Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Nate RFB posted:

I will venture a guess that at least short term, Casca will stay with the group (she's honestly too integral/central of a character for our main POV to move on from her) but she and Guts will be super distant if not somewhat antagonistic.

If you squint that's actually a decent description of their present relationship, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Why would Casca hate guts?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The real question is will awoken Casca remember anything of the time she was broken? If so then I would think she'd be p sympathetic to Guts and the crew.

If not, I can see an annoying amount of exposition and debate we could prb skip, or she's def leaving the group to find herself before saving them later/immediately wandering off to be caught by the demon legions resulting in a rescue finale/arc either of which would feel super anticlimatic.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Guts strangled her and tried to rape her right after they first set out for Elfhelm, when he was really salty about Griffith being back. He was basically tying her up and dragging her after him between then and when Farnese and Schierke show up. I don’t think she’s going to be super happy about that.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
this is only going to mean a less angry guts in the long run

i wanted him to get so angry he was able to kill the god hand, or at least griffith

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think my favourite part is that nobody here knows what is actually gonna happen. It's all guesswork and there's the real chance that everybody is wrong. It's great.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I hope it means this is going to end soon and we are all freed

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
We just had several chapters inside Casca’s mind where Guts was her scary-looking but heroic protector and Griffith was a giant, horrifying force of evil constantly seeking to destroy her. Seriously, why are people even beginning to suggest that she might run on back to her rapist?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
It's the most hosed up thing they can think of happening in a story known for having hosed up things happen. But yes it glosses over a lot to get there.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
That's why I'm rooting for a Rocky-inspired training montage to get her back up to snuff.

They can do tennis doubles now though: Griffith/Charlotte vs. Guts/Casca

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
casca is gonna leave guts cause he kissed slan

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
You all really want Casca to be irrationally dumb if she's actually fixed for some reason

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm putting $20 down on Casca wanting to kill herself, and only the combined implausible pluck of everyone except Guts being enough to convince her not to.

Part of me just thinks she'd have trouble accepting death as the best alternative when you've got a prepubescent mage, a formerly sadomasochistic witch hunter, a foppish butler, a monkey, and two flying chestnuts who are like "Eh it ain't so bad!"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Casca's first act is going to go over and beat up Guts and he's going to let it happen because she's speaking words and he can't stop crying from the sheer happiness of having her back. First she's gonna smack him a bit for the strangling and rope collar, then she's going to really let into him about going off to die and leaving her behind. And then she draws his dagger to his neck about the baby.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 26, 2018

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Guts and Casca decide to cut their losses and settle down in Elfhelm as farmers. When they can't agree on what to grow, Guts finally understands the skull knight's ominous warning.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
People confuse being grimdark with being good. Those people are dumb. The real ending is Azan beating up the god hand, marrying the Flowerstorm Queen, and having a dozen adorable barrel shaped fairy babies.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this is probably the beginning of act 3 and the idea of that makes me despondent

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Caska healed makes Guts and her settle down in Elfhelm, the story then shifts to Rickert who has become a quasi-Guts, with added training from the Bakiraka clan.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Its more than likely going to be a bit icy before they have a talk to settle things then she joins the crew because gently caress that guy.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Caska and Guts: Quest for the Demon Baby

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Its more than likely going to be a bit icy before they have a talk to settle things then she joins the crew because gently caress that guy.

all we need is another body of water for Guts to save Casca from

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

U-DO Burger posted:

It'd be great if getting Casca back makes Guts decide to give up on revenge and just live a quiet life with her in Elfhelm, but Casca's too pissed at everything to agree to that and decides to go on her own rampage of revenge
I think I like this idea the most actually. "What she wants may not be what you want" combined with Guts mellowing out in recent arcs, etc.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

We just had several chapters inside Casca’s mind where Guts was her scary-looking but heroic protector and Griffith was a giant, horrifying force of evil constantly seeking to destroy her. Seriously, why are people even beginning to suggest that she might run on back to her rapist?

That's my line of thinking as well but who knows!

