Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vil posted:

You can, however, lock yourself out of the default ending by never doing it until you qualify for the true ending.

There are also a few mutually-exclusive achievements, specifically related to how you handle:

Zote
Nailsmith
Grimm Troupe

Yeah I ended up missing the "Neglect" and "Witness" achievements and to be honest I don't really think I'd want to get either of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Fact, if a surviving mob kills you on the collector when he's on his final death, you gotta do it all over again!

I wasn't paying attention and got hit by the fly.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ambivalent posted:

you can't lock yourself out of a later ending, no, if you ever beat the game, the save reloads to just in front of the boss

Thanks, went ahead and did the normal ending. That fight and what happens after it was honestly kind of a downer (as in bummer, not a let-down)

Also without even realizing it I finished the game with 100% completion in 21 hours...when the achievement for a fast 100% run is sub-20 :sad:

Still have Trial of the Fool, Failed Champion, and Soul Tyrant to look forward to in addition to White Palace and Path of Pain. They don't gently caress around with this endgame stuff!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 26, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fargin Icehole posted:

Fact, if a surviving mob kills you on the collector when he's on his final death, you gotta do it all over again!

I wasn't paying attention and got hit by the fly.

On a bright note, I do love that when you come back, your Shade is being kept inside one of the jars :3:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Unlucky7 posted:

Question about (Or related to, rather) the Dream Nail:

So, uh, I unintentionally pasted the Gravekeeper ghost at Dirtmouth. I thought I would just read his mind :(. Did he do anything special?

Also, do we know when the third DLC pack is released? I am tempted to shelve the game or at least slow down my pace until it comes out.

None of the ghosts you can eat with the dream nail do anything important. Once you hear their dialogue they have served their purpose.

Jerusalem posted:

On a bright note, I do love that when you come back, your Shade is being kept inside one of the jars :3:

That is not bright. That is the opposite of bright.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am about 10 hours in, but I am guessing the normal ending is just beating the three dreamers, then whoever/whatever they were hiding, with no frills

Also, I don't think I can get myself to eat the ghosts in the sanctuary area that the moth opens for you. Feels like a dick move.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 26, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Same. I got the tree-essence, I don't need to hurt these resting souls.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
White Palace down :toot: That was alright I guess, the worst part was some very stingy respawn points for certain portions. I also got confused at the end and almost walked out without the reward.

Now that I have that reward and its counterpart...I don't know where to go next :sweatdrop: I had one idea of what to do next (using the Dream Nail on the fountain in the Abyss) but that wants me to do something else first. I think I once heard someone say that the Fungal Core area is important near the very end of the game but I have no idea how you would figure that out in-game, unless I'm not supposed to go there just yet. Time to explore some more!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

C-Euro posted:

White Palace down :toot: That was alright I guess, the worst part was some very stingy respawn points for certain portions. I also got confused at the end and almost walked out without the reward.

Now that I have that reward and its counterpart...I don't know where to go next :sweatdrop: I had one idea of what to do next (using the Dream Nail on the fountain in the Abyss) but that wants me to do something else first. I think I once heard someone say that the Fungal Core area is important near the very end of the game but I have no idea how you would figure that out in-game, unless I'm not supposed to go there just yet. Time to explore some more!

Spoilers for what to do next with what you have to get closer to the final ending:

There's a new path at the bottom of the Abyss.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Arrhythmia posted:

Spoilers for what to do next with what you have to get closer to the final ending:

Not necessarily. From the sound of things I think that poster hasn't been to Queen's Garden yet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bogart posted:

Same. I got the tree-essence, I don't need to hurt these resting souls.

Yeah, the guardian at the start warns you not to start any poo poo either, and there was plenty of essence to be found elsewhere without disturbing their rest.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Ostensibly yes, but those Failed Champion and Grey Prince fights are hard.

well, the fact that I'm bad at videogames doesn't help.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah Grey Prince is pretty hard when you've beaten him 9 times and boosted his damage to the point where he one shots you

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I honestly struggled more with NKG than GPZ+10 because by the time I got to that point I had his entire moveset memorised.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/kakuredo/status/967424880835674112
:3: :toot:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

Not necessarily. From the sound of things I think that poster hasn't been to Queen's Garden yet.

