°1 source on Ben and renowned for my exactitude. Here is the last juicy info : Ben may be alive but may not last for the star citizen release.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

The great irony here is that in support of this argument:

Good old Nacksche has linked to a page in the old thread where Derek outs NitroTypat and the entire thread spends the next dozen pages calling him an rear end in a top hat for it.

:grin:

----------------

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

That sounds about right. It was long enough ago that I don't remember it exactly, but I do remember Dolvak saying that was his line in the sand and crossing it had made us disgusting or something like that. IDK if it was something he brought up on his own or if it was in response to a joke made in the moment. Ultimately I suppose it doesn't matter.

e: ^^^ that might have been it lol

Yes it makes perfect sense that making fun of :females: is his "line in the sand" despite the fact that she's just as culpable as Chris for the state of the game and its community. If anything she's worse - she encouraged and endorsed toxicity and hostility, whereas Chris was too busy waving his hands to do any actual work.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Yes it makes perfect sense that making fun of :females: is his "line in the sand" despite the fact that she's just as culpable as Chris for the state of the game and its community. If anything she's worse - she encouraged and endorsed toxicity and hostility, whereas Chris was too busy waving his hands to do any actual work.

Mrs. Taking A Break From Social Media To Milk Sperg Sympathy

gently caress her and everything she stands for.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Xaerael posted:

Inevitable consequence of trying to please the idiot who thought every shot fired would persist untill it hit something, and you could potentially be hit by a round that was fired seveal days ago, and you would be able to bend rounds around planets using their gravity and you could and you will and then.... :v:

:laffo::laffo:

ps: yeah, pretty much

----------------

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

https://i.imgur.com/RjqazbK.gifv

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

DapperDon posted:

It's like you just don't understand sarcastic joke development. On a dead gay comedy forum. On the internet.

Beet :

quote:

This doesn't appear to have much of anything to do with refunds, and seems more directed towards vindicating Derek Smart and/or baiting idiots into getting mad about Derek Smart, neither of which are a focus of this subreddit.

I'm removing this. If you really feel there's some conversation to be gained here, consider reposting it in the weekly chat thread.

You:

quote:

No, Beet did that. Didn't pertain to the rules about Refunds and was just a effort/defense post for Derek Smart by Old School Commander and totally not Derek Smart.

Me:

quote:

Are you talking about this? Because what you posted above is inaccurate.

Yeah, that's not how sarcastic joke development. On a dead gay comedy forum. On the internet. Works. There are rules. Rule #1 is that it has to be funny.

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 26, 2018

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

DapperDon posted:

No, I use it too. For one, the guy earned it. And also because I know it grinds those spergs in his fanclub absolute batshit because of their obsession about the legitimacy of the good Dr.s Double Doctorate.

DapperDon posted:

Well, until someone can show me the smoking gun that can prove it is fraudulent then I am just one of those guys that is fine with it. It's not like the man is going to be preforming open heart surgery on anyone in some back alley in Miami or something. If he wan't to be a PhD or 3 of them, then that's cool with me. I just think the whole thing is funny.

LOL

ManofManyAliases fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 26, 2018

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Star Citizer and the smarticles of impeachment

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

From that linked thread:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
I am seeing a full page of Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway.

What happened? Is MoMa back?

----------------

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

:aaaaa:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Daztek posted:

As a man, he had to stand.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Does anyone have the original "Inevitable consequences of piracy" post handy?

I don't think I've actually seen it firsthand. Just the legend.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

DapperDon posted:

#Iliedownwithsandi

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Nice meltdown. But really, I'm just everyone's friend here and this is all in good fun.

That’s the spirit, MoMA. We’re all just friends here, building something great floor after floor.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 26, 2018

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Gentlemen! War Room! Etc!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SoftNum posted:

Wait there's are people who defend what this lady did to Ecce Homo?

I thought it was all just a huge joke. (Except the part where a piece of art was ruined)

Nah, the original painting was nothing special, the new one is art.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

DapperDon posted:

I do too because at first I thought the Dr. stood for Derek, and at that time he was the mod here so as an asslicker I had to show obedience, but I still use it because since he posted pictures of his cat he went from "poster in the thread" to "poster in the thread with his cat" and that earn my respect.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

D_Smart posted:

I am seeing a full page of Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway.

What happened? Is MoMa back?

Go gently caress yourself Dr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Lol I was waiting for someone to post happy retard turtle baby