Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

What is wrong with people?

Well, it started with the mods like Toast not giving a poo poo about the community they represented and managed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Virtual Captain posted:

Soliciting endorsements to appear on that page and in a new presskit section. My earlier instructions were bad and required posting which cuts out lurkers.

Fill out this google form instead: link
Feel free to share that link anywhere else you talk about Star Citizen. I don't have incredible reach.

Looking to expand this upcoming section:

I hope mine gets featured :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I know CR isn't like a wizard of new ideas, but I can't help but feel like these aliens are terrible. It's like something the 1950s would make as an alien before they could do cooler suits for Alien xenomorphs.

Don't even mind the fact they have unlimited ability for alien looks in cgi.

Also, I really dislike how all of CRs aliens are always "barely out of the stone age, but uh we fly space ships too with our spears and swords and knives somehow".

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Preen Dog posted:

quote:

D_Smart posted:
The lols will come when backers see that both serialized variables and network traffic culling get implemented (LOL!) and they still have piss-poor network performance. In fact, I have to believe that the engineers KNOW that it won't make much difference, and that's why they keep kicking the can down the road. The day they release a build with that stuff in there, and it's "meh", we're looking at 3.1 lols like we did when 3.0 Jesus Patch landed. And we're still loling at that one.

It could be even worse than that. They could be genuinely trying to cull traffic, and it could help, but the lack of concrete design makes the task impossible. The same reason why nothing else works.

For example, lets say you wanted to do something simple, and not update a player about other ships that are > 5km away.

quote:

Network lead: Hey Chris, we're putting in distance culling and we need to know how the long range scanning system will work. What rules decide if a ship can be detected in a scan? How often must these updates happen? What information shows up in the long range scan; position, rotation, shields, energy signatures, what? Is the scan continuous or is it a one-shot thing? By the way, you told us last week that you wanted long range torpedoes. Does the player need to see ships that can fire these? Also, should the Acme Indefatigator particle beam show up past 5 km?

CR: (Handwaving commences)The long range sensor shows you the location and the general composition of other ships and asteroids if you want more information you can focus on one area to get higher resolution but other ships might pick up these emissions you also have passive sensors that might see a spike in energy readings from weapons fire or ships exploding far away but this depends on your own heat and RF output and objects that are blocking your scan the torpedos are cloaked but if you have a SMXGT-17 military sensor you can see them in your frontal arc whenever the torpedo makes a turn but if your wingman has a transponder you can see his ship anywhere a data-link signal can reach which relays all the information about his contacts to your sensor display remember the datalink is blocked by hydrogen clouds unless they have the dish array get it done by next week because we need it for the anniversary sale of the... (handwaving intensifies until airborne. CR tumbles down the hall bouncing off the walls and ceiling)

Network lead: Right away.

First of all, let me offer this emote to you for bringing up something that I keep forgetting about.

:perfect:

Now to the fun (dev) part.

Even though my 5km range was hypothetical, it serves to highlight precisely how they have hosed up this whole thing by - you guessed it - doing a 64-Bit precision hack.

I wrote about that, amid much derision by our Shitizen friends.

09/26/2017: Ben Parry

11/22-2015: my article

11-20-2015: Here on SA

Now they've got huge numbers. And it's space.

Because ANY implementation of a radar scan HAS to know the position of an entity being scanned, that location data not only needs to be obtained, stored, and updated - in real time - but that CANNOT be done without actually having accurate position data for the entity being scanned.

You can't have an object that is 6km away, not show up on scanners that have a range of 5km. Sure, the object may exist, but the scanner has to not only cull out that info, but it HAS to rely on ACCURATE position and state changes for that object - REGARDLESS - of whether or not it is "in scope".