I've been there, so I have both halves of the Kingsoul.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Then this is what you need:

Arrhythmia posted:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Dancer posted:

Then this is what you need:

How are you supposed to know to do that? I'm genuinely asking, I don't remember. I mean, I did it, I just don't know what sent me there.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

OzFactor posted:

How are you supposed to know to do that? I'm genuinely asking, I don't remember. I mean, I did it, I just don't know what sent me there.

the kingsoul "opens the way to a birthplace"

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I had been at the locked door before, so when I got the kingsoul I figured that had to be what opened the door. But for a bunch of the more obscure things (like abyssal shriek), I just checked the wiki.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mymla posted:

I had been at the locked door before, so when I got the kingsoul I figured that had to be what opened the door. But for a bunch of the more obscure things (like abyssal shriek), I just checked the wiki.

Wait, you knew that the patch of ground indistinguishable from the rest of patches of ground was a door? :thunk:

you're probably thinking of the King's Brand

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Oh right, yeah.

I think I checked the wiki to find the white palace and really most of the good ending stuff, too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
So...any advice on beating the true final boss? Because hoo boy did that thing run me over on my first few attempts, even with Unbreakable Strength.

Also, I'm missing two Mask Shards, and while I know that one of them is the flower quest I'm not sure where the other one is. I'm guessing that it's one I saw in the early game and couldn't get without a power-up, and then promptly forgot about it once I did get the needed power-up. Any Mask Shards that would fit that description?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

C-Euro posted:

So...any advice on beating the true final boss? Because hoo boy did that thing run me over on my first few attempts, even with Unbreakable Strength.

Also, I'm missing two Mask Shards, and while I know that one of them is the flower quest I'm not sure where the other one is. I'm guessing that it's one I saw in the early game and couldn't get without a power-up, and then promptly forgot about it once I did get the needed power-up. Any Mask Shards that would fit that description?

Makes sure you have the upgraded version of Howling Wraiths (the up spell) and then equip Shaman Stone and Spell Twister. The Radiance is very easy to get the full three hits on, and a full Abyss Shriek with Shaman Stone equipped deals 120 damage. To give context, that's six times the damage of a Pure Nail swing, or three times a Strength-boosted Pure Nail.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I used unbreakable strength and quickslash, then mashed attack a lot.

Not going to spoiler that.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
You know what? I bet I can do the Trial of the fool in one go, I have no idea what im in for. Let's do this

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hubris is for bitches.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Actually did it one go. That poo poo was pretty intense and I almost lost it on the boxed in sections where I couldn't heal. The Last part of the fight was really easy if you have quick slash. You can sneak in 5 hits before the little guy does anything.

I had soul catcher, long nail, quick focus, and something else as my brooch pins

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Found that Mask Shard I was missing. Time to do the flower quest and finally max out my health :negative:

Also what's up with the mushroom with a human face that I found in Fungal Wastes, the one that speaks in gibberish but has actual dialogue if you Dream Nail it?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

C-Euro posted:

Found that Mask Shard I was missing. Time to do the flower quest and finally max out my health :negative:

Also what's up with the mushroom with a human face that I found in Fungal Wastes, the one that speaks in gibberish but has actual dialogue if you Dream Nail it?

Maybe you have a charm that could help you interact with Fungi?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Discendo Vox posted:

Maybe you have a charm that could help you interact with Fungi?

I tried talking to it with the fungal spore charm equipped and it seemed to react to that, except not the first time I spoke to it? I know that each time you speak to it it moves to another location in the world, is there any merit to seeing that sequence all the way through?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

C-Euro posted:

I tried talking to it with the fungal spore charm equipped and it seemed to react to that, except not the first time I spoke to it? I know that each time you speak to it it moves to another location in the world, is there any merit to seeing that sequence all the way through?

There's an achievement for meeting him at all locations and seeing the new ending scene. If you don't care about achievements just youtube it.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

C-Euro posted:

You get more of his cryptic dialogue which gives some pretty important lore hints and a short extra cutscene at the end, that's all though.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Lifeblood update just dropped! Includes new stuff along with improvements to the game system brought about by the Switch port.

http://teamcherry.com.au/lifeblood-update/

Still no release date for that Switch release, sadly. They still seem in the home stretch but this particular stretch seems quite stretchier than usual.

E: Oh wow I didn't even realize it, but this isn't the God's and Glory update, this is basically just another free patch out of nowhere.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 24, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah, I'm really curious about which boss got the upgrade and who the new one is. That music teaser sounds good

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Knorth posted:

Yeah, I'm really curious about which boss got the upgrade and who the new one is. That music teaser sounds good

According to the discord, the updated one is Traitor Lord and the new one is someone in the Hive

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ooh, those are good choices

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

SirSamVimes posted:

According to the discord, the updated one is Traitor Lord and the new one is someone in the Hive

Excellent, I thought that felt kind of missing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

the new one is someone in the Hive

That's good, it always felt weird there wasn't actually a boss to fight in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A Good Boss.