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Now that Farnese and Scheirke have a solid understanding of what happened to Guts and Casca, the dynamic of the group is going to be insane. For the first time Guts isn't burdened with being the only one who knew what happened during the eclispe, Puck had an inkling of the depth of his pain, but never knew for sure. Its quite exposing for Guts to have someone else know so much about his past. When Guts and Casca first speak, they better not be near any drat waterfalls!

Farnese and Casca will be an interesting interaction, she has dedicated so much time to take care of Casca, has grown an incredible amount as a person as a result, the culmination of her efforts I'm very fascinated to see.

Gonna miss Gutsdog. He's a good boy.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

We're really going to find out how good of a writer Miura is over these next few chapters.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
He's a fantastic writer and if you haven't noticed that by now I dunno what else to tell you.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

CharlestheHammer posted:

I'm kind of hoping for Casca to experience several years worth of experiences and emotions over the span of a few days as her conscious mind plays catch-up with everything that's happened. Like she knows, but her mind it still processing it all so she's a little erratic here and there in her tone and feelings for everyone, especially Guts.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

He's a fantastic writer and if you haven't noticed that by now I dunno what else to tell you.

Sure, but how many writers leave a plot thread hanging for 20 odd years and then stick the landing when they finally resolve it?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
because the worst timeline is casca using the behelit under a pretense to bring griffith near, marking the people most close to her that took care of her so she can shank that mother fucker griffith with guts's help. Only makes sense afterwards though.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Sure, but how many writers leave a plot thread hanging for 20 odd years and then stick the landing when they finally resolve it?

If Akagi can do it so can Berserk.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

U-DO Burger posted:

It'd be great if getting Casca back makes Guts decide to give up on revenge and just live a quiet life with her in Elfhelm, but Casca's too pissed at everything to agree to that and decides to go on her own rampage of revenge

This. Casca's arc basically becomes 'Kill Bill', except instead of Bill it's obviously Griffith.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

He's a fantastic artist and a workmanlike writer, who based the most compelling and character-driven arc of his manga on real friendships he had in high school, but when he ran out of inspirational material one of those characters reverted to a child-like state and the other became evil and both have basically been in near-stasis since then.

So I'm hopeful but I'm not 100% confident.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Grognan posted:

because the worst timeline is casca using the behelit under a pretense to bring griffith near, marking the people most close to her that took care of her so she can shank that mother fucker griffith with guts's help. Only makes sense afterwards though.

aw hell, i forgot about the behelit. unless casca wakes up sane (a very unlikely prospect) she'd totally use that dang thing.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

aw hell, i forgot about the behelit. unless casca wakes up sane (a very unlikely prospect) she'd totally use that dang thing.

sorry that's Puck's behilit, Casca can't use it :colbert:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

drjuggalo posted:

casca is gonna leave guts cause he kissed slan

Guts: We were on a break!!!!
Serpico: Could he be more wrong?!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The trouble with all writers of epic fantasy is that they can get really popular before having a track record for if they can resolve the sort of story they're telling in a satisfying way. Miura, George R. R Martin, Rothfuss? All popular creators who have no track record yet on endings.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Ending a series is a separate skill from starting it. Not many people are prolific enough to have multiple epic series, so you usually can't get a good indication of how skilled an author is at wrapping things up until you've already taken the plunge. I think Erikson's Malazan series sticks its landing pretty drat well, but I had no way of knowing that until I got there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I hope I get to see my chestnut friend again soon. Not next month, the one after ideally.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

One of the most fascinating things about Berserk, if you ask me, is the sheer care and patience put into its characters. Nobody would deny the raw appeal of monster slaying action and metal covers as panels, but the comic could easily be so much dumber, and it just isn't. That kinda makes me confident Miura has it all planned out, and is very careful about how to get there. I believe in Berserk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I avoided Berserk for several years because I assumed it was some edgy Heavy Metal-esque crap with above average art as its main selling point. Berserk is much better than that and I have confidence in Miura’s abilities.