Why?

loving :lol: ....because, consider this. ObjectX (target in the world that's likely to be scanned)

pos1.client1: 4km from ObjectX // receives data

pos2.client2: 5km from ObjectX // receives data

pos3.client3: 6km from ObjectX // receives no data

Now imagine that there are 8 clients at pos1 and 8 at pos2; all those clowns in their chariots are going to need info about ObjectX.

It doesn't matter that another 8 clients at pos3 aren't going to get anything; and the performance is negligible to the extent that it's not even noticeable - at all.

The fact remains that in a situation where you have to plan for your max clients (e.g. 24 clients in a capped Star Citizen instance) to ALWAYS be within range of EVERYTHING at ANY TIME, you haven't actually solved the problem with serialized variables or network traffic culling. No. All you've done is mitigated the issue to the extent that you are hoping that your clients remain spread out over time.

And that is why these games have instances. Which are client-capped.

And that is why, even in games with the best multiplayer, when you have a group of clients in generally the same place, doing all kinds of poo poo, there are performance issues from both rendering and networking aspects.

So imagine a group of SC clients in their chariots doing combat with less clients within their "bubble". Then something (combat, trade run etc) forces them all to be within a 5km range of each other - and the radar has to be accurate etc. If it's not, guess what happens. Yes, you guessed it. They would not see objects on radar, they would go to a last known location and nothing be there etc.

Trust me when I tell you this: The minute those devs enabled this, EVERYTHING is going to break.

And here you were concerned that they can't do ramps or functional doors.

Like I said, I have to believe that the devs KNOW what's going to happen and that it's going to break more things and then NOT solve the problem. That's why they keep kicking this crucial can down the road.

ps: object container streaming is the same bullshit.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, that's not how sarcastic joke development. On a dead gay comedy forum. On the internet. Works. There are rules. Rule #1 is that it has to be funny.

:ironicat:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Quavers posted:

While trying to find something else from INN's history of great journalism, I found this by Nehkara (INN Relay writer):

Dec 2014: "Beta and release in two years" :lol:

Also from that month (from this :reddit: post that was linked in the Reddit thread above):

:laffo:

Star Citizer: sorry Derek, Massively called it :smuggo:

:vince:
:perfect:
:bravo::bravo:

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Well, it started with the mods like Toast not giving a poo poo about the community they represented and managed...

0_o

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Zzr posted:

It's your people, so tell us.

:laffo:

----------------

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:five:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Titanic posted:

I know CR isn't like a wizard of new ideas, but I can't help but feel like these aliens are terrible. It's like something the 1950s would make as an alien before they could do cooler suits for Alien xenomorphs.

Also, I really dislike how all of CRs aliens are always "barely out of the stone age, but uh we fly space ships too with our spears and swords and knives somehow".

I think what I notice the most is how every race is painfully one-dimensional when you look at promotional art for them.

Back in the Wing Commander days it was humans vs cats. Now its humans vs turtle/lizard people and birds and like one other race maybe? The art is usually like 1 character looking into the distance or menacing a sleeping woman with a dagger to her throat.

At least with Star Trek or Star Wars you get other races that aren't always just "Oh, yeah, its fish people... IN SPAAAAAAACE!"

But then again its also weird that a galaxy of 100 systems only has 5 or so space-faring species.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think what I notice the most is how every race is painfully one-dimensional when you look at promotional art for them.

Back in the Wing Commander days it was humans vs cats. Now its humans vs turtle/lizard people and birds and like one other race maybe? The art is usually like 1 character looking into the distance or menacing a sleeping woman with a dagger to her throat.

At least with Star Trek or Star Wars you get other races that aren't always just "Oh, yeah, its fish people... IN SPAAAAAAACE!"

But then again its also weird that a galaxy of 100 systems only has 5 or so space-faring species.

What I notice is the lingering feeling whenever I look at something Chris Roberts "created" that I'm looking at something familiar - like I've seen it before in a real sci-fi franchise.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

:thumbsup:

Well that’s a surprising turn. After all the toxicity he’s spewed in defense of CIG, he’s giving up The Dream?

