Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

photoshop in a roller backpack and it could be a video of any high school anime fan darting to their next class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

this rules

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Not a Children posted:

You're supposed to do a walkabout of your car every time you get in

Think about how many people you know who do that

Now think about how many people you know who would scoff in your face if you tried to tell them they should do that

i do it cuz im a dork

i don't do the full "make sure your turn signals work" thing though :ohdear:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Not a Children posted:

Now think about how many people you know who would scoff in your face if you tried to tell them they should do that

in the police quest games if you didn't do this before getting into your patrolcar one of your wheels would come off and you crashed and died

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

flakeloaf posted:

Thank you for playing Police Quest! Don't make this mistake again!

efb

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ate all the Oreos posted:

i do it cuz im a dork

i don't do the full "make sure your turn signals work" thing though :ohdear:

nah that's for when you're stopped behind/in front of a big reflective truck

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in the police quest games if you didn't do this before getting into your patrolcar one of your wheels would come off and you crashed and died

very sierra

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

gonna be embarrassing when the robots kill us and then they run away looking like they're cheering but really it's just how they have to run so they don't fall over

plz somebody photoshop the terminator chasing john conner like the funny runny robot

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

flakeloaf posted:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

This owns so hard

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Not a Children posted:

This owns so hard

http://www.linehollis.com/2014/02/08/line-on-sierra-police-quest-i/

wherein an angry man who did not read the manual has difficulty playing a game about a job that is mostly waiting, because he alternates between waiting and not knowing what to do because he did not read the manual

if he tried kings quest (cga) i think his brain would probably explode

hey wait is the reason today's nerds are painfully obtuse because we grew up with the idea that painfully obtuse games (like seriously, why do i still know how to spell "Ifnkovhgroghprm"?) were fun

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

super beaten

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/968198217945956352

The report also found many riders aren't using hailed rides to connect to a subway or bus line, but instead as a separate mode of transit, said Alison Felix, one of the report's authors.

"Ride sharing is pulling from and not complementing public transportation," she said.

That's not quite what Uber founder Travis Kalanick suggested in 2015 when he said, "We envision a world where there's no more traffic in Boston in five years."

A study released in December found that large increases in the number of taxis and ride-sharing vehicles are contributing to slow traffic in Manhattan's central business district. It recommended policies to prevent further increases in "the number of vacant vehicles occupied only by drivers waiting for their next trip request."

In San Francisco, a study released in June found that on a typical weekday, ride-hailing drivers make more than 170,000 vehicle trips, about 12 times the number of taxi trips, and that the trips are concentrated in the densest and most congested parts of the city.

And a survey released in October of more than 4,000 adults in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, the San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle and Washington, D.C., also concluded that 49 to 61 percent of ride-hailing trips would have not been made at all — or instead by walking, biking or public transit — if the option didn't exist.

hahahaha of course

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bbut self driving cars will solve this problem
*conveniently ignores how people actually travel and pretends that unoccupied robot cars will magically vanish or stack themselves into giant piles between trips*

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

instead of during them

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
what do you mean "ride sharing" services are just on-demand mommy chauffeur services for affluent white suburbanites?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tbh i have a friend that basically uses them whenever he has a trip that might take him outside of his immediate area because his car is a huge piece of poo poo he's afraid to take on the highway at this point

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
uber will completely eliminate traffic in 5 years! *pays sub-minimum wage to generate city-wide gridlock, returns to meditation sesh in lactation room*

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
like the only way that vision could come true is with some type of load-prediction and planning approach that, afaik, has never been attempted by any of these companies

and the trivial solution to which is buses and trains with regular routes

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lancemantis posted:

like the only way that vision could come true is with some type of load-prediction and planning approach that, afaik, has never been attempted by any of these companies

and the trivial solution to which is buses and trains with regular routes

img: morelanes.jpg

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
no i'm p sure the solution to traffic is "more cars"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have no sympathy for young, able-bodied people sitting in traffic because they're too lazy to walk like a mile but some people need to use private vehicle transport and their lives are getting worse

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the bay area is like a testament to the stupidity of private vehicle transport

the bridges and I580/other grades and passes are the worlds shittiest, most inefficient, slow daily crowd-trains

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

i dream for the day we go back to calling them taxis instead of ride sharing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the base problem is that people travel in waves creating huge peaks in usage compared to "average" and more vehicles will never, ever solve this, right now thanks to tncs a huge flood of cars come into the city for commute times and weekend nights, meaning there's not only more traffic in the city but more traffic going into and out of it around those times

I'd guess the average uber/lyft driver lives at least 25 miles outside of sf

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I used to ride my bike to work, and its incredibly sustainable to do in a region with basically perfect weather on 90+% of days

but I moved a bit closer to work and anticlimactically can no longer do that because of intersecting commuter infrastructure

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

qirex posted:

I have no sympathy for young, able-bodied people sitting in traffic because they're too lazy to walk like a mile but some people need to use private vehicle transport and their lives are getting worse

"need" because of some medical reason or "need" because infrastructure sucks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we made a rapid transit line through the downtown core of toronto for about$1.5 mil, cars are forced to turn off every block through the length of the pilot project, street cars have priority. it moves 84k people per day now, up from about 60k ppd.

you should see how goddamned loving salty some of the local business owners are, because the street is no longer choked with cars 18 hours a day. one protest?
https://twitter.com/Misener680NEWS/status/966014168213131264

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

lancemantis posted:

I used to ride my bike to work, and its incredibly sustainable to do in a region with basically perfect weather on 90+% of days

but I moved a bit closer to work and anticlimactically can no longer do that because of intersecting commuter infrastructure

people here in toronto do this, in some cases year round, despite it being, well, toronto

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

qirex posted:

the base problem is that people travel in waves creating huge peaks in usage compared to "average" and more vehicles will never, ever solve this, right now thanks to tncs a huge flood of cars come into the city for commute times and weekend nights, meaning there's not only more traffic in the city but more traffic going into and out of it around those times

I'd guess the average uber/lyft driver lives at least 25 miles outside of sf

my solution to solving traffic is to assign every business in the city a pre-defined start and stop shift time so that people get on and off work at random times around the clock instead of all at once. large businesses would get multiple ones so they don't have a disproportional impact

also all stores would be assigned random operating hour blocks so, on average, the store you want to go to is open

there are no problems with my idea please vote me for mayor 2018

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
that dril tweet but for private transport

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

raise the speed limits by 30 mph, boom youve just doubled the throughput of your transportation system plus everybody gets to their destination quicker

problem solved

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

i don't think i ever suggested that it's bad that spacex is making these rockets

it's just dumb that all these I loving Love Science nerds fall over themselves to fellate Ol' Musky, whose in toto contribution was to spot the company a bunch of money and tell them to build rockets, and don't even know who Tom Mueller (or any other member of the engineering crew) is

Elon “Elon Musk” Musk makes much bigger contributions than that at his companies

sometimes he swoops in and completely changes up the design and makes the engineers implement his insane ideas instead of what they’ve carefully worked out

and then blames the engineers for every failure along the way, while also demanding total dedication to the firm at great personal sacrifice

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/968198217945956352

The report also found many riders aren't using hailed rides to connect to a subway or bus line, but instead as a separate mode of transit, said Alison Felix, one of the report's authors.

"Ride sharing is pulling from and not complementing public transportation," she said.

That's not quite what Uber founder Travis Kalanick suggested in 2015 when he said, "We envision a world where there's no more traffic in Boston in five years."

A study released in December found that large increases in the number of taxis and ride-sharing vehicles are contributing to slow traffic in Manhattan's central business district. It recommended policies to prevent further increases in "the number of vacant vehicles occupied only by drivers waiting for their next trip request."

In San Francisco, a study released in June found that on a typical weekday, ride-hailing drivers make more than 170,000 vehicle trips, about 12 times the number of taxi trips, and that the trips are concentrated in the densest and most congested parts of the city.

And a survey released in October of more than 4,000 adults in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, the San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle and Washington, D.C., also concluded that 49 to 61 percent of ride-hailing trips would have not been made at all — or instead by walking, biking or public transit — if the option didn't exist.

hahahaha of course
yep. uber et so have noticeably contributed to even worse traffic around and in sf, especially on commute, night, and weekend hours with declining bart ridership for everything but peak commute (which of course is up an insanely

I can look out my window and see at least a third of cars have uber/Lyft stickers

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

infernal machines posted:

we made a rapid transit line through the downtown core of toronto for about$1.5 mil, cars are forced to turn off every block through the length of the pilot project, street cars have priority. it moves 84k people per day now, up from about 60k ppd.

that's not a rapid transit line lmao. you know the difference, you have real rapid transit services there.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i see a number of uber/lyft stickers on cars parked in my neighborhood at night, and I know these are the "lucky" ones that are probably living with their parents and driving to SF/wherever each day

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fishmech posted:

that's not a rapid transit line lmao. you know the difference, you have real rapid transit services there.

eh, it's more than one of our subway lines carries, dedicated row or no

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 26, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the point is, we took cars off the road, provably improved transit and increased the carrying capacity of the line, and goddamn, some folks are just mad as hell about it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol isn't this the founder of g*mergate

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ah yep there it is
https://twitter.com/eron_gj/status/953907838522482688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eh, it's more than one of our subway lines carries

do you mean the one that's just a like 4 station stub off a main one, or the one that is just a few stations connected by a weird airport people mover type vehicles.

the point is, we took cars off the road, provably improved transit and increased the carrying capacity of the line, and goddamn, some folks are just mad as hell about it

put the tracks in the air or under the ground and turn the ground level into a pedestrian mall with the turn lanes on the side, imo.