Oh well, he can cherish his memories of all the people he alienated and drove away from /sc. Those memories will last a lifetime.

SQB's turn is exactly why I say none of the fallout is going to be as bad as people here fantasize about. Here's a guy who basically agrees with us 100% at this point, but he still will never get a refund, because that would be admitting he made a mistake. He'll continue to be corrosive and toxic to everyone around him while sliding on to the next game (looks like his poison of choice is PU Battlegrounds).

I think that's the strategy of Star Citizen in 2018- ride out the declining interest as the playerbase quietly deserts, with no real climax or denoument. Assuming the lawsuits fizzle or drag on, CIG can afford to hang on until nobody cares anymore and then, at last, they'll turn out the lights. A good counterpoint to this would be them rolling out a new marketing push or any kind of base-building hype generator. I just don't see that happening.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

D_Smart posted:

ANY implementation of a radar scan HAS to know the position of an entity being scanned, that location data not only needs to be obtained, stored, and updated - in real time - but that CANNOT be done without actually having accurate position data for the entity being scanned.

Back in 2014 when Chris and backers were figuratively intoxicated with dreams they thought they would be able to code all of this in non-Speed of light communications. I of course heard about it was after the fact but that still stands out to me as one of the most absurd dreams.

2014 Chris: "in our universe there is no FTL communication. Basically communication happens at the speed the ship can travel or a radio wave can travel in system."

2014 Chris: "The way that the communications are gonna work is that it travels our in-fiction communication's speed. Which means that when you're in-system and someone beams a message, it gets beamed at the speed of light, and it gets beamed to a relay station, or a message station. This is in the structured universe where the UEE runs it and there's a lot of infrastructure. So one of these stations is right by a jump point so it gets all the information and then it will launch out a message drone or a messenger ship. It goes through the jump point to the other side, where there's probably another relay station, it's collected, then the data gets beamed across to another relay station and so-on and so-forth if it has to go multiple systems."

Not surprisingly that didn't work out, I think a dev said something or all the talk about Spectrum made it clear. Communications were going to be instant even across long distances.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
"The system to system information relay was just too complicated..."

"Couldn't get the drone system working?"

"We couldn't get the ramp it rolled off of working!"

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Virtual Captain posted:

Not surprisingly that didn't work out, I think a dev said something or all the talk about Spectrum made it clear. Communications were going to be instant even across long distances.

And then they surely gave some compensation the people that bought the butt-plug data runner ship, right?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ManofManyAliases posted:

What is wrong with people?

Ben was a lovely community manager who allowed toxicity to flourish through a combination of neglect and unprofessionalism that stemmed directly from CIG's emphasis on cronyism over competence.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Titanic posted:

Insufficiently Advanced Alien is part of the standard power fantasy of the republican space future genre of works, which is basically all that Chris Roberts knows how to write. In Republican Space Future, the author releases the repressed part of their id that continually tells them that 1950's norms for gender, politics, social programs, and the military were the golden age and that all we need to get back there is some kind of unifying outside threat. If only we could put down our differences they say, and remember our differences- the ones that make us stronger.

In Republican Space Future, an authoritarian military has basically dominated humanity's politics. They had to because there is always an alien species, usually more than one, and the species is simultaneously the greatest threat to survival that mankind has ever known, and also hilariously inept and easily overcome with very simple tactics. This gives military people a great opportunity to be heroes, which of course leads naturally to whole generations of hard-boiled RSF men running everything forever. Life's funny that way I guess. Republican Space Future has forgotten that colored people exist. However, the aliens are suspiciously similar to one or more races that the RSF author views as "Exotic." Mysterious orientals or savage tribesmen, typically. RSF authors do not, under any circumstances, use aliens as a mirror to examine humanity- they are always racial stereotype punching bags, full stop.

In RSF everyone is in the army, usually the marines. Even the air force has been rolled up into the marines. RSF authors idolize the marines- they have been positioned in the author's subconscious as a masculine ideal. The questionable utility of infantry in a space war does not occur to the RSF author. Because everyone is in the military, there is no need to deal with social issues arising from endless war or authoritarian regimes. Poverty? Never heard of it, the army provides. RSF has women in command positions as well, but mysteriously they always seem to become background narrators or plucky sidekicks when the action begins. Gender inequality? Do you see that lady over there, chained to the torture wall slightly behind Captain Gristlejaw? She's a lieutenant! That means RSF has got equality, you loving liberal.

Sometimes really enlightened RSF authors will make a nod towards class war or inequality by including pirates and/or rebels. Pirates are grubby, live in cobbled together shacks, and always prey on the weak, further reinforcing the absolute need for military dominance everywhere at all times. Pirates are a credible threat to the military superpower despite basically being two inches from death at all times. Inevitably, piracy is where brown and sometimes even black people are allowed to appear. Occasionally it is acknowledged that pirate rebels may have a point, but then they betray Sergeant Meatfuck and all get wiped out in turn by the shifty backstabbing oriental aliens.

The military in RSF is frequently corrupt, because even the RSF author has internalized by now that militaries are kind of lovely. But it's okay because the corrupt people inevitably cross Lieutenant Cocksmite and from that point on their fate is sealed. Either they too will be killed by shifty aliens or the good Lt. will be forced to "Render them combat-ineffective" at some critical moment in the plot. The author reasons that as long as underlings are willing to murder the figures of absolute authority above them and nobody ever faces repercussions, the whole social order can keep ticking merrily along.

RSF technology does not make any sense. This is universal to all RSF stories. People can talk to each other in real-time regardless of lightyears distance, because the author doesn't want to think about comms lag. But ships always take arbitrarily long to fly around- is it days, or weeks? Some amount of time! The RSF author does not spend any time considering whether autonomous weapons would be more effective than shipping canned apes around to various parts of the galaxy. That is because the author wants to write about marines, on marine ships, and they don't really want to think about the ramifications of that. Artificial intelligence does not exist in RSF unless it is in the form of plucky sidekicks. AI's would probably be smarter than John Gunfist and anything smarter than the protagonist is going to turn out to be evil.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Quavers posted:

I'm not sure if that was already spotted, but long-time shill Stupid_Question_Bot has folded. From this 9 months ago:

...to a few days ago:

:ohdear:

Star Citizer: they can keep my $1752 because I'm not a pussy bitch

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

In RSF everyone is in the army, usually the marines. Even the air force has been rolled up into the marines. RSF authors idolize the marines- they have been positioned in the author's subconscious as a masculine ideal. The questionable utility of infantry in a space war does not occur to the RSF author. Because everyone is in the military, there is no need to deal with social issues arising from endless war or authoritarian regimes. Poverty? Never heard of it, the army provides. RSF has women in command positions as well, but mysteriously they always seem to become background narrators or plucky sidekicks when the action begins. Gender inequality? Do you see that lady over there, chained to the torture wall slightly behind Captain Gristlejaw? She's a lieutenant! That means RSF has got equality, you loving liberal.

You forgot one key aspect of this: loving means absolutely nothing and it is totally normalized for Lance Corporal Atomcock to bang it out with any semi-willing (BUT VERY EQUAL) lady marine at any given point, and then bang it out with a different lady marine the next night because in the Republican Space Future loving your coworkers is taken about as seriously as the weekly rotating "clean the break room" schedule your boss made up and never enforced.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

In Republican Space Future, the author releases the repressed part of their id that continually tells them that 1950's norms for gender, politics, social programs, and the military were the golden age and that all we need to get back there is some kind of unifying outside threat. If only we could put down our differences they say, and remember our differences- the ones that make us stronger.

Who is Robert Heinlein?

Beet Wagon posted:

You forgot one key aspect of this: loving means absolutely nothing and it is totally normalized for Lance Corporal Atomcock to bang it out with any semi-willing (BUT VERY EQUAL) lady marine at any given point, and then bang it out with a different lady marine the next night because in the Republican Space Future loving your coworkers is taken about as seriously as the weekly rotating "clean the break room" schedule your boss made up and never enforced.

Yeah, definitely Heinlein.

Same people who like Heinlein often admit to SM Stirling leanings, too. 'Marching Across Georgia' is an interesting alt-history romp, but the Drakken book series takes quite the right turn into a fantasy of a resurgent south transplanted to South Africa.

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 26, 2018

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

G0RF posted:

:thumbsup:

Well that’s a surprising turn. After all the toxicity he’s spewed in defense of CIG, he’s giving up The Dream?

Oh well, he can cherish his memories of all the people he alienated and drove away from /sc. Those memories will last a lifetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVvIKwwU8uE

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

Who is Robert Heinlein?

Yeah, definitely Heinlein.

See Also:
  • The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
  • Old Man's War by John Scalzi
  • Armor by John Steakley
  • Every Battletech book that ever mentioned the Clans
  • Probably a dozen others I forgot or never read

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

This is a page ripped right out of Future Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeetE6uSmtI&t=46s

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

See Also:
  • Armor by John Steakley

I'm gonna take exception to the Scalzi one based on the context. After you haven't had sex for twenty years, you're going to fraternize the hell out of curved furniture. If anything he tries extremely heavily to subvert the genre.

Joe Haldeman and Whatshisface Drake are the shining lights of the genre, but only Heinlein had the 'Ship's Tail'.

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 26, 2018

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:allears: Ah, good times

EDIT: Oh, my old avatar is back. Thanks Goon! (whoever spent 10 bux on that)

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 26, 2018

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Quavers posted:

I'm not sure if that was already spotted, but long-time shill Stupid_Question_Bot has folded. From this 9 months ago:

...to a few days ago:

:ohdear:

There is a story to be told about SQB... about a lot of things actually... when this show is all over.

Let me just say that he was far from a shill and returned to a Community and Game he did not understand after a year of Absence.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sarsapariller posted:

Insufficiently Advanced Alien is part of the standard power fantasy of the republican space future genre of works, which is basically all that Chris Roberts knows how to write. In Republican Space Future, the author releases the repressed part of their id that continually tells them that 1950's norms for gender, politics, social programs, and the military were the golden age and that all we need to get back there is some kind of unifying outside threat. If only we could put down our differences they say, and remember our differences- the ones that make us stronger.

In Republican Space Future, an authoritarian military has basically dominated humanity's politics. They had to because there is always an alien species, usually more than one, and the species is simultaneously the greatest threat to survival that mankind has ever known, and also hilariously inept and easily overcome with very simple tactics. This gives military people a great opportunity to be heroes, which of course leads naturally to whole generations of hard-boiled RSF men running everything forever. Life's funny that way I guess. Republican Space Future has forgotten that colored people exist. However, the aliens are suspiciously similar to one or more races that the RSF author views as "Exotic." Mysterious orientals or savage tribesmen, typically. RSF authors do not, under any circumstances, use aliens as a mirror to examine humanity- they are always racial stereotype punching bags, full stop.

Sometimes really enlightened RSF authors will make a nod towards class war or inequality by including pirates and/or rebels. Pirates are grubby, live in cobbled together shacks, and always prey on the weak, further reinforcing the absolute need for military dominance everywhere at all times. Pirates are a credible threat to the military superpower despite basically being two inches from death at all times. Inevitably, piracy is where brown and sometimes even black people are allowed to appear. Occasionally it is acknowledged that pirate rebels may have a point, but then they betray Sergeant Meatfuck and all get wiped out in turn by the shifty backstabbing oriental aliens.

The military in RSF is frequently corrupt, because even the RSF author has internalized by now that militaries are kind of lovely. But it's okay because the corrupt people inevitably cross Lieutenant Cocksmite and from that point on their fate is sealed. Either they too will be killed by shifty aliens or the good Lt. will be forced to "Render them combat-ineffective" at some critical moment in the plot. The author reasons that as long as underlings are willing to murder the figures of absolute authority above them and nobody ever faces repercussions, the whole social order can keep ticking merrily along.

RSF technology does not make any sense. This is universal to all RSF stories. People can talk to each other in real-time regardless of lightyears distance, because the author doesn't want to think about comms lag. But ships always take arbitrarily long to fly around- is it days, or weeks? Some amount of time! The RSF author does not spend any time considering whether autonomous weapons would be more effective than shipping canned apes around to various parts of the galaxy. That is because the author wants to write about marines, on marine ships, and they don't really want to think about the ramifications of that. Artificial intelligence does not exist in RSF unless it is in the form of plucky sidekicks. AI's would probably be smarter than John Gunfist and anything smarter than the protagonist is going to turn out to be evil.

:allears:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Ben was a lovely community manager who allowed toxicity to flourish through a combination of neglect and unprofessionalism that stemmed directly from CIG's emphasis on cronyism over competence.

:same:

----------------

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

how would all this in non-Speed of light communication even work?

Whelp, I'm stranded in the middle of dead space with no means to quickly communicate with a rescue party! What should I do?
*Logs into Skype or Spectrum or Facebook or Reddit or Twitter DMs or Instagram or picks up a goddamn telephone*

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

hot balls man no homo posted:

Whelp, I'm stranded in the middle of dead space with no means to quickly communicate with a rescue party! What should I do?
*Logs into Skype or Spectrum or Facebook or Reddit or Twitter DMs or Instagram or picks up a goddamn telephone*

That would break immersion though. :colbert:

----------------

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

You're ruining my immersion. CIG ban this filth.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

the game actively scans your system and cell phone and irl mailbox for any messages related to star citizen

if you are found in violation your account is canceled and all your spaceship jpgs are slowly burned in ben's trashcan

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/CRTASnq.gifv

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/968226739234201600

----------------

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Russell Crowe are you not entertained dot jpg

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Russell Buzzard dot jpg

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Lladre posted:

Just wanted to say that I called it that Derek would paste in here his alt's :reddit: praise-post after having it gassed by Beet.

https://i.imgur.com/HpshEIu.gifv

If you think THAT'S cute....

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
G0RF, you are a treasure.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Meanwhile, over at that other hate Sub

quote:

In a thread about Star Citizen and Derek Smart on a german forum a user posted a link to an article of the german gamestar magazine from 2014. Quite remarkable is not only to read this article today, about four years later and comparing what was promised or was said to be right around the corner, and what is here today. But in particular a picture in the article that might be the perfectly condensed image of the relationship between the CIG and the big players in the gaming press in the early days in particular. The journalist of the magazine (left) literally went to bed with the Roberts brothers to get a glimpse of the newest, hottest Star Citizen software. This was and is the quality journalism in the gaming media offering its readers grounded and critical analysis of what is going on. Although as someone who teaches social science methodology including qualitative interview techniques I have to admit there might be a minor risk about losing the ability to critically reflect the positions of your informants

http://www.gamestar.de/artikel/star-citizen-chris-roberts-greift-nach-den-sternen,3056240,seite3.html):

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hav posted:

Who is Robert Heinlein?

Heinlein is kind of the proto-RSF both because he was actually writing in the 1950's as opposed to pining for them, and because he goes full on crypto-fascist incest porn in some of his later stuff.

Beet Wagon posted:

See Also:
  • Armor by John Steakley

• Halo Games And Novels
  • The Commonwealth Saga- Peter F. Hamilton
  • The Uplift Saga- David Brin
  • Every Warhammer Novel Ever
  • Every Wing Commander Thing Ever